DayZ Free Weekend

A free weekend is underway for DayZ on Steam, offering the chance to survive the apocalypse in Bohemia Interactive's zombie-infested adventure. The game is on sale for 40% off if you want to continue on after that. This does not include the Livonia DLC, but that is on sale as well. Here's word on the game:
DayZ is a hardcore open-world survival game with only one rule: stay alive, no matter what. But with a myriad of threats lurking around every corner, that might be easier said than done...

Key Features:

• With no checkpoints or saves, when you die, you lose everything and have to start over.
  • Complex and authentic survival mechanics, including hunting, crafting, building, health preservation, and resource management.
  • Unpredictable and often emotional interactions with other players leading to a limitless spectrum of emergent gameplay.
  • A huge 230 km2 map with a variety of beautiful landscapes and landmarks based on real-life locations.
  • Up to 60 players striving to survive by any means necessary. Make friends, kill on sight, kidnap strangers and bend them to your will, or be betrayed for a can of beans. Anything and everything is possible.
  • An array of environmental threats that will test your capabilities. From erratic weather and dangerous wildlife to pitch-black nights and rage-induced infected.
View : : :
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: DayZ Free Weekend
May 23, 2020, 13:04
Re: DayZ Free Weekend May 23, 2020, 13:04
May 23, 2020, 13:04

Does DayZ still run on modified ArmA 2? I remember being surprised they didn’t switch to ArmA 3 when it went stand alone.

And didn’t Bohemia recently shut down the dev team responsible for it?

May 23, 2020, 11:29
Re: DayZ Free Weekend May 23, 2020, 11:29
May 23, 2020, 11:29

Indeed, it was (is?) an excellent survival game with a beautiful engine.. I hope either mods or Bohemia makes something solid out of it eventually. Though, if nothing else, we get a pretty damn good engine out of it for ARMA 4. ARMA 3 had some pretty awesome DayZ-esque mods too, thanks to the passionate modding community.

May 23, 2020, 06:17
Re: DayZ Free Weekend May 23, 2020, 06:17
May 23, 2020, 06:17

I thought DayZ as a concept was great. Learning to survive in a post-apocalyptic world where any population center--and any resources it contained--was a hive of undead, with firearms in short supply? It was thrilling early on. I enjoyed the fear in spotting another group of survivors maneuvering quietly along the treeline, worrying that they'd discover our camp, hoping they were just passing by. Actually exchanging fire with a rival group was, at the time, quite rare.

Unfortunately over time it became just another pvp shooter. I'm still looking for a survival game that recreates that sense of tension and fear, but I haven't found it yet.

May 23, 2020, 05:43
Re: DayZ Free Weekend May 23, 2020, 05:43
May 23, 2020, 05:43

Tried it again recently, and even though I have almost 100 hours played before, I died in 30 minutes due to sickness and hunger.
I quit playing before because the game takes too much attention to finding food and water and staying healthy, in a very unrealistic manner (even rain can make you dead-sick in a few seconds and you can go from a full belly to starvation in just a few hours).
And now they have made it much worse.
Uninstalled it very quickly again.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

May 22, 2020, 20:48
Re: DayZ Free Weekend May 22, 2020, 20:48
May 22, 2020, 20:48

I don't get the whole pvp thing, what a waste of time.
“The failure of normal empathy, is central to sociopathy, which is marked by an absence of guilt, intentional manipulation and controlling or even sadistically harming others for personal power or gratification.”

May 22, 2020, 18:44
Re: DayZ Free Weekend May 22, 2020, 18:44
May 22, 2020, 18:44

I don't really understand the appeal of these state of nature games but I suppose Hobbes would be proud.
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older