11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Sunday Mobilization
May 18, 2020, 09:57
Re: Sunday Mobilization May 18, 2020, 09:57
May 18, 2020, 09:57

MattyC wrote on May 18, 2020, 03:59:
I don’t have a solution for that whole area, but I will say that just because I will take the Apple Store over Google’s for phones does not mean I really like either.

I'm on iPhone8... but it will be my last IOS device.

My solution? Since I don't care about a lot of apps... A linux phone. Either a Librem 5 or a Pinephone when they are ready for prime time. Probably the latter since it is way more reasonably priced.

That said.. you can buy older phones with linux pre-installed on them. (Have to scroll down to get to the phones)

And if you all think that I have a tin foil hat on... this guy makes me look tame.
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

May 18, 2020, 09:00
Re: Sunday Mobilization May 18, 2020, 09:00
May 18, 2020, 09:00

Regarding phones:

They all suck. I had an iPhone 3G and, after the total clusterfuck that was iTunes on any platform not a Mac, I vowed to never own one again. Well, not just iTunes. The obfuscated file system where filenames were changed to machine strings instead of human readable format, and the inability to drag and drop files on to it like an external USB device were dealbreakers for me. Mrs. Burrito has an iPhone whatever that is about a year old and it's still the same way.

On the Android side, Google is fucking themselves in the ass with their inability to keep a tight grasp on carriers and forcing them to push out security and OS updates. I have a Note 8 and recently received a lovely text message from AT&T that hinted that I would soon stop receiving updates and should consider coming in to look at a new phone. The fuck you say? It's goddamned Linux under the hood, I should receive updates until the architecture underlying it is about as relevant as 32 bit x86 architecture is today. On top of that, Google's lackadaisical approach to their store, and the security of the apps on that store more importantly, is awful.

The only way out seems to be to pick up an older phone and install something like Ubuntu Touch on it (even though I would rather endlessly punch myself in the dick with a plate mailed hand than use Ubuntu) to completely break free of either Apple's or Google's ecosystem. However, I am quick to recognize that isn't going to work for 99.9% of the phone using world because it would make the device an actual pocket computing device that can also do communications and not a digital leash masquerading as a lifestyle enhancer and fashion brand.

As GSM modems exist for Raspberry Pis, and as such can have phone numbers attached to them, receive calls, make calls, send text messages, and use cellular data, I am almost to the point of just building my own portable communications device and leaving phones as they exist behind.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

May 18, 2020, 03:59
Re: Sunday Mobilization May 18, 2020, 03:59
May 18, 2020, 03:59

jdreyer wrote on May 18, 2020, 02:36:
But how much longer, really? And also, your phone will slow down so you're forced to get a new one after three years anyway. It used to be the case the Apple was more privacy focused, but I heard that went out the window a couple of years ago. Couple that with their walled garden, and it doesn't seem worth the premium you pay.

I am still using an iPhone 6s Plus from 2015 so that is nonsense. It still has the newest iOS, it just recently updated. That pretty much destroys the Android average. My phones speed is fine, the complaint was that Apple slowed down their phones when the battery got old... aka what most electronic devices do on low battery in the modern age. Your Windows laptop, I don’t care who makes it, does this too unless you manually adjust your power settings to tell it otherwise.

As for privacy, they are the same which is better than Google and Microsoft by default. Google is in the user data game, that is how they make money. Apple is a hardware company, they make money selling you iPhones and MacBooks etc. Software is just a means to an end with them. Microsoft I used to think was neither of those, but while I am fine with Windows 10 once I lock all the new naughty extras down down, they are much closer to Google now. I guess that is because of Bing.

The walled garden does kind of suck. I would never want it on a computer and it is tedious on tablets. For a phone I am OK with it, but only because the Google play store is such a fetid cesspool by comparison. I don’t have a solution for that whole area, but I will say that just because I will take the Apple Store over Google’s for phones does not mean I really like either.

More on topic, the article’s author doesn’t seem familiar with OS X (or whatever they call it now) or Windows. It is command Q to quit On Mac and Apple’s search works as well as Windows, and greatly predates it. More importantly it still works offline or when Microsoft lets its domain registration lapse.

I'm like the man who single-handedly built the rocket and went to the moon. What was his name? Apollo Creed?

May 18, 2020, 02:36
Re: Sunday Mobilization May 18, 2020, 02:36
May 18, 2020, 02:36

RedEye9 wrote on May 17, 2020, 22:30:
jdreyer wrote on May 17, 2020, 22:26:
The Half Elf wrote on May 17, 2020, 20:35:
IE: What happens when a person changes from one electronic ecosystem to another... they have to learn new things. Going from Android to Apple is still a PITA a year later.
You went to Apple? What were you thinking?
I'm guessing he's thinking the following; Regular OS and Security updates for a longer period of time versus Android.
The new iPhone SE is going to get even more converts.
But how much longer, really? And also, your phone will slow down so you're forced to get a new one after three years anyway. It used to be the case the Apple was more privacy focused, but I heard that went out the window a couple of years ago. Couple that with their walled garden, and it doesn't seem worth the premium you pay.
“We’ve reached the point of this polarized pandemic where our current plan for salvation is convincing certain recalcitrant men that wearing masks is the testosteroney thing to do.“

May 17, 2020, 22:30
Re: Sunday Mobilization May 17, 2020, 22:30
May 17, 2020, 22:30

jdreyer wrote on May 17, 2020, 22:26:
IE: What happens when a person changes from one electronic ecosystem to another... they have to learn new things. Going from Android to Apple is still a PITA a year later.
I'm guessing he's thinking the following; Regular OS and Security updates for a longer period of time versus Android.
The new iPhone SE is going to get even more converts.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

May 17, 2020, 22:26
Re: Sunday Mobilization May 17, 2020, 22:26
May 17, 2020, 22:26

“We’ve reached the point of this polarized pandemic where our current plan for salvation is convincing certain recalcitrant men that wearing masks is the testosteroney thing to do.“

May 17, 2020, 20:35
Re: Sunday Mobilization May 17, 2020, 20:35
May 17, 2020, 20:35

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

May 17, 2020, 17:47
Re: Sunday Mobilization May 17, 2020, 17:47
May 17, 2020, 17:47

What happened? You could actually get work done and game like a pro.

May 17, 2020, 17:19
Re: Sunday Mobilization May 17, 2020, 17:19
May 17, 2020, 17:19

Let's see... For my daily driver (Non-gaming Rig)... I went from a 20 inch iMac in 2007 to a used "mid 2010 27" inch iMac in 2012. After OSX Mavericks (which was the last OSX version that I could deeply customize the desktop... so... Apple really pissed me off at that point which their walled garden shiz) went EOL in dec 2016, I slapped Linux on it and never looked back.

As of a month ago, I retired the 27" iMac (Put OSX High Sierra on it and donated it to a local family in need (new keyboard and mouse,too)), got a 32" curved 4k Monitor and a 10th gen Intel Nuc (6 core/12 thread, 32GB RAM, 1TB m.2 nvme ssd) vesa mounted on the back of the monitor... running Linux.

Honestly, I really don't need Windows or OSX for any commercial software... the open source equivalents are really good these days. Gimp (Photoshop), Darktable (Lightroom), DaVinci Resolve (Adobe Premiere), FreeOffice (Ribbon styled MS Office), etc. etc. And best of all... my OS and applications don't fsking spy on me!

This comment was edited on May 17, 2020, 17:53.
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

May 17, 2020, 17:08
Re: Sunday Mobilization May 17, 2020, 17:08
May 17, 2020, 17:08

I mostly agree with the guy that switched from MacOS to Windows.

I think the author just needs to do some more research about using Windows. Like comparing Finder to File Explorer? Just press the start button and type in your search works way better than Finder. Control-F4 closes apps? Maybe he meant CTRL-F4 closes a tab in web browsers and if he only has one tab open it closes the browser?

May 17, 2020, 15:20
Re: Sunday Mobilization May 17, 2020, 15:20
May 17, 2020, 15:20

What happened was he had to relearn everything, most of which he could do with google search.

EDIT
The title of the article should be “What is Google.”
How to read Mac-formatted drives in Windows for free
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/read-mac-drive-windows-free-3369574/

Mega Face Palm
This comment was edited on May 17, 2020, 15:38.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older