16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Gears Tactics Reviews
Apr 28, 2020, 11:56
Re: Gears Tactics Reviews Apr 28, 2020, 11:56
Apr 28, 2020, 11:56

Beamer wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 11:37:
Verno wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 11:13:
These xcom type games can be so frustrating. What I hated about the last one was that even though an enemy was out in the open, I'd miss them most of the time, yet the same enemy would hit me with the first shot almost every time. I always felt like I had less luck than the AI in every scenario. Save restart, save restart, save restart...

If you mean XCOM2, the saves are seeded at mission start so you can't savescum. Statistically it often feels like you're missing a disproportionate number of high percentage shots but I could never detect any form AI "cheats" when I was screwing around in the game files for modding purposes. It is frustrating to miss a 83% shot then a 92% shot but statistically speaking it will happen.

I think too many people try to play these games perfectly where they never take a hit or any long term squad damage. It's more fun (IMO) to play them where there are consequences. Ironman XCOM2 is some heart pounding shit.

Anyways this looks like its reviewing decently but needed more campaign depth. That's OK to me though, XCOM2s campaign is sprawling and you don't always want that sort of time investment. Going to give it a whirl tonight, I'm taking a break from Chimera squad which has a really frustrating open if you go for Sacred Coil first. Seriously do not go for Sacred Coil first, I love hard games and holy shit it is a ball pounder on Hard.

I, uh... went Sacred Coil first. Is it that different than others? I've only done like 3 missions since that choice, so I'm barely in.

Edit - just read. Apparently the boss battle is impossible unless something gets glitched or you get insanely lucky (which may be the same thing.)

Looks like I'm starting over.

I'm playing on hard ironman and i beat sacred coil (my first investigation) last night. Boss battle took a few tries but nothing impossibly or having to 'glitch' your way through. Now i'm doing the crystalid operations, saving the psi's guys for last.

Apr 27, 2020, 21:43
Re: Gears Tactics Reviews Apr 27, 2020, 21:43
Apr 27, 2020, 21:43

This is included in Xbox games pass. Paid my $1 trial and did the preload for launch day. Sure beats $60...

Apr 27, 2020, 20:35
Beamer

Re: Gears Tactics Reviews Apr 27, 2020, 20:35
Apr 27, 2020, 20:35
 Beamer

Darks wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 18:59:
Beamer wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 11:11:
I look forward to this.

I put an hour into XCOM: Chimera yesterday. The core gameplay is good, which you'd expect for an XCOM game, but overall, it feels extremely budget. Sure, it's $10, so that is fitting, but still unshakeable. The way the plot is delivered feels extremely cheap (and the art style ugly.) Again, $10 right now. And having a plot at all kind of feels weird. Having characters feels weird. I like it less. I like the way reinforcements come in less. The maps haven't felt super tactical, though I'm early.

I'll play it, I'll enjoy it, but it's definitely an amuse bouche. It won't scratch the itch XCOM3 would. Or maybe even replaying XCOM or XCOM2. At the same time, the new turn ordering makes it tactically different enough that it's really interesting.

If your complaining about this game and how it only cost you 10 dollars, Cant wait to here what you have to say about Gear and its 60 dollar price tag.

Haven't played this game myself, kind of done with TB games. Little tired of the slow game play. I'm more of a real time trow it in my face kind of player.

I'm not following. Can you not mention low production values and acknowledge that it's ultimately a budget game?

Apr 27, 2020, 18:59
Darks

Re: Gears Tactics Reviews Apr 27, 2020, 18:59
Apr 27, 2020, 18:59
 Darks

Beamer wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 11:11:
I look forward to this.

I put an hour into XCOM: Chimera yesterday. The core gameplay is good, which you'd expect for an XCOM game, but overall, it feels extremely budget. Sure, it's $10, so that is fitting, but still unshakeable. The way the plot is delivered feels extremely cheap (and the art style ugly.) Again, $10 right now. And having a plot at all kind of feels weird. Having characters feels weird. I like it less. I like the way reinforcements come in less. The maps haven't felt super tactical, though I'm early.

I'll play it, I'll enjoy it, but it's definitely an amuse bouche. It won't scratch the itch XCOM3 would. Or maybe even replaying XCOM or XCOM2. At the same time, the new turn ordering makes it tactically different enough that it's really interesting.

If your complaining about this game and how it only cost you 10 dollars, Cant wait to here what you have to say about Gear and its 60 dollar price tag.

Haven't played this game myself, kind of done with TB games. Little tired of the slow game play. I'm more of a real time trow it in my face kind of player.
Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

Apr 27, 2020, 18:27
Re: Gears Tactics Reviews Apr 27, 2020, 18:27
Apr 27, 2020, 18:27

For those who played this and Mutants, which is better? I've liked Mutant...

Apr 27, 2020, 17:23
Re: Gears Tactics Reviews Apr 27, 2020, 17:23
Apr 27, 2020, 17:23

Yifes wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 12:24:
If you mean XCOM2, the saves are seeded at mission start so you can't savescum. Statistically it often feels like you're missing a disproportionate number of high percentage shots but I could never detect any form AI "cheats" when I was screwing around in the game files for modding purposes. It is frustrating to miss a 83% shot then a 92% shot but statistically speaking it will happen.

XCOM cheats in your favor on lower difficulty settings but otherwise the probabilities are exactly as they are listed. Plenty of people just don't understand how probability works

Also people don't understand that turn based is an abstraction. When you catch an enemy in the open, that doesn't mean it's standing perfectly still waiting for you to shoot it. It's easier to conceptualize the enemies as in the process of running, dodging, diving for cover, etc, and no, you should not just get a guaranteed 100% shot just because it's in the open.

They should change the to hit percentage to reflect that. You were moving last turn? Here is a bonus to dodge. You were standing still? Here is take that negative. Etc...

Apr 27, 2020, 14:26
Re: Gears Tactics Reviews Apr 27, 2020, 14:26
Apr 27, 2020, 14:26

Verno wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 12:50:
Yifes wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 12:42:
I did Sacred Coil second and went to the boss mission with a good team. It was by far the most difficult fight so far, nothing else even came close.

The only reason I was even able to complete it (did Sacred Coil first) was that I brought Patchwork. Even then I only had 1 agent up at mission end with 2 HP left. It was a crazy mission and very poorly balanced considering it would be a game over for many players who didn't get extremely lucky.

Doing it last was definitely the correct decision then, was nearly a breeze.. nearly... I could name another mission that was WAY worse, prevent the shuttle from taking off, but the pip ended up on the boss and if you didn't bring the snake lady with you and got lucky on the tongue attack you would be pretty damn lost in that mission....

Apr 27, 2020, 13:21
El Pit

Re: Gears Tactics Reviews Apr 27, 2020, 13:21
Apr 27, 2020, 13:21
 El Pit

Cutter wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 11:53:
From PCGamesN....

I get that reuse of assets and procedural generation is common in this genre, but Gears Tactics simply does not have enough variety in its environments, missions, or enemies to keep the campaign feeling fresh. The same mission types on the same maps crop up time and time again: wave defence on a pair of supply crates, rescuing captured Gears from Locust ‘torture pods’, scooping up loot while fleeing an advancing carpet of Nemacyst bombs. By the end of the campaign I was thoroughly exhausted at having to repeat the same experiences to advance the plot.

Too bad so sad. So definitely not worth the price - as I suspected - but worth a rent on XGP. I'll porbably reup my account for May to play that, Plaugetale Innocence and a few others that have landed on the platform in the last couple of months.

Interesting. I watched a review on youtube saying that after 6 hours they had not a single repeating map and praising the very different surroundings and art styles of the maps. Strange. But it seems limited when it comes to the diversity of missions.
"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

Apr 27, 2020, 12:50
Verno

Re: Gears Tactics Reviews Apr 27, 2020, 12:50
Apr 27, 2020, 12:50
 Verno

Yifes wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 12:42:
I did Sacred Coil second and went to the boss mission with a good team. It was by far the most difficult fight so far, nothing else even came close.

The only reason I was even able to complete it (did Sacred Coil first) was that I brought Patchwork. Even then I only had 1 agent up at mission end with 2 HP left. It was a crazy mission and very poorly balanced considering it would be a game over for many players who didn't get extremely lucky.
Playing: Ys VIII, Hades, Demons Souls
Watching: The Expanse, Tenet, Peninsula

Apr 27, 2020, 12:42
Re: Gears Tactics Reviews Apr 27, 2020, 12:42
Apr 27, 2020, 12:42

Beamer wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 11:37:
I, uh... went Sacred Coil first. Is it that different than others? I've only done like 3 missions since that choice, so I'm barely in.

Edit - just read. Apparently the boss battle is impossible unless something gets glitched or you get insanely lucky (which may be the same thing.)

Apr 27, 2020, 12:24
Re: Gears Tactics Reviews Apr 27, 2020, 12:24
Apr 27, 2020, 12:24

XCOM cheats in your favor on lower difficulty settings but otherwise the probabilities are exactly as they are listed. Plenty of people just don't understand how probability works

Also people don't understand that turn based is an abstraction. When you catch an enemy in the open, that doesn't mean it's standing perfectly still waiting for you to shoot it. It's easier to conceptualize the enemies as in the process of running, dodging, diving for cover, etc, and no, you should not just get a guaranteed 100% shot just because it's in the open.

Apr 27, 2020, 11:53
Cutter

Re: Gears Tactics Reviews Apr 27, 2020, 11:53
Apr 27, 2020, 11:53
 Cutter

From PCGamesN....

I get that reuse of assets and procedural generation is common in this genre, but Gears Tactics simply does not have enough variety in its environments, missions, or enemies to keep the campaign feeling fresh. The same mission types on the same maps crop up time and time again: wave defence on a pair of supply crates, rescuing captured Gears from Locust ‘torture pods’, scooping up loot while fleeing an advancing carpet of Nemacyst bombs. By the end of the campaign I was thoroughly exhausted at having to repeat the same experiences to advance the plot.

Too bad so sad. So definitely not worth the price - as I suspected - but worth a rent on XGP. I'll porbably reup my account for May to play that, Plaugetale Innocence and a few others that have landed on the platform in the last couple of months.
"Hot air hangs like a dead man, from a white oak tree. People sitting on porches, thinking how things used to be. It's a dark night...dark night."

Apr 27, 2020, 11:37
Beamer

Re: Gears Tactics Reviews Apr 27, 2020, 11:37
Apr 27, 2020, 11:37
 Beamer

These xcom type games can be so frustrating. What I hated about the last one was that even though an enemy was out in the open, I'd miss them most of the time, yet the same enemy would hit me with the first shot almost every time. I always felt like I had less luck than the AI in every scenario. Save restart, save restart, save restart...

I think too many people try to play these games perfectly where they never take a hit or any long term squad damage. It's more fun (IMO) to play them where there are consequences. Ironman XCOM2 is some heart pounding shit.

Anyways this looks like its reviewing decently but needed more campaign depth. That's OK to me though, XCOM2s campaign is sprawling and you don't always want that sort of time investment. Going to give it a whirl tonight, I'm taking a break from Chimera squad which has a really frustrating open if you go for Sacred Coil first. Seriously do not go for Sacred Coil first, I love hard games and holy shit it is a ball pounder on Hard.

Apr 27, 2020, 11:13
Verno

Re: Gears Tactics Reviews Apr 27, 2020, 11:13
Apr 27, 2020, 11:13
 Verno

Playing: Ys VIII, Hades, Demons Souls
Watching: The Expanse, Tenet, Peninsula

Apr 27, 2020, 11:11
Beamer

Re: Gears Tactics Reviews Apr 27, 2020, 11:11
Apr 27, 2020, 11:11
 Beamer

I look forward to this.

Apr 27, 2020, 10:52
Re: Gears Tactics Reviews Apr 27, 2020, 10:52
Apr 27, 2020, 10:52

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older