Steam Cloud Play Beta Launches

Valve announces the Steam Cloud Play Beta, confirming their plans for cloud gaming that were recently unearthed by a dataminer (thanks VG247). This also confirms a collaboration with NVIDIA's GeForce NOW, which is the first service this is connected with. They explain how to apply to participate and outline what's involved:
Steam Cloud Play is currently in Beta and features are being added over time. We are now accepting a limited amount of games into the service as we continue to build features and server capacity for players. The first service we are connecting to Steam to allow users to play games from their Steam Library from the Cloud is Nvidia GeForce NOW. There are more details below about how to opt your game(s) into the service as well as answers to a few common questions below.

Currently Nvidia GeForce NOW is available in North America, Western Europe and Asia Pacific. Currently, Steam users will need to download the GeForce Now client and connect their Steam account to the GFN service to play their Steam Library. The user may pay a subscription cost to use the GFN service. Customers will continue to acquire games on Steam the same way they do today, and partner payouts will remain the same.

These cloud services enable Steam users to play their Steam library in the cloud, one game at a time, like they can on their local PC. Developers must manually opt-in the games they wish to make available on GeForce NOW.
View : : :
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Steam Cloud Play Beta Launches
May 29, 2020, 09:19
Re: Steam Cloud Play Beta Launches May 29, 2020, 09:19
May 29, 2020, 09:19

Geez, I can just barely tolerate the extra display latency when playing games on my TV vs. monitor. It's about 50ms of extra latency. Granted, my TV probably sucks. Can't imagine trying to stream junk on top of that.

Maybe it would work for card games - Hearthstone, Slay the Spire, etc... but anything with 3d navigation would drive me bananas. Not to mention trying to aim, or time jumps properly...

May 28, 2020, 18:26
Re: Steam Cloud Play Beta Launches May 28, 2020, 18:26
May 28, 2020, 18:26

Sepharo wrote on May 28, 2020, 17:24:
This is kinda weird right?
Like what about this is "Steam Cloud"?
I thought the whole point of GeForce NOW was that it let you play games you already otherwise owned... so this is just Steam/Valve being okay with that? K then.

The story here doesn't make it quite clear, but this is not a public announcement, the snippet comes from the Steamworks developer knowledgebase. It isn't a user-facing feature -- they still have to go through GeForce Now -- but a back-end integration for participating games.

Notice that other story about NVIDIA throwing their hands up in air and being done with trying to add games to their service, just to have the publisher come back and demand they're pulled? They decided that from now on, publishers have to opt in to have their game available through GeForce Now, and with this partnership and Steamworks integration, VALVE is handling that process for any game they sell. I bet they will be promoting GFN in some ways, too.

May 28, 2020, 17:24
Re: Steam Cloud Play Beta Launches May 28, 2020, 17:24
May 28, 2020, 17:24

This is kinda weird right?
Like what about this is "Steam Cloud"?
I thought the whole point of GeForce NOW was that it let you play games you already otherwise owned... so this is just Steam/Valve being okay with that? K then.

Re: Major Tom to ISP.. my connection is down again..
May 28, 2020, 17:22
Re: Major Tom to ISP.. my connection is down again.. May 28, 2020, 17:22
May 28, 2020, 17:22

WitcherOntheProwl wrote on May 28, 2020, 17:02:
Mainly like games you can download. I am not a fan of streaming games. So I'm 99 percent sure I'll never use this service. Since a lot of people have data caps, this is a bad idea in general.

But also if your say on a laptop somewhere and don't have the specs or disk space this would be a good alt.
Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

Re: Major Tom to ISP.. my connection is down again..
May 28, 2020, 17:18
Re: Major Tom to ISP.. my connection is down again.. May 28, 2020, 17:18
May 28, 2020, 17:18

It's not for everyone but if you're invested in Steam like everyone else here and have the bandwidth, it's a good value.

I wasn't that impressed with GeForce NOW when I tried it awhile back but Valve says that they're interested in adding other streaming gaming services in the future. Maybe Amazon's upcoming offering?

Major Tom to ISP.. my connection is down again..
May 28, 2020, 17:02
Major Tom to ISP.. my connection is down again.. May 28, 2020, 17:02
May 28, 2020, 17:02

Mainly like games you can download. I am not a fan of streaming games. So I'm 99 percent sure I'll never use this service. Since a lot of people have data caps, this is a bad idea in general.
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older