Out of the Blue

Today is the 50th anniversary of the launch of Apollo 13, the ill-fated moon mission disaster that was a "successful failure" after the safe return of astronauts Jim Lovell, Fred Haise, and Jack Swigert following an explosion that crippled their spacecraft. I don't know how accurate the Ron Howard movie based on the incident is, but it's an incredible story that gives me chills every time I see it. I think I will mark the occasion by watching it again. Gene Kranz: "With all due respect, sir, I believe this is gonna be our finest hour."

Obituary: Computational Biologist James Taylor Dies.

13 Lucky Links
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Brunch Links

Stories

Science

Media

Follow-up

The Funnies

View : : :
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Apr 12, 2020, 21:27
Beamer

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2020, 21:27
Apr 12, 2020, 21:27
 Beamer

Drath71 wrote on Apr 12, 2020, 17:15:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 12, 2020, 14:31:
Drath71 wrote on Apr 12, 2020, 11:32:
A Company Promised Cheap Ventilators to the Government, Never Delivered and Is Now Charging Quadruple the Price for New Ones

Yet more confirmation that the only thing our government needs as little control as possible over things.

If anything, this is an argument for more control over vital devices like this, not less. If only we had somebody in government who was good at making deals, he/she could have gotten the US a good price on these...

Right, because the last administration totally took care of the stockpile during his 2 terms. NOT.
And I agree, the current administration is making stupid decisions all around, as did the LAST one. Hence my lack of confidence overall, why give the government any more power than you have to. The big government you love one year may become the monster the next, so why give it great power over your life?

Yes, the last administration didn't improve the stockpile. Obama was praised for how he handled it in 2015, but he wasn't really successful for his entire term.

Hmm.

Why could that be?

In 2011, he tried to increase the funding, but it never happened. Gee, how did that happen?

Let's see what the chairman of the appropriation committee had to say. “There are always more needs for financial support from our hardworking taxpayers than we have the ability to pay." Wow. Sounds like the guy overseeing it refused any funding. He must be an Obama guy. No, sorry, he was a tea party guy, Denny Rehberg.

In fact, Rehberg introduced a bill that cut the funding, which had been $600M, and Obama tried to make $650M, down to [url=https://www.congress.gov/bill/112th-congress/house-bill/3070/text522M.[/url]

The final number was $534M. Democrats wanted $650M, the GOP cut it to $534.

Tell us again how this is Obama's doing.

Apr 12, 2020, 20:37
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2020, 20:37
Apr 12, 2020, 20:37

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 12, 2020, 18:15:
Right, because the last administration totally took care of the stockpile during his 2 terms. NOT.
And I agree, the current administration is making stupid decisions all around, as did the LAST one. Hence my lack of confidence overall, why give the government any more power than you have to. The big government you love one year may become the monster the next, so why give it great power over your life?

A functional, fair government is the only defense citizens have against for profit corporations. End of story.

I disagree that it's "big government" when it comes to dealing with things like global pandemics... what for profit corporation would you suggest we let profiteer off people dying? I don't think anybody loves the idea of government, it's just the least worst option available to human civilization. Time and time again, history proves to us that for profit solutions DO NOT WORK FOR ALL PROBLEMS. Unregulated businesses immediately cut corners in safety and pollution levels, world wide, let alone the US. The free market does not encourage benevolence or even honesty.

A strong, fair government, with an honest press constantly examining its work, can mix with regulated corporations and actually improve human life.

Of course the reality is our current government in the US(and many other countries) is full of complete pieces of shit, determined to destroy government and give everything to billionaires and their companies, and all attempts at honest media are combatted with organized propaganda, but that's a separate set of problems.

Everybody throwing their hands up in the air and saying "no government!" is childish and will just speed up the downward spiral to corporate kleptocracy. What do you think an average person can do even now, against any of these corporations? Sue them? Be reasonable. The only defense is working to repair the government we have, and getting corporate money out of politics in the future, as soon as possible. This will be diffcult, of course.

Odd, I don't recall saying "no government", so why take it to that extreme?. And I agree a functional fair government is great, but ours has gotten so big, it exists to further itself, and the citizens are seen a vital resource for consumption to keep right on growing.
And nobody but corporations want to be monopolies, the average person certainly doesn't. But like BIG government, there is a balance in there. I'm as much against monopolistic, controlling corporations as I am a monopolistic, controlling government. They're the same thing, but one can force you with a gun to your head, so that makes it even worse.

Apr 12, 2020, 18:15
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2020, 18:15
Apr 12, 2020, 18:15

A functional, fair government is the only defense citizens have against for profit corporations. End of story.

I disagree that it's "big government" when it comes to dealing with things like global pandemics... what for profit corporation would you suggest we let profiteer off people dying? I don't think anybody loves the idea of government, it's just the least worst option available to human civilization. Time and time again, history proves to us that for profit solutions DO NOT WORK FOR ALL PROBLEMS. Unregulated businesses immediately cut corners in safety and pollution levels, world wide, let alone the US. The free market does not encourage benevolence or even honesty.

A strong, fair government, with an honest press constantly examining its work, can mix with regulated corporations and actually improve human life.

Of course the reality is our current government in the US(and many other countries) is full of complete pieces of shit, determined to destroy government and give everything to billionaires and their companies, and all attempts at honest media are combatted with organized propaganda, but that's a separate set of problems.

Everybody throwing their hands up in the air and saying "no government!" is childish and will just speed up the downward spiral to corporate kleptocracy. What do you think an average person can do even now, against any of these corporations? Sue them? Be reasonable. The only defense is working to repair the government we have, and getting corporate money out of politics in the future, as soon as possible. This will be diffcult, of course.

Apr 12, 2020, 17:15
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2020, 17:15
Apr 12, 2020, 17:15

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 12, 2020, 14:31:
A Company Promised Cheap Ventilators to the Government, Never Delivered and Is Now Charging Quadruple the Price for New Ones

Yet more confirmation that the only thing our government needs as little control as possible over things.

If anything, this is an argument for more control over vital devices like this, not less. If only we had somebody in government who was good at making deals, he/she could have gotten the US a good price on these...

Apr 12, 2020, 17:12
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2020, 17:12
Apr 12, 2020, 17:12

What? The stockpile was severely depleted after the H1N1 outbreak of 2009. The stockpile that was created initially by Clinton and further increased by Bush. Obama didn't replenish the stockpile (for almost his entire 2 terms) and Trump didn't either during his first. So both sides are to thank and blame for the situation. Feel free to look it up somewhere factual like politifacts or wikipedia, if you can handle it.
But saying we only have a stockpile at all is because of Obama is, well is either lying or just ignorance. I mean...where do you get your facts, RedEye? TDS anonymous? Sheesh.

Apr 12, 2020, 14:31
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2020, 14:31
Apr 12, 2020, 14:31

Apr 12, 2020, 12:05
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2020, 12:05
Apr 12, 2020, 12:05
 Cutter

How the hell do you figure that? That was simply a contract negotiated in bad faith. Negotiated by the Trump administration at that. That speaks volumes more than government procuring things that a country actually needs. The only reason you had a stockpile at all was because of the competence and foresight of the Obama administration. Once again, all it demonstrates is the incompetence, greed, and stupidity of conservatives.
"If you're going through Hell...keep going."
- Winston Churchill

Apr 12, 2020, 11:32
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2020, 11:32
Apr 12, 2020, 11:32

Apr 12, 2020, 08:27
NKD
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 12, 2020, 08:27
Apr 12, 2020, 08:27
NKD

These chinese hackers are getting out of control. I liked them better when they were sitting in the field out behind my base with their laptops making me money.
Thou art an artless, greasy tallow-catch.

Apr 11, 2020, 23:56
Jivaro

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2020, 23:56
Apr 11, 2020, 23:56
 Jivaro

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 11, 2020, 20:28:
Um folks... one of the Tigers here at the Cincy Zoo tested positive for COV19 (and had symptoms), which was given to the tiger by one of it's trainers....

Yeah, I think it was Bronx Zoo in New York that had that happen as well.

Apr 11, 2020, 23:14
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2020, 23:14
Apr 11, 2020, 23:14

A Company Promised Cheap Ventilators to the Government, Never Delivered and Is Now Charging Quadruple the Price for New Ones.

Time to Martin Shkreli the fuckers.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

Apr 11, 2020, 23:13
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2020, 23:13
Apr 11, 2020, 23:13

Huntsman spiders make Aussies scream but are they deadly?

Made Snow White scream. And usually deadly, although hers took pity. Typical: pretty girls get all the breaks.

This comment was edited on Apr 11, 2020, 23:23.
To prevent CV-19, avoid the Serious Seven: weddings, funerals, faith-based activities, bars, gyms, house gatherings and other small events.

removed
Apr 11, 2020, 23:09
removed Apr 11, 2020, 23:09
Apr 11, 2020, 23:09

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 12, 2020, 03:58.

Apr 11, 2020, 23:07
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2020, 23:07
Apr 11, 2020, 23:07

The Half Elf wrote on Apr 11, 2020, 20:28:
Um folks... one of the Tigers here at the Cincy Zoo tested positive for COV19 (and had symptoms), which was given to the tiger by one of it's trainers....
So stop sneaking into the zoo in the middle of the night to snuggle with the tigers, and you'll be fine.

Although, if you continue and something crazy happens, they'd be able to make an awesome documentary: Tiger Halfelf: Mayhem and Madness.

Apr 11, 2020, 23:03
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2020, 23:03
Apr 11, 2020, 23:03

Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 11, 2020, 19:00:
Sugarman wrote on Apr 11, 2020, 17:07:
Anyone else seeing chinese symbols where there's an "apostrophe r" in text?

ZOMG! CHINESE HAXX0RZ!

Nothing to see here. Please disregard.

Chinese Cyber Corps infiltration of Blues News complete. Transmission of COVID19 via the internet in 3...2...1...

Apr 11, 2020, 20:49
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2020, 20:49
Apr 11, 2020, 20:49

Lulz, I was just talking with my sister about how the Mormons are all set with their standard 4 months of food reserves. I brought it up after reading an article about a guy who was raised Mormon but has mostly left the practices behind.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Apr 11, 2020, 20:44
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2020, 20:44
Apr 11, 2020, 20:44

I sent an email to check in with an acquaintance who I haven't heard from in a couple years. I shared that a mutual friend was making masks and that I was well prepared with 96 tp rolls and 3 cans of soup.
This was the response
All is well here. If this continues for about another year, I will make a dent in the storehouse of food, water, propane, hoarded medicines and paper products that I have 'prepped' for the last 3 years.

All I have been studying for the last three years is unfolding nicely and we shall have a new world in another 2 years which barely resembles this one.

I am excited for the upgrade!
sigh
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test. It's a compassion test. It's a decency test. It's a social responsibility test.
Cover Your Eyes for even more protection.

Apr 11, 2020, 20:28
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2020, 20:28
Apr 11, 2020, 20:28

Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

Apr 11, 2020, 19:56
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2020, 19:56
Apr 11, 2020, 19:56
 Cutter

I'd scan for virus and malware.
"If you're going through Hell...keep going."
- Winston Churchill

Apr 11, 2020, 19:00
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 11, 2020, 19:00
Apr 11, 2020, 19:00

Sugarman wrote on Apr 11, 2020, 17:07:
Anyone else seeing chinese symbols where there's an "apostrophe r" in text?

ZOMG! CHINESE HAXX0RZ!
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older