Star Citizen Roadmap Potholes

A Roadmap Roundup post for Star Citizen announces the delay of some features planned for Star Citizen/Squadron 42, Cloud Imperium Games' two-headed space game (thanks Wccftech). Some of these are now removed from the Star Citizen Roadmap as they explain: "As Alpha 4.2 is not yet visible on the roadmap, we will be removing these cards for the time being, but we expect to re-surface them for the 4th quarter in the near future." The comments on this reflect a growing unrest from their backers, as does this thread on Reddit which includes a graphic showing the dramatic scope of the removed features. Progress or lack thereof are not for lack of time, as this project was announced in 2012. Nor is it lack of money, as it famously has raised well over a quarter-billion dollars in crowdfunding. Indeed, the funding has contributed to the lengthy development cycle, having provoked feature creep, so maybe this sort of feature de-creep is what's needed to push the project towards completion?
View : : :
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Star Citizen Roadmap Potholes
Apr 25, 2020, 20:35
Re: Star Citizen Roadmap Potholes Apr 25, 2020, 20:35
Apr 25, 2020, 20:35

Chris Roberts has done it!

The only thing that could save Star Citizen.

Space Cows are coming!

Apr 22, 2020, 21:00
Re: Star Citizen Roadmap Potholes Apr 22, 2020, 21:00
Apr 22, 2020, 21:00

Verno wrote on Apr 22, 2020, 11:16:
I've been attempting to follow this mess on and off for quite some time and all I can see is a shitload of money burned with really questionable results so far.

It's been so long I can't even recall if I backed it or not. I think I did when it was just going to be another Wing Commander game which is all anyone ever wanted in the first place. I will consult Gmail later and see.

SQ42 sounds like WC on steroids, at least from the trailers. That's all I'm really looking forward to.
"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Apr 22, 2020, 20:59
Re: Star Citizen Roadmap Potholes Apr 22, 2020, 20:59
Apr 22, 2020, 20:59

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 22, 2020, 08:04:
Kosumo wrote on Apr 21, 2020, 23:46:
One word - Divorce
If you are referring to Chris and Sandi that could be interesting... divorce proceedings are commonly known to shine a light on areas otherwise completely hidden from public knowledge...
Would he be forced to liquidate the company and give her half?

"It was as if millions of Star Citizen supporters suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced."
"Even after you've had the COVID-19 vaccine, you still need to wash hands, watch distance and wear a mask because you can still transmit the virus even though you're not going to get sick." - NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins

Apr 22, 2020, 11:16
Verno

Re: Star Citizen Roadmap Potholes Apr 22, 2020, 11:16
Apr 22, 2020, 11:16
 Verno

I've been attempting to follow this mess on and off for quite some time and all I can see is a shitload of money burned with really questionable results so far.

It's been so long I can't even recall if I backed it or not. I think I did when it was just going to be another Wing Commander game which is all anyone ever wanted in the first place. I will consult Gmail later and see.
Playing: Xenoblade Chronicles DE, Ys IX, God of War
Watching: Lupin, You me and the Apocalypse, Days of Thunder

Apr 22, 2020, 08:04
Re: Star Citizen Roadmap Potholes Apr 22, 2020, 08:04
Apr 22, 2020, 08:04

Kosumo wrote on Apr 21, 2020, 23:46:
One word - Divorce
If you are referring to Chris and Sandi that could be interesting... divorce proceedings are commonly known to shine a light on areas otherwise completely hidden from public knowledge...
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Apr 21, 2020, 23:46
Re: Star Citizen Roadmap Potholes Apr 21, 2020, 23:46
Apr 21, 2020, 23:46

One word - Divorce

Apr 21, 2020, 22:28
Re: Star Citizen Roadmap Potholes Apr 21, 2020, 22:28
Apr 21, 2020, 22:28

"Vice President of Marketing Sandi Gardiner has disappeared. She doesn't appear at community events or in any of the video content."

"you can sure get lost in the Lousianna bayouuuu"

-Jerry Reed
----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

Apr 21, 2020, 22:15
Re: Star Citizen Roadmap Potholes Apr 21, 2020, 22:15
Apr 21, 2020, 22:15

Kosumo wrote on Apr 21, 2020, 22:04:
But what about mopping?

Yeah, for a while I was considering playing in the PU as "Space Station Fast Food Restaurant Janitor," but I gave that dream up when they dropped "realistic mop head thread physics" from the roadmap.

Apr 21, 2020, 22:04
Re: Star Citizen Roadmap Potholes Apr 21, 2020, 22:04
Apr 21, 2020, 22:04

But what about mopping?

Apr 21, 2020, 21:54
Re: Star Citizen Roadmap Potholes Apr 21, 2020, 21:54
Apr 21, 2020, 21:54

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 21, 2020, 16:28:
As a long-time backer of the project, this is my take:

CIG initially had a roadmap filled with major gameplay elements (salvage, refuelling, server meshing, etc) and each release has seen features not only dropped from a particular patch but from the roadmap entirely. This has been combined with video content that focuses on content already out or almost playable rather than longer term features like it used to.

The roadmap only came about because backers were unhappy with the lack of transparency from CIG and initially it was very positive. It used to be that you could see the plans for the next 12 months yet now it only covers 6 months and there isn't anything worthwhile on it.

This is combined with other concerning developments:
1) Vice President of Marketing Sandi Gardiner has disappeared. She doesn't appear at community events or in any of the video content.
2) Chris Roberts has also dramatically reduced his appearances, outside of concierge events (for backers that have spent over $1,000) and CitizenCon.
3) Erin Roberts (at the UK studio) has been taken off Squadron 42 and replaced with Brian Chambers (German studio) despite it supposedly hitting beta this year. We also haven't seen any gameplay in years.
4) CIG switched to a 6-month cycle, with alternating development teams, in order to increase the quality and speed of features but both have actually decreased.
5) Game performance has reduced with each release and the Vulkan renderer is nowhere to be found.
6) CIG has prioritised low interest features (requiring players to eat and drink, prisons, etc) over long promised features (multi-crew gameplay, personal hangars, etc).
7) At CitizenCon it was announced that a completely separate spin-off, Theatres of War, had been developed and was playable. This was something the community hadn't asked for and wasn't aware was being developed. Despite being close to release, it's been 6 months and we haven't got any timeframe for release.

Right now CIG needs to take a back to basics approach to make the game enjoyable. Once the basics are in it can focus on interactions based upon community feedback.

Thanks for these details. Good to know where things are (or aren't).

As an original backer, all I can say is that they have already completed the two major game play elements I was looking for: realistic ice cube physics, and real-time mapping of player facial movements captured by webcam and mapped to the player's in-world avatar. So I'm good.

Apr 21, 2020, 17:52
Re: Star Citizen Roadmap Potholes Apr 21, 2020, 17:52
Apr 21, 2020, 17:52

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 21, 2020, 16:36:
None of that sounds promising.
Indeed. If that's the best a long time backer can say, things are probably as bad as many think.

Apr 21, 2020, 17:14
Re: Star Citizen Roadmap Potholes Apr 21, 2020, 17:14
Apr 21, 2020, 17:14

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 21, 2020, 16:36:
It will be interesting to see how the game has progressed after another $150 mill and 3 years have passed.
There are a few things that can really turn things around.

1) Theatres of War. It's intended to allow CIG to quickly balance FPS combat with ship combat, plus it acts as a game in its own right. Whilst it may seem like it's going off on a tangent it could help get the core gameplay balanced properly.
2) Squadron 42. We know it's been worked on since 2012 and the majority of CIG's resources are currently focused on it. If it comes out and hits the mark then that will massively increase funding for CIG and also release a huge amount of developers to quickly progress Star Citizen.
3) CitizenCon. CIG always hides away a lot of progress for big reveals. It's one of the reasons the roadmap is currently so sparse. Last year revealed the work on jump points and different weather environments and there's every possibility this year will be as big or even bigger.
4) Server meshing. This will allow players to move between servers in the background and potentially improve performance significantly. It will also allow for a more immersive environment, rather than the small servers we have currently. CIG has recently reprioritised around this.

CIG cannot continue as it is currently. It will either have to deliver on promised features and show what is being worked on or the discontent will continue. What I think may happen is that CIG will drop the quarterly release schedule, as currently a lot of time is spent polishing relatively few features, and move to a more ambitious but slower cycle. If CIG moved to two releases a year they would be more excited, whilst it could have smaller content-only patches to keep fans interested inbetween.

That said, this sort of community upset is quite common and funding has remained consistent, increasing year-on-year. Theatres of War was already playable at CitizenCon in 2019, so shouldn't be too hard to get out to backers, and that should tide people over to Citizen in Q4 2020 when CIG wows backers with a fancy presentation.
"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Apr 21, 2020, 16:36
Re: Star Citizen Roadmap Potholes Apr 21, 2020, 16:36
Apr 21, 2020, 16:36

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Apr 21, 2020, 16:28:

CIG initially had a roadmap filled with major gameplay elements (salvage, refuelling, server meshing, etc) and each release has seen features not only dropped from a particular patch but from the roadmap entirely. This has been combined with video content that focuses on content already out or almost playable rather than longer term features like it used to.

The roadmap only came about because backers were unhappy with the lack of transparency from CIG and initially it was very positive. It used to be that you could see the plans for the next 12 months yet now it only covers 6 months and there isn't anything worthwhile on it.

1) Vice President of Marketing Sandi Gardiner has disappeared. She doesn't appear at community events or in any of the video content.
2) Chris Roberts has also dramatically reduced his appearances, outside of concierge events (for backers that have spent over $1,000) and CitizenCon.
3) Erin Roberts (at the UK studio) has been taken off Squadron 42 and replaced with Brian Chambers (German studio) despite it supposedly hitting beta this year. We also haven't seen any gameplay in years.
4) CIG switched to a 6-month cycle, with alternating development teams, in order to increase the quality and speed of features but both have actually decreased.
5) Game performance has reduced with each release and the Vulkan renderer is nowhere to be found.
6) CIG has prioritised low interest features (requiring players to eat and drink, prisons, etc) over long promised features (multi-crew gameplay, personal hangars, etc).
7) At CitizenCon it was announced that a completely separate spin-off, Theatres of War, had been developed and was playable. This was something the community hadn't asked for and wasn't aware was being developed. Despite being close to release, it's been 6 months and we haven't got any timeframe for release.

Right now CIG needs to take a back to basics approach to make the game enjoyable. Once the basics are in it can focus on interactions based upon community feedback.
It will be interesting to see how the game has progressed after another $150 mill and 3 years have passed.

Apr 21, 2020, 16:28
Re: Star Citizen Roadmap Potholes Apr 21, 2020, 16:28
Apr 21, 2020, 16:28

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance."

Apr 21, 2020, 06:51
Re: Star Citizen Roadmap Potholes Apr 21, 2020, 06:51
Apr 21, 2020, 06:51

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 20, 2020, 11:05:
The Half Elf wrote on Apr 20, 2020, 10:09:
Derek Smart!
He is covering more important stuff now
https://twitter.com/dsmart

i never disliked derek smart. i found him a bit goofy, his games strange. but he had a vision. his campaign against SC and CR is a bit petty, but oh well.

and now he actively goes against the trump? i have to admit, but clicking your link was a bit heartwarming. this is great.

Apr 21, 2020, 06:28
Re: Star Citizen Roadmap Potholes Apr 21, 2020, 06:28
Apr 21, 2020, 06:28

SunnyD wrote on Apr 21, 2020, 01:05:
Is it wrong for me to be more excited by the idea of a thread concerning SC popping up on Blues' than I am about the actual game? Cuz I'm cool with that.

~Finis~
You got your money's worth.

Apr 21, 2020, 01:05
Re: Star Citizen Roadmap Potholes Apr 21, 2020, 01:05
Apr 21, 2020, 01:05

Is it wrong for me to be more excited by the idea of a thread concerning SC popping up on Blues' than I am about the actual game? Cuz I'm cool with that.

~Finis~

Apr 21, 2020, 00:39
Kxmode

Re: Star Citizen Roadmap Potholes Apr 21, 2020, 00:39
Apr 21, 2020, 00:39
 Kxmode

jdreyer wrote on Apr 20, 2020, 19:38:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 20, 2020, 14:17:
Xero wrote on Apr 20, 2020, 14:07:
So let's get this straight. Advertise tons of features or even "pretend" to have been working on all those features to get more money pulled in. THEN, say, whoops, we can't make good on those features announced to pull in your money from the hype. Let's go and actually deliver reasonable content despite taking all your money for the fake promises.

Doesn't sound any different than most shady corporate companies.

Heck, didn't even No Man Sky go that route except it wasn't crowd funded? Thus the anger was more so on a half a$$ delivered game regarding the features promised and what was delivered.

This time it's more like a half a$$ed game with everyone's money?

Chris never planned to release a feature-complete product as far back as September 26, 2013.

"Originally, my road plan was more to be like the way Notch did Minecraft," he says. He intended to release the game as an alpha with an upcoming features list, and then continue development, dropping new versions along the way.

"I'd seen what Minecraft did, and I said, 'It'd be interesting. I could probably get something out for $10 million. It's not the full game I want. And then alpha, sell it at a discount, get people in, and then finish the game off,' which was the big, full $20 million thing I'm talking about."

"The crowdfunding took off, and I could basically have more features than I wanted in the initial game, so the scope grew to what I'd always wanted it to be if I had an unlimited budget. And that was it."

The difference between No Man's Sky and Star Citizen, is people know what they were getting into with SC. Star Citizen is a continually iterated upon alpha. Sean Murray pitched No Man's Sky as a feature-complete product, a retrospective thing I'm sure Sean learned never to repeat. However, both games share the prevailing trend in the industry, which both are responsible for creating, namely, to release products unfinished and build out over time. That's fine, but companies have yet to be upfront with their customers on this. The worse offenders of this have been EA with Anthem, Bethesda with Fallout 76, and Hello Games with No Man's Sky.
Good analysis.

Are you looking forward to the PU when it gets into a playable state? Or just SQ42?

SQ42 for the single-player story. I'm not into the open sandbox because the game is woefully unbalanced with too many pay-2-win players having amassed a fleet of ships, knowledge of the gameplay, well-run corporations, and PVP. It's EVE Online all over again.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Apr 21, 2020, 00:32
Kxmode

Re: Star Citizen Roadmap Potholes Apr 21, 2020, 00:32
Apr 21, 2020, 00:32
 Kxmode

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 20, 2020, 16:37:
Kxmode wrote on Apr 20, 2020, 14:17:
The worse offenders of this have been EA with Anthem, Bethesda with Fallout 76, and Hello Games with No Man's Sky.
At release, yes. However, HG while not earning a pardon for their previous actions, certainly have and continue to do a lot of community service for their crime. NMS has come close to fulfilling its potential. Yeah, there are still some promised things which aren't there, but the game is actually worth its original price now.

To clarify, I am not referring to what the game is now but what it was at release. I noted that in the prior sentences, which you didn't include in your quote: "However, both games share the prevailing trend in the industry, which both are responsible for creating, namely, to release products unfinished and build out over time." And the main point of my post: "That's fine, but companies have yet to be upfront with their customers on this." Setting aside the ridiculous levels of scope creep, from the beginning, Chris Roberts has been upfront with people so that they know what they get with Star Citizen. In other words, they are not purchasing a feature-complete product. I would like to see publishers be as transparent and forthright in stating that their products will launch incomplete and built out over time if that is the plan.

Further, they should price such products accordingly. It is inappropriate to charge $60 for something that, by all standards, is not a finished product. Even Star Citizen's starter pack for $45 seems inappropriate. At most, $25. That would match Chris's plan from 2013, "then alpha, sell it at a discount, get people in, and then finish the game off."
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Apr 20, 2020, 23:32
Re: Star Citizen Roadmap Potholes Apr 20, 2020, 23:32
Apr 20, 2020, 23:32

Overon wrote on Apr 20, 2020, 23:15:
I want to know what Derek Smart has to say about this.
I would imagine the same thing he has always had to say about it, I doubt his opinion has changed.
58 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older