Op Ed

• Ars Technica - Ars analysis: -80% of Steam games earn under $5K in first two weeks. Thanks JDreyer.
    "But even as the number of successes on Steam has increased, the number of failures has increased even more, both on an absolute and relative basis. For developers, that means just getting a game on Steam isn't anything close to a guarantee of being able to find a significant audience these days. For players, that means sifting through Steam storefront listings full of a lot of crap that apparently very few people want to buy."

• PayneReactor - I want to be sedated.
    "What struck me upon revisiting the game in 2020 was the fact that Max, when injured by non-player villain characters, is damaged all the time. He never really has a chance to recover from his injuries but sustains more and more, and the player is encouraged to hoard painkillers and frantically smash a button when Max comes dangerously close to losing his life. It’s this constant yo-yo between frenetic, bullet-dodging gameplay and constant monitoring of Max’s wellbeing that leaves the player in an almost out-of-breath race to solve the narrative puzzle surrounding the character to ensure his agency and success. To beat the game, you have to use."
View : : :
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Op Ed
Apr 9, 2020, 09:31
Re: Op Ed Apr 9, 2020, 09:31
Apr 9, 2020, 09:31

Beamer wrote on Apr 9, 2020, 08:51:
Some people here just see what they want.

Said by someone who has called me alt-right because I didn't agree with them politically on everything. And who cherry-picked one sentence of my post to respond to because it gave you the ammunition you wanted. Perhaps some introspection is in order.
Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Twitch

Apr 9, 2020, 08:51
Beamer

Re: Op Ed Apr 9, 2020, 08:51
Apr 9, 2020, 08:51
 Beamer

I fail to see how this blames, or bashes, steam. Nowhere does the article say this is the fault of steam, or unique to steam.

Some people here just see what they want. They decide they hate some form of media, with one type they hate video game reporters, then just imagine things to hate them for. It's just odd to think this is using steam as a reason, rather than just a source of information and the primary place pc games are purchased.

Apr 9, 2020, 07:13
Re: Op Ed Apr 9, 2020, 07:13
Apr 9, 2020, 07:13

Parallax Abstraction wrote on Apr 8, 2020, 13:45:
Then again, this is a Kyle Orland article so I shouldn't be surprised this is the position he's taking. Bashing Steam is the latest trend in the games press.

The issue is the internet is filled with clickbait in order to drive ad revenue, once you see these articles enough times they know that spouting bs and being an idiot drives people to click and say "aren't these people morons".

So in some greater sense people are falling for these pseudo-clickbait traps.

Plenty of good games sell even in early access. Deep rock galactic and Dead cells.

The reality is most games suck and are low quality and even the good ones have such low content as to be barely a game. Since modern gamers are basically idiots who will buy anything. What good games there are from indies are usually short and many can't even be called full games.

Apr 8, 2020, 13:45
Re: Op Ed Apr 8, 2020, 13:45
Apr 8, 2020, 13:45

So many indie devs don't seem to realize that:

a) The vast majority of all video games released lose money (same with music, books and movies.)

b) You can't just put a game out with no marketing and expect it to sell. "Good games sell themselves" isn't true and has never been true.

c) Indie games are still a niche market. Most people with Steam accounts rarely if ever look at indie games at all and fewer still are digging to find the hidden gems.

I say this as someone whose YouTube and live streaming channels are growing far slower than they could be because I love indie games and try to showcase the ones that no one's talking about. But the amount of devs who naively spend years making a game having no concept of the industry realities and then who and blame platforms and the audience for their lack of success (ironically often calling the audience the ones who are entitled) is mind-blowing to me.

Ironically, between easy to use engines that have minimal costs and asset stores, it's arguably become too easy to make games now. This is good because it's democratized the process but it's also bad because the market is getting flooded and unfortunately, a lot of it is junk from people who think they have a lot more talent than that actually do. That does unfortuantely drown out some good stuff but that's not Steam's fault, that's just the reality of an industry that's made it a lot easier for anyone to be a part of it.

I love how articles like this act as if Steam alone is the reason these devs aren't succeeding and not the fact that they're entering into a hyper-competitive market, usually not promoting their titles to a significant degree and that oh yeah, a lot of them are just derivative variations on a theme and not nearly as unique as they think. Try selling an indie game on Switch or PS4 right now. It's not any easier and in fact, is notably more expensive to get on those platforms than Steam.

If you go into making an indie game counting on its success to drive your future, you are making a big mistake. You have about as good odds of winning the lottery as you do hitting it big as an indie developer. That's not Steam's fault, that's the way making any kind of art for a living works.

Then again, this is a Kyle Orland article so I shouldn't be surprised this is the position he's taking. Bashing Steam is the latest trend in the games press.

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 2020, 14:26.
Parallax Abstraction
Podcast | YouTube | Twitch

Apr 8, 2020, 12:09
Re: Op Ed Apr 8, 2020, 12:09
Apr 8, 2020, 12:09

I have ~6,000 titles on Steam set as 'ignored' right now, and I'm still seeing games that I'd like to try eventually. But it's just hard to advertise indie games, I imagine, due to how crowded the store is. One of my favorite indie games, Synthetik, only just recently exploded in sales after over a year of being fairly anonymous, thanks to some youtuber's video showing it off.

Before that, though, I guess sales were satisfactory for the devs (2-3 person team), enough to start working on two more games. So it does work, but boy is it stressful for indies, I'm sure.

Apr 8, 2020, 11:41
Re: Op Ed Apr 8, 2020, 11:41
Apr 8, 2020, 11:41

A lot of games that are done by one or two people (they do exist on Steam) would see that as an OK return for two weeks. I would be more interested in what they make in the first 6 months. The problem, I imagine, is that number is too small for larger or more involved indy games, but just fine for those dreadful asset dump 'games'.
I'm like the man who single-handedly built the rocket and went to the moon. What was his name? Apollo Creed?

Apr 8, 2020, 10:55
Re: Op Ed Apr 8, 2020, 10:55
Apr 8, 2020, 10:55

Pretty sure people are not spending much on non-essential things, steam games included. Trying to make sense of current and long term trends in purchasing right now seems kind of pointless.

Apr 8, 2020, 10:06
PHJF

Re: Op Ed Apr 8, 2020, 10:06
Apr 8, 2020, 10:06
 PHJF

99% of games on Steam are fucking garbage. Case closed.
Steam + PSN: PHJF
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older