Out of the Blue

We arrived in our new more rural home last year around the start of summer. This allowed us to fully enjoy the serenity of the nearby pond, as a family of swans and a large raft of ducks spent their time serenely paddling the days away. There were geese here when we first arrived, but they were rounded up and "relocated" (hmmm) shortly after that, and only a handful returned. That has made this spring a revelatory experience. The baby swan left a couple of months ago, and the pair of them has been completely missing for weeks now, so I assume the next time we see them they will have a new youngster in tow. The ducks are quite scattered as they quietly pursue their mating rituals. But the geese, who have returned in force, are being complete maniacs. They are clearly in the throes of mating as well, but this is a violent noisy affair. They spend a lot of time chasing each other across the pond, and it's hard to tell when this is to woo members of the opposite sex and when it's to intimidate rivals (unlike the ducks, it's hard to distinguish gender for the geese). And when they aren't chasing they are honking. And sometimes they are honking when they are chasing too. And this is not confined to daylight hours, they sometimes make noise well into the wee hours of the morning. MrsBlue and I don't actually mind this at all, as it's not that disturbing, and it's pleasant to be surrounded by actual nature. But I imagine some of our neighbors feel differently about it, and to be fair the novelty might wear off for us after a few years too. But so far it's been interesting to watch (and hear) their antics. Honk if you're horny!!

Untitled Goose Links
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Link

Science

Media

Follow-up

The Funnies

View : : :
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Apr 4, 2020, 13:17
Beamer

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2020, 13:17
Apr 4, 2020, 13:17
 Beamer

Blue wrote on Apr 4, 2020, 02:10:
Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2020, 23:38:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 3, 2020, 21:18:
Cutter wrote on Apr 3, 2020, 15:53:
Well seeing as Standford is saying 65C-75C for 30 mins should kill the virus perhaps everyone should be hitting a sauna or steambath for a good schvitz.

Not sure if serious...
Putting a human in a 65 degree steam bath for 30m would certainly kill the coronavirus, and the human along with it. Steam baths tend to max out at 45 degrees.

Yeah, advice like this seems to always misunderstand that the virus lives in you, not on you. In order to kill it in you, you'd need to raise your internal temperature that high. You'd cook yourself. But this advice keeps getting out there from the poorly informed with agendas.

Maybe Cutter is planning on running for office in Florida?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-county-commissioner-meeting-blow-dryer-up-nose-kills-coronavirus

The best part is that the hairdryer and sauna information came from the same guy. Not "Standford," whomever he is, but Dan Lee Dimke, whose Amazon presence speaks for himself. No background in science, at all. Here's his self-written bio:

Dan Lee Dimke is the author of more than 100 books and audiocassette programs on education, business, accelerated learning and personal mastery. In 1984, he published one of the first effective treatments for the Common Cold, following medical literature research the previous year in which he personally read every medical journal article printed in the last 25 years on colds in humans, at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Research Library in Dallas. His drug-free ColdArrest(tm) Procedure is now in use in over 40 countries. Dimke's life illustrates some of the possibilities of unleashed human potential. He became one of the world's youngest lecturing astronomers, at a 6-telescope observatory, at the age of 10, one of the world's youngest hypnotists at the age of 11, and the church organist at the age of 12. At 14, he started his publishing career. He was able to work his way through a private college by teaching his own system of accelerated learnin! ! g techniques to fellow students. He was invited to begin teaching in colleges in Washington State as a paid faculty member on four different campuses at the age of 17. At 20 he developed one of the first rapid reading systems for Oriental Languages during his work in the Far East. Dimke speaks and reads five human languages, four computer languages and slices through information at up to 25,000 words per minute. Dr. Dimke holds a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of the State of New York, a Master's Degree in Business Administration, and a Ph.D. in Education from Southwest University with specializations in learning enhancement and psycho-linguistics.

Meanwhile, in 1984, he put out an audio cassette titled Conquering the Common Cold, which pushed the hair dryer method. It has 1 review on Amazon, haha, and that review is from last week. Yet, somehow, this method has been hawked by politicians desperate to ensure Trump's "this is not a big deal" line was carried through (he's since changed his opinion), and by Cutter.

Apr 4, 2020, 12:57
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2020, 12:57
Apr 4, 2020, 12:57

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/24185088/
Hot box that vd ftw.
It worked on The Knick.
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”
Pandemics don’t end because the economy is suffering and we want them to.

Apr 4, 2020, 11:38
Beamer

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2020, 11:38
Apr 4, 2020, 11:38
 Beamer

Cutter wrote on Apr 4, 2020, 10:27:
I guess you people have never heard of saunas, dry or infrared. 65C-75C is common.

You're not wrong, though you did say steam bath, not just dry sauna. Jdreyer was right in that steam baths don't get nearly that high.

But you are wrong about it protecting you from the virus. You can only spend a fraction of an hour at 75C, so you can't live in one to defeat the virus. And once it's in your system, you'd need to raise your entire body to that temperature, which would cook you.

Which is why it's miserable advice from someone that cares more about diminishing the threat than thinking anything through.

Apr 4, 2020, 10:27
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2020, 10:27
Apr 4, 2020, 10:27
 Cutter

I guess you people have never heard of saunas, dry or infrared. 65C-75C is common.

"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Apr 4, 2020, 02:10
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2020, 02:10
Apr 4, 2020, 02:10

Beamer wrote on Apr 3, 2020, 23:38:
Well seeing as Standford is saying 65C-75C for 30 mins should kill the virus perhaps everyone should be hitting a sauna or steambath for a good schvitz.

Not sure if serious...
Putting a human in a 65 degree steam bath for 30m would certainly kill the coronavirus, and the human along with it. Steam baths tend to max out at 45 degrees.

Yeah, advice like this seems to always misunderstand that the virus lives in you, not on you. In order to kill it in you, you'd need to raise your internal temperature that high. You'd cook yourself. But this advice keeps getting out there from the poorly informed with agendas.

Maybe Cutter is planning on running for office in Florida?

https://www.foxnews.com/us/florida-county-commissioner-meeting-blow-dryer-up-nose-kills-coronavirus
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Apr 3, 2020, 23:38
Beamer

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2020, 23:38
Apr 3, 2020, 23:38
 Beamer

Not sure if serious...

Raptors!
Apr 3, 2020, 22:00
Raptors! Apr 3, 2020, 22:00
Apr 3, 2020, 22:00

Heya,

When I first moved to Florida I was woken up during the middle of the night with the loudest noise ever. Definitely Raptors! Anyways after a bit I found out it was migrating Sandhill Cranes. These things echoed across the entire neighborhood around midnight. Yikes!

(video is a bit down in this post)
https://www.anamarinc.com/blog-frontpage/entry/getting-to-know-florida-s-sandhill-cranes

Enjoy,
Aule

Apr 3, 2020, 21:59
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2020, 21:59
Apr 3, 2020, 21:59

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 3, 2020, 21:24:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 3, 2020, 20:54:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 3, 2020, 12:01:
Not tossing around Qanon flat earther bullshit or colloidal silver "god" cures.

The research scientist in the Netflix series Pandemic may have come up with an antibody therapy for Covid19. It would work by rendering the corona-virus impotent.
It would go to work immediately unlike a vaccine that takes weeks for the body to develop immunity. This is NOT a vaccine and would only last for ~8 weeks.
side note
In the series he spoke of an all in one flu vaccine (it would require 7 shots over time, but states that no one would would want to do 7 shots).
Dude thinks out of box and does not sound like a quack.
Doctor in Netflix’s ‘Pandemic’ says he discovered potential coronavirus cure

A Netflix series predicted a global pandemic. It was dismissed as ‘a show about the flu’

I watched that doc too. Seven shots to be immune from the flu? Sign me up!

The HPV vaccine is three, and I got it for both my kids.
Your mention of the series is what turned me on to it.
Ah, glad you liked it. Good stuff. Better than Contagion, which I watched last night.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

Apr 3, 2020, 21:24
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2020, 21:24
Apr 3, 2020, 21:24

jdreyer wrote on Apr 3, 2020, 20:54:

The research scientist in the Netflix series Pandemic may have come up with an antibody therapy for Covid19. It would work by rendering the corona-virus impotent.
It would go to work immediately unlike a vaccine that takes weeks for the body to develop immunity. This is NOT a vaccine and would only last for ~8 weeks.
side note
In the series he spoke of an all in one flu vaccine (it would require 7 shots over time, but states that no one would would want to do 7 shots).

A Netflix series predicted a global pandemic. It was dismissed as ‘a show about the flu’

Your mention of the series is what turned me on to it.
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”

Apr 3, 2020, 21:18
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2020, 21:18
Apr 3, 2020, 21:18

Not sure if serious...
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

Apr 3, 2020, 20:54
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2020, 20:54
Apr 3, 2020, 20:54

side note

Apr 3, 2020, 19:48
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2020, 19:48
Apr 3, 2020, 19:48

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 3, 2020, 15:04:
You are welcome. Just keeping your post sane is all. People who only read your link text, and not the link actual, may come to an entirely wrong conclusion.

The reason I am a bit snippish at this news in particular is that you forgot one huge absolutely mind-boggingly obvious issue with that "therapy" and that is.. you do not know who the 20% that show symptoms are until they show symptoms which is 3-4 days after infection. Giving them even more anti-bodies might not cure them at all given lung inflammation is already an (way too strong) anti-body response no? Other and even more anti-bodies might make it even worse.

Let's just hope we got a vaccine or an actual medication against the virus specifically soon.. and not in 18 months or more...

There are different kinds of anti-bodies. The ones causing inflammation are the "local first responders". Perhaps the "non-local non-first responders" in the blood wouldn't cause as much inflammation if at all?

If it helped with SARS-1, maybe it's worth a try and see if it helps with SARS-2 too.

Apr 3, 2020, 15:53
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2020, 15:53
Apr 3, 2020, 15:53
 Cutter

"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Apr 3, 2020, 15:04
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2020, 15:04
Apr 3, 2020, 15:04

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 3, 2020, 14:39:
eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 3, 2020, 14:30:

Then you should not have posted that financially motivated nonsense. Because A) It's not a cure and B) it's not a vaccine.
I'm not sure if you don't understand English or no savvy the common vernacular. See the following:

may have come up with an antibody therapy

This is NOT a vaccine and would only last for ~8 weeks.

But thanks for linking his bonafides, i guess

You are welcome. Just keeping your post sane is all. People who only read your link text, and not the link actual, may come to an entirely wrong conclusion.

The reason I am a bit snippish at this news in particular is that you forgot one huge absolutely mind-boggingly obvious issue with that "therapy" and that is.. you do not know who the 20% that show symptoms are until they show symptoms which is 3-4 days after infection. Giving them even more anti-bodies might not cure them at all given lung inflammation is already an (way too strong) anti-body response no? Other and even more anti-bodies might make it even worse.

Let's just hope we got a vaccine or an actual medication against the virus specifically soon.. and not in 18 months or more...

Apr 3, 2020, 14:39
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2020, 14:39
Apr 3, 2020, 14:39

eRe4s3r wrote on Apr 3, 2020, 14:30:

Then you should not have posted that financially motivated nonsense. Because A) It's not a cure and B) it's not a vaccine.
I'm not sure if you don't understand English or no savvy the common vernacular. See the following:

may have come up with an antibody therapy

This is NOT a vaccine and would only last for ~8 weeks.

But thanks for linking his bonafides, i guess.
Jacob Glanville is an entrepreneur, inventor and computational immuno-engineer. He developed the core business model, the research teams, and the technologies that enabled Distributed Bio to become profitable without investment. He has developed multiple seminal methods in the fields of high-throughput antibody repertoire sequencing (PNAS 2009), repertoire decoding algorithms (Nature 2017), single-cell TCR receptor & phenotype sequencing (Nature Biotech, 2014), deconstructing genetic variation in the adaptive immune system (Nature Communications 2015, Nature Reports 2016, PNAS 2011, TI 2017), and computationally guided antibody library engineering (JMB 2011, JMB 2013, COSB 2015) that have enabled Distributed Bio to deliver therapeutic lead antibodies to over 50 programs across the pharmaceutical industry. He is the inventor of the Centivax universal vaccine technology for influenza, HIV, and other rapidly mutating pathogens.

He is a Stanford University Scientific Advisory Committee member for the Sean Parker Center for Allergy and Asthma Research, a Scientific Advisory Board member for the University of San Francisco's Biotechnology program, a repeat Gates Foundation/Stanford University Computational and Systems Immunology Grant Recipient while a PhD Candidate with Mark Davis at Stanford, a National Institute of Health Principal Investigator with an SBIR award for our universal antivenom program, a Gates Foundation Grand Challenge awardee for the Centivax universal vaccine program, a Recipient of Pfizer Achievement award 2010 while Principal Scientist at Pfizer, and has been a course-founding instructor and guest lecturer for multiple graduate-level applied computational and systems immunology courses at Stanford and USF.

As Co-Founder, CEO and President of Distributed Bio, he and his teams apply computationally-guided immunoengineering methods to enable a new generation of monoclonal antibody discovery and universal vaccine design. In addition to counting over 50 pharmaceutical companies and biotechnology startups as his Distributed Bio clients, he enjoys collaborating with multiple partners to generate exciting new technologies in biomedicine.

Apr 3, 2020, 14:33
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2020, 14:33
Apr 3, 2020, 14:33

‘The holiday of a lifetime’: An oral history of the infected, rejected Zaandam cruise ship
takeaway
Don't get on a cruise ship if the WHO is on the verge of declaring a Pandemic.
I don't care if you spent your last $15,000 dollars and it's non-refundable.

Apr 3, 2020, 14:30
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2020, 14:30
Apr 3, 2020, 14:30

Apr 3, 2020, 14:06
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2020, 14:06
Apr 3, 2020, 14:06

One of my customers is a societal cartoonist.
Way to go Tom!

Apr 3, 2020, 12:41
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2020, 12:41
Apr 3, 2020, 12:41
 Cutter

Yeah, I have a bunch of Blue Jays that hang out and nest nearby. They are clever little bastards who see everything. Came in today and my most regular - and noisy guy - swoops in and starts cawing at me for food. Head out back to put some sunflower seed out for the critters and he lands on the rail of the deck and starts cawing at me until I throw him a peanut. Takes it, is back a minute later, cawing away again. Even when I toss peanuts to the chippers and squirrels sometimes the little bastards swoop right in and snag them. Best is when they catch them in mid-air. Heh.

I need some kind of video recorder and start getting this on film. I wouldn't mind a Go-Pro type deal but a cheaper one. Don't really know anything about camcorders so would something like this be any good?

Apr 3, 2020, 12:10
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2020, 12:10
Apr 3, 2020, 12:10

If there was a consensus by medical professionals that a series of seven vaccinations over a period of time would prevent me ever getting the flu and it was actually affordable -- I would definitely do that. And this is from someone who only got annual flu shots when I was in the military and as far as I know has only contracted flu once in his life.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older