Out of the Blue

Well we finally raised the flag on the relocated Manstovia yesterday. I just made a couple of burgers, but I was happy to be able to check out the new grill. Unfortunately, I was not able to get the kind of sear I am used to from my charcoal days. This is understandable since I was only able to get this up to about 550℉, which is a far cry from the 650℉ the manufacturer says the grill can reach. So I need to do some research on whether there is something wrong about the gas regulator valve, and whether it can be repaired or replaced. The burgers actually came out okay, but there was definitely room for improvement. This will be that much more important when it comes to grilling steaks, so I definitely want to address it if I can.

Obituary: Gene Dynarski Dead: 'Seinfeld,' 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind' Actor Was 86. Thanks CNCNZ.com via Ant. Was in C&C: Red Alert. Mandelbaum! Mandelbaum!

Regulated Links
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Brunch Links

Stories

Science

Media

The Funnies

View : : :
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
May 4, 2020, 16:46
Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2020, 16:46
May 4, 2020, 16:46

Enahs wrote on May 4, 2020, 13:12:
That is a decent amount of BTUs for the small size. If you have an IR camera, give it a look at see how uniform the surface temperature is. Probably not very with poor airflow control from cheap grills. They are really fun (IR cameras, and can be gotten to work with a phone for reasonably cheap)!

I personally have never had a gas grill that I bought over the years get over 550 out of the box. The lava rocks have helped some as it retains heat.

MY MAN! Where you been!?

Mine gets that high, I cranked it and burned the inside to get all of the manufacturer paint and sealant out of it so now it is just metal after I scraped the shit out of it and brought it down to rough metal. I have a 3 line burner with a main line to my house gas line. No worries on tanks.

It is a Weber Genesis Silver 8133.

Google says "All Weber gas grills are designed to reach 500° - 550° F, with the burners set to high, and the lid closed, after about 10-15 minutes. There are a few key things to keep in mind if you are having trouble getting your grill up to the high temperature range."

But it falls just shy of 650.

I have a barrel smoker/grill as well as a cheap gas burning grill for when we have th larger gatherings to feed everyone. Next to those sits my 4 rack smoker.

It is a busy deck.

This comment was edited on May 4, 2020, 16:57.

May 4, 2020, 13:12
Enahs

Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2020, 13:12
May 4, 2020, 13:12
 Enahs

That is a decent amount of BTUs for the small size. If you have an IR camera, give it a look at see how uniform the surface temperature is. Probably not very with poor airflow control from cheap grills. They are really fun (IR cameras, and can be gotten to work with a phone for reasonably cheap)!

I personally have never had a gas grill that I bought over the years get over 550 out of the box. The lava rocks have helped some as it retains heat.

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields

May 4, 2020, 11:34
Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2020, 11:34
May 4, 2020, 11:34

Enahs wrote on May 4, 2020, 10:58:
Most gas grills are only rated for 550, so if yours truly is rated for 650, it probably requires fine tweaking of the gas to air ratio.

However, a grill getting that hot will require a lot of propane. You maybe pulling propane out of your tank so fast for such a large burner system that is is cooling the propane tank down, which reduces the ability for it to vaporize and reduces the total flow out, resulting in lower temperature.I have experienced it a lot with camping grills and cheap or not properly balances grills at friends places, even ones that do not get as hot as yours is supposed to get (just huge so requires a lot of burners). Next time give the side of the propane tank a feel, if it is overly cold, this might be your problem. You may can solve it by just when cooking having the propane tank in direct sunlight. But you also might need a bigger tank than those little 20lb tanks you get and exchange at the home store and gas stations. Upgrading to a 30 lber might be required. Luckily, those are readily refilled for cheaper anyway than the 20lb exchange.

We have a 20 lb tank, but we go to BJs where they refill them for you. I was puzzled at first why the sold what they called "premium" tanks until I realized they didn't do the exchange thing.

Anyway, this is a very small, super-chap grill that's rated at 36000BTU for 4-burners. But in the Q&As about it they do say this specifically:"This grill is able to reach temperatures around 650 °F."

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

May 4, 2020, 10:58
Enahs

Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2020, 10:58
May 4, 2020, 10:58
 Enahs

Most gas grills are only rated for 550, so if yours truly is rated for 650, it probably requires fine tweaking of the gas to air ratio.

However, a grill getting that hot will require a lot of propane. You maybe pulling propane out of your tank so fast for such a large burner system that is is cooling the propane tank down, which reduces the ability for it to vaporize and reduces the total flow out, resulting in lower temperature.I have experienced it a lot with camping grills and cheap or not properly balances grills at friends places, even ones that do not get as hot as yours is supposed to get (just huge so requires a lot of burners). Next time give the side of the propane tank a feel, if it is overly cold, this might be your problem. You may can solve it by just when cooking having the propane tank in direct sunlight. But you also might need a bigger tank than those little 20lb tanks you get and exchange at the home store and gas stations. Upgrading to a 30 lber might be required. Luckily, those are readily refilled for cheaper anyway than the 20lb exchange.
- W. C. Fields

May 4, 2020, 10:02
Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2020, 10:02
May 4, 2020, 10:02

Enahs wrote on May 4, 2020, 08:48:
Blue, unfortunately gas grills take way to long to truly get to full temperature. Not worth the waste of gas for most things, especially when cooking for just 1 or 2. It is important to have the thick grill grates that have a lot of mass and will retain heat, really improving the crust. Like we discussed 15 years ago on here for your charcoal grill! Haha!

You can also add lava rocks to the gas grills, which helps hold heat in and makes it a little more like charcoal, but not exactly.

The major difference is actually burning propane produces more water vapor than charcoal, which reduces the ability for flavors from flaring and smoke from penetrating. Making sure the outside of the beef is super dry is key to allowing that flavor to get in. For steaks, "dry brining" is key, putting salt on all sides and leaving it on a cooling rack for at least 30 minutes at room temperature, but ideally 4 hours to overnight in the fridge to really pull out some of the water in the meat to help offset the water produced in the combustion of propane. And then drying with paper towel right before to remove water.

Hamburgers, really just drying it with a paper towel right before throwing it on is about the best you can do. Unless your burgers are super lean, but why?

I have always had both grills, and both are great. But when just cooking for 1 or 2, it is damn hard not to appreciate the ease and convenience of gas, especially once you make those few adjustments. Good luck and enjoy!

Haha, I just searched the forum for our years-ago propane conversation to bring it up again, and this post from you I hadn't seen yet popped up at the top of my search. Pretty funny!

I appreciate the meat prep tips, but I also do think there's something amiss on the grill... Twice now I've run it at full blast for a good long time but it seems to stall at 550, about 100 degrees less than what the manufacturer promised. I saw a tip somewhere to disconnect the hose and turn the knobs to open for a minute to clear up some gas delivery issues. I guess it's to address if there's air in the lines? Seems weird, but easy enough to try.

You are extremely right about the convenience... I miss the way the food turns out from charcoal, but the ease of the gas grill is off-the-charts by comparison. From startup all the way through shutdown. I used to have to let the charcoal grill sit for hours to cool off when I was done, but I was able to cover the gas grill by the time we were done eating. Used be be a risk of forgetting to cover it and get it rained on, which is a thing of the past.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

May 4, 2020, 08:48
Enahs

Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2020, 08:48
May 4, 2020, 08:48
 Enahs

Blue, unfortunately gas grills take way to long to truly get to full temperature. Not worth the waste of gas for most things, especially when cooking for just 1 or 2. It is important to have the thick grill grates that have a lot of mass and will retain heat, really improving the crust. Like we discussed 15 years ago on here for your charcoal grill! Haha!

You can also add lava rocks to the gas grills, which helps hold heat in and makes it a little more like charcoal, but not exactly.

The major difference is actually burning propane produces more water vapor than charcoal, which reduces the ability for flavors from flaring and smoke from penetrating. Making sure the outside of the beef is super dry is key to allowing that flavor to get in. For steaks, "dry brining" is key, putting salt on all sides and leaving it on a cooling rack for at least 30 minutes at room temperature, but ideally 4 hours to overnight in the fridge to really pull out some of the water in the meat to help offset the water produced in the combustion of propane. And then drying with paper towel right before to remove water.

Hamburgers, really just drying it with a paper towel right before throwing it on is about the best you can do. Unless your burgers are super lean, but why?

I have always had both grills, and both are great. But when just cooking for 1 or 2, it is damn hard not to appreciate the ease and convenience of gas, especially once you make those few adjustments. Good luck and enjoy!

This comment was edited on May 4, 2020, 09:33.
- W. C. Fields

May 4, 2020, 08:37
PHJF

Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2020, 08:37
May 4, 2020, 08:37
 PHJF

Retired wrote on May 3, 2020, 20:13:
Grabbed a NES Switch Lite for giggles. Pretty cool to watch my 6-yo son play original NES games. They were so much harder and didn't explain a damn thing back then. There is no manual and he is figuring it out. Cool to watch it happen and be transported into the time when I first played the games. Worth every penny.

Well there are also only two buttons... if not A, then B.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

May 4, 2020, 08:09
Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2020, 08:09
May 4, 2020, 08:09

SunnyD wrote on May 4, 2020, 02:12:
Monsanto would like a word with you concerning a possible position within the firms' PR department. For my part, I too wish that assholes with degrees had used more discretion than they have shown to date as regards what 'can' be done. A little more heart wouldn't hurt, either. Where the hell has people's sense of self-preservation gone these days?!

~Finite~

Nothing wrong with exploring the limits in theoretical and applied science. Talking about showing heart, that's how countless life-saving applications have been discovered that saved billions of lives ( like penicilin ). How it's implemented later on for capitalist reasons, that's another matter entirely, one I do not condone in the case of your strawman "Monsanto" example and lots of other questionable uses too numerous to list here.

TL&DR: You wrongly put the blame on the scientists, when the blame is really entirely elsewhere. I can invent a hammer, doesn't mean I'm responsible for people using it to crack skulls open.

May 4, 2020, 02:12
Re: Out of the Blue May 4, 2020, 02:12
May 4, 2020, 02:12

Simon Says wrote on May 3, 2020, 18:48:
Cutter wrote on May 3, 2020, 14:47:
I wish those assholes would stop fucking around with that sort of thing. If you don't know exactly what the negative long term ramifications might be don't do it. "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

Plants in a controlled environment aka "a lab". Not like they wanted to seed that thing anywhere in the first place. It's simply legitimate preliminary exploratory research for possible useful and controlled applications, not terraforming.

Talk about a textbook example of a slippery slope logical fallacy .

Sometimes I think you hate on science because of ideological reasons, but never attribute to malice what you can attribute to something else so *shrugs*.

Monsanto would like a word with you concerning a possible position within the firms' PR department. For my part, I too wish that assholes with degrees had used more discretion than they have shown to date as regards what 'can' be done. A little more heart wouldn't hurt, either. Where the hell has people's sense of self-preservation gone these days?!

~Finite~

removed
May 3, 2020, 22:38
Cutter

removed May 3, 2020, 22:38
May 3, 2020, 22:38
 Cutter

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 4, 2020, 07:07.
"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

May 3, 2020, 21:38
Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2020, 21:38
May 3, 2020, 21:38

Lovecraft Country looks kinda interesting. I really like that Jordan Peele is involved, however so is JJ Lamebrams so that's a huge negative right there.

Thankfully it is based on an excellent book so that may hamstring Abrams from inserting too many "mystery's"

The trailer looked good and focus' on the first story in the book. The novel is broken up into smaller stories with a tied narrative in a nod to Lovecraft's short stories.

May 3, 2020, 20:13
Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2020, 20:13
May 3, 2020, 20:13

Grabbed a NES Switch Lite for giggles. Pretty cool to watch my 6-yo son play original NES games. They were so much harder and didn't explain a damn thing back then. There is no manual and he is figuring it out. Cool to watch it happen and be transported into the time when I first played the games. Worth every penny.

Re: Why Is the Universe Expanding So Fast?
May 3, 2020, 18:52
Re: Why Is the Universe Expanding So Fast? May 3, 2020, 18:52
May 3, 2020, 18:52

It is so crazy that as much as we know, sometimes it seems like we don't know very much. I'd really love for dark matter, dark energy, and the universe's expansion rate to all be figured out before I die... but unfortunately I just don't see it happening... It might take another Einstein.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

May 3, 2020, 18:48
Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2020, 18:48
May 3, 2020, 18:48

The researchers said that thanks to their finding even brighter plants could be developed in the future and that new features, such as changing brightness or color in response to people and surroundings could also be mixed in. But for that to happen there’s more work to be done.

I wish those assholes would stop fucking around with that sort of thing. If you don't know exactly what the negative long term ramifications might be don't do it. "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should."

Plants in a controlled environment aka "a lab". Not like they wanted to seed that thing anywhere in the first place. It's simply legitimate preliminary exploratory research for possible useful and controlled applications, not terraforming.

Talk about a textbook example of a slippery slope logical fallacy .

Sometimes I think you hate on science because of ideological reasons, but never attribute to malice what you can attribute to something else so *shrugs*.

May 3, 2020, 18:14
Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2020, 18:14
May 3, 2020, 18:14

That map explains why Brazil has invaded Angola three times.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

May 3, 2020, 16:27
Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2020, 16:27
May 3, 2020, 16:27

Burrito of Peace wrote on May 3, 2020, 14:36:
Blue, do you have a windscreen setup around your grill?

I had the same problem with my propane grill where it would top out at about 530 degrees. Built a windscreen (they have portable ones) around it and I can now reliably hit 680.

Interesting. No I don't have a windscreen. I don't think it very windy, but I wasn't really paying attention to that, so maybe that's it.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip

May 3, 2020, 14:47
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2020, 14:47
May 3, 2020, 14:47
 Cutter

That's 1105 lbs for Americans. That's crazy.

The researchers said that thanks to their finding even brighter plants could be developed in the future and that new features, such as changing brightness or color in response to people and surroundings could also be mixed in. But for that to happen there’s more work to be done.

That's a cool map. I imagine the world would be a very different place today if it were still Pangea. It sure would have made traveling a lot more convenient.

Lovecraft Country looks kinda interesting. I really like that Jordan Peele is involved, however so is JJ Lamebrams so that's a huge negative right there.

"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David

May 3, 2020, 14:36
Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2020, 14:36
May 3, 2020, 14:36

Blue, do you have a windscreen setup around your grill?

I had the same problem with my propane grill where it would top out at about 530 degrees. Built a windscreen (they have portable ones) around it and I can now reliably hit 680.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

May 3, 2020, 13:27
Re: Out of the Blue May 3, 2020, 13:27
May 3, 2020, 13:27

Just like the flu.
Excess U.S. deaths hit estimated 37,100 in pandemic’s early days, far more than previously known
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older