Out of the Blue

Word is our area is to enter phase one of a reopening plan on Tuesday. This will allow for the opening of construction, agriculture, forestry, fishing, hunting, manufacturing, and wholesale trade businesses as well as retail stores for curbside or in-store pickup or drop-offs. Here's hoping people continue to behave prudently and this goes well. Word is if it does, phase two will begin in a couple of weeks. I'm very eager for this stage, as it will allow professional services to reopen. I've been living with temporary front teeth for a long time now, and I am very excited at the prospect of finally getting them replaced permanently.

Obituary: Former Oklahoma State, Kentucky coach Eddie Sutton dies at 84.
Obituary: Hana Kimura Dead: Pro-Wrestler and 'Terrace House' Contestant Dies at 22.

Phase One Links
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Play

Brunch Link

Stories

Science
Thanks Max.

Media

The Funnies

View : : :
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
May 25, 2020, 13:27
Beamer

Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2020, 13:27
May 25, 2020, 13:27
 Beamer

As a reminder of where retired comes from:

Retired wrote on Mar 3, 2020, 08:29:
Beamer wrote on Mar 3, 2020, 08:00:
Jonjonz wrote on Mar 3, 2020, 07:30:
Health Care Suits, their (Trump vetted) message today:

* Don't buy masks they don't work
* If you don't buy them, then we can still buy them without shortages
* We need them as they magically only work for us
* Health Care lives are more important than yours

I think medical staff needing medical supplies makes perfect sense.

They don't work - the masks we use are for other things, like TB, other viruses, etc. The mask required is a lot more advanced than an N95 mask or similar you can buy at a store. N95 and the simple paper type or similar mask is for keeping FLUIDS out of your mouth, not air.

Thousands of people have died from the flu in the US. I am not worried about the coronavirus. Also wasn't worried about SARS or EBOLA. Wash your hands, stay home if you are sick, etc etc bla bla bla.

Nothing changes, just the media hysteria changes names.

From the CDC:
CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 32 million flu illnesses, 310,000 hospitalizations and 18,000 deaths from flu.

Please stop using Twitter and Facebook (and fake news) as well as please park the TDS when posting, it makes you look ridiculous. Use data and facts.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

March 3rd. Saying masks don't work. Saying this is just the flu. Whining about "TDS." Claiming to use "data and facts" while ignoring data and facts.

Batman was a scientist. "Retired" is Sean Hannity bullet points.

May 25, 2020, 13:25
Beamer

Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2020, 13:25
May 25, 2020, 13:25
 Beamer

Retired wrote on May 25, 2020, 12:47:
Beamer wrote on May 25, 2020, 10:15:
The CDC does not say cloth masks aren't effective. This is 3 days old.

What they do say is they do not prevent YOU from getting ill. They prevent YOU from getting OTHERS ill. Which is common sense. If you exhale into a mask, it will not spread as far.

I strongly suspect where some retired folks get their news, because it seems to have gone through a major spin cycle, rather than coming from direct sources.

ie: THEY ARE NOT EFFECTIVE. It also says use a mask when you can't social distance. (from the main page [url=CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain ]here[/url]) Your article also says,
The covering fits snugly against the sides of the face so there are no gaps
- which is not one single cloth covering I have seen.

Cloth also CATCHES everything, and I doubt the majority of people even WASH them. They wear them, then take them on and off with bare hands and then touch everything they own. Good luck dude.

Also, those 3 ply don't work. Only n95 is ok to use, and still if touched it is recommended it is sanitized.

Just social distance.

And you have no idea where I get my information. I receive mine from work, which is directed by the State of Minnesota and disseminated to the Cities in the State, but keep trying.

Your information is wrong, your reasoning is absurd.

"Masks don't work 100% of the time, so they're useless!" Seatbelts don't save 100% of the time. Bullet proof vests don't. Tuess they're not effective.

The saddest part is you see yourself as center, but you're not. You've been calling this the flu since day one, and constantly put out incorrect information as you try to downplay this.

May 25, 2020, 13:03
Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2020, 13:03
May 25, 2020, 13:03

Retired wrote on May 25, 2020, 12:47:
ie: THEY ARE NOT EFFECTIVE. It also says use a mask when you can't social distance. (from the main page [url=CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain ]here[/url]) Your article also says,
You are correct, they are not 100% effective. Are you suggesting wearing them is a waste of time? You are also correct about contact contamination. But again, something is better than nothing. And yes, even if you have a mask you should social distance whenever possible.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

May 25, 2020, 12:47
Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2020, 12:47
May 25, 2020, 12:47

Beamer wrote on May 25, 2020, 10:15:

What they do say is they do not prevent YOU from getting ill. They prevent YOU from getting OTHERS ill. Which is common sense. If you exhale into a mask, it will not spread as far.

I strongly suspect where some retired folks get their news, because it seems to have gone through a major spin cycle, rather than coming from direct sources.

Cloth also CATCHES everything, and I doubt the majority of people even WASH them. They wear them, then take them on and off with bare hands and then touch everything they own. Good luck dude.

Also, those 3 ply don't work. Only n95 is ok to use, and still if touched it is recommended it is sanitized.

Just social distance.

And you have no idea where I get my information. I receive mine from work, which is directed by the State of Minnesota and disseminated to the Cities in the State, but keep trying.

May 25, 2020, 10:42
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2020, 10:42
May 25, 2020, 10:42
 Verno

Ozmodan wrote on May 25, 2020, 09:34:
I am continually amazed at the idiots that think outdoor activities where you are not in proximity of anyone else is a problem. A friend was cited for fishing in Michigan the other day beyond ridiculous. I am aghast at some of these governors thinking they are mini Hitlers. What has become of this country?

The issue that people like to congregate. This weekend there were beaches and parks with thousands of people. I get it, people need the good weather and need to socialize. The problem is that many are just giving up on the social distancing factors. I saw photos and video of people almost right on top of each other. That isn't helpful to the overall situation until there is a vaccine. If we're going to lift lockdowns, people need to mindful and careful instead of just throwing caution to the wind.
Playing: FF7R
Watching: The Last Dance

May 25, 2020, 10:15
Beamer

Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2020, 10:15
May 25, 2020, 10:15
 Beamer

removed
May 25, 2020, 10:03
removed May 25, 2020, 10:03
May 25, 2020, 10:03

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 25, 2020, 10:32.
It is well known universally that I do not make mistakes--so, if you should happen across an error in that which I have written, please be assured that *I* did not write it!...:)

May 25, 2020, 09:34
Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2020, 09:34
May 25, 2020, 09:34

I am continually amazed at the idiots that think outdoor activities where you are not in proximity of anyone else is a problem. A friend was cited for fishing in Michigan the other day beyond ridiculous. I am aghast at some of these governors thinking they are mini Hitlers. What has become of this country?

May 25, 2020, 00:11
Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2020, 00:11
May 25, 2020, 00:11

Did anyone catch my drift
Blue will get his permanent front teeth. I posted the tooth emoji - all I want for Christmas is my two front teeth. https://youtu.be/I-iFsxSNN2c
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

May 25, 2020, 00:01
Re: Out of the Blue May 25, 2020, 00:01
May 25, 2020, 00:01

RedEye9 wrote on May 24, 2020, 14:37:
It will be like christmas. Bucktooth

This is how The Division started.
Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

May 24, 2020, 23:10
Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2020, 23:10
May 24, 2020, 23:10

RedEye9 wrote on May 24, 2020, 22:48:
jdreyer wrote on May 24, 2020, 22:16:
Simon Says wrote on May 24, 2020, 15:56:

And the gift is death.

This Tweet by God made me smile.

Good to see so many people back at church service today.

Many of them will be back for another church service in two to three weeks.
god got it right
Photo showing the swimming pool packed full of kids was disturbing

10's of thousand more will die because of the idiot on the throne and his source of misinformation, fox news. Texas is way behind on testing, our deaths our increasing and gawd does not appear to be on our side.

I don't see us going to a pool - that doesn't seem smart. Also cancelled my NFL season tickets. Each geographical area is different, and not just because of density. For instance, MN is the worst place for long term care facilities. I didn't know this until recently, but the true reason is because hospitals moved the sick to these facilities instead of treating them in the hospital.

Brought a guy to the hospital last night and spoke with staff. They said they have nothing to do and are very bored. Workers have been furloughed. They were happy to be in the sally port asking questions like "have you been around someone with 'rona, what is your temp, do you have a cough, for how long, etc." They were upbeat and fun to talk to. Helps that we have a pretty good relationship with most of them.

I am fine with my stance for my geographical area. I would probably feel different if I lived in NY.

May 24, 2020, 22:48
Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2020, 22:48
May 24, 2020, 22:48

jdreyer wrote on May 24, 2020, 22:16:

And the gift is death.

god got it right
Photo showing the swimming pool packed full of kids was disturbing

10's of thousand more will die because of the idiot on the throne and his source of misinformation, fox news. Texas is way behind on testing, our deaths our increasing and gawd does not appear to be on our side.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

May 24, 2020, 22:41
Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2020, 22:41
May 24, 2020, 22:41

Hana Kimura Dead: Pro-Wrestler and 'Terrace House' Contestant Dies at 22.

Suicide. Very sad. My Dreyerwife is a fan of this show, and is saddened by this news.

More context here, if you're interested.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

May 24, 2020, 22:37
Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2020, 22:37
May 24, 2020, 22:37

So much misinformation out there when it comes down to it - they don't have a clue what is going on. Even the CDC is contradicting itself on a weekly basis. This week they said the 'rona doesn't live on surfaces very long, that cloth masks don't work, and don't wear a mask if you aren't sick.

As to be expected, loonies are on both sides and crazy rules are being implemented or ignored. It is bananas.

We, as many others, are practicing herd immunity in our neighborhood. Most have been working from home or behaving as they were supposed to - so now all of the kids are playing.

CDC stated now that an exposure is "being within 6 feet of a symptomatic individual for at least 10 minutes".

We have been wearing PPEs (gloves, N95, and glasses) on every public interaction for weeks. If I get it, it will be from the grocery store when I pickup something and put it in my cart.....

I could see some businesses havign you sign something either in person or digitally when you enter their business (bars, food joints, etc.) as a liability waiver. Similar to what you have to do when you go to a bouncy house or indoor playplace like a trampoline park. The liability is huge for an organization that is already over taxed and running on reserves or borrowed money.

The bar and restaurant owners I know already have systems in place for online reservations (yes even the bars). You won't be able to just walk into the pub and get a pint or sit down to eat.

I say open it all up, let personal risk reign. Those who want to take the risk are free to do so - those who wish not to, also have that right. But don't pretend we aren't being exposed by all of the mail, package deliveries, food deliveries, groceries, etc. We won't know much about this for years.......

May 24, 2020, 22:16
Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2020, 22:16
May 24, 2020, 22:16

And the gift is death.

To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

May 24, 2020, 22:13
Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2020, 22:13
May 24, 2020, 22:13

The Shining at 40: will we ever fully understand what it all means?

Pretty sure we know what it means.

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy

May 24, 2020, 22:12
Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2020, 22:12
May 24, 2020, 22:12

Kxmode wrote on May 24, 2020, 18:12:
Rodents of unusual aggression? Not as bad as Rodents Of Unusual Size. They almost took the life of a legendary pirate and his fair maiden.

Hmm, I always thought the other aspects of the Fire Swamp were more dangerous...

May 24, 2020, 18:12
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2020, 18:12
May 24, 2020, 18:12
 Kxmode

Rodents of unusual aggression? Not as bad as Rodents Of Unusual Size. They almost took the life of a legendary pirate and his fair maiden.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

May 24, 2020, 17:59
Darks

Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2020, 17:59
May 24, 2020, 17:59
 Darks

fakespyder wrote on May 24, 2020, 16:59:
People around here are barely keeping to the social distancing guidelines now. While I share the desire for things to get back to normal, we're not doing ourselves any favours.
At least we're still at low numbers in terms of infected and deceased.
Best of luck to you guys.

Wait until after this weekend is over. The next two weeks will be a telling tale.

It all catches up to them sooner or later. just wait and see,
Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

May 24, 2020, 16:59
Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2020, 16:59
May 24, 2020, 16:59

People around here are barely keeping to the social distancing guidelines now. While I share the desire for things to get back to normal, we're not doing ourselves any favours.
At least we're still at low numbers in terms of infected and deceased.
Best of luck to you guys.
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older