Into the Black

Last Link of the Day: There is no Garbage Day in Amsterdam.
View : : :
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Into the Black
May 23, 2020, 13:27
Re: Into the Black May 23, 2020, 13:27
May 23, 2020, 13:27

Great for high density living in cities. Not particularly practical for some place like where I live -- a large neighborhood of single family homes.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

May 22, 2020, 22:03
Cutter

Re: Into the Black May 22, 2020, 22:03
May 22, 2020, 22:03
 Cutter

It's funny he compares it with Toronto because there are some major differences in how it and Amsterdam are designed and laid out that make it work there but impossible in Toronto. Most of the residential streets in Toronto are very narrow and very long. So if you lived in the middle of a block that's a long ass haul to take your garbage to one of those things. Plus there really isn't room at either end of the blocks anyway. Plus a lot of the older blocks all have alleyways which is where garbage is picked up.

Toronto's a great example of a poorly designed city that was basically built on the fly and never accounted for future growth. In East York where I grew up they're all small post WW2 bungalows and the driveways in the houses are so small that they're pointless. So you have to park at the front of the house or on the street. Cool that Amsterdam can do that but it would be a huge amount of work and cost to do that here.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

May 22, 2020, 20:17
Re: Into the Black May 22, 2020, 20:17
May 22, 2020, 20:17

That's pretty cool, actually. That said, the trash chute on my floor is a major demigod, and I'm glad I don't have to take my offerings out to the street every couple of days.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
3 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older