Minecraft Dungeons Released

The Minecraft Website announces the release of Minecraft Dungeons, saying action/RPG based on the world of Minecraft is now available for Windows, Xbox One, Xbox Game Pass, PlayStation 4, and Switch. This can be picked up through the Minecraft Dungeons Website. You can see the game in action in the Official Launch Trailer and dig into the details below:
Bumped your head recently and can’t remember what the deal is with this game? Well, put down that iron pickaxe and grab a proper weapon, because the Arch-Illager is on the loose – and it’s up to you to save the world from his evil plan! Inspired by classic dungeon crawlers, Minecraft Dungeons allows up to four players to team up – online or in the living room. It retains the original game’s blocky charm, but instead of mining and crafting, you will be fighting and exploring through action-packed, treasure-stuffed, and wildly varied levels to defeat relentless swarms of new-and-nasty mobs.

Can't choose between playing as a sword-swinging fighter or spellcasting mage? Good news, my indecisive friend: you don’t have to! There are no classes in Minecraft Dungeons; you essentially are what you wear. This means that you can switch your specialty whenever you come across new, more powerful items as you adventure through the procedurally-generated canyons, swamps and – of course – mines! But why read about the game when there’s a shiny new launch trailer waiting for you? Take a look:
View : : :
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Minecraft Dungeons Released
May 26, 2020, 21:22
Re: Minecraft Dungeons Released May 26, 2020, 21:22
May 26, 2020, 21:22

Tipsy McStagger wrote on May 26, 2020, 11:52:
Well that wasn't what I was expecting...

Ok, 11 years ago I purchased minecraft off his website for 10$ because I saw it on 4chan. Played a little thought it was cool but it was really missing was NPCs and such to really be cool. I thought, "If they just had Daggerfall like NPCs and towns, this could be a lot cooler" or even if they had Dwarf Fortress Adventure mode but in Minecraft style.

So I see this, think.. "Oh did they finally do that in a small way?" and then realize it's just a Diablo/Path of Exile/Grim Dawn type game except with minecraft block design.

Now, anyone up on this in the last 11 years. Does anything like above exist?

I remember reading Notch talk about wanting to add some DF like features waaaay back when. But then again, he said a lot of things while not necessarily delivering.

May 26, 2020, 15:08
Re: Minecraft Dungeons Released May 26, 2020, 15:08
May 26, 2020, 15:08

Minecraft certainly tends to be very polarized. Generally you either love it or truly dislike it. Even though my creative abilities are limited, I've had three separate surges in it -- only ever used minor mods. This addition doesn't really seem to fit, and I doubt it is sufficient to fill the desires of those looking for something of this nature.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

May 26, 2020, 15:03
Re: Minecraft Dungeons Released May 26, 2020, 15:03
May 26, 2020, 15:03

TheBigVlad wrote on May 26, 2020, 14:23:
Ok, 11 years ago I purchased minecraft off his website for 10$ because I saw it on 4chan. Played a little thought it was cool but it was really missing was NPCs and such to really be cool. I thought, "If they just had Daggerfall like NPCs and towns, this could be a lot cooler" or even if they had Dwarf Fortress Adventure mode but in Minecraft style.

You sound just like me. I bought Minecraft ages ago and they went in a completely different direction with it than I was hoping. I also was hoping for a light 'DF Adventure Mode' type of game with NPCs, towns and quests, more advanced enemies and AI, etc. Instead, they focused strictly on the block-building stuff. Which is great, but not really my thing. If they had gone in the direction I wanted, they probably wouldn't have had nearly the success they had, so what do I know?

If you are still looking for a game like that I found Portal Knight is a nice mix of quests and building:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/374040/Portal_Knights/

May 26, 2020, 14:23
Re: Minecraft Dungeons Released May 26, 2020, 14:23
May 26, 2020, 14:23

You sound just like me. I bought Minecraft ages ago and they went in a completely different direction with it than I was hoping. I also was hoping for a light 'DF Adventure Mode' type of game with NPCs, towns and quests, more advanced enemies and AI, etc. Instead, they focused strictly on the block-building stuff. Which is great, but not really my thing. If they had gone in the direction I wanted, they probably wouldn't have had nearly the success they had, so what do I know?

May 26, 2020, 13:43
El Pit

Re: Minecraft Dungeons Released May 26, 2020, 13:43
May 26, 2020, 13:43
 El Pit

HorrorScope wrote on May 26, 2020, 13:37:
Diablo meets Lego's.

Difference: the Lego games are usually fun.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

May 26, 2020, 13:37
Re: Minecraft Dungeons Released May 26, 2020, 13:37
May 26, 2020, 13:37

Diablo meets Lego's.

May 26, 2020, 13:35
El Pit

Re: Minecraft Dungeons Released May 26, 2020, 13:35
May 26, 2020, 13:35
 El Pit

Short, shallow - this is more like Diablo 0.5 or even 0.3
It was clearly made for kids with short attention spans. I recommend the review by Skill Up.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

May 26, 2020, 12:55
Re: Minecraft Dungeons Released May 26, 2020, 12:55
May 26, 2020, 12:55

They don't have dialogue or give you quests or anything, but Minecraft had NPC villages added to it years ago. They'll sell you items for a specific type of gem and you can 'borrow' their food and furniture and stuff, but that's about it.

May 26, 2020, 11:52
Re: Minecraft Dungeons Released May 26, 2020, 11:52
May 26, 2020, 11:52

Well that wasn't what I was expecting...

So I see this, think.. "Oh did they finally do that in a small way?" and then realize it's just a Diablo/Path of Exile/Grim Dawn type game except with minecraft block design.

Now, anyone up on this in the last 11 years. Does anything like above exist?
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older