Out of the Blue

Apparently today is National Horny Day, a "holiday" for which there does not seem to be an international equivalent. I also see a listing showing that this esteemed occasion is October 29th, though it could be argued that every day is horny day. On the other hand, it could also be argued that this is unnecessary this year, since we have all been so screwed for so long now, but that's not how this works. Anyway, happy Horny Day, enjoy your thirst.

Horny Links
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Link

Stories

Science

Images

Media

Follow-ups

View : : :
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Apr 17, 2020, 04:05
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 17, 2020, 04:05
Apr 17, 2020, 04:05

Orogogus wrote on Apr 16, 2020, 18:34:
Beamer wrote on Apr 16, 2020, 18:15:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 16, 2020, 17:18:
Covid 19 is now neck and neck with heart disease as the leading cause of death in the US. flu/pneumonia rank a distant 9th place.
Show this chart to the skeptics and fox noise droolers you have the misfortune of knowing. http://archive.today/xCiox

They're not double-counting, so many of those pneumonia deaths are being called COVID-19 deaths. Which makes sense. There wouldn't have been the pneumonia without the coronavirus.

My cousin posted something on Facebook saying they're overcounting coronavirus, and anyone with it that dies is counted as a coronavirus death. This was illustrated with a meme showing Jaws, saying that if you had coronavirus and were killed by a shark, it would be counted as coronavirus.

I don't interact with him, why bother, but told my parents he's looking at it wrong. Instead, they're counting correlated deaths. For instance, if a shark attacks you and you swim free, make it to shore, and bleed out on the beach, should that be considered a death by blood loss, or is it a death by shark attack? You didn't die directly from that shark attack, but it caused the condition you did die from.

As noted the other day, it's generally being undercounted in the US since most jurisdictions don't count COVID-19 deaths unless they have test results in hand when the cause of death is signed, and it's still not easy to get a test in the US. So there are a lot of people metaphorically bitten in half with giant tooth marks but no shark test result, so their death statistic falls under blood loss or whatever. NYC just added probable COVID-19 deaths to their count, but that's not the norm. And with tests so limited, just how many false COVID-19 deaths do people think there are out there? Most people still aren't getting tested unless their symptoms scream COVID-19.

And, to top it off, mortality rate of a virus does not mean anything. In controlled environments in the best health-care available you can get mortality down to 0.36% for Covid-19 that is, until you have 500k sick people with pneumonia on top of every other sickness that is still a problem (heart etc.) then you have 470k dead because if you start triage people are gonna die like flies. For many illnesses intensive care is not optional but absolutely required for long-term survival. When they say flatten the curve, it's not because of Covid-19 being so deadly, but because overloading health-care systems because of Covid-19 exponential spread would utterly ruin a nation. And Covid-19, as in, the lung disease caused by ncov19, is absolute nightmare stuff. I would not want to even see that in person ever.

Statistics are really bad for this pandemic too. Because how you count people that died as a result of someone else having covid-19 and thus blocking intensive care but from different cause? How do you count people with covid-19 that died from a heart-attack? (Because the virus can attack the heart too)? Point being. Don't trust those numbers. You can see the rate from the numbers, what you can not see is total dead and total infected. Not until a long time in the future when general mortality index is based on raised numbers and not predictions.

Apr 16, 2020, 20:34
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2020, 20:34
Apr 16, 2020, 20:34

Beamer wrote on Apr 16, 2020, 11:20:
And I have so much to do that I'm basically working 5 hours every Saturday and Sunday. Some weekdays I also work only 5 hours, but they'll be spread out. A 10-11 meeting, a 1-2 meeting, a 3-4 meeting, and an hour and a half spent following up that meeting. The day is broken into microchunks, instead of time that can be spent delving into something.

Every day is basically the same.

Oof, I bet your GF likes that.
If Russia stops fighting, the war ends. If Ukraine stops fighting, Ukraine ends. Slava Ukraini!

Apr 16, 2020, 18:34
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2020, 18:34
Apr 16, 2020, 18:34

Beamer wrote on Apr 16, 2020, 18:15:
Covid 19 is now neck and neck with heart disease as the leading cause of death in the US. flu/pneumonia rank a distant 9th place.
Show this chart to the skeptics and fox noise droolers you have the misfortune of knowing. http://archive.today/xCiox

They're not double-counting, so many of those pneumonia deaths are being called COVID-19 deaths. Which makes sense. There wouldn't have been the pneumonia without the coronavirus.

My cousin posted something on Facebook saying they're overcounting coronavirus, and anyone with it that dies is counted as a coronavirus death. This was illustrated with a meme showing Jaws, saying that if you had coronavirus and were killed by a shark, it would be counted as coronavirus.

I don't interact with him, why bother, but told my parents he's looking at it wrong. Instead, they're counting correlated deaths. For instance, if a shark attacks you and you swim free, make it to shore, and bleed out on the beach, should that be considered a death by blood loss, or is it a death by shark attack? You didn't die directly from that shark attack, but it caused the condition you did die from.

As noted the other day, it's generally being undercounted in the US since most jurisdictions don't count COVID-19 deaths unless they have test results in hand when the cause of death is signed, and it's still not easy to get a test in the US. So there are a lot of people metaphorically bitten in half with giant tooth marks but no shark test result, so their death statistic falls under blood loss or whatever. NYC just added probable COVID-19 deaths to their count, but that's not the norm. And with tests so limited, just how many false COVID-19 deaths do people think there are out there? Most people still aren't getting tested unless their symptoms scream COVID-19.

Apr 16, 2020, 18:15
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2020, 18:15
Apr 16, 2020, 18:15

Apr 16, 2020, 17:18
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2020, 17:18
Apr 16, 2020, 17:18

- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Apr 16, 2020, 15:37
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2020, 15:37
Apr 16, 2020, 15:37

Cram wrote on Apr 16, 2020, 14:58:
JZ Temple wrote on Apr 16, 2020, 14:43:
The story on the WWE getting the green light to start production again failed to mention one important fact, that the day after getting the go-ahead from a Republican governor, Linda McMahon (whose husband heads WWE) made an $18.5 million dollar donation to the Trump campaign.

I think this Reddit thread is important to put some things being said into the correct context. This includes Linda and Florida essential services stuff.

None of that changes it. Though I'm not making up my mind, it is odd that only Florida finds live sporting events to be essential. And yes, the Super PAC donated to several states, but 70% went to Florida.

Apr 16, 2020, 14:58
Cram

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2020, 14:58
Apr 16, 2020, 14:58
 Cram

JZ Temple wrote on Apr 16, 2020, 14:43:
The story on the WWE getting the green light to start production again failed to mention one important fact, that the day after getting the go-ahead from a Republican governor, Linda McMahon (whose husband heads WWE) made an $18.5 million dollar donation to the Trump campaign.

I think this Reddit thread is important to put some things being said into the correct context. This includes Linda and Florida essential services stuff.

Apr 16, 2020, 14:43
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2020, 14:43
Apr 16, 2020, 14:43

Apr 16, 2020, 14:26
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2020, 14:26
Apr 16, 2020, 14:26

One of my favorite lines from an old Cheech & Chong skit is a guy offers Chong a watch to which he replies, "No thanks, I'm not really into time, man."

Apr 16, 2020, 11:48
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2020, 11:48
Apr 16, 2020, 11:48

Days of the week are completely overrated. I stopped playing attention to them four years ago when I got laid off and decided to retire.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Apr 16, 2020, 11:37
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2020, 11:37
Apr 16, 2020, 11:37

best comment
I see Poland is getting into the space race.
- At this point, Windows is the OS equivalent of Stockholm Syndrome. -
Burrito of Peace

Apr 16, 2020, 11:35
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2020, 11:35
Apr 16, 2020, 11:35

Woo hoo! Go Jim Starlin! Probably the favorite comic book character of my youth and all time. I often name my characters Vanth or Dreadstar in games. Pledged at the $80 level.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Apr 16, 2020, 11:20
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2020, 11:20
Apr 16, 2020, 11:20

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 16, 2020, 10:45:
Color me old-skool, but I have a calendar in my house... part of being freelance IT is basically establishing focus points and rituals in your daily stuff. I have tons of free-time sometime, and sometime not but I always make sure it feels like a cyclic week and not "7 days identical" although it is pretty hard to do that when every day is, essentially, a sunday.

I still have most of my days full of meetings. When not in meetings, it's deliverables.

My work timing is all screwed up. Some days I'll do something late at night. If I'm bored, and thinking about it, why not? I need to do it sometimes. And I have so much to do that I'm basically working 5 hours every Saturday and Sunday. Some weekdays I also work only 5 hours, but they'll be spread out. A 10-11 meeting, a 1-2 meeting, a 3-4 meeting, and an hour and a half spent following up that meeting. The day is broken into microchunks, instead of time that can be spent delving into something.

Every day is basically the same.

Apr 16, 2020, 10:58
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2020, 10:58
Apr 16, 2020, 10:58

On the other hand, it could also be argued that this is unnecessary this year, since we have all been so screwed for so long now, but that's not how this works.
Bravo, sir. >insert golf clap< The spatter of spewed coffee did not *quite* make it to my keyboard.

Apr 16, 2020, 10:45
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 16, 2020, 10:45
Apr 16, 2020, 10:45

Color me old-skool, but I have a calendar in my house... part of being freelance IT is basically establishing focus points and rituals in your daily stuff. I have tons of free-time sometime, and sometime not but I always make sure it feels like a cyclic week and not "7 days identical" although it is pretty hard to do that when every day is, essentially, a sunday.
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older