14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Evening Metaverse
Apr 1, 2020, 21:22
Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 1, 2020, 21:22
Apr 1, 2020, 21:22

I picture the ones saying that working from home just cannot be exhausting are the same as those telling depressed people to just "cheer up"...

I'm diagnosed with a generalized anxiety disorder, which means going out is more exhausting for me than staying in, but my wife has been working from home for almost 2 weeks now after being in an office job....

For me, I'm perfectly fine with this stay at home setup because of my feelings to being out and about, but my wife is very much stressed over this. Like Beamer and Blue stated, it's all about the routine being so out-of-whack and how mentally exhausting it can be waking up, walking to the table, sitting down for 8 hours, then walking a whole 2 feet to be "off work" without the ability to have the cooling-off period of, say, a commute.

She's found ways to manage this by basically making the dining room table her 'office' and treating it as such, but it's still difficult to keep the mind from wandering so much when you're in the same place 24/7.

Apr 1, 2020, 12:49
Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 1, 2020, 12:49
Apr 1, 2020, 12:49

I may be looking at this too simply but in one case it is physically exhausting and the other case is mentally exhausting. Both take their tolls in different ways.
"Yeah everyone's gotta have the sickness
Cause everyone seems to need the cure"

Apr 1, 2020, 10:13
Nimh

Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 1, 2020, 10:13
Apr 1, 2020, 10:13
 Nimh

Beamer wrote on Mar 31, 2020, 23:34:
Working from home is exhausting when you can't leave. There becomes no difference between 8pm on a Saturday and 10am on a Tuesday. If you're awake, you may as well work. Do you want to take a break? You can walk maybe 5 feet. You're walking around significantly less, and changing gears less, so everything becomes some really weird blur. Any distinction between work and not work totally ends. Yeah, you can set boundaries, but at some point they stop feeling as if they matter. You're going to be on the same couch or seat. There's not much to do. May as well do some work, especially since you probably have Teams and Outlook on every screen you loonat and can see it's buzzing with a question.

It's not physically exhausting, it's mentally.

This is where I'm at now.. I have kept most of my routines to make the flow familiar, but it has been getting increasingly frustrating. My wife is fine with it, but I'm more of an outdoor person and missing these nice spring days really sucks this year.

Edit: Forgot quote.

This comment was edited on Apr 1, 2020, 13:17.

Apr 1, 2020, 08:40
Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 1, 2020, 08:40
Apr 1, 2020, 08:40

Blue wrote on Apr 1, 2020, 08:19:
I realized just how introverted I am. In it's simplest form the difference is described as extroverts feeling energized by social situations and introverts feeling drained by them.
Interesting, I've never seen that interpretation before. The only time I feel social situations are draining is when I don't like the person or persons I'm interacting with. But I'm pretty sure I fall solidly into the introvert category. You are right though in pointing out we are not all wired the same. I would repeat my suggestion that those finding it difficult work on their mindfulness.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Apr 1, 2020, 08:35
Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 1, 2020, 08:35
Apr 1, 2020, 08:35

Thank you Beamer, Blue and PHJF.
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

Apr 1, 2020, 08:20
PHJF

Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 1, 2020, 08:20
Apr 1, 2020, 08:20
 PHJF

Beamer wrote on Mar 31, 2020, 23:34:
Working from home is exhausting when you can't leave. There becomes no difference between 8pm on a Saturday and 10am on a Tuesday. If you're awake, you may as well work. Do you want to take a break? You can walk maybe 5 feet. You're walking around significantly less, and changing gears less, so everything becomes some really weird blur. Any distinction between work and not work totally ends. Yeah, you can set boundaries, but at some point they stop feeling as if they matter. You're going to be on the same couch or seat. There's not much to do. May as well do some work, especially since you probably have Teams and Outlook on every screen you loonat and can see it's buzzing with a question.

My GF is basically a zombie these past two weeks. I don't think it helps not having a commute (hers is normally 30-45 minutes).... she wakes up, cleans up, and sits down to work.
Steam + PSN: PHJF

Apr 1, 2020, 08:19
Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 1, 2020, 08:19
Apr 1, 2020, 08:19

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 1, 2020, 08:05:
Beamer wrote on Apr 1, 2020, 07:45:
If you don't think this gets mentally exhausting...
It is mentally exhausting because you let it be mentally exhausting. I don't think it is and not without experience. Two years before they finally laid me off I was forced to work from home. This was two years after I had fought like hell to not work from home and won, getting my management to sign a two year extension on the office space lease. Anyway, my work computer space, my personal computer space, and my TV all in the same room. And being in IT I also got calls at too early am and had to get out of bed, walk 20 feet, turn on a pair of monitors and work on whatever the "emergency" was. Would it be better if you had to drive 15 minutes (or longer) to get to the office to work on the issue? I didn't think I'd ever say this to someone, but you need to work on your mindfulness.

I get it is inconvenient. I get not liking it. But right now, anyone who can work at home has it so much better off than all those people who can't.

I don't think the point of this was about the difference between working from home and not working while staying home. It's about the difference between working from home and going somewhere to work. And I am certainly not going to argue that working from home is more tiring than digging ditches. But it sounds like you are approaching this from the standpoint of an introvert while ignoring the dynamics of how that differs from being an extrovert.

I can be very chatty and social at times, and used to struggle with the question of this made me extroverted. When I finally understood the true definition of the term, I realized just how introverted I am. In it's simplest form the difference is described as extroverts feeling energized by social situations and introverts feeling drained by them.

In the same vein as the above, I won't try and say that being at a cocktail party is harder work than digging ditches, but as an introvert I do find most social situations positively exhausting. So it stands to reason that extroverts can feel exhausted by the social isolation which I tend to find invigorating.

tl;dr: We're not all wired the same and social isolation has a different impact on different types of personalities.
Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

Apr 1, 2020, 08:05
Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 1, 2020, 08:05
Apr 1, 2020, 08:05

Beamer wrote on Apr 1, 2020, 07:45:
If you don't think this gets mentally exhausting...
It is mentally exhausting because you let it be mentally exhausting. I don't think it is and not without experience. Two years before they finally laid me off I was forced to work from home. This was two years after I had fought like hell to not work from home and won, getting my management to sign a two year extension on the office space lease. Anyway, my work computer space, my personal computer space, and my TV all in the same room. And being in IT I also got calls at too early am and had to get out of bed, walk 20 feet, turn on a pair of monitors and work on whatever the "emergency" was. Would it be better if you had to drive 15 minutes (or longer) to get to the office to work on the issue? I didn't think I'd ever say this to someone, but you need to work on your mindfulness.

I get it is inconvenient. I get not liking it. But right now, anyone who can work at home has it so much better off than all those people who can't.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Apr 1, 2020, 07:45
Beamer

Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 1, 2020, 07:45
Apr 1, 2020, 07:45
 Beamer

Mr. Tact wrote on Apr 1, 2020, 07:28:
Listen, I get it that mamy people are more social than I am. That not having regular face to face contact with others is unpleasant to them. Fine. But the only people I'll buy the "working from home is exhausting" for is the people with young children. And even then I am tempted to tell them to suck it up and live with the choices they have made in their lives. This stuff is the largest case of wimpyness I have seen in a long freaking time...

Ok, ignore my entire post. I'll go back to my 1 bedroom apartment that I can't leave and share with another person, someone that was up at 5am with a work phonecall, after I was up at 1am on a call myself with China, now getting emails based on that in bed, and will soon go to the kitchen counter I do most of my work, with literally no separation between work and not work. If you don't think this gets mentally exhausting...

Without being able to schedule things like leaving the apartment, and with no place to go that is a designated non-work zone, it is exhausting.

Apr 1, 2020, 07:28
Re: Evening Metaverse Apr 1, 2020, 07:28
Apr 1, 2020, 07:28

Listen, I get it that mamy people are more social than I am. That not having regular face to face contact with others is unpleasant to them. Fine. But the only people I'll buy the "working from home is exhausting" for is the people with young children. And even then I am tempted to tell them to suck it up and live with the choices they have made in their lives. This stuff is the largest case of wimpyness I have seen in a long freaking time...

Mar 31, 2020, 23:34
Beamer

Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 31, 2020, 23:34
Mar 31, 2020, 23:34
 Beamer

Mar 31, 2020, 23:12
Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 31, 2020, 23:12
Mar 31, 2020, 23:12

I think the hardest physical labor job I had was slinging cable in buildings under construction. In the middle of summer. In Texas. The first week I lost 10 pounds. The second week, I was down 27 pounds. I was drinking three gallons of water a day...literally and rarely urinating.

Hefting multiple dozens of 330ft of exterior Cat5 cable all day was definitely taxing.

However, I can see why working from home is exhausting for some people that are used to a traditional office environment. There is none of the little breaks people take for face to face socialization or getting up to go get a cup of coffee/tea/can of soda/water. Your kids are most likely stuck at home with you so you're trying to balance work and home at the same time and keep both going at least somewhat smoothly.

So it's just you, a monitor(s), endless work, and possibly screaming kids.

I would definitely find that exhausting as Hell.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Mar 31, 2020, 23:00
Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 31, 2020, 23:00
Mar 31, 2020, 23:00

Damn it Cutter, this is the second time in too short a time I am forced to agree with you. In a similar vein I am simultaneously amused and annoyed by people talking about how much stress and anxiety they are under from having to stay inside, how difficult it is... JFC people... do you need your mommies to make you some hot chocolate?

Mar 31, 2020, 21:43
Cutter

Re: Evening Metaverse Mar 31, 2020, 21:43
Mar 31, 2020, 21:43
 Cutter

Spoken by someone who's never did a hard day of physical work in her life.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older