Epic Games Store Giveaways Total Over $2K

PCGamesN busted out a calculator to figure out the value of all the games given away for free on the Epic Games Store during their promotional freebies spree. This added up quickly, as we are surprised to see the retail value of all these giveaways comes to more than USD$2,000. Here's word:
We added up the full list of 108 free games that Epic’s had on offer since launch, using the regular sale price of the base versions of each game – the versions of the software that have been offered as the freebies, basically. Sure, some of these games have been available deeply discounted or free elsewhere, but we’re going with the non-sale price as a rough gauge of how valuable each title is.

All together, from Subnautica to Grand Theft Auto V this week, the total value of the free games the Epic Games Store has given away is $2,140.94 USD. That’s equivalent to £1,768.83, although the total value in pounds is probably a bit different due to regional pricing variations.
View : : :
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Epic Games Store Giveaways Total Over $2K
May 18, 2020, 18:59
Kxmode

Re: Epic Games Store Giveaways Total Over $2K May 18, 2020, 18:59
May 18, 2020, 18:59
 Kxmode

RedEye9 wrote on May 18, 2020, 13:18:
jamiedj99 wrote on May 18, 2020, 11:54:
I betcha its all claimed as tax right offs
On what grounds? Huh

Business expenses. Pretty sure they make an itemized deduction but group the totals for each game into a single line-item (e.g.

$15,000 - Amnesia: The Dark Descent
07,800 - For The King
06,500 - Wheels of Aurelia
45,000 - Just Cause 4 -
21,000 - Close to the Sun
17,500 - Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments
05,700 - Drawful 2
08,700 - Gone Home
13,750 - Hob
06,860 - Totally Reliable Delivery Service
16,435 - World War Z
05,493 - Torment x Punisher
04,383 - Figment
03,482 - The Stanley Parable
22,438 - Watch Dogs

...and so forth)

Perhaps, they're doing this on purpose for two reasons. 1. Build the Epic Game Stores brand, user base, and portfolio. 2. Legal tax write-offs. If #2 is the primary reason, Epic won't be able to keep doing this forever. At some point, taking year-over-year losses will catch the attention of the IRS.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

May 18, 2020, 15:43
Re: Epic Games Store Giveaways Total Over $2K May 18, 2020, 15:43
May 18, 2020, 15:43

Nullity wrote on May 18, 2020, 09:29:
jdreyer wrote on May 17, 2020, 16:57:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 17, 2020, 15:50:
Jerykk wrote on May 17, 2020, 15:38:
I wonder when Epic expects EGS to start making money. With all the giveaways, timed exclusives, $10 coupons and reduced cut, they've most definitely not made any profit since launch.

They aren't trying to make money right now, they are just gaining market share and making a name for themselves. Getting people used to using EGS instead of Steam/Gog/Whatever is the purpose. EGS is funded by the literal billions Epic is making off of Fortnite and to a much lesser extent, Unreal Engine licensing fees.

Epic is pulling an Amazon; they'll probably be 'losing' money through the EGS for years, but not care at all, as long as they get customers onto the platform and get some familiarity, and the Fortnite kids keep spending thousands on cosmetics. Plus, a certain percentage of EGS users are actually buying games on the platform now.
Yeah, for better or worse, the current sale has me sorely tempted. Dreyerdaughter loves the AC series, lives Greek mythology, and has yet to play Odyssey.
You could get it directly from Ubisoft, where it is also frequently on sale.
Yeah, but not for $10.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

May 18, 2020, 14:00
Re: Epic Games Store Giveaways Total Over $2K May 18, 2020, 14:00
May 18, 2020, 14:00

Teddy wrote on May 18, 2020, 03:01:
Not a very compelling argument. "If I want it on release day" is directly contrary to the use of the word "Forcing". No one is forcing you to buy it on release day. You're the one doing that.

" They've instead chosen a route of forcing me to a lackluster store front if I want certain (and I'm sure they'd prefer it be all) third-party AAA games on release day."

I clearly state "IF" I want it on release day. There's no arguing this, if I wanted to buy Borderlands on release day on PC I had to purchase it through EGS. I get that I don't HAVE to buy it on release day, but that's where the "if" comes in.

And my gripe with the storefront isn't in it's ability to find games within it. With all it's blunders, I literally do not feel safe purchasing from it. Not to mention other issues.

May 18, 2020, 13:18
Re: Epic Games Store Giveaways Total Over $2K May 18, 2020, 13:18
May 18, 2020, 13:18

jamiedj99 wrote on May 18, 2020, 11:54:
On what grounds? Huh
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test. It's a compassion test. It's a decency test. It's a social responsibility test.
Cover Your Eyes for even more protection.

May 18, 2020, 12:25
Re: Epic Games Store Giveaways Total Over $2K May 18, 2020, 12:25
May 18, 2020, 12:25

TorTorden wrote on May 18, 2020, 10:02:
Is this via the same math that is used by copyright lawyers who sue the singel mother for $250k for downloading an MP3?

PC Gamer lists 104 free games given away. That comes out to about $21 a game, which seems reasonable. If you disagree, it seems easy enough to calculate yourself.

May 18, 2020, 11:54
Re: Epic Games Store Giveaways Total Over $2K May 18, 2020, 11:54
May 18, 2020, 11:54

May 18, 2020, 10:24
Re: Epic Games Store Giveaways Total Over $2K May 18, 2020, 10:24
May 18, 2020, 10:24

TorTorden wrote on May 18, 2020, 10:02:
Is this via the same math that is used by copyright lawyers who sue the singel mother for $250k for downloading an MP3?
From the article it is the total of all the free games based on the "non-sale price".
Nothing more, nothing less.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test. It's a compassion test. It's a decency test. It's a social responsibility test.
Cover Your Eyes for even more protection.

May 18, 2020, 10:02
Re: Epic Games Store Giveaways Total Over $2K May 18, 2020, 10:02
May 18, 2020, 10:02

----------------------------
Yes, I abuse grammar by opening my mouth.

May 18, 2020, 09:29
Re: Epic Games Store Giveaways Total Over $2K May 18, 2020, 09:29
May 18, 2020, 09:29

jdreyer wrote on May 17, 2020, 16:57:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on May 17, 2020, 15:50:
Jerykk wrote on May 17, 2020, 15:38:
I wonder when Epic expects EGS to start making money. With all the giveaways, timed exclusives, $10 coupons and reduced cut, they've most definitely not made any profit since launch.

They aren't trying to make money right now, they are just gaining market share and making a name for themselves. Getting people used to using EGS instead of Steam/Gog/Whatever is the purpose. EGS is funded by the literal billions Epic is making off of Fortnite and to a much lesser extent, Unreal Engine licensing fees.

Epic is pulling an Amazon; they'll probably be 'losing' money through the EGS for years, but not care at all, as long as they get customers onto the platform and get some familiarity, and the Fortnite kids keep spending thousands on cosmetics. Plus, a certain percentage of EGS users are actually buying games on the platform now.
Yeah, for better or worse, the current sale has me sorely tempted. Dreyerdaughter loves the AC series, lives Greek mythology, and has yet to play Odyssey.
You could get it directly from Ubisoft, where it is also frequently on sale.

May 18, 2020, 05:04
Re: Epic Games Store Giveaways Total Over $2K May 18, 2020, 05:04
May 18, 2020, 05:04

Epic have my utmost respect for one reason that is afaik unique to them:

When they made it big they took the money they made and siphoned it back into gaming.

You may disagree with how they are doing it, but while every other big hitter is sucking as much money as they can from gaming Epic are essentially "stealing candy from kids" (fortnite) and giving it to game developers (and us).

Gog is easily my first choice for third-party games, but Epic is a strong second.

May 18, 2020, 03:01
Re: Epic Games Store Giveaways Total Over $2K May 18, 2020, 03:01
May 18, 2020, 03:01

Drayth wrote on May 17, 2020, 22:34:
Personally, I have no problem buying from Origin, GOG, etc.. In fact Steam is my second top choice to buy from.

Epic has the resources to compete toe-to-toe with Steam. They have brand recognition, and mountains of money to feed into strong development. They've instead chosen a route of forcing me to a lackluster store front if I want certain (and I'm sure they'd prefer it be all) third-party AAA games on release day.

Their sales and giveaways are great, but that too smells of money just being thrown around for short-term gains. A race to the bottom I choose not to favor in who I support with my purchases. If they improve things I may consider them more so in the future.

Not a very compelling argument. "If I want it on release day" is directly contrary to the use of the word "Forcing". No one is forcing you to buy it on release day. You're the one doing that.

If you and enough others wait for the release window to open on other stores and buy it there, companies will realize that the exclusivity isn't in their best interests and it will cease to be a thing.

As far as 'forcing you to use a lackluster store front', if you already know the game you're looking for, all you need do is type it in the search, click and hit buy. Then you can run it from your library or home page quite easily. The fact that you cite these things as problems is pretty telling. If they're AAA titles that you are intent on buying on release day, you already know what you're looking for and you know what store it's releasing on, then you should be able to use a search function. Of course, you don't need to, given that every major release has a banner ad on the home page on the first week of their release that you can click on just as easily as you would on steam or Origin, or GoG. Then the purchase button works just the same way.

You make it sound like you're manually scrolling through a series of disorganized titles to find what you want, when given your own explanation that's /clearly/ not the case. It's a lie. You have lied to try and make your argument against them.

Feel free not to buy from them all you want, but the nonsense you're spewing isn't helping your argument any at all.

May 18, 2020, 02:49
Re: Epic Games Store Giveaways Total Over $2K May 18, 2020, 02:49
May 18, 2020, 02:49

I recently got back into Dauntless, and was highly annoyed to see that their launcher does not separate the store and the games library at all. The store was down for an entire day thanks to the GTA 5 giveaway (thanks for the influx of cheaters to an already cheat-filled game btw), and the games were not accessible. Thankfully, launching it from the .exe worked, but I'm dumbfounded their library and storefront aren't separated. Such a low-budget POS store.

May 17, 2020, 23:57
Re: Epic Games Store Giveaways Total Over $2K May 17, 2020, 23:57
May 17, 2020, 23:57

My EGS account is 99% noise, to the point I hate even going into it. I keep 'snagging' shit titles, but it's to my detriment. I kinda wish I could unsnag titles so I only have the ones my son purchased and all the garbage games I have that should be FTP just go away.

May 17, 2020, 23:21
Re: Epic Games Store Giveaways Total Over $2K May 17, 2020, 23:21
May 17, 2020, 23:21

jdreyer wrote on May 17, 2020, 16:55:
I know a lot of people don't like Sweeney's tactics, but a Steam monopoly is better? What's the alternative?

That's not a great argument. One alternative is to do your gaming on consoles, for example. If there are tons of downsides to consoles, what incentive does EGS have to do any better if "anyone but Steam" is their bar to beat? It's kind of like my mother, who has generally supported the Communist Chinese government despite being Taiwanese herself, on the basis that "it's not good if the US is the only world superpower."

As it is, I don't see how Epic has eroded Steam's market dominance, or will ever do so given its catch-up roadmap. As a consumer, I don't see any reason to buy a non-exclusive game from the EGS. If Origin isn't considered a spoiler in Steam's monopoly, how is this any different? EA at least has a subscription service as a way to present value to customers for third party games.

What would a non-monopoly scenario look like? A situation where the EGS gets all the big games and Steam becomes a niche store for indie titles that Epic won't accept? Or one where Steam is for people who want to make use of streaming LAN play, casting to other devices in-home, VR, gifting, family account restrictions, mod support or controller remapping, while the EGS is for, what, people who like to argue on the Internet? Just what differentiates Steam and the EGS in a post-monopoly market? The consoles have a non-monopoly situation because the hardware locks you into future purchases, but the closest situation to that on PC is Oculus, which actually goes toe-to-toe with Steam on non-exclusives but causes noted EGS fan Slick to completely lose his shit. Independent of hardware, it seems to me that the major new competitor to Steam is Microsoft's Gamepass, which really does have people reconsidering games they would normally have bought off of Steam.

May 17, 2020, 22:56
Kxmode

Re: Epic Games Store Giveaways Total Over $2K May 17, 2020, 22:56
May 17, 2020, 22:56
 Kxmode

Drayth wrote on May 17, 2020, 22:34:
Teddy wrote on May 17, 2020, 21:20:
Oh it has nothing to do with what people like or what's better for gamers, or anything like that. This is just like politics these days. It's a my-side/your-side based argument where my-side are the only intelligent, morally responsible people and your-side are the embodiment of pure evil.

These people have gone past logic and are all about ideology now. They've identified with 'their-side' whichever that is, so thoroughly, their belief so entrenched that no amount of information or facts are going to sway them.

Personally, I have no problem buying from Origin, GOG, etc.. In fact Steam is my second top choice to buy from.

Epic has the resources to compete toe-to-toe with Steam. They have brand recognition, and mountains of money to feed into strong development. They've instead chosen a route of forcing me to a lackluster store front if I want certain (and I'm sure they'd prefer it be all) third-party AAA games on release day.

Their store is lackluster because Epic repurposed the Paragon launcher (based on the Chromium open-source browser), after shutting down the service in April 2018. They launched the store in December 2018. Based on experience, it is impossible to launch a brand-new eCommerce service in eight months without missing vital features and infrastructure. That's notwithstanding the necessary features all other services offer.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

May 17, 2020, 22:34
Re: Epic Games Store Giveaways Total Over $2K May 17, 2020, 22:34
May 17, 2020, 22:34

Teddy wrote on May 17, 2020, 21:20:
Oh it has nothing to do with what people like or what's better for gamers, or anything like that. This is just like politics these days. It's a my-side/your-side based argument where my-side are the only intelligent, morally responsible people and your-side are the embodiment of pure evil.

These people have gone past logic and are all about ideology now. They've identified with 'their-side' whichever that is, so thoroughly, their belief so entrenched that no amount of information or facts are going to sway them.

Their sales and giveaways are great, but that too smells of money just being thrown around for short-term gains. A race to the bottom I choose not to favor in who I support with my purchases. If they improve things I may consider them more so in the future.

May 17, 2020, 21:20
Re: Epic Games Store Giveaways Total Over $2K May 17, 2020, 21:20
May 17, 2020, 21:20

jdreyer wrote on May 17, 2020, 16:55:
I know a lot of people don't like Sweeney's tactics, but a Steam monopoly is better? What's the alternative?

May 17, 2020, 21:15
Re: Epic Games Store Giveaways Total Over $2K May 17, 2020, 21:15
May 17, 2020, 21:15

Beamer wrote on May 17, 2020, 20:49:
Probably safe to say that 99.99% of gamers enjoy free games, 0.01% go on rants about how much it sucks to get free games.

Very safe to say, I'd imagine. More to the point of this, if your only issue is with wanting to screw Epic over, then shouldn't you be getting the free games anyways, just in case it makes epic pay for them? Then don't play them all you want.

May 17, 2020, 20:49
Beamer

Re: Epic Games Store Giveaways Total Over $2K May 17, 2020, 20:49
May 17, 2020, 20:49
 Beamer

Mordhaus wrote on May 17, 2020, 17:36:
Cutter wrote on May 17, 2020, 15:03:
Xero wrote on May 17, 2020, 14:45:
That is actually not a whole lot if you think about it...

Based on millions if not tens of millions people getting that it is.

I'd like to see those stats. I don't think we are in the millions of people doing it. Maybe the poors, but there are a lot of the rest of us that would rather see Sweeney choke to death on a dick before doing anything that helps his business model.

Probably safe to say that 99.99% of gamers enjoy free games, 0.01% go on rants about how much it sucks to get free games.

May 17, 2020, 19:46
Kxmode

Re: Epic Games Store Giveaways Total Over $2K May 17, 2020, 19:46
May 17, 2020, 19:46
 Kxmode

1. What's the average per person?
2. How many people?
36 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older