DCS World Fly Everything for Free Month

The Fly Everything Event for Digital Combat Simulator World mentioned on Friday is now underway (thanks Olaf). This offers the chance to test fly all the aircraft in Eagle Dynamics' integrated flight sim roster for the next month along with the chance to buy them for half-off and support charity at the same time. Here's the flight plan:
Dear fighter pilots, partners and friends,

The global spread of COVID-19 is affecting every single one of us. We are a people-first company, and we believe that technology can change lives and give hope. To study the virus, protect the vulnerable and beat this thing requires that we all play a part. We want to update you about what we’re doing.

Last month we gave the opportunity for all to try and test our products for a two day period at a time. This was well received and a total of over 200 thousand modules and trials were downloaded during this free event.

In view of last months response, we are pleased to announce our upcoming Free For All event, starting April 19th, where you are welcome to try any and all our products (except campaigns) for free and without limitation for one month. This unlimited access to all our suite of products, including our top fighter jets, such as the F-16C, F/A-18C and A-10C Warthog will help take your mind off things for a while, giving you the opportunity to try something new, and to own it for 50% or less than the normal price.*

We know that this is a small contribution to your personal lives but we hope that you will take full advantage of the offer and help the time fly by. In addition to this, we will be donating 10% of our net turnover generated during the event to Children First, a foundation that we have become very involved with for the past few years. This organisation supports the work of an amazing Dr Stefano Scaringella, a Capucin Priest and surgeon who has dedicated the past 40 years of his life to saving children and to promoting health in Madagascar, one of the poorest nations in the world. Please check this out, they too are hit badly and need all the help in the world: www.childrenfirst.fund

Thank you for your passion and support and stay safe.

Yours sincerely,
The Eagle Dynamics Team
View : : :
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

removed
May 21, 2020, 13:50
removed May 21, 2020, 13:50
May 21, 2020, 13:50

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 21, 2020, 14:10.

Re: DCS World Fly Everything for Free Month
May 21, 2020, 03:48
Re: DCS World Fly Everything for Free Month May 21, 2020, 03:48
May 21, 2020, 03:48

Did you give it a go? It's my favorite plane to fly, the wing sweep stuff make me feel like I'm in macross it's awesome. I've gotten my money out of it just playing carrier traps (1/2 the time I catch a wire and probably deserve a court marshal, 1/2 the time I bolter or crash into the boat).

But unless you know someone who wants to dedicate their life to being Goose I find it is a bit of a pain in combat. The AI RIO "Jester" is decent but you appreciate how important that role is, probably more so than the pilot - the workload is definitely much harder in most parts of the flight. But again it's a joy to fly I love it.

Gotta relearn F-18 now and try out this new supercarrier. Exciting!

Apr 20, 2020, 17:45
Re: DCS World Fly Everything for Free Month Apr 20, 2020, 17:45
Apr 20, 2020, 17:45

I've been itching to try the F-14 module, hopefully it's included in this trial period.

Apr 20, 2020, 16:10
Re: DCS World Fly Everything for Free Month Apr 20, 2020, 16:10
Apr 20, 2020, 16:10

Biggest hurdle for me with fligh sims is the setup. I can't understand how people can comfortably use hotas on their desk! It kills my shoulders. And it just takes up so much space. Wish I had a spare room or a garage to put a full sim pit in

Apr 20, 2020, 09:40
Re: DCS World Fly Everything for Free Month Apr 20, 2020, 09:40
Apr 20, 2020, 09:40

Cutter wrote on Apr 19, 2020, 15:43:
$100 plus bucks on some of those planes? Yeesh!

It's worth it. Just buy your favorite I gaurantee there is enough to learn to keep you occupied for years via user missions and the inherent complexity of any single given aircraft. Yes I'd prefer to get an awesome campaign like in Falcon 4 or Janes Apache but that is about as likely to happen as a good succesor to Total Annihilation/Supcom. I gotta let it go frozen style.

This game is very different. Every module I've tried has been worth it. The fidelity of a full, VR or TrackIR ready, clickable cockpit is stunning. The carrier landings in the F14/18 alone are worth thousands of dollars to me. No other computer experience has come close to that kind of heart stopping tension. Huey and Spitfire are also phenomenal. I assume all the other shit I havn't tried is as well, but seriosuly who has the money/time for all of it. It's not necessary. One plane/chopper would be enough. If you are lucky it's one of the two free ones! Just flying these things is rewarding. I havn't even learned the weapon systems on most of them. I don't even care to really. It's so good just flying about and landing/takeoff but way more fun than a civilian sim because unlike those planes, these ones are not optimised for that. These are high powered deathtraps and you FEEL it when you fly them. It's crazy how good it feels.

It's not for everyone, I wouldn't have the patience to learn on my own probably (I can Kerbal level normally, but not much more than that) but if you watch enough youtube or find a friend to learn with it's a real good ride. The learning experience IS the game in this situation.

Also I'm an idiot. I would never get anywhere near the navy in my or your country, but with a little effort I can fly a fake computer F-14 and catch a shitty 1 or 4 wire on a modern supercarrier and thats about as close to an actual battlemech/Valkyrie fighter game our reality can provide. It's amazing.

I started with an old Sidewinder joystick. I still don't have pedals. I inherited an old thurstmaster X52 Pro. Better gear is always better, you will dream of handmade pedals from some croatian artist genius that cost 1200 dollars a piece but you don't need any of it. Every step helps though. I spent my first few years without a trackIR but after a basic stick that would be my first suggestion if you don't have VR already.

Sims are for everybody who can suck it up and well, suck, for the first 10 hours or so. The rewards are amazing though. You convince yourself that you are proficient at something and it feels good after a while! Even though that something isn't relevent to any real life skills. Especially after what this COVID thing has done to aviation but who cares. This is PC gaming. It's all about wasting time and money and sims are the living embodiment of that philosophy.

Or just watch some trap session videos on youtube from real F-18 pilots with go-pros on their helmets, or DCS pilots for that matter! it's 1/4 the fun for none of the cost. But if you need a new hobby I couldn't recomend DCS more.

Apr 19, 2020, 19:12
Re: DCS World Fly Everything for Free Month Apr 19, 2020, 19:12
Apr 19, 2020, 19:12

Flaming Cliffs 3 (a poor Russian translation) has multiple planes for a single decent price and they're much easier to learn.

You get a US fighter, US attack plane, a Russian attack plane, and a few Russian fighters.

If you try and like them, and you get into it, and you want more fidelity, then you can move up to the A-10C, or Hornet, or Tomcat, or Harrier, or whatever. Starting with one of those is not forgiving or fun for most people.

Apr 19, 2020, 18:03
Re: DCS World Fly Everything for Free Month Apr 19, 2020, 18:03
Apr 19, 2020, 18:03

You would typically buy one or two planes, because like in real life, you'd only ever have time to master a handleful. The WW2 planes might take about 3 months to master because of the flight model, you gotta get a feel for it.And many months more do understand the tactics. But the modern planes, easily years worth of entertainment to learn an master every system in the aircraft let alone the tactics of modern air combat, it's lot different to how planes in Battlefield 3 work :-) You are essentially training to become a fighter/attack pilot when you play DCS in realistic mode. It really isn't a game, and if you aren't interested in military aviation a person would find this very dull indeed. There's no balance like in a game of War Thunder. This is about accurately representing the aircraft, which is typically completely OP for the mission. The challenge/fun comes in learning how to fly and employ the weapon systems as they were designed to be. E.g. in the Black Shark you will fly to a designation, and sit 8km away launching missiles at helpless vehicles. No balance :-) But that's the whole point of the aircraft - they wouldn't employ it on a mission that it's not meant for :-)

Anyway $100 is nothing compared to the thousands of dollars serious sim players spend on their rigs and controls. A highly accurate Joystick/Throttle/Pedals will be around $1000 mark, and then typically you'd buying a 2080ti if you want to play in VR, which you should!

Apr 19, 2020, 17:12
Re: DCS World Fly Everything for Free Month Apr 19, 2020, 17:12
Apr 19, 2020, 17:12

Given the fidelity of the simulations and the small size of the niche market, they have to charge a lot to stay in business.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Apr 19, 2020, 16:48
Re: DCS World Fly Everything for Free Month Apr 19, 2020, 16:48
Apr 19, 2020, 16:48

Gonna take me a month to start one of those aircraft...

Apr 19, 2020, 15:43
Cutter

Re: DCS World Fly Everything for Free Month Apr 19, 2020, 15:43
Apr 19, 2020, 15:43
 Cutter

"I didn't know you had it in you. Sorry, poor choice of words." - David
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older