Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Get Child of Light for Free

Ubisoft is currently offering the Windows edition of Child of Light for free via Uplay. This is yours to keep as long as you grab your copy before 9:00 am EDT on Saturday, March 28th. Here's a trailer from back when this RPG first launched, and here's word on the giveaway from Ubisoft:
From March 24 at 6AM PT - March 28 at 6AM PT, Child of Light will be available for free to download and keep on PC via Uplay. Set in the fantastical, watercolored world of Lemuria, Child of Light stars Aurora, a princess on a quest to save her kingdom with the help of a mystical companion named Igniculus. Throughout her journey, Aurora will recruit a colorful cast of allies to join her in the fight, confront enemies in turn-based combat, upgrade her team's skills and gear to take on bigger challenges, and solve puzzles to progress through the world.
View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Get Child of Light for Free Mar 26, 2020, 03:49 WannaLogAlready

Yes RedEye9,

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Child_of_Light points to a loader in Steam forums.

"Your CPU is Outdated" error

The game checks for some SSE4 instructions and if it fails, it shows an error message and refuses to run. The game doesn't use those instructions beyond that test, so bypassing is quite safe.

Bypass CPU check using Child of Light no-SSE4 Loader.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/256290/discussions/0/365172547937155115/

Downloaded it, though didn´t try the game yet.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Get Child of Light for Free Mar 25, 2020, 14:02  RedEye9 

WannaLogAlready wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 13:24:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 11:21:
Did you look here https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Child_of_Light
That's some major instant help, thanks RedEye9 !
Let’s not go patting me on the back too hard. I have no idea if pcgamingwiki includes the fix, but it has saved me in the past.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

9. Re: Get Child of Light for Free Mar 25, 2020, 13:24 WannaLogAlready

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 11:21:

That's some major instant help, thanks RedEye9 !

8. Re: Get Child of Light for Free Mar 25, 2020, 11:21  RedEye9 

HoSpanky wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 10:02:
LurkerLito wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 07:44:
Always wanted to give this a try. Finally got it and I can't run it. It looks like it's one of those games that can't handle high core/thread counts. Setting affinity doesn't work, looks like if you can do more than 17 threads it just crashes immediately on start according to old steam forum posts. To run it you'd have to boot windows to a limited mode using msconfig. So uninstalled.

That makes 2 games I know of that can't handle high core counts (this and Technomancer). It always surprises me when a game made after 2010 can't handle high core counts while games made in the 1990's handle it fine like Baldur's Gate, Fallout, etc...

Super weird. You'd assume it'd only use as many as they programmed it for, and extras wouldn't be an issue. I stopped programming prior to multicore being a thing, so I dunno how deep the issue is, if it's a simple error that the programmers could fix if they bothered (or if the dev studio even exists now), or if it's some deep-rooted problem that would take days of poring over code to fix in several places.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

7. Re: Get Child of Light for Free Mar 25, 2020, 10:02 HoSpanky

LurkerLito wrote on Mar 25, 2020, 07:44:
Always wanted to give this a try. Finally got it and I can't run it. It looks like it's one of those games that can't handle high core/thread counts. Setting affinity doesn't work, looks like if you can do more than 17 threads it just crashes immediately on start according to old steam forum posts. To run it you'd have to boot windows to a limited mode using msconfig. So uninstalled.

That makes 2 games I know of that can't handle high core counts (this and Technomancer). It always surprises me when a game made after 2010 can't handle high core counts while games made in the 1990's handle it fine like Baldur's Gate, Fallout, etc...

Super weird. You'd assume it'd only use as many as they programmed it for, and extras wouldn't be an issue. I stopped programming prior to multicore being a thing, so I dunno how deep the issue is, if it's a simple error that the programmers could fix if they bothered (or if the dev studio even exists now), or if it's some deep-rooted problem that would take days of poring over code to fix in several places.

6. Re: Get Child of Light for Free Mar 25, 2020, 07:44  LurkerLito 

5. Re: Get Child of Light for Free Mar 25, 2020, 03:15 ForgedReality

Riahderymnmaddog wrote on Mar 24, 2020, 19:33:
Now Uplay is going to bribe me too?

Uhh... They've BEEN doing that since before it was cool.

All my games in Uplay I got for free (Assassin's Creed 3, Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, Assassin's Creed Unity, Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, The Crew, and Ghost Recon Wildlands). I wouldn't buy a Ubi game, but I'll play them if they're gonna hand them out. Fuck Epic though. They can eat a COVID-19-infected dog-dick-corndog and die for all I care.

Edit - After having played this game for a couple hours, it's quite good. Really interesting and unique gameplay. The art style is nice too. Totally recommend picking it up. Not ordinarily the type of game I would have checked out, but since it's free, now I know it's good.

This comment was edited on Mar 25, 2020, 05:04.

4. Re: Get Child of Light for Free Mar 25, 2020, 00:30 WannaLogAlready

Last !

3. Re: Get Child of Light for Free Mar 24, 2020, 21:12  Cutter 

I'll grab it. The art direction is quite lovely.

"Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin…I don't know why I just said that. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but gonna stand by it. Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin! I'm owning it." - Rick Sanchez

2. Re: Get Child of Light for Free Mar 24, 2020, 19:33 Riahderymnmaddog

Now Uplay is going to bribe me too?  

1. Re: Get Child of Light for Free Mar 24, 2020, 19:09  RedEye9 

Grapped it  

Vaccines Cause Immunity

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >