Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Half-Life: Alyx Playable Without VR

A video on Twitch from the Valve News Network (NSFW) shows Half-Life: Alyx being played on a flat monitor without the use of a VR headset (thanks Wccftech). This is apparently done through basic control commands, prompting VNN's TylerMcVicker to exclaim, "this is so f**king cool that it just works." The short clip shows him navigating using mouse and keyboard and issuing a command to bring up "fake VR" hands. This is a little janky, but strongly suggests the type of mod to make the game playable without VR as Valve's Robin Walker recently alluded to may come sooner rather than later.
View
5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

5. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Playable Without VR Mar 26, 2020, 21:04 Razumen

Slashman wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 15:15:
HoSpanky wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 12:35:
They'll then use these completely broken logic conclusions to determine that VR is terrible, since they can't even imagine that the headset and controls are absolutely key to making the game spectacular.

Maybe that right there is the whole problem with VR.

"The problem with 2d games is that you need a PC to play them, therefore 2D games are shit!"

See how dumb that logic is

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

4. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Playable Without VR Mar 26, 2020, 17:18 HoSpanky

Slashman wrote on Mar 26, 2020, 15:15:
They'll then use these completely broken logic conclusions to determine that VR is terrible, since they can't even imagine that the headset and controls are absolutely key to making the game spectacular.

I wouldn't call it a problem -with- VR, but it's definitely a problem -for- VR.

Most of the friction is from people who haven't tried it, and yet have already made up their minds about it. Or, worse, they've tried cellphone VR, which is awful, and assumed that was how PCVR works. It's where most of the "VR makes me nauseous, even using teleporting" comments come from.
Then there's the assholes who put their "friends" in PCVR, and force them to do rollercoasters and other intentionally nauseating experiences. That's PRECISELY how you get people to think VR is sickening, but I've read a disappointing number of accounts of this being done.

I've had somewhere in the range of 3 dozen people try VR using my setup. Every single one of them was awestruck, even my tech-grouchy MOM. Each person wasn't shown the same things....I tailored the experience to what level of gaming/electronics prowess each had. My mom was never put into any time-restrictive games, but into exploratory experiences. Meanwhile, my nieces were put into TiltBrush, where they went nuts painting things. Friends with gaming experience were put into game types that interested them.

Now, out of those 3 dozen or so, how many bought VR headsets? Four of my friends now have headsets, although one of them had already purchased his without trying my setup. I'll be conservative and say that probably two of them found it compelling enough to buy the hardware.

That sounds like a bad percentage, but it's not. If you take friends out on your boat, how many of them would you expect to go buy a boat because of how much fun they had? Right now the main issue for VR is perception, and EVERY person who tried my setup had a blast. Not one of them would say VR isn't neat; it's fucking magical. As headsets drop in cost and setup friction (the Quest is definitely heading in the right direction), I'd bet a couple more of those 3 dozen people ends up with a headset of some variety.

Anyway, INSANELY huge wall of text tl;dr: You really need to try VR prior to passing judgement on it, otherwise you're arguing from a platform of ignorance.

3. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Playable Without VR Mar 26, 2020, 15:15 Slashman

2. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Playable Without VR Mar 26, 2020, 12:35 HoSpanky

I wonder how people will manage the tripmine defuser in 2D. It's a 3d puzzle with a VERY short timer.

Other puzzles could probably be done over time, as there's usually no time crunch. They'd be infuriatingly difficult, but rarely are they "you die if you fail". Well, mostly. You can see where they used to have two-handed requirement puzzles in the game that were toned down for those complaining that they only have one hand to work with. If Valve finds that only a handful (hurhur) of people actually use the one-handed mode, expect their next game to demand both hands.

What will happen, though, is people will use a 2D mod, and complain that it doesn't look like a AAA game (because AAA games don't have to squeeze a solid 90x2 FPS), the combat is too easy (it's designed to compensate for human imprecision), and the levels are claustrophobic in design (VR works best when things are close up). They'll then use these completely broken logic conclusions to determine that VR is terrible, since they can't even imagine that the headset and controls are absolutely key to making the game spectacular.

1. Re: Half-Life: Alyx Playable Without VR Mar 26, 2020, 12:12  Primalchrome 

Sure...it's coming. But anyone that's worked with CAD, 3D modelling, or Slicers...navigating 3 axis on a flat screen with a mouse *is* janky until you have a hundred hours or more in it. And people aren't going to buy a good 3D puck for gaming when they can get a cheap VR headset for the same price.  

5 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >