Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA

Epic Games announces that from now through May 21st they are requiring users to enable two-factor authentication to claim free games from their service. They say this is to encourage users to secure their accounts:
Beginning today and ending on May 21, we will periodically require two-factor authentication prior to claiming free games on the Epic Games Store. We are making this change in an effort to encourage our players to take steps to strengthen their Epic account security.

If you do not have two-factor authentication enabled on your account, you will see the following message when attempting to claim a free game:

“Two Factor Authentication Required

Claiming this free game requires you to have Two-Factor Authentication setup on your account. Two-Factor Authentication provides an additional level of security to your Epic Games account and will help prevent unauthorized access.”

In order to enable two-factor authentication, please head over to your Epic Games Account settings. Two-factor authentication can be used to help protect your account from unauthorized access by requiring you to enter a security code when you sign in. You can read a full how-to guide on enabling two-factor authentication here.

We understand that this is a minor inconvenience for some, but we want to provide the best possible solutions to protect your Epic account.

View : : :
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA
Apr 29, 2020, 15:42
Re: Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA Apr 29, 2020, 15:42
Apr 29, 2020, 15:42

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 29, 2020, 08:43:
Is Authy really any more secure? My trust of any mobile app is pretty damn low. If you are interested in something like that wouldn't you be better off going with something like Yubikey.

Edit: Derp. Verno already mentioned Yubikey. Hey Verno, do you use Yubikey? I've been telling myself for a while now I should get one but haven't gotten around to it.

I use a combination of self-hosted Bitwarden and a Yubikey, yeah. It is slightly less convenient than other types of 2FA but more secure which is a fair trade off in my opinion. I know with certainty that any time there is a database compromise it's on the other side of things.

I think people should have some sort of 2FA that is not SMS based and I'm pretty indifferent to what that is Most people will be fine with just about anything unless the NSA itself is trying to get at your info. Do whatever balances your security and convenience concerns, even just a 2FA app by itself is totally fine for 99.9% of use cases. If you need any help feel free to toss me a PM but I'm sure you will be fine.

Apr 29, 2020, 14:44
Re: Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA Apr 29, 2020, 14:44
Apr 29, 2020, 14:44

Hey Verno, do you use Yubikey? I've been telling myself for a while now I should get one but haven't gotten around to it.

I am not Verno but I use Yubikeys quite frequently. For example, none of my systems will bring up a login window if the correct Yubikey is not plugged in to the correct USB port. Likewise, if you try to force it in to a terminal session, it won't bring up a login prompt.
"Just take a look around you, what do you see? Pain, suffering, and misery." -Black Sabbath, Killing Yourself to Live.

“Man was born free, and he is everywhere in chains” -Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Apr 29, 2020, 10:32
Re: Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA Apr 29, 2020, 10:32
Apr 29, 2020, 10:32

Is Authy really any more secure? My trust of any mobile app is pretty damn low. If you are interested in something like that wouldn't you be better off going with something like Yubikey.

Edit: Derp. Verno already mentioned Yubikey. Hey Verno, do you use Yubikey? I've been telling myself for a while now I should get one but haven't gotten around to it.

I'm skeptical of Authy because they offer several convenience features meant to make it more forgiving to use compared to a barebones app like Google's. Things like backing up to a cloud and the ability to duplicate your codes to multiple devices, which use passwords or your phone number for verification to access or recover. Basically a lot of things that erode the security and add new ways to be compromised...

Yeah, when using Google Auth it sucks if you lose your phone and have to restore access for each account with backup codes (god help you if you didn't keep track of those), but it SHOULD be a pain in the ass when that happens, that's the whole point, that's why it's secure.

Apr 29, 2020, 09:49
Re: Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA Apr 29, 2020, 09:49
Apr 29, 2020, 09:49

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 28, 2020, 22:08:
Hrm, pass. I am really not a fan of every fucking service under the sun wanting to tie in your phone and/or email or whatever for everything.

Why would anyone care about 'unauthorized' access to a game you're giving away for free? Oh right this experiment is hemorrhaging money and Epic wants to generate some more revenue from selling additional customer information.
2 factor auth has nothing to do with privacy and it's not a trojan horse to your data. It's 100% for security as it's the only reasonable way to secure accounts.

Apr 29, 2020, 09:26
Re: Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA Apr 29, 2020, 09:26
Apr 29, 2020, 09:26

You guys realize that there's very little value in phone numbers these days, right?
Business phones can still have value, but Epic knows nothing about who their consumers are that makes them at all valuable.

Phone numbers sell for fractions of a cent because mass dialers let spammers just call every possible phone number. No need to pay for anything.

Apr 29, 2020, 08:43
Re: Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA Apr 29, 2020, 08:43
Apr 29, 2020, 08:43

This comment was edited on Apr 29, 2020, 09:10.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Apr 29, 2020, 08:32
Re: Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA Apr 29, 2020, 08:32
Apr 29, 2020, 08:32

From memory, linking my Epic account with Authy was painless and secure.

Epic used to email me every time someone tried to log in as me unsuccessfully without 2FA enabled, which is what finally convinced me to set it up. This seems like a pretty good incentive too.

Apr 29, 2020, 08:18
Re: Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA Apr 29, 2020, 08:18
Apr 29, 2020, 08:18

Muscular Beaver wrote on Apr 28, 2020, 22:57:
After giving away my phone number for 2FA on Twitter, Google and some other big, "trustworthy" corporations, I suddenly get spam calls on that number.
So, I already learned my lesson.

Don't use your phone for 2FA and if you're dealing with a company who only has support for that then put some pressure on them to change. SIM jacking is absolutely trivial because most phone support is outsourced and the policies/training/tools they are given are a joke.

Get a 2FA authentication app or better yet something like a Yubikey.

This is such BS, nothing to do with "security" and all about them making some extra moola from selling your phone number along with the rest of the info they glean from you. What's wrong with my all ready verified Google sign in?

What is wrong with their approach? They support authenticator apps, email auth and SMS auth. They give you a variety of options that are platform agnostic, seems fine to me.

Apr 29, 2020, 06:46
Re: Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA Apr 29, 2020, 06:46
Apr 29, 2020, 06:46

Zyrxil wrote on Apr 29, 2020, 03:45:
After giving away my phone number for 2FA on Twitter, Google and some other big, "trustworthy" corporations, I suddenly get spam calls on that number.

The lesson apparently not being to install a 2FA app like Authy or Google Authenticator like a sensible person...

How do you know when that was?
How do you know GA was available for those (hint: it wasnt)?
Why do you attack me then based on your laughable assumptions?
Let me guess who you attack on a daily basis for being stupid.
I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Apr 29, 2020, 06:26
Re: Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA Apr 29, 2020, 06:26
Apr 29, 2020, 06:26

Since when did stealing Epic accounts become a chronic problem requiring draconian brown shirt fall in line orders for the rest of us?

This is such BS, nothing to do with "security" and all about them making some extra moola from selling your phone number along with the rest of the info they glean from you. What's wrong with my all ready verified Google sign in?

Get a grip Epic.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! - HT

Apr 29, 2020, 03:45
Re: Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA Apr 29, 2020, 03:45
Apr 29, 2020, 03:45

The lesson apparently not being to install a 2FA app like Authy or Google Authenticator like a sensible person...

Apr 29, 2020, 02:25
Re: Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA Apr 29, 2020, 02:25
Apr 29, 2020, 02:25

jacobvandy wrote on Apr 28, 2020, 23:09:
If you have an Epic account, obviously they have your email address already... So just use that or an auth app of your choice to get a 6 digit code verification whenever a new device is detected at login. It should be on by default
It should be on by default, but it's not 2FA.

Two-factor authentication is method of confirming users' claimed identities by using a combination of two different factors: 1) something they know (password), 2) something they have (phone), or 3) something they are (finger print).

You can argue that you don't need the phone of the victime because it's possible to intercept her SMS. But there's an huge difference between: 1) downloading a list of hacked logins/password and trying them against Netflix, EGS, Steam, Paypal, etc. and 2) knowing the phone number of the victim and intercepting its SMS. (1) is fast and easy. (2) is far longer and complicated.

2FA with SMS is not true 2FA, but it's still a very good way to mitigate the attacks.

Apr 29, 2020, 01:40
Re: Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA Apr 29, 2020, 01:40
Apr 29, 2020, 01:40

JTW wrote on Apr 29, 2020, 01:30:
It has little to do with fake accounts getting free games, and everything to do with reducing costs involved in support for hijacked accounts and being a good target for account hijackers.

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave away a few really appealing games in the next few weeks as further encouragement.

If that were the case, why put an end date on the requirement? That's what the free game hypothesis addresses.

Apr 29, 2020, 01:30
JTW
Re: Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA Apr 29, 2020, 01:30
Apr 29, 2020, 01:30
JTW

It has little to do with fake accounts getting free games, and everything to do with reducing costs involved in support for hijacked accounts and being a good target for account hijackers.

I wouldn't be surprised if they gave away a few really appealing games in the next few weeks as further encouragement.

Apr 29, 2020, 00:37
Re: Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA Apr 29, 2020, 00:37
Apr 29, 2020, 00:37

Grokk wrote on Apr 29, 2020, 00:30:
If you have an Epic account, obviously they have your email address already... So just use that or an auth app of your choice to get a 6 digit code verification whenever a new device is detected at login. It should be on by default, IMO, especially with how big of a target Fortnite paints on you.

You shouldn't ever use SMS verification for anything, that is by far the worst option because all the attacker needs is your phone number to intercept that code. Meanwhile you have a false sense of security and never see it coming until it's too late.

Yeah. Just this. ^^
I just added 2fa through an existing auth service I had on my phone.

Never use SMS if another option is available.

My email is apparently set as the 2FA...not sure how that works out that way, but hey...whatever.

Apr 29, 2020, 00:30
Re: Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA Apr 29, 2020, 00:30
Apr 29, 2020, 00:30

If you have an Epic account, obviously they have your email address already... So just use that or an auth app of your choice to get a 6 digit code verification whenever a new device is detected at login. It should be on by default, IMO, especially with how big of a target Fortnite paints on you.

You shouldn't ever use SMS verification for anything, that is by far the worst option because all the attacker needs is your phone number to intercept that code. Meanwhile you have a false sense of security and never see it coming until it's too late.

Yeah. Just this. ^^
I just added 2fa through an existing auth service I had on my phone.

Never use SMS if another option is available.

Apr 28, 2020, 23:09
Re: Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA Apr 28, 2020, 23:09
Apr 28, 2020, 23:09

SMITE
Apr 28, 2020, 23:00
Ant

SMITE Apr 28, 2020, 23:00
Apr 28, 2020, 23:00
 Ant

It didn't force me to enable my 2FA for free SMITE bundle offer today in its https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/smite/epic-starter-bundle.

Apr 28, 2020, 22:57
Re: Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA Apr 28, 2020, 22:57
Apr 28, 2020, 22:57

I have given up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Apr 28, 2020, 22:08
Re: Epic Freebies Now Require 2FA Apr 28, 2020, 22:08
Apr 28, 2020, 22:08

Hrm, pass. I am really not a fan of every fucking service under the sun wanting to tie in your phone and/or email or whatever for everything.

Why would anyone care about 'unauthorized' access to a game you're giving away for free? Oh right this experiment is hemorrhaging money and Epic wants to generate some more revenue from selling additional customer information.
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older