34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Saturday Metaverse
May 26, 2020, 19:07
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 26, 2020, 19:07
May 26, 2020, 19:07

Enjoy wrote on May 25, 2020, 10:07:
? Are you making out with random people? Licking light poles? I mean - how are you getting it?

So THAT's how it spread across the entire world so quickly. Didn't it hit near valentine's..??

May 25, 2020, 20:12
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 25, 2020, 20:12
May 25, 2020, 20:12

ForgedReality wrote on May 25, 2020, 08:41:
What you don't get is that you're killing me and my family when you bring the shit home that you selfishly contracted [...] Should your victims be considered weeded out while you, the stupid fucking selfish asshole, remain alive?
I do get this, which is why I haven't left my house in 13 weeks. I think you missed the part where I alluded to people protesting isolation being idiots.

May 25, 2020, 13:50
Verno

Re: Saturday Metaverse May 25, 2020, 13:50
May 25, 2020, 13:50
 Verno

Retired wrote on May 25, 2020, 12:53:
If you believe crap that comes from China...….

I think you know I'm not an alarmist about the virus and I admit a healthy skepticism when it comes to data from China but when it's released by third parties and seems reasonable then I have no issue with it. The same thing has been looked at in Italy where I have no such concern by the way.
Playing: FF7R
Watching: The Last Dance

May 25, 2020, 13:37
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 25, 2020, 13:37
May 25, 2020, 13:37

nvrmnd
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

May 25, 2020, 13:29
Beamer

Re: Saturday Metaverse May 25, 2020, 13:29
May 25, 2020, 13:29
 Beamer

Retired wrote on May 25, 2020, 12:53:
Verno wrote on May 25, 2020, 10:26:
Retired wrote on May 25, 2020, 10:07:

? Are you making out with random people? Licking light poles? I mean - how are you getting it?

It's primarily spread through air droplet transmission. There were some interesting case studies done in Italy and China where you can literally follow the airflow from an air conditioner that had asymptomatic people in front of it which spread it in the path of airflow to people in the restaurant. You can get it from surfaces and touching your face though too obviously, though it is far less likely if people are washing their hands.

That being said, I don't feel Forged's comment is fair though, people are not "murderers" because they want lockdown lifted and there is no reason we can't be sensible in a careful, phased reopening of the country. Other countries have done this and been successful, we can too. We can't have an indefinite lockdown and I don't see anyone here proposing a date that is going to be OK so I'm assuming that's what they want. We just need to demand that from our leadership. We've bought time for the healthcare system with lockdowns and now they need to ramp up testing drastically. Test everyone. That's where leadership needs to put money and what we should be demanding that they do.

It's a really challenging situation in general because the approach that works in California is not going to work in New York. It requires coordination at every government level and a tailored approach depending on contextual factors. New York for example has many people in close proximity and a high uptake on mass transit users. Our federal government frankly has been failing us on this and other fronts related to COVID-19, regardless of the PR. We need to demand more from them.

No, if you believe the CDC, rather than believing the President.

The CDC is proven knowledgeable. The President is proven to try to downplay this. He has from the start.

Which sounds like someone else that keeps downplaying it.

May 25, 2020, 12:53
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 25, 2020, 12:53
May 25, 2020, 12:53

Verno wrote on May 25, 2020, 10:26:

It's primarily spread through air droplet transmission. There were some interesting case studies done in Italy and China where you can literally follow the airflow from an air conditioner that had asymptomatic people in front of it which spread it in the path of airflow to people in the restaurant. You can get it from surfaces and touching your face though too obviously, though it is far less likely if people are washing their hands.

That being said, I don't feel Forged's comment is fair though, people are not "murderers" because they want lockdown lifted and there is no reason we can't be sensible in a careful, phased reopening of the country. Other countries have done this and been successful, we can too. We can't have an indefinite lockdown and I don't see anyone here proposing a date that is going to be OK so I'm assuming that's what they want. We just need to demand that from our leadership. We've bought time for the healthcare system with lockdowns and now they need to ramp up testing drastically. Test everyone. That's where leadership needs to put money and what we should be demanding that they do.

It's a really challenging situation in general because the approach that works in California is not going to work in New York. It requires coordination at every government level and a tailored approach depending on contextual factors. New York for example has many people in close proximity and a high uptake on mass transit users. Our federal government frankly has been failing us on this and other fronts related to COVID-19, regardless of the PR. We need to demand more from them.

removed
May 25, 2020, 12:52
removed May 25, 2020, 12:52
May 25, 2020, 12:52

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 25, 2020, 12:59.

May 25, 2020, 10:26
Verno

Re: Saturday Metaverse May 25, 2020, 10:26
May 25, 2020, 10:26
 Verno

Playing: FF7R
Watching: The Last Dance

May 25, 2020, 10:19
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 25, 2020, 10:19
May 25, 2020, 10:19

What you don't get is that you're killing me and my family when you bring the shit home that you selfishly contracted and then spread to who knows how many others. You may be perfectly fine, maybe not even show symptoms, but you murder dozens of others who were trying to stay away from people. Should your victims be considered weeded out while you, the stupid fucking selfish asshole, remain alive?

Being under quarantine IS NOT FUCKING ABOUT YOU! Stop being fucking conceited and short-sighted!
Some don't understand science and that's why the quarantines and lockdowns are needed, to protect the rest of us.
Next thing you know is they'll say Rona can be spread by asymptomatic carriers. Of course the same non-science believer doesn't know what asymptomatic means, hence quarantined and lockdowns.

This comment was edited on May 25, 2020, 20:54.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.

removed
May 25, 2020, 10:09
Beamer

removed May 25, 2020, 10:09
May 25, 2020, 10:09
 Beamer

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 25, 2020, 12:59.

May 25, 2020, 10:07
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 25, 2020, 10:07
May 25, 2020, 10:07

Korrd wrote on May 23, 2020, 23:59:
Liberal tears, ever the retort of those without an actual argument. Schoolyard insults tend not to convince others of the soundness of your position.

Personally, though, I agree that it's time. Reopen everything--restaurants, hair salons, churches--but with a warning that it's not safe and social distancing should still be observed. Let the people make their decisions. Evolution isn't weeding out the stupid for us since we've gotten so good at keeping even the dumbest of us alive. We're overdue for a purge.

What you don't get is that you're killing me and my family when you bring the shit home that you selfishly contracted and then spread to who knows how many others. You may be perfectly fine, maybe not even show symptoms, but you murder dozens of others who were trying to stay away from people. Should your victims be considered weeded out while you, the stupid fucking selfish asshole, remain alive?

Being under quarantine IS NOT FUCKING ABOUT YOU! Stop being fucking conceited and short-sighted!

May 25, 2020, 08:41
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 25, 2020, 08:41
May 25, 2020, 08:41

Korrd wrote on May 23, 2020, 23:59:
Liberal tears, ever the retort of those without an actual argument. Schoolyard insults tend not to convince others of the soundness of your position.

Personally, though, I agree that it's time. Reopen everything--restaurants, hair salons, churches--but with a warning that it's not safe and social distancing should still be observed. Let the people make their decisions. Evolution isn't weeding out the stupid for us since we've gotten so good at keeping even the dumbest of us alive. We're overdue for a purge.

May 25, 2020, 04:41
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 25, 2020, 04:41
May 25, 2020, 04:41

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 24, 2020, 10:16:
Here's the problem:

Social distancing isn't working because a large majority of people aren't social distancing. It is a common problem here and I know it is also a common problem in Florida, Michigan, Washington, and Alabama as I have friends there who are reporting the same behavior I am witnessing here.

Hell, just last night on the local news, a video from a bar in Austin on 6th street showed people packing together at less than four feet of distance. At points you see a couple of groups shoulder to shoulder.

In addition, we are only testing people we suspect of being ill, as mentioned upthread. This is the most ass backwards approach possible outside of not testing at all. We will never get anywhere close to an accurate representation of the amount infected or how widespread the infection is.

Meanwhile, we have fucking morons holding rallys screaming about their "freedoms" while completely abrogating themselves of their responsibilities.
I think you mean "Freedumbs".
Not to mention the nutjobs who bring guns with them to backup just how dumb they are.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.

May 25, 2020, 01:35
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 25, 2020, 01:35
May 25, 2020, 01:35

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 24, 2020, 10:16:
Meanwhile, we have fucking morons holding rallys screaming about their "freedoms" while completely abrogating themselves of their responsibilities.

*sigh

May 25, 2020, 01:32
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 25, 2020, 01:32
May 25, 2020, 01:32

What we do have evidence for is a drastic decrease in automobile accident deaths and crime deaths.

Not true. At least not according to all available data in Minnesota.

May 24, 2020, 18:48
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 24, 2020, 18:48
May 24, 2020, 18:48

One of the problems with all of this since the start is the more effective the preventive measures are the less needed they appear to be to the less informed.

If the whole world pulled off a perfect social distancing maneuver right when this started many would be asking what the big deal even was (some still are).

May 24, 2020, 12:07
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 24, 2020, 12:07
May 24, 2020, 12:07

There will be a second wave. Not an if, matter of when. Spanish Flu had it's second wave in the Fall.

May 24, 2020, 11:15
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 24, 2020, 11:15
May 24, 2020, 11:15

Four concepts to assess your personal risk as the U.S. reopens

It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.

May 24, 2020, 10:16
Re: Saturday Metaverse May 24, 2020, 10:16
May 24, 2020, 10:16

Here's the problem:

Social distancing isn't working because a large majority of people aren't social distancing. It is a common problem here and I know it is also a common problem in Florida, Michigan, Washington, and Alabama as I have friends there who are reporting the same behavior I am witnessing here.

Hell, just last night on the local news, a video from a bar in Austin on 6th street showed people packing together at less than four feet of distance. At points you see a couple of groups shoulder to shoulder.

In addition, we are only testing people we suspect of being ill, as mentioned upthread. This is the most ass backwards approach possible outside of not testing at all. We will never get anywhere close to an accurate representation of the amount infected or how widespread the infection is.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

May 24, 2020, 08:50
Beamer

Re: Saturday Metaverse May 24, 2020, 08:50
May 24, 2020, 08:50
 Beamer

Korrd wrote on May 24, 2020, 05:39:
Orogogus wrote on May 24, 2020, 04:28:
Has anyone been pushing for shutdown until a vaccine is developed?
No. I haven't seen that here nor anywhere else. It's not a reasonable position; even with promising candidates, we're not likely to see a vaccine made available this year. People certainly couldn't survive that long without income.

No one is saying that, you're right. But I see the strawman often.

Frequently by people bemoaning the supposed increase in suicides, of which we have no evidence for. What we do have evidence for is a drastic decrease in automobile accident deaths and crime deaths. We can quantify those. I'd bet every dollar I have that they add up to significantly more than the increase in suicides (that, again, we have endless speculation of but no evidence of.)
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older