Out of the Blue

As I commented last night about the death of Adam Schlesinger due to COVID-19, I am a big fan of Fountains of Wayne. I really enjoy a good pop-rock song with clever lyrics, which was the band's wheelhouse. So Adam's untimely passing is sad news in the midst of a time when there's too much sad news to go around. For a reason it will take me a long time to get around to, this reminds me I've been meaning to share a TV show recommendation. On a tip from a friend, MrsBlue and I checked out Crazy Ex-Girlfriend on Netflix, and quickly fell in love with it. This is despite the fact that it's not in my personal wheelhouse, as it combines two genres I normally have little or no interest in: romantic comedies and Broadway musicals. So, as I say, this would not usually be my thing by a very long shot. I'm guessing it would not usually many of yours either, but this show transcends my biases. It is quite clever, extremely well-executed, and more than a little edgy. We enjoyed every minute of it, and wondered why we hadn't heard of it before. Turns out this originally aired on the CW network, which explains everything. It was the lowest-rated show on TV for three of its four seasons, and the second-lowest for the other one. The Wikipedia says this makes it "one of the lowest-rated shows in television history to be renewed through four seasons by its parent network." So someone really believed in it. And with good cause: It's filled with self-awareness, endearing characters, and super-clever musical numbers, which can be partially attributed to the fact that Adam Schlesinger was its musical director (I finally got around to connecting the dots on this tangent). As I say, on the surface this is not something I or many of you would normally be drawn to. But it really is surprisingly great, and if you're looking for something to binge in this time of social distancing, I cannot recommend it more highly.

Obituary: Son: Jazz great Ellis Marsalis Jr. dead at 85; fought virus.

Crazy Ex-Links
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Stories

Science

Media

Follow-up

View : : :
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Apr 3, 2020, 08:33
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2020, 08:33
Apr 3, 2020, 08:33
 Verno

Caslon wrote on Apr 3, 2020, 00:06:
90% of streamed shows are crap. So, there's that. Some stick to it like those who make it a point not to miss their daily soap opera fix.

Ah yes, those silly streaming peasants. Return to the elegance and sophistication of network TV you heathen
Playing: FF7R
Watching: The Last Dance

Apr 3, 2020, 00:06
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2020, 00:06
Apr 3, 2020, 00:06

90% of streamed shows are crap. So, there's that. Some stick to it like those who make it a point not to miss their daily soap opera fix.

Apr 2, 2020, 21:46
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 21:46
Apr 2, 2020, 21:46

Crap
Episode 2 started with a decent hook.
What was that about TK being a slow burn.
dammit
,.,.,.,.,., , , , , , , , , ,

And "Devs" has been a lot of fun
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”
Pandemics don’t end because the economy is suffering and we want them to.

Apr 2, 2020, 21:43
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 21:43
Apr 2, 2020, 21:43

If you want a great musical TV show - Galavant is where it's at.

Apr 2, 2020, 19:19
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 19:19
Apr 2, 2020, 19:19
 Kxmode

deleted

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 2020, 02:45.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Apr 2, 2020, 17:58
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 17:58
Apr 2, 2020, 17:58
 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Apr 2, 2020, 16:42:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Apr 2, 2020, 13:46:
I have to agree with the sentiments others have expressed about Tiger King. It is a show about trash humans just being trash. I couldn't make it through the first episode nor do I really wish to push forward through it.

I couldn't make it through more than 3 eps of Breaking Bad for the same reason.

I never watch any of that sort of crap for the same reasons. I just can't get behind shows that glorify human scum. Poor cats.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Apr 2, 2020, 17:18
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 17:18
Apr 2, 2020, 17:18

Shenzhen becomes first Chinese city to ban eating cat and dogs.

What about sloths, pangolins, and fruit bats?
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

Apr 2, 2020, 16:42
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 16:42
Apr 2, 2020, 16:42

I have to agree with the sentiments others have expressed about Tiger King. It is a show about trash humans just being trash. I couldn't make it through the first episode nor do I really wish to push forward through it.

I couldn't make it through more than 3 eps of Breaking Bad for the same reason.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

Apr 2, 2020, 16:37
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 16:37
Apr 2, 2020, 16:37

Yes. I heard her on the show today.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Apr 2, 2020, 16:35
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 16:35
Apr 2, 2020, 16:35

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 2, 2020, 13:35:
NPR Fresh Air Covid19 podcast
Is Terry Gross still actively hosting? When I listened last year, there was someone different hosting.

Apr 2, 2020, 16:21
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 16:21
Apr 2, 2020, 16:21

It was the lowest-rated show on TV for three of its four seasons, and the second-lowest for the other one. The Wikipedia says this makes it "one of the lowest-rated shows in television history to be renewed through four seasons by its parent network."
Intelligent, clever, niche, and well-crafted TV is usually rates poorly. HBO (and Netflix, etc.) get around this by making these kinds of behind their paywall: just make that one show that appeals enough to get someone to shell out the $15/month: Barry, Silicon Valley, The Leftovers, etc.

Apr 2, 2020, 15:25
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 15:25
Apr 2, 2020, 15:25

Momentarily panic (okay, maybe not quite panic) when my Sony TV froze up. It had up a message about not seeing an external source and the only button which responded was the power on/off. But after a Google which wasn't particularly useful since I couldn't get into the settings, I thought to do a hard power reset (unplugged it), and that worked. Stay at home is one thing, stay at home without a working tv is quite another.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Apr 2, 2020, 15:23
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 15:23
Apr 2, 2020, 15:23

CXGF is excellent. There are some lulls in the amazingness, but it did a wonderful job.

Apr 2, 2020, 15:16
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 15:16
Apr 2, 2020, 15:16

Blue wrote on Apr 2, 2020, 14:10:
It was a true crime story with a look at a very dark slice of life.

I can see that any time I turn on the news, Dateline, 48 hours, or any other show of that kind.

I inferred nothing as I spoke only of the show itself and my reaction to watching it. I make no judgements on what people watch. There are, after all, Rick and Morty fans.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Apr 2, 2020, 14:44
Verno

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 14:44
Apr 2, 2020, 14:44
 Verno

I understand not wanting to watch it. But the tone of many comments like this suggest that those who watched it felt the subjects were somehow admirable or likable. Far from it. It was a true crime story with a look at a very dark slice of life. I found it an interesting expose of an aberrant culture I previously had no idea existed.

This is how we felt about it. It's like watching Behind the Curve, its a glimpse into a community and situation that I don't really identify with but found interesting nonetheless. It's perfect viewing for people who like their truth stranger than fiction. Much like the Lisa Nowak story which was made into a Natalie Portman movie but shamefully did not include the diaper.
Playing: FF7R
Watching: The Last Dance

Apr 2, 2020, 14:15
Beamer

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 14:15
Apr 2, 2020, 14:15
 Beamer

I understand not wanting to watch it. But the tone of many comments like this suggest that those who watched it felt the subjects were somehow admirable or likable. Far from it. It was a true crime story with a look at a very dark slice of life. I found it an interesting expose of an aberrant culture I previously had no idea existed.

I don't get the people that unironically love Joe (though I think many ironically do.) Like I don't get the people that found Carole the worst one on the show (though she's awful.)

As you mentioned, everyone is terrible, but the purpose isn't glorifying them, like reality tv. Instead, it's telling the story of a crime. Could be told better, but still telling it. The "look how wacky this guy is" is set up to contrast with "but look how deluded he is, and look at what he did."

Apr 2, 2020, 14:10
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 14:10
Apr 2, 2020, 14:10

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Apr 2, 2020, 13:46
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 13:46
Apr 2, 2020, 13:46

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Apr 2, 2020, 13:35
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 13:35
Apr 2, 2020, 13:35

NPR Fresh Air Covid19 podcast
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”
Pandemics don’t end because the economy is suffering and we want them to.

Apr 2, 2020, 13:08
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 13:08
Apr 2, 2020, 13:08

I suffered through the first episode of Tiger King. I found it mostly a depressing story about trash humans I don't care about, and have no interest in. I think the reality TV comparison is apt.
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older