Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Amid the distressing general health news lately, we got upsetting specific news about one of our own here last night. Long-time forum participant Prez suffered a stroke he described as "a bad one," but beyond that we are still waiting to learn more. There are a lot of us keeping you in our thoughts right now Prez, and we are very hopeful you can make a swift and complete recovery.

Obituary: "Asterix" Writer Albert Uderzo Dies.

Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Stories: Newly approved novel coronavirus test gives results in 45 minutes.
Olympics 2020 will be postponed amid coronavirus concerns.
The plan to turn half the world into a reserve for nature. Thanks Max.
Science: Our Brains Are Just Making It Up As We Go Along. Fake it till you think it. Thanks Max.
Butterfly Wings Have a Hidden Structure That Rivals Vantablack in Its Darkness. Thanks Max.
New Study Shows 'Separation Anxiety' in Dogs May Not Be What You Think. Thanks Max.
Media: Neil Diamond “Hands.. washing hands.”
Stay Home – Save Lives (Feat. Danny DeVito).
SCIENCE CLASS: WHY Does Helium Make Your Voice Higher?
Auctions: Original Film Posters Online2020.
Follow-up: Antarctica's Denman Glacier melted 3 miles in 22 years.
The Funnies: Coffee Is Ready — StBeals.
Monkey User.
View
39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

39. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2020, 15:09 OpticNerve

Damn, hope you get better and are able to hop back on here Prez.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

38. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2020, 09:03 Slashman

Really sorry to hear about your stroke Prez.

I guess we all think we're invincible until something like this happens.

I had a stroke a couple of years ago and it made me reevaluate my life. I hope you pull through this with minimal lasting effects.

Take care of yourself.

37. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2020, 08:18 DNForever

Hoping you make a full recovery and are getting good care Prez.  

36. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2020, 08:02 Numinar

jdreyer wrote on Mar 24, 2020, 15:58:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 24, 2020, 15:47:
5,000 students will be allowed to return to conservative Christian school. Jerry Falwell incorrectly said young people ‘don’t have conditions that put them at risk’
Praise the Lord and pass the stupidity.
Pretty sure I heard in an interview yesterday that 20% of ICU patients were 45 or younger.

Numbers are crazy and there are self reporting biasies and all sorts of stuff going on and lack of testing to deal with... not to mention waiting for the test to clear dosn't mean you didn't catch it in the meantime or later. But when the health system collapsed in Italy they triaged out the old and infirm, people with heart disease etc. Means that even if they are less likely to have a severe case younger people will be over-represented in the health system once it's saturated.

Unless the US goes full US and prioritises treatment based on wallet or skin colour biopsies. Or maybe Trump is right as unlikely as that is and you have some way to ice this outbreak by easter. If so please share it with everyone else yeah?

But anyone who thinks it's no big deal and dosn't minimise their contact with others should wear a hat or badge or some shit so if they turn up to an overstretched ER or ICU the nurse working her 20th 18 hour day in a row can tell them to get fucked and look after someone else instead.

Hey Prez, fuck having a stroke. Good luck to you and your fam in recovery.

35. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 25, 2020, 02:40  Jivaro 

Get well soon Prez.  

34. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2020, 22:13  Mr. Tact 

It was more of a rhetorical question.

The stock market, and especially the Dow which is only 30 stocks, seemingly reacts more on emotion than any kind of logic -- which I have always considered odd. That said, it only makes sense the largest gains will happen in close proximity to the largest losses. It is simply the nature of the beast. Still, it could be an indication of how bad it is... once again, only time will tell.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

33. Re: The US stock market Mar 24, 2020, 22:02 1badmf

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 24, 2020, 21:24:
So, is this good news or bad news? The Dow had its fifth greatest percentage gain today. The four days which were higher ... were all during the depression...

1 + 1 is a 100% gain. easy to gain big percentages when the total is lower. might've missed out on tesla stock - they were down to $360ish last week, up to $500 now. was at > $900 in feb. that's a power stock to buy whenever the rebound hits.

32. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2020, 21:40  jdreyer 

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 24, 2020, 21:06:
5,000 students will be allowed to return to conservative Christian school. Jerry Falwell incorrectly said young people ‘don’t have conditions that put them at risk’
Pretty sure I heard in an interview yesterday that 20% of ICU patients were 45 or younger.
14.4 percent of everyone in Lynchburg — about 12,000 people — is over the age of 65, if you want a sense of how many people Jerry Falwell Jr. is putting at risk. god works in hysterical ways

Let's not forget that ROK exploded because a church believed that if you had enough faith, you wouldn't get sick.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

31. Re: The US stock market Mar 24, 2020, 21:37  Kxmode 

So, is this good news or bad news? The Dow had its fifth greatest percentage gain today. The four days which were higher ... were all during the depression...

It always rebounds, but unlike physics, the bounce is typically higher than the fall. Warren Buffet said, "do the opposite of what everyone else is doing." Right now, stocks are at huge discounted prices. It's a good opportunity across the board.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

30. Re: The US stock market Mar 24, 2020, 21:36  Beamer 

It's based partially on the relief bill, and partially on Trump saying he'd only let it go 15 days.

But we'll be back down, so I wouldn't buy in now. Even if Trump tries to stop this, most governors won't listen. And if they do, we'll have more deaths, which will hurt things.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't. I'd err on the side of likely fewer deaths but guaranteed economic losses over likely less economic losses but guaranteed more deaths.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

29. Re: The US stock market Mar 24, 2020, 21:24  Mr. Tact 

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2020, 21:06  RedEye9 

14.4 percent of everyone in Lynchburg — about 12,000 people — is over the age of 65, if you want a sense of how many people Jerry Falwell Jr. is putting at risk. god works in hysterical ways

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2020, 19:09  jdreyer 

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 24, 2020, 17:52:
I had a gaming customer burn up a video card, could not see the fins on the radiator for all the cat hair, nicotine and West Texas dust.

Lost my GTX8800 to dust after just two short years. Now all my cases have removable dust filters, which I routinely forget to test.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2020, 18:42  Mr. Tact 

I've seen conflicting news articles, so I'm not certain about the availability of testing, but if I had to guess -- I'd guess the stories saying there are shortages are correct. If I am guessing correctly it really limits the usefulness of these numbers...  

25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2020, 18:11  Kxmode 

Some positive news (I guess), confirmed cases fell to 20% from 32%. Still high, but likely a sign social distancing measures are manifesting.

3/22/2020, 4:43:03 AM - US: 26,474
3/22/2020, 6:13:12 PM - US: 33,276 +6,529 (26%)
3/23/2020, 5:36:33 PM - US: 43,901 +10,625 (32%)
3/24/2020, 2:40:43 PM - US: 53,268 +9,367 (21%)

source. What's interesting is the spread rate is higher on the east than the west, even though the first confirmed unrelated case appeared in the west, and infected cruise ships docked in west coast ports.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

24. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2020, 17:52  RedEye9 

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 24, 2020, 17:44:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 24, 2020, 17:35:
Does your bios see everything. Did you try reinstalling windows?

BIOS is correctly reporting all the components. I tried reinstalling windows, however it took multiple tries due to lockups in the installation process. Once reinstalled, Windows still BSODs within a few seconds of booting, if it boots at all. I attempted to run the Windows memory checker utility, but it locked up about 40% of the way through a run. The system is pretty broken and it seems very likely to be a hardware issue.
I tell my customers that I have 3 different size hammers. Jewelers, medium and large. I recommend large in your case. I hope you can build an awesome box.
I had a gaming customer burn up a video card, could not see the fins on the radiator for all the cat hair, nicotine and West Texas dust.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

23. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2020, 17:44 Scottish Martial Arts

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 24, 2020, 17:35:

BIOS is correctly reporting all the components. I tried reinstalling windows, however it took multiple tries due to lockups in the installation process. Once reinstalled, Windows still BSODs within a few seconds of booting, if it boots at all. I attempted to run the Windows memory checker utility, but it locked up about 40% of the way through a run. The system is pretty broken and it seems very likely to be a hardware issue.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2020, 17:41  Mr. Tact 

Awaiting tests, or awaiting results from tests?  

21. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2020, 17:39  RedEye9 

Midland Tx, 2 hours from my front door, has had its first Covid19 death.
60 year old man with No Underlying Conditions.
3 more on respirators. 140 awaiting test results.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

20. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 24, 2020, 17:35  RedEye9 

Scottish Martial Arts wrote on Mar 24, 2020, 17:29:
Bummer, Prez. We're all pulling for you! Get better soon.

In bad but no where near as serious news, I managed to meltdown my gaming PC last night. It looks like the cord to the speed switch for the case fans got knocked loose at some point, but since the fans in question were low-dB I never noticed. Then, I carelessly left something over the water cooler radiator air intake. Then, NYC radiator based heating being what it is, the living room room was quite hot last night. Meanwhile, I was playing Half-Life: Alyx for 90 minutes or so, and right around the point at which I was going to take the headset off to go open a window and cool the room off, my PC hard crashed. I restarted it, and it hard crashed again when I loaded Alyx back up. Shortly thereafter, I realized the case fans were offline and got them going again, but the system just got progressively more unstable, hard crashing with a BSOD repeatedly.

The system seems pretty broken at this point, sometimes failing to boot altogether, and otherwise BSODing within seconds of loading windows. The error codes on the BSODs vary, but all point to the kernel accessing corrupted memory, which suggest either damaged memory or a damaged CPU. I've ordered a new CPU, mobo, and main memory, with the plan that I'll start by replacing the memory, then CPU, then mobo, in that order, in the hopes that the problem will be fixed early and I can return the others. Ugh, feeling sheepish about this.
Stupid question.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

39 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >