Subnautica: Below Zero Frostbite Update

This update on Steam has details on a new Frostbite update that's now live for Subnautica: Below Zero, Unknown Worlds' Early Access adventure game (thanks Rhialto). This is shown off in this video and there are complete details on a this dedicate page. This includes a new story and a new intro video. Here's an overview:
A new update is available for Subnautica: Below Zero Early Access. Start your brand new adventure on Planet 4546B with a revamped story and intro cinematic. Visit the Frostbite site to learn more!

• Experience the beginning of an all-new story and intro cinematic
  • Explore the extensively reworked Glacial Basin
  • Interact with the new cold mechanics and avoid hypothermia
  • Discover new Snowball interactions with the Snow Stalkers
  • Encounter escalating weather conditions
  • Uncover further improvements and polish to existing biomes
  • Enjoy crisper, and more clear in-game text

View : : :
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Frostbite Update
May 2, 2020, 08:59
Verno

Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Frostbite Update May 2, 2020, 08:59
May 2, 2020, 08:59
 Verno

bigspender wrote on May 1, 2020, 16:15:
Looks great, but they need to make this shit coop. They say it's too hard to do, but a mod team is doing it without the source code for the original Subnautica, so....

Co-op kills everything that makes Subnautica special. It's a game all about survival and isolation. There are so many survival co-op games out there already, Subnautica was a survival experience with a beginning and an end that you aren't meant to grind for 50 hours with another player.
Playing: Subnautica Below Zero, Mass Effect Legendary, Resident Evil The Village
Watching: The Banishing, Bad Banks, Ted Lasso

May 1, 2020, 19:39
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Frostbite Update May 1, 2020, 19:39
May 1, 2020, 19:39

Quinn wrote on May 1, 2020, 18:32:
Played the first one right before the release, while I wasn't aware I was playing EA. That was a pain, because Subnautica is all about exploring and a lot of shock and awe. Replayability is low because of that. This is a game that can only have one, perfect experience: the first.

I am holding my breath on this one. I think I have seen a maximum of one minute of gameplay and a lot of it was on the surface. If I have to name one bad thing about the original, it were the surface moments.

Depending on when you saw that 1 minute, it could be fairly safe to say that it no longer looks the same.

May 1, 2020, 18:32
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Frostbite Update May 1, 2020, 18:32
May 1, 2020, 18:32

Played the first one right before the release, while I wasn't aware I was playing EA. That was a pain, because Subnautica is all about exploring and a lot of shock and awe. Replayability is low because of that. This is a game that can only have one, perfect experience: the first.

I am holding my breath on this one. I think I have seen a maximum of one minute of gameplay and a lot of it was on the surface. If I have to name one bad thing about the original, it were the surface moments.

May 1, 2020, 17:13
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Frostbite Update May 1, 2020, 17:13
May 1, 2020, 17:13

bigspender wrote on May 1, 2020, 16:15:
Looks great, but they need to make this shit coop. They say it's too hard to do, but a mod team is doing it without the source code for the original Subnautica, so....

I think you're misconstruing the reasoning behind the lack of co-op.

A lot of people would love co-op in the original (and maybe even this one), but one of the biggest factors the Devs had stated why there wasn't any planned was because the atmosphere and story just didn't support it.

I really don't remember them saying it was too hard to actually implement, only that in doing so it would compromise the original's atmosphere.

May 1, 2020, 16:15
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Frostbite Update May 1, 2020, 16:15
May 1, 2020, 16:15

May 1, 2020, 15:26
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Frostbite Update May 1, 2020, 15:26
May 1, 2020, 15:26

I also loved the original game, but like many, I am anxiously waiting for the full release before taking the plunge.
"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

May 1, 2020, 15:07
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Frostbite Update May 1, 2020, 15:07
May 1, 2020, 15:07

I am definitely waiting for the finished version, and I will try my best to avoid any spoilers until then. Subnautica was one of the best gaming experiences I've had, especially going in knowing nothing about it. If I could completely forget about any one game to play it again for the first time, Subnautica would be it.

May 1, 2020, 14:41
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Frostbite Update May 1, 2020, 14:41
May 1, 2020, 14:41

Bought the EA version immediately upon finishing Subnautica, but I'm waiting to play until it's done Coffee

May 1, 2020, 13:50
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Frostbite Update May 1, 2020, 13:50
May 1, 2020, 13:50

They recently just started to implement a completely different story from when they first entered EA after the writer had parted way with the studio.

I'm pretty sure it won't impact the release window all that much, but they are still quite some ways off from leaving EA.

May 1, 2020, 13:38
mch
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Frostbite Update May 1, 2020, 13:38
May 1, 2020, 13:38
mch

I'm also curious what state of EA this is in. Seems like it's probably getting close to being released.

I can't wait to play it, but I've been holding off. I didn't play the original Subnautica until release, and from what I've heard, that was probably the right call.

May 1, 2020, 10:30
Re: Subnautica: Below Zero Frostbite Update May 1, 2020, 10:30
May 1, 2020, 10:30

I am surprised during this lockdown that I have not gotten around to playing this yet....

Anyone here actually played it yet? - How is it ?
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older