Soldat Source Code

A new post on Steam announces the release of the source code for Soldat, the side-scrolling multiplayer shooter first released back in 2002. The game itself is free-to-play on Steam, where it's described like so: "Soldat is a unique 2D (side-view) multiplayer action game. It has been influenced by the best of games such as Liero, Worms, Quake, and Counter-Strike and provides a fast-paced gaming experience with tons of blood and flesh." The open source announcement reminisces about the game's history and goes into more detail about the release. Word is the source is actually for a more advanced version of the game than the one you can play right now:
Anyone interested in expanding, improving and fixing Soldat or simply interested in how it was made can now do so with the open source version. I hope this will spawn many amazing creations, mods and even full-conversions.

The current public version 1.7.1 (the one playable from the homepage and from Steam) is different from the open source version 1.8. The source code for 1.7.1 is available on request for anyone willing to join the official dev team (just email us at support@thd.vg or contact on Discord). 1.8 is available from gitHub here.

There are two reasons for this double source:

1. To prevent easy to build hacks for the current public version until an anti-hack system is incorporated with the open source version 1.8
2. Soldat 1.8 source code changes have key differences and cannot be easily merged

Soldat 1.8 key differences:

• Source can be compiled with FreePascal (instead of Delphi 7)
  • Fully cross-platform
  • Uses well known libraries (SDL, OpenAL, GameNetworkingSockets, PhysFS)
  • Old GUI has been removed and needs replacing
  • Config files have been replaced with IdTech style Cvar’s
  • Major refactoring

In short version 1.8 allows for much more than 1.7.1.1 and we hope to see some amazing creations (like full conversions) built upon this.

More info on how to start developing the game here.

View : : :
2 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Soldat Source Code
May 26, 2020, 14:09
Re: Soldat Source Code May 26, 2020, 14:09
May 26, 2020, 14:09

oh yeaaa! i remember playing soldat back in the day... pretty fun game with friends

Re: Soldat Source Code
May 26, 2020, 12:40
Re: Soldat Source Code May 26, 2020, 12:40
May 26, 2020, 12:40

I got soul but I'm not a soldat...
"You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
2 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older