23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Apr 5, 2020, 14:32
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2020, 14:32
Apr 5, 2020, 14:32

Ah, okay. Thanks.

Forgot to consider he had stopped playing, but even if I had I didn't know what the waiting period was and if he had been out long enough.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Apr 5, 2020, 14:21
Beamer

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2020, 14:21
Apr 5, 2020, 14:21
 Beamer

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 5, 2020, 13:13:
Is it standard for the waiting period to be elected to the HOF to be waived in the case of death, or did they make an exception for Kobe? Not that he doesn't deserve it, I was just curious if they actually had an exception written into the rules.

Waiting period is only 3 seasons, so Kobe was getting in this round, regardless.

Apr 5, 2020, 13:13
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2020, 13:13
Apr 5, 2020, 13:13

Is it standard for the waiting period to be elected to the HOF to be waived in the case of death, or did they make an exception for Kobe? Not that he doesn't deserve it, I was just curious if they actually had an exception written into the rules.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Apr 5, 2020, 12:24
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2020, 12:24
Apr 5, 2020, 12:24

Alamar wrote on Apr 5, 2020, 11:57:
Tim Duncan was not only an amazing player, he was an amazing (good) sportsman... Really had a lot of respect for that man, so am glad to see his name called out of something like this.

Here, here

Apr 5, 2020, 11:57
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2020, 11:57
Apr 5, 2020, 11:57

I've never been into watching sports, but when I lived in San Antonio for a few years, ended up watching some Basketball with some peeps... Tim Duncan was not only an amazing player, he was an amazing (good) sportsman... Really had a lot of respect for that man, so am glad to see his name called out of something like this.

Apr 5, 2020, 09:02
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2020, 09:02
Apr 5, 2020, 09:02

jdreyer wrote on Apr 5, 2020, 05:15:
Opinion - Stop Using Toilet Paper.

I mean, God gave you two hands for a reason...

Beer and pretzels?
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Apr 5, 2020, 05:15
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2020, 05:15
Apr 5, 2020, 05:15

I mean, God gave you two hands for a reason...
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

Apr 5, 2020, 02:59
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2020, 02:59
Apr 5, 2020, 02:59

Kxmode wrote on Apr 5, 2020, 02:54:
"Hard times create strong men.
Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men.
And, weak men create hard times."

"Those Who Remain," by G. Michael Hopf

"Good times, bad times,
You know I had my share;
When my woman left home
With a brown eyed man,
Well, I still don't seem to care."

"Good Times, Bad Times," by Robert Anthony Plant CBE
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

Apr 5, 2020, 02:54
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 5, 2020, 02:54
Apr 5, 2020, 02:54
 Kxmode

deleted

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 2020, 02:44.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Apr 4, 2020, 19:29
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2020, 19:29
Apr 4, 2020, 19:29
 Cutter

Remember, N95s made of layered strands which act like a web. Multiple layers of cloth or paper would have a similar effect. Not something you'd want to use in a hospital but for day to day stuff for the average Joe they should work just fine.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Re: ‘We can’t go back to normal’- how will coronavirus change the world?
Apr 4, 2020, 19:24
Cutter

Re: ‘We can’t go back to normal’- how will coronavirus change the world? Apr 4, 2020, 19:24
Apr 4, 2020, 19:24
 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Apr 4, 2020, 17:28:
Simon Says wrote on Apr 4, 2020, 15:47:
“Only a crisis - actual or perceived - produces real change. When that crisis occurs, the actions that are taken depend on the ideas that are lying around. That, I believe, is our basic function: to develop alternatives to existing policies, to keep them alive and available until the politically impossible becomes the politically inevitable.”

-Milton Friedman

And so far, more often than not, those policies that are lying around and that get inside the system during Shock Doctrine times are of the school of Friedman ( Chicago boys / Austrian school voodoo economics ). That's been the case for decades and the more disaster capitalism measures get implemented, the worse it gets. Naomi Klein is 100% correct on this.

I'm wondering when we'll finally turn this around. Only crazy people do the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

Sometimes the shock doctrine produces good results. The Great Depression resulted in our modern safety net for example.

I've been thinking about that. Remember Trump promised do put a trillion bucks into American infrastructure. Now, he may actually do that. And that may just hand the GOP the election. Then you're really F'd in the A after that.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Apr 4, 2020, 18:24
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2020, 18:24
Apr 4, 2020, 18:24

jdreyer wrote on Apr 4, 2020, 17:35:
theglaze wrote on Apr 4, 2020, 16:32:
CDC shows you how to make a simple coronavirus face mask in 45 seconds.

I think it's just the American government trying to calm the public with a "solution" that doesn't really work. Sure it may block spittle from being ejected, but the air exhaled by someone infected is full of COVID-19 virus. The virus is so small it will easily evade the fabric knitting... like rain coming through a screen door.

Were the virus itself aerosolized, you would be correct. However, from what I've read, the virus is only being transmitted via water droplets from sneezes and coughs. A cloth mask can catch most of these before you breath them in. Reducing the viral load you uptake reduces your chances of getting severe symptoms.

You're right, the current belief is that the active virus cannot be transmitted through bio aerosols in normal situations, and that has been proven 'questionable' through contrived lab tests and unique situations with medical equipment in hospitals.

But what about a normal situation? If there were an infected person in my apartment building, and they reached the point of needing hospitalization to save his/her life, they would need to get their own ass there or call for an ambulance. Either way, they'll need to use the building's elevator.

That stale, elevator air. This person coughing through an old t-shirt, now slick with mucus and spit. The confined space energized with invisible virus. And 30 seconds later they are out of the elevator and on their way....and someone else steps into that elevator, with mask made from a dishcloth.

Sure it's better than nothing, I'm just saying, don't think it'll save your ass.

Apr 4, 2020, 17:35
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2020, 17:35
Apr 4, 2020, 17:35

theglaze wrote on Apr 4, 2020, 16:32:

I think it's just the American government trying to calm the public with a "solution" that doesn't really work. Sure it may block spittle from being ejected, but the air exhaled by someone infected is full of COVID-19 virus. The virus is so small it will easily evade the fabric knitting... like rain coming through a screen door.

Were the virus itself aerosolized, you would be correct. However, from what I've read, the virus is only being transmitted via water droplets from sneezes and coughs. A cloth mask can catch most of these before you breath them in. Reducing the viral load you uptake reduces your chances of getting severe symptoms.

Apr 4, 2020, 17:28
Re: ‘We can’t go back to normal’- how will coronavirus change the world? Apr 4, 2020, 17:28
Apr 4, 2020, 17:28

“Only a crisis - actual or perceived - produces real change. When that crisis occurs, the actions that are taken depend on the ideas that are lying around. That, I believe, is our basic function: to develop alternatives to existing policies, to keep them alive and available until the politically impossible becomes the politically inevitable.”

-Milton Friedman

And so far, more often than not, those policies that are lying around and that get inside the system during Shock Doctrine times are of the school of Friedman ( Chicago boys / Austrian school voodoo economics ). That's been the case for decades and the more disaster capitalism measures get implemented, the worse it gets. Naomi Klein is 100% correct on this.

I'm wondering when we'll finally turn this around. Only crazy people do the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

Sometimes the shock doctrine produces good results. The Great Depression resulted in our modern safety net for example.

Apr 4, 2020, 16:55
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2020, 16:55
Apr 4, 2020, 16:55
 Cutter

Why not make a mask out of a paper towel(s) in that case?

You can have my TP when you pry it from my stinky dead fingers or something. Using a bidet just seems like way too much effort.

Nice navy there Venezuela.

Times of upheaval are always times of radical change. Some believe the pandemic is a once-in-a-generation chance to remake society and build a better future. Others fear it may only make existing injustices worse.

I know which way I'd be placing my bet.

Apr 4, 2020, 16:42
Cutter

Re: ‘We can’t go back to normal’- how will coronavirus change the world? Apr 4, 2020, 16:42
Apr 4, 2020, 16:42
 Cutter

-Milton Friedman

And so far, more often than not, those policies that are lying around and that get inside the system during Shock Doctrine times are of the school of Friedman ( Chicago boys / Austrian school voodoo economics ). That's been the case for decades and the more disaster capitalism measures work, the worse it gets. Naomi Klein is 100% correct on this.

If this doesn't show why they need Sanders and not Biden then America is beyond hope.

“Oh, how lovely – is this to wash the babies in?”
Apr 4, 2020, 16:39
“Oh, how lovely – is this to wash the babies in?” Apr 4, 2020, 16:39
Apr 4, 2020, 16:39

“No, Madame – this is to wash the babies out!”
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”
Pandemics don’t end because the economy is suffering and we want them to.

Apr 4, 2020, 16:34
Jivaro

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2020, 16:34
Apr 4, 2020, 16:34
 Jivaro

Yeah, chances are whatever your idea of normal was before this....it will be a different normal after this. If for no other reason than a great deal of money is going to be invested in working around this. My school is a good example. Before all of this we were either in an online program or campus program. Now we are all in the online program and if we have lab courses they will be scheduled in small groups with time windows to appear at the lab on campus when the quarantine/isolation part of this is over. As everyone here knows the tech requirements for that shift don't happen by flipping some switches obviously, you just have to upgrade the system to handle the increased load. Also, my school is owned by the KP Foundation so using Zoom instead of something more secure and KP controlled is not going to last long, and that will cost money. Many of these investments were coming in the future anyway, so why go back to "normal". If anything, I see Covid-19 as putting digital capabilities on the fastrack with corporations less concerned with the initial cost right now since everyday they are closed or hindered is likely much more expensive. Some of us that might have been already wondering "Why can't I do this work/school from home in this day and age?" are now doing it from home and well....why go back?

Apr 4, 2020, 16:32
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2020, 16:32
Apr 4, 2020, 16:32

Apr 4, 2020, 16:14
Re: ‘We can’t go back to normal’- how will coronavirus change the world? Apr 4, 2020, 16:14
Apr 4, 2020, 16:14

So what is "normal"?
What was normal after the Great Depression? Or the World Wars? I'm not a huge history person, but hasn't the USA had at least 1 or 2 period of where everything was shaken to it's core?

There is a scene in The Matrix where Agent Smith categorizes humans as a virus. And how many times in the last 40 years has the planet come up with a way to get rid of said virus?

Just some food for thoughts.
Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older