40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

removed
May 25, 2020, 03:53
removed May 25, 2020, 03:53
May 25, 2020, 03:53

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on May 25, 2020, 04:45.

Re: Morning Safety Dance
Apr 16, 2020, 10:28
Beamer

Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 16, 2020, 10:28
Apr 16, 2020, 10:28
 Beamer

Slush54 wrote on Apr 16, 2020, 09:39:
Beamer wrote on Apr 15, 2020, 08:33:

Go back to 1996. No one cares.

(Bear poke)

You have no right to complain when they drip you packets from the cloud and you can no longer access your games or mod them because you allowed Microsoft, valve and company to literally take over your computer with criminally coded software removing your control of your PC.

Enjoy your always online windows 10 buddy, see you in 20 years when you can't even access or mod games anymore. Since they will all be fully drm'd like they got on mobile.

Have you seen me complain?
Every game I want to play I can play.
Meanwhile, sorry, the golden old days weren't so glorious. Downloading QuakeSpy just to find servers. Even if the game had built in server browsing, it was luck of the draw. Some days you'd spend 10-20 minutes trying to find a decent server. Inevitably, some jackass would come on griefing, and you maybe had the ability to kick, but no ability to prevent him from immediately rejoining the same server. Servers you found reliable would disappear as the guy hosting it, with his own money, of course, would get into a new game and switch the server over to that, meaning you were at the whim of random people and the kindness of their hosting.

Today? Things just work. Yeah, some of your multiplayer games may disappear if no one is playing them, but at the same time, if no one is playing them, there's no point to trying to play them because any servers you can find are empty. Unless you want to pay to host your own, but why pay to host a capture the flag server that's just you?

Apr 16, 2020, 09:39
Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 16, 2020, 09:39
Apr 16, 2020, 09:39

Beamer wrote on Apr 15, 2020, 08:33:

(Bear poke)

You have no right to complain when they drip you packets from the cloud and you can no longer access your games or mod them because you allowed Microsoft, valve and company to literally take over your computer with criminally coded software removing your control of your PC.

Enjoy your always online windows 10 buddy, see you in 20 years when you can't even access or mod games anymore. Since they will all be fully drm'd like they got on mobile.

Apr 15, 2020, 08:33
Beamer

Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 15, 2020, 08:33
Apr 15, 2020, 08:33
 Beamer

Slush54 wrote on Apr 15, 2020, 04:23:
Verno wrote on Apr 9, 2020, 10:51:
Slush54 wrote on Apr 9, 2020, 07:18:
[Deleted post]

You have yet to articulate any sort of argument to support your grandiose claims. Steam has been around for 15 years and it did not end software ownership

You're clueless if you don't believe that, all those "Single player rpg's" were rebranded mmo's, Elite dangerous has permanent online drm, aka it dies with David braben. Quake champions is a locked down f2p game.

You don't seem to get that mmo's, f2p games, always online drm in diablo 3, TF2 going f2p with a hat economy, Gabe making a microtransaction infested game, means you're oblivious.

The evidence is overwhelming. Where are the dedicated servers, programming sdk's for quake? Or what about level editing in doom eternal?

I thought this was supposed to be "modern gaming", aka gaming was supposed to have things like dedicated servers, level editors, free skins, mods, maps like we had in the 90's until roughly 2005.

Go check out the wayback machine for planetquake. You're going to tell me with a straight face, doom and quake, the games that brought modding into being, there modern versions are severely gimped versions of their originals?

(Bear poke)

Apr 15, 2020, 04:23
Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 15, 2020, 04:23
Apr 15, 2020, 04:23

[Deleted post]

You have yet to articulate any sort of argument to support your grandiose claims. Steam has been around for 15 years and it did not end software ownership

You're clueless if you don't believe that, all those "Single player rpg's" were rebranded mmo's, Elite dangerous has permanent online drm, aka it dies with David braben. Quake champions is a locked down f2p game.

You don't seem to get that mmo's, f2p games, always online drm in diablo 3, TF2 going f2p with a hat economy, Gabe making a microtransaction infested game, means you're oblivious.

The evidence is overwhelming. Where are the dedicated servers, programming sdk's for quake? Or what about level editing in doom eternal?

I thought this was supposed to be "modern gaming", aka gaming was supposed to have things like dedicated servers, level editors, free skins, mods, maps like we had in the 90's until roughly 2005.

Go check out the wayback machine for planetquake. You're going to tell me with a straight face, doom and quake, the games that brought modding into being, there modern versions are severely gimped versions of their originals?

This comment was edited on Apr 15, 2020, 04:34.

Apr 12, 2020, 22:23
Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 12, 2020, 22:23
Apr 12, 2020, 22:23

Verno wrote on Apr 12, 2020, 22:11:
If Windows problems were anywhere near as severe as some of the clickbait nonsense that gets submitted by the usual suspects here (watch the submission credits for negative Windows articles going forward), no one would use it.
Well.. yes and no. I might agree the sky isn't falling, but there certainly have been some big SNAFUs with their last couple of semi-annual releases. However, their near monopolistic hold on the market means they can fuck up A LOT and it won't change things much. Linux is great, but it isn't really for gamers or for non techies (unless they get lots of help). And even if you put all that aside, the extended telemetry stuff deserves our continued scorn...
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Apr 12, 2020, 22:11
Verno

Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 12, 2020, 22:11
Apr 12, 2020, 22:11
 Verno

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 9, 2020, 20:33:
Just curious -- those speaking against Tech Radar, do you think they are simply incompetent or do you think they are maliciously attacking Microsoft?

(I'm not familiar enough with them to have an opinion)

Clickbait sells, a lot of websites do it these days. And editorial standards on tech reporting have been falling for awhile now in lock step with ad revenue. Many fantastic sites are now pale imitations of their old selves (RIP techreport).

If Windows problems were anywhere near as severe as some of the clickbait nonsense that gets submitted by the usual suspects here (watch the submission credits for negative Windows articles going forward), no one would use it.

Playing: FF7R
Watching: The Last Dance

Apr 9, 2020, 23:09
Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 9, 2020, 23:09
Apr 9, 2020, 23:09

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 9, 2020, 20:55:
Just curious -- those speaking against Tech Radar, do you think they are simply incompetent or do you think they are maliciously attacking Microsoft?

It’s a case of “My computer didn’t crash/ brick/slow down” so we should shoot the messenger.
https://www.computerworld.com/author/Woody-Leonhard/ Does a decent job of keeping up with Windows.
Yeah, I have Woody bookmarked. Tech Radar is a site I've known about for a while. I'm sure I've probably read articles there before, but they have never really caught my attention. Are they "bad" most of the time?
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Apr 9, 2020, 20:55
Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 9, 2020, 20:55
Apr 9, 2020, 20:55

It’s a case of “My computer didn’t crash/ brick/slow down” so we should shoot the messenger.
https://www.computerworld.com/author/Woody-Leonhard/ Does a decent job of keeping up with Windows.
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”
Pandemics don’t end because the economy is suffering and we want them to.

Apr 9, 2020, 20:33
Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 9, 2020, 20:33
Apr 9, 2020, 20:33

Apr 9, 2020, 15:42
Verno

Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 9, 2020, 15:42
Apr 9, 2020, 15:42
 Verno

I think that's all we can do as consumers - speak with your wallet. I still buy console games on disc and buy a lot of singleplayer games in general so that people keep making them. Multiplayer games tend to be huge time sinks so I try to limit how many of them I have on the go anyway.

Apr 9, 2020, 14:25
Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 9, 2020, 14:25
Apr 9, 2020, 14:25

[Deleted post]

Your insults don't bother me in the least so don't bother wasting time typing them. You have yet to articulate any sort of argument to support your grandiose claims. Steam has been around for 15 years and it did not end software ownership, not that you had any software ownership to begin with. Have you ever actually read an EULA? You don't own software, you own a license to use it. This has been the case since you were still buying discs in big boxes at the store.

You just keep hopping around from subject to subject, acting hysterical about them all. Your games are not disappearing, the sky is not falling and you're going to be OK there little fella. UWP is a large scale failure and Microsoft is backing off on its store in favor of supporting other platforms. Loot boxes are an industry experiment that is now falling out of favor with many gamers and have faced increased scrutiny from regulators and despite under pinning online functionality into games, single player games are still alive and well. And frankly the latter was naturally going to happen anyway as the internet has become ubiquitous.

But hey feel free to sit this all out and stop buying stuff, your loss.
I'm just curious what actual action, if any, can be taken. The best I can come up with is just to lobby devs for SP standalone games, like Mechwarrior 5, and then buy them when they come out.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

Apr 9, 2020, 10:51
Verno

Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 9, 2020, 10:51
Apr 9, 2020, 10:51
 Verno

[Deleted post]

Your insults don't bother me in the least so don't bother wasting time typing them. You have yet to articulate any sort of argument to support your grandiose claims. Steam has been around for 15 years and it did not end software ownership, not that you had any software ownership to begin with. Have you ever actually read an EULA? You don't own software, you own a license to use it. This has been the case since you were still buying discs in big boxes at the store.

You just keep hopping around from subject to subject, acting hysterical about them all. Your games are not disappearing, the sky is not falling and you're going to be OK there little fella. UWP is a large scale failure and Microsoft is backing off on its store in favor of supporting other platforms. Loot boxes are an industry experiment that is now falling out of favor with many gamers and have faced increased scrutiny from regulators and despite under pinning online functionality into games, single player games are still alive and well. And frankly the latter was naturally going to happen anyway as the internet has become ubiquitous.

But hey feel free to sit this all out and stop buying stuff, your loss.

This comment was edited on Apr 9, 2020, 11:33.

removed
Apr 9, 2020, 07:18
removed Apr 9, 2020, 07:18
Apr 9, 2020, 07:18

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Apr 9, 2020, 11:31.

Apr 8, 2020, 18:08
Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 8, 2020, 18:08
Apr 8, 2020, 18:08

Jivaro wrote on Apr 8, 2020, 17:22:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 8, 2020, 14:32:
Jivaro wrote on Apr 8, 2020, 02:31:
which makes it even weirder IMO but whatever. You got banned but you want to be here so you keep doing the shit that got you banned? For what reason? World Peace? The cure for cancer? We may never know.
Not that it matters but slush was Ace33 was Suppa7.

I don't remember Ace33 but I remember Suppa7. That rules out World Peace.
Ace signed on after suppa was banned, his new account didn’t even make it one week before it was axed.
My great grand pappy ranted about the evils of the automobile and his before him ranted about the evils of riding horses. If you go back in my genetic line someone is extolling the virtues of gills over lungs.
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”

Apr 8, 2020, 17:22
Jivaro

Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 8, 2020, 17:22
Apr 8, 2020, 17:22
 Jivaro

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 8, 2020, 14:32:
which makes it even weirder IMO but whatever. You got banned but you want to be here so you keep doing the shit that got you banned? For what reason? World Peace? The cure for cancer? We may never know.

I don't remember Ace33 but I remember Suppa7. That rules out World Peace.

Apr 8, 2020, 14:32
Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 8, 2020, 14:32
Apr 8, 2020, 14:32

Apr 8, 2020, 13:45
Verno

Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 8, 2020, 13:45
Apr 8, 2020, 13:45
 Verno

Slush54 wrote on Apr 7, 2020, 23:05:
The same things were said about mmo's, drm and steam when they first started, young padawan. Not only did the dark prophecies of the nerds come true (diablo 3 can now be disappeared from history at the flick of a switch). Major games have now gone "f2p" that would have been fully owned with dedicated servers in the past, like desitny, overwatch or modern battlefields.

You seem to be clueless, they've won, all activisions games are fully always online - aka client server, aka you no longer control the game files or whether your game will continue to function. Tim sweeney is dancing on the "death" of the retail model (aka games you own and control).

The entire silicon valley industry wouldn't be having a party if they didn't believe they had won.

https://tifca.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/ClienttoCloud_Vision_V2.pdf

Tim sweeney:

“I think the game business will change more in the next five years than the past ten,” predicts MCV’s Person of the Year. “The last remnants of the old retail model of gaming are falling apart, and the biggest successes are fast-moving indies and fast-moving big competitors – exemplified by Fortnite and Apex Legends. All of the old decisions need to be revisited.”

That "the games industry is going to change more" is that more games will "become services" aka you'll no longer control the game. Which is how we ended up with quake champions, and not the "real quake" sequel we all wanted with modding, level editing, dedicated servers and programming sdk's.

Every piece of software where you are required to login, they've been slowly killing off local applications by making them all client server.

We've seen this across the entire space of PC applications, not just games, you should go check out daemons tools, geforce experience for modern geforce cards if you got an nvidia card.

That "login required" in order to use the software you paid for is going to get worse, they are trying to kill local apps where you don't get the complete files as "anti piracy" measure. But it also means they will eventually make preserving old software impossible. We've seen that with many UWP cracked games that only work on certain versions of windows.

Nor have you seen irdeto's plans for the future.

https://www.irdeto.com

Or ea's statement on "cloud gaming" aka fuck your ownership of the game.

https://www.ea.com/news/cloud-gaming-trial

I'm not sure what any of this nonsense has to do with your original post or my response to it. Whether the industry model of ownership changes, UWP is largely a failure and it isn't going to be responsible for it.

All of the nonsense with Steam supposedly killing PC gamers rights and etc has all been a lot of bunk. We're 16 years later now and everything is fine. I'm still using a desktop, I'm still able to play my old games and the sky is not falling.

Apr 8, 2020, 02:31
Jivaro

Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 8, 2020, 02:31
Apr 8, 2020, 02:31
 Jivaro

Apr 8, 2020, 02:15
Re: Morning Safety Dance Apr 8, 2020, 02:15
Apr 8, 2020, 02:15

Jivaro wrote on Apr 8, 2020, 02:04:
Slush54, I am not quoting that but...

I am just gonna say that you clearly don't know 2 things.

1) Who you were replying to or 2) who reads these comments

If you did you wouldn't write that wall of cringe with the idea that somehow you are this old vet taking the time to tell all us youngsters how it was, is, and should be. Like somehow the majority of the people here weren't around the last 20+ years of gaming. This isn't fucking IGN. If you are going to be a crotchety old man screaming get off my lawn into the Internet air, and I get that..I do that sometimes too...at least post something worth reading. Your login says one year and 35 posts so I am not sure what your excuse is. I feel like you should know the room by now. Your post history shows a huge hard-on for blaming the gamers for all the problems in the industry and talking to the rest of us here as if we personally put the stamp of approval on that shit when in reality there aren't many here who were on board with online-only gaming anymore then you are. You would know that if you bothered to ask or discuss or something instead of just preaching hate/trash. We get it, you hate it. This constant attitude at the rest of us Blues folks though is just weird. I mean, re-read your post as if someone wrote it to you. Wouldn't you want to smack the shit right out of them?

Have some respect man. I don't normally do this, it ain't my site so maybe Blue with delete this, but your post history is just one negative thing after another rudely stated to whomever you decide to spray your attitude with. Sure folks could block you, and probably have, but is that why you come here...to be blocked?

Slushie's been around a while. He's been banned several times which is why his current account is relatively new. He's been harping on this for several years now.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov
40 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older