Crucible Launches

Crucible is now available for North America on Steam, offering Amazon's free-to-play shooter for Windows. Users reported problems at first, but these seem to be cleared up now. Word is: "We’re continuing to work on opening up Crucible to other regions. We’ll continue to keep you updated." Though this is free, there are also three levels of Founder's Pack for sale to support the game: A Tracker Founder's Pack for USD$14.99, a Predator Founder's Pack for $24.99, and an Alpha Hunter Founder's Pack for $49.99. These each include a Pre-Season Battle Pass along with escalating selections of character skins, Credits, and battle stars. As explained here there are also some early adopter gifts for everyone who logs in and plays the game before the end of this month. This post welcomes new players while this one explains the pre-season and the battle pass. Here's a Launch Trailer and here are the details on the game:
Welcome to Crucible
Crucible is a team-based action shooter driven by the choices you make. Each match in Crucible is a fight for survival and control. Not only will you be going toe-to-toe with your fellow competitors, but you’ll have to adapt and overcome all the challenges the planet itself throws your way. You and your teammates will need to work together to take down alien creatures, capture objectives, and pursue your opponents in search of victory.

HUNT LEVEL ADAPT
Whether you prefer to bring an axe to a gunfight, think that the best way to solve problems is by lighting them on fire, or want to keep your options open with multiple weapons, there’s a hunter to suit your playstyle. Crucible's 10 hunters each come with their own unique set of abilities—how you use them is up to you.

• Begin every match on a level playing field. Each hunter has their full array of weapons and abilities at their disposal from the word “go.”
  • Before each match, you’ll select which upgrades to unlock as you level up. With these upgrades, you can define how your hunter fights. Bring along additional utility and tricks or go all-in on your damage output—it's up to you.
  • Essence is a strange substance with incredible properties, and it's the object of all the commotion on the planet Crucible. You can get it from opponents and creatures you kill, or by controlling objectives. As you collect Essence, you'll level up.

You'll get access to your pre-selected upgrades with each of your first five levels. After that, more levels mean more power and health.

• Use your abilities and your wits to master the environment and battle conditions around you. Learn the lay of the land and use it to your advantage. Capitalize on events, grab all the Essence you can, hunt down the opposition, and claim victory.

Fight in 3 Game Modes

Heart of the Hives

Hives are lethal drone-spitting terrors that spawn across the battlefield. Capturing the hearts they leave behind as they die is your key to victory. Each match is a four-on-four fight to be the first team to capture three hearts.

Alpha Hunters
There are no safety nets in Alpha Hunters: once you fall in combat, that's it. Eight teams of two fight to be the last team—or solo hunter—standing. If your teammate dies, you can form a temporary alliance with another hunter, but that temporary truce will be broken if both of you make it to the final three.

Harvester Command
Essence harvesters are scattered across Crucible's surface. Each one you control generates Essence points for your eight-player team. Each harvester your enemies hold will cancel out your own. You’ll need to control a majority of harvesters in order to rack up any Essence—the more, the better. You can also take out enemy hunters for points. The first team to 100 points wins!

View : : :
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Crucible Launches
May 21, 2020, 18:05
Re: Crucible Launches May 21, 2020, 18:05
May 21, 2020, 18:05

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 21, 2020, 14:31:
Reactor wrote on May 21, 2020, 11:42:
This sounds like a good alternative to Crucible...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7olAZyoO6cs

Hrm, some interesting mechanics in that game, but wow, I will NOT be playing any game with perma-death in a pvp setting. Talk about time lost...

I tried it during a free weekend, and on my third mission was insta killed by two max level player camping a rooftop overlooking the PVE objective. The other maps i didn't see anyone.

Good times.

There playerbase must be pretty low if they can't even put a few noobs against each other during a free weekend.

As for Crucible... it looks pretty dull. Maybe FPS games aren't for me anymore. Long live Quake World!

May 21, 2020, 14:31
Re: Crucible Launches May 21, 2020, 14:31
May 21, 2020, 14:31

Reactor wrote on May 21, 2020, 11:42:

Hrm, some interesting mechanics in that game, but wow, I will NOT be playing any game with perma-death in a pvp setting. Talk about time lost...

May 21, 2020, 12:08
Cutter

Re: Crucible Launches May 21, 2020, 12:08
May 21, 2020, 12:08
 Cutter

Xero wrote on May 21, 2020, 10:22:
If all the remakes and remasters hasn't shown you creativity is dying, I don't know what else can.

Personally, I'm not into these massive online shooters that everyone can jump into because Free 2 Play, but then the cool stuff is locked behind a pay wall or lengthy grind.

I'm old school in that I rather give you 40-50 bucks and get 100% of the product given to me (if the game is worth that much to begin with).

To me the games like Fortnite, Apex Legends, and anything battle royalish was a step in a direction away from what I'm into as a gamer. I know there are plenty who enjoy them (clearly), but I'm not part of that crowd. I hope good ole fashion storytelling doesn't die in gaming. That's what I grew up on and still prefer it today.

Not only 100% of the product but the tools for the community to create stuff and distribute it for free. Unreal Tournament and Threewave CTF are still my fave shooter/shooter mod ever. Yeah, all these games look virtually identical, play virtually identical and have the exact same business plans that are there to solely benefit the company and not the players.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

May 21, 2020, 11:42
Re: Crucible Launches May 21, 2020, 11:42
May 21, 2020, 11:42

May 21, 2020, 10:22
Re: Crucible Launches May 21, 2020, 10:22
May 21, 2020, 10:22

If all the remakes and remasters hasn't shown you creativity is dying, I don't know what else can.

Personally, I'm not into these massive online shooters that everyone can jump into because Free 2 Play, but then the cool stuff is locked behind a pay wall or lengthy grind.

I'm old school in that I rather give you 40-50 bucks and get 100% of the product given to me (if the game is worth that much to begin with).

To me the games like Fortnite, Apex Legends, and anything battle royalish was a step in a direction away from what I'm into as a gamer. I know there are plenty who enjoy them (clearly), but I'm not part of that crowd. I hope good ole fashion storytelling doesn't die in gaming. That's what I grew up on and still prefer it today.

May 21, 2020, 08:48
Re: Crucible Launches May 21, 2020, 08:48
May 21, 2020, 08:48

The Half Elf wrote on May 21, 2020, 06:20:
Sorry to go against the grain, but most of us are old school gamers and these games just aren't for us anymore. Back in the day we had Tomb Raider, Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, SimCity, Xwing, etc etc etc.

This is this generations version of Team Fortress 1 or 2/Rainbow Six/etc. Not for us, not for us "to get".
Wrong. I still like a lot of games if they are well made and something new. I even started to like platformers recently, after playing the Ori games.
I played Fortnite and Apex Legends, and liked them more or less (hated the building in Fortnite though). Loved PUBG, until I realized how bad it is from a technical standpoint.
But after the 12th clone, or hybrid of putting 2 successful games together, I am getting bored, sorry.

I know back when I was younger I often imagined how games will look like in the future, how advanced they are, how many different things you can do, how real they are, because many games hinted at that kind of future, espeicially when first playing games like Ultima Online, EverQuest, Operation Flashpoint, Tribes, etc. Nothing came true of that. Nobody is taking risks anymore. Not even the multibillion dollar corporations. And when they take a risk, then everyone told them beforehand that it would fail, and it does.
And when indies try something new, it either gets bought up by the big ones or their success makes them greedy and go the microtransactions route.

The mobile game sector shows perfectly whats wrong with gaming. They even use templates for new games. Essentially only changing the skin. And its been coming to the PC and console sector as well.
About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

May 21, 2020, 06:20
Re: Crucible Launches May 21, 2020, 06:20
May 21, 2020, 06:20

Sorry to go against the grain, but most of us are old school gamers and these games just aren't for us anymore. Back in the day we had Tomb Raider, Doom, Quake, Duke Nukem, SimCity, Xwing, etc etc etc.

This is this generations version of Team Fortress 1 or 2/Rainbow Six/etc. Not for us, not for us "to get".
Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

May 21, 2020, 04:33
Re: Crucible Launches May 21, 2020, 04:33
May 21, 2020, 04:33

Reactor wrote on May 20, 2020, 22:15:
All of these games look exactly the same to me. It's like someone said to a bunch of 17 year old artists, "Just go wild making a bunch of random and generic art assets - we'll shove them an equally generic looking shooter."
Youre not the only one. Creativity is dying, at least in the mainstream or where mainstream is the goal. No wonder when political correctness is dictating your every thought.
About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

May 21, 2020, 04:19
Kxmode

Re: Crucible Launches May 21, 2020, 04:19
May 21, 2020, 04:19
 Kxmode

First rule for any fledgling video game publisher: understand gamer tribalism. If they don't, they're doomed.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

May 21, 2020, 03:59
Re: Crucible Launches May 21, 2020, 03:59
May 21, 2020, 03:59

jdreyer wrote on May 21, 2020, 01:28:
Another Lawbreakers?

No, it's even worse..

Another Paragon

May 21, 2020, 01:28
Re: Crucible Launches May 21, 2020, 01:28
May 21, 2020, 01:28

Another Lawbreakers?
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

May 20, 2020, 22:15
Re: Crucible Launches May 20, 2020, 22:15
May 20, 2020, 22:15

All of these games look exactly the same to me. It's like someone said to a bunch of 17 year old artists, "Just go wild making a bunch of random and generic art assets - we'll shove them an equally generic looking shooter."

May 20, 2020, 21:09
Re: Crucible Launches May 20, 2020, 21:09
May 20, 2020, 21:09

I'll say it again: Meh.

May 20, 2020, 20:45
Re: Crucible Launches May 20, 2020, 20:45
May 20, 2020, 20:45

RaZ0r! wrote on May 20, 2020, 19:50:
I played the tutorial and one match. It feels very generic in the same way Apex did to me. It's a bit clunky. There is an odd thing where animations of monsters look like the are 30 fps or less. The game itself was OK? Kill mobs and capture points playing different classes in 3rd person. Capture 3 before the other team. I'm not sure this does anything better then any other game. Maybe if I play it more it will grow on me.
Apex turned out to be pretty popular. I'm not sure I see this gaining that kind of popularity.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

May 20, 2020, 19:58
Cutter

Re: Crucible Launches May 20, 2020, 19:58
May 20, 2020, 19:58
 Cutter

Support the game? How about the world's richest asshole support his employees instead?
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

May 20, 2020, 19:50
RaZ0r!

Re: Crucible Launches May 20, 2020, 19:50
May 20, 2020, 19:50
 RaZ0r!

I played the tutorial and one match. It feels very generic in the same way Apex did to me. It's a bit clunky. There is an odd thing where animations of monsters look like the are 30 fps or less. The game itself was OK? Kill mobs and capture points playing different classes in 3rd person. Capture 3 before the other team. I'm not sure this does anything better then any other game. Maybe if I play it more it will grow on me.
I pwnz j00!
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older