Out of the Blue

Happy April Fool's Day, the annual celebration of tomfoolery that's equal parts professional comedy, amateur comedy (aka tragedy), and tedium. This year, however, with the world in the grips of a pandemic, we've seen various indications that many companies and outlets are foregoing the usual shenanigans ("No April Fools" is currently trending on Twitter). There's little doubt there will be some of the usual gags, but it won't be surprising if this makes for a subdued version of the occasion. As always, we will round up the jokes while trying not to fall for them (though I wonder if we already did).

Obituary: Lord of the Rings Dialect Coach Dies of Coronavirus.

Foolish Links
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Breakfast Link

Stories

Science

Media

Follow-up

The Funnies

View : : :
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Apr 4, 2020, 19:27
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 4, 2020, 19:27
Apr 4, 2020, 19:27

Prez wrote on Apr 1, 2020, 13:50:
I still can't type too well. Just checking in.

Welcome back - take it slow.

Pretty sure this is an empty offer, but if there is anything I can do, PM me.

Apr 3, 2020, 08:40
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 3, 2020, 08:40
Apr 3, 2020, 08:40

Jivaro wrote on Apr 2, 2020, 22:01:
I won't risk my life with shit for brains info from a President who might just now be figuring out that he fucked up or be using overly dramatic headlines and sensational articles meant to get clicks not inform.
You are giving him WAY too much credit. Just yesterday in reference to how well the US has done in reacting to the pandemic he said, “We’ve done, I think on average, really phenomenally as a country.”
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Apr 2, 2020, 22:01
Jivaro

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 22:01
Apr 2, 2020, 22:01
 Jivaro

I take my COVID 19 advice/info from Scandinavian newspapers and their governments announcements. I have literally given up on our government and press to be accurate and factual with anything remotely close to consistency. I won't risk my life with shit for brains info from a President who might just now be figuring out that he fucked up or be using overly dramatic headlines and sensational articles meant to get clicks not inform.

In today's world we have the ability to read sources from other countries, given what the stats say about the American response to Covid19 so far, I would encourage anyone who isn't already to start broadening those info sources. In my opinion it isn't just the President and his administration who have dropped the ball on this. Americans as people and a culture really should take a hard look at the state of our country during and after this. This Rep v Dem thing has done nothing but lead to the perfect storm of pandemics. Ineffective CDC, impotent and possibly non-existent administrative disease response team, under-regulated and under-staffed health industry, and a media that can't decide if the hard on they have for Trump is because they love him or hate him.

sorry for the rant but it just shows how screwed up we are as Americans right now that we can literally have two different sets of "facts" about this disease and you can predict which one you will get based on whether it's a Rep or a Dem on the TV news talking. I mean, how the fuck did the Georgia governor just find out this morning that people are contagious before they show signs of illness? Hasn't everyone known that for weeks now? Give me a break.

This comment was edited on Apr 2, 2020, 22:17.

Apr 2, 2020, 15:34
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 15:34
Apr 2, 2020, 15:34

RedEye9 wrote on Apr 2, 2020, 10:11:
Engineer intentionally crashes train near hospital ship Mercy, believing in weird coronavirus conspiracy, feds say
The mentally ill are having a rough go of it during the Covid19 Pandemic. Be interesting to see how his union handles this little whoopsie.

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 1, 2020, 19:53:
afka Rossini wrote on Apr 1, 2020, 17:11:
RedEye9 wrote on Apr 1, 2020, 13:22:
The “Rick and Morty” trailer is supreme.
I can't wait. It looks like Snuffles Snowball is back. The question is, is it an April Fool's joke?
Holy fuck, if that's their idea of an April Fool's joke...
Better not be a joke because that would derail my freight train.
Too much Rush L and Alex J.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

Apr 2, 2020, 10:11
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 10:11
Apr 2, 2020, 10:11

Engineer intentionally crashes train near hospital ship Mercy, believing in weird coronavirus conspiracy, feds say
The mentally ill are having a rough go of it during the Covid19 Pandemic. Be interesting to see how his union handles this little whoopsie.

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Apr 1, 2020, 19:53:
I can't wait. It looks like Snuffles Snowball is back. The question is, is it an April Fool's joke?
Better not be a joke because that would derail my freight train.
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”
Pandemics don’t end because the economy is suffering and we want them to.

Apr 2, 2020, 07:18
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 07:18
Apr 2, 2020, 07:18

Orogogus wrote on Apr 2, 2020, 01:31:
Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 1, 2020, 23:24:
It is so much worse than most realize. I heard a report today about how the US government has been trying to get a cheap ventilator for years now.

They contracted a small company to design and build one, and then sell them to the US government. The government granted the money for the research and development and when the company was about to start selling the ventilators to the government, a larger competitor who was selling ventilators for three times the price bought the company and told the government they wanted out of the deal. Which the government allowed without forcing repayment of the development costs.

So, they tried again, this time they asked a large company (Phillips) to do the same thing. Again, the company said yes and took the development money. However the government failed to put a delivery timeline in the contract. Phillips designed and started making and selling the ventilators all over the world. Yet, they still haven't fulfilled the contract to supply ventilators to the US government. They recently said they would make "their best effort" to fill the order.

This is sequence of events is many years in the making. If I remember correctly it started before the Obama administration. So, while I think the Trump administration response has been an absolute abysmal failure -- the failures have been happening on a regular basis for a long time.

That was one of yesterday's Out of the Blue stories.
Haha, missed that. I heard it on the radio, I want to say it was NPR but I am not sure...
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Apr 2, 2020, 01:46
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 01:46
Apr 2, 2020, 01:46

Prez wrote on Apr 1, 2020, 13:50:
I still can't type too well. Just checking in.
Glad to see you got your priorities straight, man.... Blues is love...Blues is life. LOL. Kidding aside, glad to see your post!

Apr 2, 2020, 01:31
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 2, 2020, 01:31
Apr 2, 2020, 01:31

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 1, 2020, 23:24:
It is so much worse than most realize. I heard a report today about how the US government has been trying to get a cheap ventilator for years now.

They contracted a small company to design and build one, and then sell them to the US government. The government granted the money for the research and development and when the company was about to start selling the ventilators to the government, a larger competitor who was selling ventilators for three times the price bought the company and told the government they wanted out of the deal. Which the government allowed without forcing repayment of the development costs.

So, they tried again, this time they asked a large company (Phillips) to do the same thing. Again, the company said yes and took the development money. However the government failed to put a delivery timeline in the contract. Phillips designed and started making and selling the ventilators all over the world. Yet, they still haven't fulfilled the contract to supply ventilators to the US government. They recently said they would make "their best effort" to fill the order.

This is sequence of events is many years in the making. If I remember correctly it started before the Obama administration. So, while I think the Trump administration response has been an absolute abysmal failure -- the failures have been happening on a regular basis for a long time.

That was one of yesterday's Out of the Blue stories.

Apr 1, 2020, 23:24
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2020, 23:24
Apr 1, 2020, 23:24

Apr 1, 2020, 23:09
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2020, 23:09
Apr 1, 2020, 23:09

Sorry to hear, Cutter... it's rough times with this pandemic, I can't even find a game industry job right now, my employment situation sucks

Cutter wrote on Apr 1, 2020, 21:32:
jdreyer wrote on Apr 1, 2020, 20:49:
Documents show backlog of 160,000 coronavirus tests at just one lab company

I'm so tired of all the winning.

Yeah, I'm really pissed about this now.

"Ontario has come under widespread criticism for its sluggish testing rate. With nearly 40 per cent of Canada’s population, Ontario has the lowest per-capita testing rate in the country at about 350 per 100,000 people — less than half the per-capita rate of the other large provinces. It currently processes about 3,000 tests per day."

And it's all because of money. Fucking cons always cheap out on this stuff. And when it all goes to shit after the fact they'll do what they always do 'Derp! No way we could have known testing would help.'

You can't flatten the curve if you don't know who's sick! Call out the fucking military. Set up MASH units. We need mass testing and quick. That isolates the actual sick and lets the rest of life get back to some semblance of normalcy. Half measures are just a waste of time and money.

The lack of testing is the crazy thing... we might have like 10x more infected than what's reported. Even 60% of the world population might eventually get the coronavirus before it's over

Apr 1, 2020, 21:32
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2020, 21:32
Apr 1, 2020, 21:32
 Cutter

jdreyer wrote on Apr 1, 2020, 20:49:

Yeah, I'm really pissed about this now.

"Ontario has come under widespread criticism for its sluggish testing rate. With nearly 40 per cent of Canada’s population, Ontario has the lowest per-capita testing rate in the country at about 350 per 100,000 people — less than half the per-capita rate of the other large provinces. It currently processes about 3,000 tests per day."

And it's all because of money. Fucking cons always cheap out on this stuff. And when it all goes to shit after the fact they'll do what they always do 'Derp! No way we could have known testing would help.'

You can't flatten the curve if you don't know who's sick! Call out the fucking military. Set up MASH units. We need mass testing and quick. That isolates the actual sick and lets the rest of life get back to some semblance of normalcy. Half measures are just a waste of time and money.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Apr 1, 2020, 21:22
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2020, 21:22
Apr 1, 2020, 21:22
 Cutter

Thanks all. Guess there's never a good time for it is there? But I really feel for everyone who has to deal with this shit right now. My poor cousin and his wife are isolated with 3 days remaining - they were away on business when all this started going down - and the coroner told him he can't even come see her until then, deal with her belongings, etc. He said they'll do something - memorial wise - once this is all under control. Definitely is making this whole thing a fuckton more somber now.

Poor Prez, let's hope he gets better. And fuck knows where Creston is, hope he's ok. So this is the joy of getting old, eh?

This comment was edited on Apr 1, 2020, 21:33.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Apr 1, 2020, 20:49
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2020, 20:49
Apr 1, 2020, 20:49

"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

Apr 1, 2020, 19:53
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2020, 19:53
Apr 1, 2020, 19:53

I'm not sure if I saw the link here on Blues or somewhere else, but Samurai Rick showed up a day or two ago. Apparently, this was done in conjunction with Roiland and Harmon using the Japanese voice actors who dub the regular episodes.

I hope and assume it's real, and it's just unfortunate timing for the announcement. Plus they have a ton of episode fragments in there, almost all new, all high quality, no way they'd waste that much time for an April Fool's gag..?

Apr 1, 2020, 19:29
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2020, 19:29
Apr 1, 2020, 19:29

Getting In My Ex-Girlfriend’s Back Door.

Comedy gold from the Lockpicking Lawyer.

Apr 1, 2020, 19:16
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2020, 19:16
Apr 1, 2020, 19:16

jdreyer wrote on Apr 1, 2020, 15:41:
Stay home people. Stay the fuck home. STAY HOME.

Infected but Feeling Fine: The Unwitting Coronavirus Spreaders
This ain’t good, ain’t good at all.
NPR
5 Key Facts Not Explained In White House COVID-19 Projections

“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”
Pandemics don’t end because the economy is suffering and we want them to.

Apr 1, 2020, 19:13
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2020, 19:13
Apr 1, 2020, 19:13

Microsoft ahead of the game for the first time in years as they cancel all in-person events until June 2021.

Apr 1, 2020, 17:30
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2020, 17:30
Apr 1, 2020, 17:30

Cutter wrote on Apr 1, 2020, 11:11:
My aunt died yesterday and we don't even know if there will be a funeral/ memorial or anything now because of all the shit going on. Fuck.

Condolences Cutter. The funeral situation is another of the many tragic aspects of COVID-19. MrsBlue was working for a company that works with florists around the country, and saw first-hand that the cancellation of funerals, as well as weddings and other such events, started happening early on the in crisis. This is making it even harder than usual for families to deal with their losses.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Apr 1, 2020, 17:20
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2020, 17:20
Apr 1, 2020, 17:20

Sorry for your loss, Cutter.

Prez, I'm glad your still with us.
"Let them eat Twinkies" - Proposed followup to Melania Trump's "Be Best" campaign.

Apr 1, 2020, 17:11
Re: Out of the Blue Apr 1, 2020, 17:11
Apr 1, 2020, 17:11

I'm not sure if I saw the link here on Blues or somewhere else, but Samurai Rick showed up a day or two ago. Apparently, this was done in conjunction with Roiland and Harmon using the Japanese voice actors who dub the regular episodes.
"Let them eat Twinkies" - Proposed followup to Melania Trump's "Be Best" campaign.
34 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  ] Older