Out of the Blue

As I mentioned the other day, Frans has been busy renovating the search function for news and the forums here. If you are curious, here's a recap of what's changed to help make this more useful going forward. First off he fixed a recently introduced bug that made some searches fail outright. He also eliminated the use of a stoplist that prevented certain terms from affecting results, and removed a limitation that would not search for three-letter words. The result is that most searches of the news and forums actually return the meaningful results you would expect, which wasn't really the case before. He also did a great job of improving the presentation of news search results. The headlines are now blue like they are in the news, and the search terms are bold and yellow. The term you searched for is presented as a hyperlink and failed searches now also helpfully list your search terms for clarity. Finally following a suggestion and a coding suggestion from Kxmode, the URL of your results includes the data to save or share the results (for example). I know the fixes and improvements have proven very beneficial for me, and we hope this turns out to be helpful for some of you as well.

Obituary: Hall of Fame coach Jerry Sloan passes away at 78.

Researched Links
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Brunch Links

Stories

Science

Images

Media

View : : :
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
May 26, 2020, 09:11
Beamer

Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2020, 09:11
May 26, 2020, 09:11
 Beamer

Like many here, I hate anime, which may be ironic because I was obsessed with Voltron as a kid.

I know much has deep stories, but I can't get past so much of the logic, the squealing girls, the fan service, etc.

I even struggle with a lot of Japanese video games because their approach to storytelling is very different than Western authors. As great as some is, there's definitely a trend of nonsensical things happening. I think taking out a tank with bees in that zombie mall photography game was a highlight, haha.

May 26, 2020, 06:45
Re: Out of the Blue May 26, 2020, 06:45
May 26, 2020, 06:45

late to the party, i know.

i watched a bit of anime back in the day. trigun, bebop, ninja scroll (which is SO great as a movie), berserk, dbz when it came to german tv, sadamitsu the destroyer and a few more i forget.

but why did no one mention neon genesis evangelion? it has a few goofy moments, but all in all a life-contemplating boy with the oldest soul, big robots against bigger monsters and some very deep stuff.

May 24, 2020, 19:08
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2020, 19:08
May 24, 2020, 19:08
 Kxmode

wtf_man wrote on May 24, 2020, 18:08:
The only anime I ever liked (and is still my favorite cartoon series to this day since I'm a gear head) is Speed Racer.

But if we put it into context... It was imported to America, the script and stories were changed, and obviously American voices dubbed in.

Is that still Anime?

Visual style, I guess so... sort of, The rest... not really.

Most cartoons from the 80s like Ghostbusters, Wildcats, Transformers, M.A.S.K., and G.I. Joe were animated by Japanese animators. They could be considered domestic anime.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

May 24, 2020, 18:08
Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2020, 18:08
May 24, 2020, 18:08

The only anime I ever liked (and is still my favorite cartoon series to this day since I'm a gear head) is Speed Racer.

But if we put it into context... It was imported to America, the script and stories were changed, and obviously American voices dubbed in.

Is that still Anime?

Visual style, I guess so... sort of, The rest... not really.
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

May 24, 2020, 18:01
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2020, 18:01
May 24, 2020, 18:01
 Kxmode

The Half Elf wrote on May 24, 2020, 12:57:
1badmf wrote on May 23, 2020, 18:10:
Burrito of Peace wrote on May 23, 2020, 14:26:
I hate anime with very few exceptions. I find it boring and childish. Someone recommended "Cowboy Bebop" to me because I do love "Firefly". I hated it. It has the same problem that every anime has and that is there is a decided lack of subtlety and inherent nuance. Everything has to be a caricature taken to the most extreme level.

My notable exceptions are Ghost in the Shell (which is not surprising given my love of cyberpunk), Porco Rosso, and Grave of the Fireflies.

then you completely misunderstood bebop. it has layers and layers and layers of nuance and subtext; seldom is anyone what they say they are, most certainly not the main cast, and what they say and what they actually want are almost always completely different things. i suspect you went in with your anti-anime bias and it acted as a stone wall to any notion of sophistication that tried to present itself.

there's a scene in i think episode 12 where faye is staying with a dude named gren (who's no threat to her), but all she does is whine about how hot it is while sipping vodka and how it feels like she's in a confessional booth, which on the surface makes no sense because gren isn't religious in any way and there's no iconography around. until you consider that she's just abandoned the bebop crew and now her guilt is eating her alive, but she doesn't want to admit that to gren and likely not even to herself. layers and layers my friend, and the show is full of it, though it doesn't really take off until after faye joins the crew.

i also don't get where you saw it as a caricature - it's one of the more realistic anime i've watched in terms of character design and action. ed the hacker maybe toes the line, but she does it in such a charismatic and lovable way i don't see how anyone can say she's not a boatload of fun. no one else of import is a caricature, either in design or personality. they have depth and needs and want to live, if you just keep an eye out for it.

i haven't seen firely, but i've seen serenity, and if it's representative of the show, i'd say bebop is by far the superior work.

Don't go all Art snob about it. "You're not getting the essence of the piece". Just watching the Cowboy Bebop trailer for the Blu Ray collection, looks interesting but as the guy says in the trailer there are 3 things I hate. Kids, Animals and Women with Attitudes, which showcases all the over the top crap that puts me off on most anime.

Let him/people enjoy what they want to enjoy, but don't go all art snob about it.

Different Folks, Different Strokes.

You hate kids and animals?
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

May 24, 2020, 15:16
Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2020, 15:16
May 24, 2020, 15:16

Nice

May 24, 2020, 12:57
Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2020, 12:57
May 24, 2020, 12:57

I hate anime with very few exceptions. I find it boring and childish. Someone recommended "Cowboy Bebop" to me because I do love "Firefly". I hated it. It has the same problem that every anime has and that is there is a decided lack of subtlety and inherent nuance. Everything has to be a caricature taken to the most extreme level.

My notable exceptions are Ghost in the Shell (which is not surprising given my love of cyberpunk), Porco Rosso, and Grave of the Fireflies.

then you completely misunderstood bebop. it has layers and layers and layers of nuance and subtext; seldom is anyone what they say they are, most certainly not the main cast, and what they say and what they actually want are almost always completely different things. i suspect you went in with your anti-anime bias and it acted as a stone wall to any notion of sophistication that tried to present itself.

there's a scene in i think episode 12 where faye is staying with a dude named gren (who's no threat to her), but all she does is whine about how hot it is while sipping vodka and how it feels like she's in a confessional booth, which on the surface makes no sense because gren isn't religious in any way and there's no iconography around. until you consider that she's just abandoned the bebop crew and now her guilt is eating her alive, but she doesn't want to admit that to gren and likely not even to herself. layers and layers my friend, and the show is full of it, though it doesn't really take off until after faye joins the crew.

i also don't get where you saw it as a caricature - it's one of the more realistic anime i've watched in terms of character design and action. ed the hacker maybe toes the line, but she does it in such a charismatic and lovable way i don't see how anyone can say she's not a boatload of fun. no one else of import is a caricature, either in design or personality. they have depth and needs and want to live, if you just keep an eye out for it.

i haven't seen firely, but i've seen serenity, and if it's representative of the show, i'd say bebop is by far the superior work.

Don't go all Art snob about it. "You're not getting the essence of the piece". Just watching the Cowboy Bebop trailer for the Blu Ray collection, looks interesting but as the guy says in the trailer there are 3 things I hate. Kids, Animals and Women with Attitudes, which showcases all the over the top crap that puts me off on most anime.

Let him/people enjoy what they want to enjoy, but don't go all art snob about it.

Different Folks, Different Strokes.
Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

May 24, 2020, 12:50
Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2020, 12:50
May 24, 2020, 12:50

Mr. Tact wrote on May 23, 2020, 14:41:
Hate is such a strong word, BoP. I've watched and enjoyed some Dragonball Z and some Samurai Jack but that's about. Always thought the Sailor Moon and similar stuff looked ridiculous. However, I wouldn't be shocked to find out if many considered those were "bad examples". Never really paid much attention to the genre in general. Always thought it was fairly *meh*...

I don't HATE it, as I admire some of the old 80's art style and drawing talen. but to me most anime is like walking into a movie an hour after it started. Another thing that annoys to me the point of hate is all the grunts, sighs, gasps (which caused me to quit play Final Fantasy 7 Remake). And also I really am not a fan of what Burrito mentioned the over the top characters. Pokemon and Dragonball Z in particular. Now I will say I did enjoy the Robotech series, and Ghost in the Shell (finally liked it after seeing the movie version), and Akira. I enjoyed My Friend (whatever the giant cat's name with the umbrella) until the moment where the Bus comes to life, and I feel like there was a LSD that was suppose to be taken to understand/enjoy the rest of the movie.
Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

May 24, 2020, 12:17
Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2020, 12:17
May 24, 2020, 12:17

Anime is like any other media format: Most of it is garbage, aimed at kids, or so formulaic that you can get sick of a show just by having already seen other similar animes, to a certain extent.

Also, get used to reading subtitles, it's a rarity for there to be a well done dub of any anime.

Even good animes run into the problem of runaway success, which leads them to spreading out the content and putting in filler, just like any other long running TV show, live action or otherwise.

Most anime comes from Japan or South Korea on top of that, so there are numerous culture differences as well.

Add it all up, it's a steep hill to climb for people who already dislike anime for whatever reason.

That said, all humans alive should watch Akira, for example. If you feel like you enjoyed that, you can tentatively branch out into some more serious/mature animes, or just remain free of the taint entirely.

I feel like everybody should watch a few fights from DBZ, Naruto, Vampire Hunter D(modern versions), Robotech/Macross, just to get an appreciation for the flow of the animation, but yes, any good anime will require you to suffer through some downtime and/or Japanese/Korean weirdness, comic relief characters, stereotypes, etc.

May 24, 2020, 11:17
WarPig

Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2020, 11:17
May 24, 2020, 11:17
 WarPig

I've never seen the appeal of anime either, although I can't say I've given it much of a chance. I did kind of like the little bit of "One Punch Man" I watched and "Attack on Titan" looked interesting.

I just can't get past the over-the-top english overdubbing.

I did watch and enjoy whole lot of "Speed Racer" when I was a kid though!

GO SEAHAWKS!

May 24, 2020, 07:09
Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2020, 07:09
May 24, 2020, 07:09

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 23, 2020, 18:40:

That's about as nuanced as a brick through a shop window.

It's great that you're a fan, glad you found something you love.

I gave it three episodes, found it as boring and irritating as most anime is, and bailed out.

Fair is fair 3 episodes is as much as I give any show as well, and not everything clicks for one... Bepop is absolutely hit and miss. Also it's nothing like Firefly but that's just an aside.

Despite what some may think, I only like very few Anime and Bepop ain't on that list. GITS SAC is, as well as Monster (which is a crime thriller, not a fantasy slayer ,p) The Secret World of Arrietty is on it, as well as a few other ones... like Trigun as well as Last Exile. But all that is oooooold stuff. I like nearly nothing of the post Fukushima anime actually... it really got more screamy and emotionally overburdened. Just normal serious mature stuff is nearly non-existent nowadays

May 24, 2020, 01:09
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2020, 01:09
May 24, 2020, 01:09
 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on May 23, 2020, 18:55:
"and removed a limitation that would not search for three-letter words."

Sweet! I'll finally be able to run those searches for "the" and "and" I've been waiting so long to do. Now if Frans would just remove the limitation for four-letter words...

You were able to search for four-let... oh. I see what you mean.

May 24, 2020, 01:07
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue May 24, 2020, 01:07
May 24, 2020, 01:07
 Kxmode

Have you seen Hayao Miyazaki's work? It is amazing. I also recommend The Secret World of Arrietty.

May 23, 2020, 18:55
Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2020, 18:55
May 23, 2020, 18:55

"and removed a limitation that would not search for three-letter words."

Sweet! I'll finally be able to run those searches for "the" and "and" I've been waiting so long to do. Now if Frans would just remove the limitation for four-letter words...
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

May 23, 2020, 18:53
Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2020, 18:53
May 23, 2020, 18:53

Rectal Prolapse wrote on May 23, 2020, 18:24:
There are some amazing anime that has (too many?) layers of subtext. "Millennium Actress" comes to mind. Or the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex series (the early 2000 version - I swear, almost any one episode of that show is better than entire seasons of Westworld).
I recommend Mononoke Hime for people looking for complexity and shades of gray. It's also a great adventure full of stunning imagery. It's weird watching that English trailer dub though, I've only ever seen the movie in the original Japanese.

Also, Laputa is fantastic, while perhaps hewing a bit closer to anime stereotypes. Although given its age, one could argue it invented some of them. In addition to being a rousing story, the score for Laputa is so awesome.

I also enjoyed Naruto, because of the amazing world building, crazy characters with unique powers, and fantastic score by Toshio Masuda, which combines traditional Japanese instruments with rock music.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

May 23, 2020, 18:40
Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2020, 18:40
May 23, 2020, 18:40

That's about as nuanced as a brick through a shop window.

It's great that you're a fan, glad you found something you love.

I gave it three episodes, found it as boring and irritating as most anime is, and bailed out.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

May 23, 2020, 18:30
Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2020, 18:30
May 23, 2020, 18:30

Rectal Prolapse wrote on May 23, 2020, 18:24:
Or the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex series (the early 2000 version - I swear, almost any one episode of that show is better than entire seasons of Westworld).

Agreed.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

May 23, 2020, 18:24
Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2020, 18:24
May 23, 2020, 18:24

There are some amazing anime that has (too many?) layers of subtext. "Millennium Actress" comes to mind. Or the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex series (the early 2000 version - I swear, almost any one episode of that show is better than entire seasons of Westworld).

May 23, 2020, 18:10
Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2020, 18:10
May 23, 2020, 18:10

May 23, 2020, 17:55
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue May 23, 2020, 17:55
May 23, 2020, 17:55
 Cutter

Agree with BoP. Anime - with the exception of GitS and Akira - is bad. Not different, but bad.
Morty: You sold a gun to a murderer so you could play video games?
Rick: Yeah, sure, I mean, if you spend all day shuffling words around, you can make anything sound bad, Morty.
26 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older