Out of the Blue

We are not usually so trendy, but MrsBlue and I started watching Tiger King on Netflix. It is quite easy to see why this went viral so quickly. It is a pretty amazing train-wreck and it's basically impossible to look away. It's a short series, so I'm pretty sure we'll finish it today. Roar!

Tiger Links
Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.

Link of the Day

Stories

Media

Follow-up

The Funnies

View : : :
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Mar 30, 2020, 01:23
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2020, 01:23
Mar 30, 2020, 01:23

Kxmode wrote on Mar 29, 2020, 16:34:
I recently rewatched the first episode of The Next Generation (Journey to Farpoint) and forgot how well done the show is. Even though I like Picard and Discovery, TNG's style of Star Trek is sorely missing from both. I've seen a few of you mention The Orville. Several questions:

1. Is the series like The Next Generation with episodic stories?
2. Are the stories as good as TNG, for example, make you think, or stories about aspects of humanity? (The things Star Trek did well)
3. Are the special effects good? (For a television series in the 90s, TNG had excellent, near movie quality, special effects.)
4. Are there memorable aliens like Vulcans, Klingons, and Romulans?

Please be honest. Thank you.

Watch a few episodes to get a feel. The first episode is kind of rough, I think, but it gets better. Seth adheres well to the moral questions Star Trek often raises, while throwing in his "teen" humor at the same time. There are lots of interesting aliens, in a Star Trek style. I enjoyed it, but I could see why people don't like it.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

Mar 30, 2020, 00:40
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 30, 2020, 00:40
Mar 30, 2020, 00:40

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 29, 2020, 21:31:
The Orville is a combination of the least funny Family Guy episode you've ever seen mated to Ted 2 in Space. It doesn't match the cutting room floor clippings from Galaxy Quest in scope, humor or story.
A warm caffeine free flat diet Coke is more palatable.

Considering the source, I'll take this as a glowing recommendation.

Mar 29, 2020, 21:31
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2020, 21:31
Mar 29, 2020, 21:31

The Orville is a combination of the least funny Family Guy episode you've ever seen mated to Ted 2 in Space. It doesn't match the cutting room floor clippings from Galaxy Quest in scope, humor or story.
A warm caffeine free flat diet Coke is more palatable.
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”
Pandemics don’t end because the economy is suffering and we want them to.

Mar 29, 2020, 20:42
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2020, 20:42
Mar 29, 2020, 20:42

subx wrote on Mar 29, 2020, 20:18:
Mixed in?

Links: > You can help make this Lego 3Dfx Voodoo 3D graphics card a reality.
             > Tired of rewatching Fleabag? Here are 30 TV hidden gems to stream.
               Thanks RedEye9.

Stories: > Walmart Reports Increased Sales In Tops, Not Bottoms, As More People
               Telework. Thanks RedEye9.

Media: > Samurai & Shogun (Rick and Morty).
             > Breaking Bad Coronavirus Parody - "Walter Wipe."
             > Astronaut Chris Hadfield Reviews Space Movies, from 'Gravity' to
               'Interstellar.'

Follow-up: > Condom shortage looms after coronavirus lockdown shuts world's top
               producer. Thanks Max.

The Funnies: > Respawning in Warzone - Arcade Rage.

I do like the link on the same line as the topic and mentioned it a couple days ago.
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”

Mar 29, 2020, 20:20
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2020, 20:20
Mar 29, 2020, 20:20
 Kxmode

deleted

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 2020, 02:49.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Mar 29, 2020, 20:18
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2020, 20:18
Mar 29, 2020, 20:18

Mixed in?

Links: > You can help make this Lego 3Dfx Voodoo 3D graphics card a reality.
             > Tired of rewatching Fleabag? Here are 30 TV hidden gems to stream.
               Thanks RedEye9.

Stories: > Walmart Reports Increased Sales In Tops, Not Bottoms, As More People
               Telework. Thanks RedEye9.

Media: > Samurai & Shogun (Rick and Morty).
             > Breaking Bad Coronavirus Parody - "Walter Wipe."
             > Astronaut Chris Hadfield Reviews Space Movies, from 'Gravity' to
               'Interstellar.'

Follow-up: > Condom shortage looms after coronavirus lockdown shuts world's top
               producer. Thanks Max.

The Funnies: > Respawning in Warzone - Arcade Rage.

Mar 29, 2020, 20:04
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2020, 20:04
Mar 29, 2020, 20:04
 Cutter

Kxmode wrote on Mar 29, 2020, 16:34:
I recently rewatched the first episode of The Next Generation (Journey to Farpoint) and forgot how well done the show is. Even though I like Picard and Discovery, TNG's style of Star Trek is sorely missing from both. I've seen a few of you mention The Orville. Several questions:

1. Is the series like The Next Generation with episodic stories?
2. Are the stories as good as TNG, for example, make you think, or stories about aspects of humanity? (The things Star Trek did well)
3. Are the special effects good? (For a television series in the 90s, TNG had excellent, near movie quality, special effects.)
4. Are there memorable aliens like Vulcans, Klingons, and Romulans?

Please be honest. Thank you.

The Orville is TNG-lite. I really like the show. Definitely more comedic and goofy elements but it's not entirely off the wall. SFX are really good. Plenty of interesting aliens too. S3 is coming - most likely in the Fall - so you might want to wait to binge on S1 & S2 but if you're looking for something to watch go for it. I think Seth is a very talented guy. I hope this show lasts for a few more seasons at least.
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Mar 29, 2020, 18:03
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2020, 18:03
Mar 29, 2020, 18:03
 Kxmode

deleted

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 2020, 02:48.
"Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times." - Those Who Remain by G. Michael Hopf

Mar 29, 2020, 17:14
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2020, 17:14
Mar 29, 2020, 17:14

Derp.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Mar 29, 2020, 17:05
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2020, 17:05
Mar 29, 2020, 17:05

jdreyer wrote on Mar 29, 2020, 16:56:
Condom shortage looms after coronavirus lockdown shuts world's top producer. Thanks

Explains the 2020 Christmas baby spike.

Sodomy on the rise while hoarders more closely scrutinize their partners to decide whether they're "sheath-worthy."

Mar 29, 2020, 16:56
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2020, 16:56
Mar 29, 2020, 16:56

Condom shortage looms after coronavirus lockdown shuts world's top producer. Thanks

Explains the 2020 Christmas baby spike.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

Mar 29, 2020, 16:34
Kxmode

Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2020, 16:34
Mar 29, 2020, 16:34
 Kxmode

deleted

This comment was edited on Apr 8, 2020, 02:48.

Mar 29, 2020, 16:19
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2020, 16:19
Mar 29, 2020, 16:19
 Cutter

I have Weather Tech in my Niro and they're fucking awesome! Totes worth it! They're not kidding when they say laser measured. They fit like a glove. I'd highly recommend them to everyone regardless of the commercial.

And Tact is right. Fucking airlines have been making huge bank for ages now and what have they done with it? Spent it all on stock buybacks. They need to raise capital? Do a stock split and sell some of that shit back to the public. None of those big corps with their hands out should get anything to begin with. Further it should now be required that they park 25%-50% of all revenue for a rainy day fund precisely to avoid this sort of shit. Only small and medium sized businesses should be getting small grants and interest free, forgivable loans. Seeing as they actually account for 85%+ of all employment and all.

And fuck. Things are looking decidedly hairy in India right now. I'm wondering if that isn't going to blow up into a full blown revolution. The working class in France is getting seriously pissed at the elites there too. Trashing their cars, etc.

"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Mar 29, 2020, 16:10
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2020, 16:10
Mar 29, 2020, 16:10

Chris Hadfield is AWESOME. fricken overachiever

Mar 29, 2020, 15:36
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 29, 2020, 15:36
Mar 29, 2020, 15:36

I'll gladly take shitty commercials over asking to get bailed out after running your operations on the hairy edge to squeeze out every penny of profit for the last decade of an expansion economy. Seriously, screw those guys.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Commercials
Mar 29, 2020, 15:25
WarPig

Commercials Mar 29, 2020, 15:25
Mar 29, 2020, 15:25
 WarPig

<rant mode on>

I kind of assume, but don't know for sure, that most TV commercials are filmed in Los Angeles. And if that's so, the industry of filming commercials must have been deemed essential in California because, my god, it seems like every other commercial has to do with how much the company cares about my health in these "trying times".

That being said, I'm a capitalist and have no problem with companies trying to survive through all this. If new commercials are needed to let us know that, for instance, a restaurant chain is still open - I totally get that. Others, I don't know... yeah AT&T, I appreciate that you care enough about my health to sell me a new phone. Bringing the virus into it is a little sketchy, but okay, whatever.

Today though I saw a commercial for Weather Tech (who make, among other things, heavy-duty rubber floor mats for cars and trucks) and in the commercial they basically said that their floor mats are non-porous, which makes germs wash away easily - unlike the factory installed plague-ridden carpet. Okay, maybe they didn't say plague-ridden, but we all know what they're talking about and what we're all going through and they did mention that the carpets trap germs.

I don't know, but I think this is getting close to using fear mongering to profit off of the current disaster. The only reason ever to buy a rubber floor mat for your truck is for ease of cleaning, we all know this, bringing germs into it right now is, I think, beyond sketchy.

<rant mode off>

GO SEAHAWKS!
16 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older