15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Morning Tech Bits
May 1, 2020, 18:48
Re: Morning Tech Bits May 1, 2020, 18:48
May 1, 2020, 18:48

wtf_man wrote on May 1, 2020, 12:28:
Verno wrote on May 1, 2020, 12:13:
I don't know about trading blows but they're usually within my margin of not giving a shit, I'm really happy with my 3900x and stopped checking benches lately outside of this release. But some people really care about every bit of performance with gaming and that's who Intel is trying to target, for better or for worse.

They're stuck for the next year or two and are just trying to make the best of their shitty situation. I think the community goodwill would be a bit better if they hadn't hammered us so much on price for the past 8 years. But hey their made their bed.

Right. The margin is negligible. I personally don't aim for a top end CPU... $200-$300 is my sweet spot for a gaming CPU. I won't pay $500+ for a few more percentage points in frame rates... especially since it's usually the GPU that will get replaced more often, and more than compensates for that.

Hell, I'm still on a Core-i5 3570k on my gaming rig, and since I game at 1080 still, I'm not feeling it holding back my GTX1070 all that much, which is the 2nd GPU in that rig (Went from a GTX680 originally).

The point is... I only need enough CPU to not limit my GPU by a drastic amount, when it comes to gaming. Intel has had very small increments of IPC from generation to generation... which is why my old CPU has lasted so long. I only upgrade for a Quantum leap of performance for my dollar... which IPC-wise is pretty much here for me.

Top end $500+ Gaming CPUs... Yeah, Intel's marketing will fool the less technical FPS gamer or the folks that don't do their homework. But, IMHO, most gamers are savvy enough to go to some discussion forums before they buy, and get some decent direction.

I upgraded much smarter but even I am stuck like you in the end. I was on an Phenom II before going to an I5-8400 back when you could get it for cheap (and what an amazing upgrade that was) but now I am looking at the market and I don't see any upgrade reason. New GPU, sure, maybe the next Nvidia GPU but CPU? Only when there is some CPU feature everyone uses but my CPU can't handle would I upgrade.

My next upgrade is either going to a be PS5 if it has steamlink functionality or or a new GPU... but not CPU.. unless it breaks.

May 1, 2020, 17:35
Re: Morning Tech Bits May 1, 2020, 17:35
May 1, 2020, 17:35

Looking forward to whatever is at the $300 HEDT price point. Guessing the Ryzen 4700X will be the way to go, but maybe a i7-10700.

May 1, 2020, 17:05
Re: Morning Tech Bits May 1, 2020, 17:05
May 1, 2020, 17:05

Yikes! Thanks for the info, RogueSix

May 1, 2020, 16:58
Re: Morning Tech Bits May 1, 2020, 16:58
May 1, 2020, 16:58

theglaze wrote on May 1, 2020, 12:29:
This Intel release is more about Z490 than the CPUs themselves. A stopgap on 14nm but Intel can now offer a more future proof platform with PCIe 4.0, 2.5 Gb NIC, and WiFi 6.

Neither the 10th gen Comet Lake CPUs nor the Z490 chipset officially support PCIe 4.0. It is only some of the mainboard makers who advertise their boards as "PCIe 4.0 hardware ready" under the assumption (or knowledge?) that the 11th gen 14nm successor CPU Rocket Lake is going to support it next year.

Intel is actually quite irritated by this and is trying to stop the board makers from advertising "PCIe 4.0 ready" support since PCIe 4.0 support for Rocket Lake has not been confirmed yet.
It is pretty risky for the board makers who are jumping the gun now. What if Rocket Lake ends up not having PCIe 4.0 support? Then their advertising is going to end up as a plain lie.
For now only one thing is certain: Z490 and Comet Lake are a PCIe 3.0 platform... and always in motion the future is... Wink

As for the 2.5Gb NICs, well, Intel has had a little hiccup with their i225 chip. There is already a new v2 chip in production but early Z490 mainboards will probably ship with the faulty chip installed. It is most likely not a big deal in home LANs but could be problematic in conjunction with the affected networking hardware. The only "fix" then is to throttle to 1Gb speeds.

May 1, 2020, 12:55
Verno

Re: Morning Tech Bits May 1, 2020, 12:55
May 1, 2020, 12:55
 Verno

Yeah, Intel makes their bones in laptops and data center. This is just bragging rights and marketing stuff. They also have a lot of long term contracts that make it difficult for AMD to dislodge them but that's not to say they won't get there at some point if they keep challenging them.

Intel makes a disgusting amount of money, has a lot of the industry's talent and isn't reliant on TSMC, they will eventually get over their 10nm fuckups.
Playing: Risk of Rain 2, Jedi Fallen Order, Last of Us II
Watching: Tenet, Peninsula, The Pale Door

May 1, 2020, 12:39
Re: Morning Tech Bits May 1, 2020, 12:39
May 1, 2020, 12:39

RedEye9 wrote on May 1, 2020, 12:32:
AMD products now account for over 50% of premium CPU sales
Eroding Intel's market share for ten quarters in a row
Nothing bad can come from this!!1!

Considering Intel is still a giant behemoth and AMD is still small potatoes in comparison? Nothing bad will come from this.

May 1, 2020, 12:32
Re: Morning Tech Bits May 1, 2020, 12:32
May 1, 2020, 12:32

AMD products now account for over 50% of premium CPU sales
Eroding Intel's market share for ten quarters in a row
Nothing bad can come from this!!1!
A mask is not a political statement. It's an IQ test.

May 1, 2020, 12:29
Re: Morning Tech Bits May 1, 2020, 12:29
May 1, 2020, 12:29

This Intel release is more about Z490 than the CPUs themselves. A stopgap on 14nm but Intel can now offer a more future proof platform with PCIe 4.0, 2.5 Gb NIC, and WiFi 6. Plus more cores and hyper-threading (compared to last gen) to try and match AMD.

May 1, 2020, 12:28
Re: Morning Tech Bits May 1, 2020, 12:28
May 1, 2020, 12:28

Verno wrote on May 1, 2020, 12:13:
I don't know about trading blows but they're usually within my margin of not giving a shit, I'm really happy with my 3900x and stopped checking benches lately outside of this release. But some people really care about every bit of performance with gaming and that's who Intel is trying to target, for better or for worse.

They're stuck for the next year or two and are just trying to make the best of their shitty situation. I think the community goodwill would be a bit better if they hadn't hammered us so much on price for the past 8 years. But hey their made their bed.

Right. The margin is negligible. I personally don't aim for a top end CPU... $200-$300 is my sweet spot for a gaming CPU. I won't pay $500+ for a few more percentage points in frame rates... especially since it's usually the GPU that will get replaced more often, and more than compensates for that.

Hell, I'm still on a Core-i5 3570k on my gaming rig, and since I game at 1080 still, I'm not feeling it holding back my GTX1070 all that much, which is the 2nd GPU in that rig (Went from a GTX680 originally).

The point is... I only need enough CPU to not limit my GPU by a drastic amount, when it comes to gaming. Intel has had very small increments of IPC from generation to generation... which is why my old CPU has lasted so long. I only upgrade for a Quantum leap of performance for my dollar... which IPC-wise is pretty much here for me.

Top end $500+ Gaming CPUs... Yeah, Intel's marketing will fool the less technical FPS gamer or the folks that don't do their homework. But, IMHO, most gamers are savvy enough to go to some discussion forums before they buy, and get some decent direction.
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

May 1, 2020, 12:13
Verno

Re: Morning Tech Bits May 1, 2020, 12:13
May 1, 2020, 12:13
 Verno

wtf_man wrote on May 1, 2020, 12:00:
But here's the thing... The current Ryzen's pretty much trade blows with Intel depending on the game (at roughly the same price point CPU). The Ryzen's coming in the next few months are sure to have a decent boost in IPC, which means not even 5.3GHz from this flagship Intel CPU will dominate.

As for overclocking... AMD never has left much room... but 14nm++++++ @ 5.3GHz... probably not much room there either.

May 1, 2020, 12:00
Re: Morning Tech Bits May 1, 2020, 12:00
May 1, 2020, 12:00

Verno wrote on May 1, 2020, 11:49:
I think AMD gives better value for the money and I do a lot of the above I mentioned which is why I own a 3900x but many people give zero fucks about such things and just want the best FPS in CoD, Fortnite or whatever the kids are playing these days. That's who Intel is shooting for there.

But here's the thing... The current Ryzen's pretty much trade blows with Intel depending on the game (at roughly the same price point CPU). The Ryzen's coming in the next few months are sure to have a decent boost in IPC, which means not even 5.3GHz from this flagship Intel CPU will dominate.

As for overclocking... AMD never has left much room... but 14nm++++++ @ 5.3GHz... probably not much room there either.

May 1, 2020, 11:49
Verno

Re: Morning Tech Bits May 1, 2020, 11:49
May 1, 2020, 11:49
 Verno

Some people only care about gaming performance though. Most people are not streaming, running a compiler, photoshop and a bunch of a VMs. Intel knows this. It's smart to emphasize your competitors weaknesses and AMD still trails in gaming performance. AMD did the same thing with their multi-core strategy. Intel knows it has to limp along for a few years until their new product lines land. I wouldn't under estimate Intel either, they went ahead of their skis for awhile but they'll be back to the party.

I think AMD gives better value for the money and I do a lot of the above I mentioned which is why I own a 3900x but many people give zero fucks about such things and just want the best FPS in CoD, Fortnite or whatever the kids are playing these days. That's who Intel is shooting for there.

May 1, 2020, 11:46
Re: Morning Tech Bits May 1, 2020, 11:46
May 1, 2020, 11:46

Intel is really struggling. All these idiots that have to have the fastest processor will regret it in the end. Heat destroys semiconductors and these new processors have plenty of that. The GPU is the bottleneck today, not the CPU.

May 1, 2020, 11:42
Re: Morning Tech Bits May 1, 2020, 11:42
May 1, 2020, 11:42

Intel Delivers World’s Fastest Gaming Processor.... at 14nm++++++++++++++++++!

5.3GHz... yeah that's the way to boost IPC.

And if the focus is HPC / Multi-core... it still can't beat the Ryzen 9 3900X at stock clocks and the AMD product is probably going to stay less expensive.

I'm no AMD fanboy... I've been running Intel since the beginning, and only skipped the Pentium 4 series in favor of AMD Athlon XPs. But Intel has really messed up the last couple of years and AMD has rightfully handed Intel's @ss to them with the latest Ryzen Series and the near future desktop release.

Intel Delivers World’s Fastest Gaming Processor.
May 1, 2020, 11:23
Cram

Intel Delivers World’s Fastest Gaming Processor. May 1, 2020, 11:23
May 1, 2020, 11:23
 Cram

But for how long? And at what cost? (power, thermals, new motherboard required, probably expensive cooling solutions absolutely required for any kind of Turbo or Velocity boost)

That said, still interested to see how the 10900k does with OC.

Edit: Also, a lot of the marketing material they're putting out is confusing or nonsense. Check out all those citations, and lack of citations, depending on points they're trying to sell.
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older