Out of the Blue

Today is a special occasion here in the BlueTower as MrsBlue and I commemorate our wedding anniversary. And of course when I say here in the BlueTower I mean literally, as we are not actually going anywhere to celebrate the event amid the lockdown. But I don't want to complain about that because we are on-board with efforts to keep everyone safe and healthy amid the pandemic. I guess we'll try to make ourselves a special meal and hope the chance to go out to a restaurant to make up for this comes sooner, rather than later.

Anniversary Links
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Link

Stories

Science

Media

Follow-up

The Funnies

View : : :
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Apr 28, 2020, 13:04
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 28, 2020, 13:04
Apr 28, 2020, 13:04

Happy Anniversary to you and Mrs. Blue!
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Re: • Vanquish the Virus? Australia and New Zealand Aim to Show the Way.
Apr 27, 2020, 21:50
Re: • Vanquish the Virus? Australia and New Zealand Aim to Show the Way. Apr 27, 2020, 21:50
Apr 27, 2020, 21:50

Cutter wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 21:06:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 20:14:
Just because the order is rescinded doesn't mean that people will suddenly start populating restaurants. Let us know how it goes. I think latest polls say 70% of Americans say it's too soon to lift stay at home. And I say that in a state with only about 600 cases.

I seriously doubt the validity of those polls. I think most people who fit into the category of not at risk - 80%+ - want this nonsense over already. This virus is most likely never going away and is mutating into different strains already. Herd immunity is the only avenue left open. We can't shut down anymore, we simply can't afford it financially or psychologically.

In Ontario today the government - as expected - just politicked for an hour on when we're reopening. Which is to say, they didn't say, just we'll see what happens over the next while. That lack of specifics is pissing people off.

Your ability to have a cogent and informed comment in #20, and an ignorant and uninformed comment here boggles the mind. Show me the poll where 80% of people think the quarantine is an overreaction. Polls from the past week:

Reuters Ipsos - 72 percent of Americans support quarantine measures remaining in effect until "doctors and public health officials say it is safe." That includes 55 percent of Republicans, 88 percent of Democrats and 70 percent of independents.

CHCF and Ipsos - 75% of Californians Support Shelter in Place ‘As Long as Needed’

University of Texas/Texas Tribune - more than three-quarters of voters support orders to stay home except for essential activities.

There's your national, blue state, and red state poll results, exactly the opposite of your 80% numbers.
“We’ve reached the point of this polarized pandemic where our current plan for salvation is convincing certain recalcitrant men that wearing masks is the testosteroney thing to do.“

Apr 27, 2020, 21:40
Beamer

Re: • Vanquish the Virus? Australia and New Zealand Aim to Show the Way. Apr 27, 2020, 21:40
Apr 27, 2020, 21:40
 Beamer

In this topic: Cutter finally realizes most people don't share the same values as him

Apr 27, 2020, 21:31
Re: • Vanquish the Virus? Australia and New Zealand Aim to Show the Way. Apr 27, 2020, 21:31
Apr 27, 2020, 21:31

Cutter wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 21:06:
I seriously doubt the validity of those polls. I think most people who fit into the category of not at risk - 80%+ - want this nonsense over already. This virus is most likely never going away and is mutating into different strains already. Herd immunity is the only avenue left open. We can't shut down anymore, we simply can't afford it financially or psychologically.

In Ontario today the government - as expected - just politicked for an hour on when we're reopening. Which is to say, they didn't say, just we'll see what happens over the next while. That lack of specifics is pissing people off.
Of course everyone wants things to go back to normal. Wanting to do something is not necessarily a good indication of proper action. Unless I missed it, it hasn't even been proved you get immunity after recovery. Now, I'll grant that logically seems likely based on other viruses, but we still don't know it. And as you accurately pointed out, there have already been 30 mutations identified. This is clearly a case of slow and steady wins the race...
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Apr 27, 2020, 21:06
Cutter

Re: • Vanquish the Virus? Australia and New Zealand Aim to Show the Way. Apr 27, 2020, 21:06
Apr 27, 2020, 21:06
 Cutter

Just because the order is rescinded doesn't mean that people will suddenly start populating restaurants. Let us know how it goes. I think latest polls say 70% of Americans say it's too soon to lift stay at home. And I say that in a state with only about 600 cases.

"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Apr 27, 2020, 20:33
Re: • Vanquish the Virus? Australia and New Zealand Aim to Show the Way. Apr 27, 2020, 20:33
Apr 27, 2020, 20:33

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 18:08:
fakespyder wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 17:56:
We have been fortunate in getting a handle of the situation so far. My concern is the rising level of complacency and the understandable urge to ease restrictions.

Plus, we'll be heading into winter soon, so that will complicate things.

But yes, luck and some early action by our Government (which the W.H.O. criticized at the time) has made a difference, at least for now.
Don't worry.
Texas will pick up the slack for those countries that are doing O.K., gotta keep the virus fed lest it die off.

Our governor will allow the state's stay-at-home order to end on Thursday and open businesses Friday. And I thought it was the Lieutenant Governers job to state that just the old folk were wanting to die for the Dow Jones, turns out we are an equal opportunity state after all.

Nearest cases (9) are in a city 65 miles away. I hope you're right about people not going back to normal but I fear the bubba's, ranchers, rednecks and typical texans will be shaking hands and breaking social distancing guidelines as soon as they can.
sigh
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

Apr 27, 2020, 20:14
Re: • Vanquish the Virus? Australia and New Zealand Aim to Show the Way. Apr 27, 2020, 20:14
Apr 27, 2020, 20:14

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 18:08:
We have been fortunate in getting a handle of the situation so far. My concern is the rising level of complacency and the understandable urge to ease restrictions.

But yes, luck and some early action by our Government (which the W.H.O. criticized at the time) has made a difference, at least for now.
Don't worry.
Texas will pick up the slack for those countries that are doing O.K., gotta keep the virus fed lest it die off.

Our governor will allow the state's stay-at-home order to end on Thursday and open businesses Friday. And I thought it was the Lieutenant Governers job to state that just the old folk were wanting to die for the Dow Jones, turns out we are an equal opportunity state after all.

“We’ve reached the point of this polarized pandemic where our current plan for salvation is convincing certain recalcitrant men that wearing masks is the testosteroney thing to do.“

Apr 27, 2020, 19:45
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2020, 19:45
Apr 27, 2020, 19:45
 Kxmode

Happy anniversary Mr. and Mrs. Blue.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Apr 27, 2020, 18:08
Re: • Vanquish the Virus? Australia and New Zealand Aim to Show the Way. Apr 27, 2020, 18:08
Apr 27, 2020, 18:08

Don't worry.

It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.

• Vanquish the Virus? Australia and New Zealand Aim to Show the Way.
Apr 27, 2020, 17:56
• Vanquish the Virus? Australia and New Zealand Aim to Show the Way. Apr 27, 2020, 17:56
Apr 27, 2020, 17:56

Apr 27, 2020, 17:00
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2020, 17:00
Apr 27, 2020, 17:00

Anyone seen the new EPIX War of the World's?
I gotta have something to watch so season 3 of Ozarks will last longer. Wink

It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.

Apr 27, 2020, 16:48
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2020, 16:48
Apr 27, 2020, 16:48
 Verno

jdreyer wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 16:20:
Off the coast of LA its become a parking lot for oil tankers.

Usually I fill the tank once a week: driving kids to school (no busing here), wife going to work, shopping a few times a week, etc.

Now we only use it once a week. I filled it over a month ago, and went out yesterday. Still more than 3/4 left.

The cheap gas effect definitely let the sails out of my EV purchase justification, though I still get a bit amused when I drive by gas stations. Definitely eerie driving at all these days given the low traffic volume. I recorded some freeway driving the other day and it was pretty boring footage because no other car passed me for a solid 10 minutes, just a ghost town on the roads except for trucks around here.
Playing: FF7R
Watching: The Last Dance

Apr 27, 2020, 16:38
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2020, 16:38
Apr 27, 2020, 16:38
 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 16:15:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 15:06:
Cutter wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 12:09:
Good Wired article that clearly demonstrates why going to Mars anytime soon is a pipe dream. And that's just the journey. Doesn't even account for all the actual problems we'd have to deal with on Mars itself. Focus on fixing this planet, thanks.

Fixing this planet is way harder than going to Mars

Fixing humans so they don't destroy the planet is harder than going to Mars.

Who knows? If there's one good thing that *may* come out of this fucking thing it's people have really had their eyes opened to just how unequal this world is and that things are a lot worse for most than most people imagined. Just watching Euronews and looking at the lines for foodbanks in Europe and it's something I didn't even really imagine was a thing there as they're much more socially-democratized than we are. I can see movements like Occupy ramping back up at some point soon. I see more people on the left demanding that the Dems start moving left and start making progressive policies if they want their support. That people are done with politicians like Status Quo Joe who talk a good game but never actually do anything to make the lives of the 95% better.

And while I'm not shocked to see the amount of it in the US I think a lot of Americans are. Just like they were shocked to find, no, they don't actually have the best medical system or this, that, or the other thing in the world. I think it's been a good kick in the complacency and shock to those who have always just assumed American exceptionalism was an actual thing.
That social democracy may not quite be the evil they've been led to believe it is - by those who exploit the masses the most.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Apr 27, 2020, 16:22
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2020, 16:22
Apr 27, 2020, 16:22

Vanquish the Virus? Australia and New Zealand Aim to Show the Way.

Whether they get to zero or not, what Australia and New Zealand have already accomplished is a remarkable cause for hope. Scott Morrison of Australia, a conservative Christian, and Jacinda Ardern, New Zealand’s darling of the left, are both succeeding with throwback democracy — in which partisanship recedes, experts lead, and quiet coordination matters more than firing up the base.

Lucky bastards.

Apr 27, 2020, 16:20
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2020, 16:20
Apr 27, 2020, 16:20

Off the coast of LA its become a parking lot for oil tankers.

Usually I fill the tank once a week: driving kids to school (no busing here), wife going to work, shopping a few times a week, etc.

Now we only use it once a week. I filled it over a month ago, and went out yesterday. Still more than 3/4 left.

Apr 27, 2020, 16:15
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2020, 16:15
Apr 27, 2020, 16:15

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 15:06:
Good Wired article that clearly demonstrates why going to Mars anytime soon is a pipe dream. And that's just the journey. Doesn't even account for all the actual problems we'd have to deal with on Mars itself. Focus on fixing this planet, thanks.

Fixing humans so they don't destroy the planet is harder than going to Mars.

Apr 27, 2020, 16:14
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2020, 16:14
Apr 27, 2020, 16:14

PhysicalEd wrote on Apr 27, 2020, 13:37:
Happy Anniversary!

Ditto

Does that make me a dittohead?

Apr 27, 2020, 16:13
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2020, 16:13
Apr 27, 2020, 16:13

Yeah, I've posted here before that Venus is probably a better option. You can build floating stations 30 miles above the surface, and the temps are around 20-30 deg C, perfect temp for humans even if the atmosphere isn't. Also, Venus has a Van Allen belt which protects against radiation. Venus is also closer. And Venus' gravity is basically the same as Earth, whereas Mars has much less gravity.

Apr 27, 2020, 15:06
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2020, 15:06
Apr 27, 2020, 15:06

Apr 27, 2020, 13:48
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 27, 2020, 13:48
Apr 27, 2020, 13:48

Happy Anniversary, you crazy kids!
32 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older