Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal?

A post on Reddit has a screenshot of a bookshelf in DOOM Eternal with a bunch of Easter eggs, including one for Prey. Alongside a Vault Dweller's Survival Guide shout-out to Fallout, there's a book titled 2 Prey or Not 2 Prey. It is open to interpretation whether this refers to actual indecision of whether a Prey sequel should be made, proof of actual plans for a Prey sequel, or just a clever reference to the Bethesda-publisher shooter. The shelf also includes other game references, including Dopefish, Flynn Taggart, and Rage. There's even a Half-Life gag (which is what inspired the Reddit post), as there is a book titled Mesa Science Monthly: Predicting Unforseen Consequences.
View : : :
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older

Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal?
Mar 24, 2020, 00:37
Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 24, 2020, 00:37
Mar 24, 2020, 00:37

Beamer wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 16:20:
Slick wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 08:41:
Beamer wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 08:35:
I'm also with jdreyer. Original Prey, which was actually not original Prey just the first released Prey, wasn't particularly influential, and most of what was influential in it came from the Original Prey. The 2006 game just strung a plot and levels around Paul Schuytema's mechanics.

What are you talking about? Was there a different game that predated Prey 2006?

Yes.

It never got released, but it was a 3DR game. The concepts in the 2006 one all stem from this, but none of the original designers were involved. There's a great article on it Here, on page 106.

Wow. I've got like the vaguest flicker of memory for that. Too bad the video quality is so garbage. I remember some preview when that was being announced way back when.

Now if only I could find the original trailer video for the Call of Cthulhu Dark Corners of the Earth game...

Mar 23, 2020, 17:18
Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 17:18
Mar 23, 2020, 17:18

jdreyer wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 16:38:
RedEye9 wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 09:46:
This is so May 2017.
Wow, you remembered that?
Yep, I remember a lot of extraneous pablum.
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”
Pandemics don’t end because the economy is suffering and we want them to.

Mar 23, 2020, 16:54
Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 16:54
Mar 23, 2020, 16:54

Slick wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 12:21:
Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 10:28:
Yep, the original one was a classic. I often think it could have done much more for the FPS genre, if it had been more popular. To me it was as innovative as FEAR, if not more. And at least as much fun.
I played the 2017 one for 90 mins or so and then refunded it. Boring uninspired crap. Control reminded me of it. And I refunded that one as well.

I don't know what Humanhead were smoking, or what crazy synergy they had going on at that office, but the game was just flawless. Getting that many different ideas streamlined into a game where everything actually works... that's no small miracle in game development. I'm guessing they all went on an Ayuahuasca retreat or something for company bonding, and came back and made Prey.

FEAR is another seminal one, even though I guess technically Max Payne came up with the bullet-time mechanic before them, Monolith just brought it into the stratosphere in FEAR. We saw the first real implementation of ambient occlusion that still looks amazing today. FEAR 3 was actually a great one, and you could replay the entire campaign playing as Paxton Fettel by possessing people. Shit reminded me of "Messiah" by Interplay in 2000. Few things are as satisfying as putting the difficulty on easy and just flying through FEAR 3.

The problem with FEAR 1 was the level design was garbage, 3's was much better, whereas Prey's level design is still just brilliant, better than the Half-Life games, more inventive, creative, and just jaw-dropping.
Given the native American themes of the original Prey, I'm going to go with payote.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

Mar 23, 2020, 16:38
Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 16:38
Mar 23, 2020, 16:38

This is so May 2017.
Wow, you remembered that?
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

Mar 23, 2020, 16:30
Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 16:30
Mar 23, 2020, 16:30

Beamer wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 08:19:
Shouldn't we prefer great games than properly named games?
On the one hand, sure. On the other we should definitely call out corporations that pull bullshit baits and switches by leveraging a known name recognition for a new product.

Mar 23, 2020, 16:20
Beamer

Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 16:20
Mar 23, 2020, 16:20
 Beamer

Slick wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 08:41:
I'm also with jdreyer. Original Prey, which was actually not original Prey just the first released Prey, wasn't particularly influential, and most of what was influential in it came from the Original Prey. The 2006 game just strung a plot and levels around Paul Schuytema's mechanics.

Yes.

It never got released, but it was a 3DR game. The concepts in the 2006 one all stem from this, but none of the original designers were involved. There's a great article on it Here, on page 106.

Mar 23, 2020, 15:27
Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 15:27
Mar 23, 2020, 15:27

Slick wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 12:13:
This is so May 2017.

This guy remembers LOL! I got such shit for that review. That unpaid gig eventually led me to a real paid article on BF1 on Kotaku. Don't know why I never posted it here, I guess cause I went with real name and I know a lot of people on here hate me
haphazardly tossing aside the tattered remains of loving relationships, gainful employment, and personal hygiene Wink
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”

Mar 23, 2020, 12:23
Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 12:23
Mar 23, 2020, 12:23

Slick wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 00:13:
I was just talking to a friend about how bad the "Prey" remake was. A bad Bioshock clone that had absolutely nothing to do with the original Prey.

Different universe
Different characters
Different theme
Different setting
Different mechanics
Different pacing
Different FUCKING GENRE.

The original Prey was a masterpiece, arguably the last great single-player FPS from the golden age of FPS games. Everything that made it cool, fun, unique and challenging was just swept under the rug like it never happened. It had functional portals before portal, you'd shrink down to the size of an ant, you could alter the axis of gravity, you could turn into a spirit ghost and walk across spirit bridges, you could walk on walls and ceilings, and my god every single weapon had such individuality. The puzzles were all intelligently designed, and used original never before mechanics. The death loop still stands as the most engaging, challenging, and unique I've ever seen. The storyline was genuinely heart-wrenching, and it's conclusion was the best ending to a FPS game I've ever played. It influenced games for the next decade. It was seminal.

Then the new game just ignored all of that heritage.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it would be like if Valve made Half-Life 3, and there was no Gordon Freeman, no alien invasion, and no crowbar. Oh and they decided to switch the game genre, so HL3 is now an open-world survivor-horror RPG.

If anyone here has not played the original Prey, you owe it to yourself. It still stands up. I replay it every few years.
Yep, the original one was a classic. I often think it could have done much more for the FPS genre, if it had been more popular. To me it was as innovative as FEAR, if not more. And at least as much fun.
I played the 2017 one for 90 mins or so and then refunded it. Boring uninspired crap. Control reminded me of it. And I refunded that one as well.

It gets so, so much better. You missed all the zero-g stuff, and making choices, and how much upgrades can change the gameplay. I barely remember the original Prey. I have the box sitting on a shelf still, but I felt kind of ripped off at the time. It played like shit and it was not challenging enough. I don't understand how people can think it was more innovative.

Sure, the new Prey is actually a spiritual System Shock sequel, but to criticize it for not being Prey is short-sighted at best.

Mar 23, 2020, 12:21
Slick

Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 12:21
Mar 23, 2020, 12:21
 Slick

I don't know what Humanhead were smoking, or what crazy synergy they had going on at that office, but the game was just flawless. Getting that many different ideas streamlined into a game where everything actually works... that's no small miracle in game development. I'm guessing they all went on an Ayuahuasca retreat or something for company bonding, and came back and made Prey.

FEAR is another seminal one, even though I guess technically Max Payne came up with the bullet-time mechanic before them, Monolith just brought it into the stratosphere in FEAR. We saw the first real implementation of ambient occlusion that still looks amazing today. FEAR 3 was actually a great one, and you could replay the entire campaign playing as Paxton Fettel by possessing people. Shit reminded me of "Messiah" by Interplay in 2000. Few things are as satisfying as putting the difficulty on easy and just flying through FEAR 3.

The problem with FEAR 1 was the level design was garbage, 3's was much better, whereas Prey's level design is still just brilliant, better than the Half-Life games, more inventive, creative, and just jaw-dropping.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Mar 23, 2020, 12:13
Slick

Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 12:13
Mar 23, 2020, 12:13
 Slick

This is so May 2017.

This guy remembers LOL! I got such shit for that review. That unpaid gig eventually led me to a real paid article on BF1 on Kotaku. Don't know why I never posted it here, I guess cause I went with real name and I know a lot of people on here hate me
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Mar 23, 2020, 12:11
Slick

Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 12:11
Mar 23, 2020, 12:11
 Slick

Wesp5 wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 09:19:
Slick wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 08:37:
Imagine this happening in any other medium, take your pick.

A James Bond movie without James Bond and it's an Adam Sandler comedy. And then someone tells you "hey man, I like Adam Sandler movies, who cares what the name of the movie is, geez".

No need to go that far. How about a James Bond movie with Daniel Craig that has none of the original British charme of the old movies but is kind of a Bourne movie instead ;)!

ZING.

Mar 23, 2020, 10:28
Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 10:28
Mar 23, 2020, 10:28

Slick wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 00:13:
I was just talking to a friend about how bad the "Prey" remake was. A bad Bioshock clone that had absolutely nothing to do with the original Prey.

Different universe
Different characters
Different theme
Different setting
Different mechanics
Different pacing
Different FUCKING GENRE.

The original Prey was a masterpiece, arguably the last great single-player FPS from the golden age of FPS games. Everything that made it cool, fun, unique and challenging was just swept under the rug like it never happened. It had functional portals before portal, you'd shrink down to the size of an ant, you could alter the axis of gravity, you could turn into a spirit ghost and walk across spirit bridges, you could walk on walls and ceilings, and my god every single weapon had such individuality. The puzzles were all intelligently designed, and used original never before mechanics. The death loop still stands as the most engaging, challenging, and unique I've ever seen. The storyline was genuinely heart-wrenching, and it's conclusion was the best ending to a FPS game I've ever played. It influenced games for the next decade. It was seminal.

Then the new game just ignored all of that heritage.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it would be like if Valve made Half-Life 3, and there was no Gordon Freeman, no alien invasion, and no crowbar. Oh and they decided to switch the game genre, so HL3 is now an open-world survivor-horror RPG.

If anyone here has not played the original Prey, you owe it to yourself. It still stands up. I replay it every few years.
About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

Mar 23, 2020, 09:46
Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 09:46
Mar 23, 2020, 09:46

This is so May 2017.

Mar 23, 2020, 09:19
Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 09:19
Mar 23, 2020, 09:19

Slick wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 08:37:

A James Bond movie without James Bond and it's an Adam Sandler comedy. And then someone tells you "hey man, I like Adam Sandler movies, who cares what the name of the movie is, geez".

No need to go that far. How about a James Bond movie with Daniel Craig that has none of the original British charme of the old movies but is kind of a Bourne movie instead ;)!

Mar 23, 2020, 08:41
Slick

Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 08:41
Mar 23, 2020, 08:41
 Slick

Mar 23, 2020, 08:37
Slick

Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 08:37
Mar 23, 2020, 08:37
 Slick

Oh please.

Name a famous musician you love or idolize. Now imagine they haven't been on tour for 11 years, but now they are. You're hyped, so you buy a ticket.

When the show starts, you notice you've never seen these musicians before... Where is the band you love? Then instead of playing soulful funk fusion which they are known for, they play a two hour set of derivative dubstep that seems like a poor Skrillex imitation.

After the show you're really confused and disappointed, so you go online to see wtf happened, and everyone just tells you that you need to get over yourself, and that dubstep is wicked sick.

A Harry Potter book without magic, Hogwarts, or wizards, and instead it's a vegan cookbook. "Hey man, it's was a good cookbook, who cares it's called the 8th Harry Potter novel?

Get the message?

Mar 23, 2020, 08:35
Beamer

Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 08:35
Mar 23, 2020, 08:35
 Beamer

Mar 23, 2020, 08:26
Slick

Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 08:26
Mar 23, 2020, 08:26
 Slick

@jdreyer

Downtown Toronto's stores weren't like that, and every gamer I knew IRL loved it.

You know who did play it? Other game developers, that's what I mean by seminal. It's rotted corpse has been picked at by other studios and you can see its influence in subsequent games, but there's still a lot of meat on them bones that hasn't been consumed. The death mechanic for one could be iterated on so easily... Maybe it's out of respect that other devs don't blatantly steal. I guess you also don't see Gravity Gun clones in other games...

Mar 23, 2020, 08:19
Beamer

Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 08:19
Mar 23, 2020, 08:19
 Beamer

Mar 23, 2020, 05:09
Re: Prey 2 Hint in DOOM Eternal? Mar 23, 2020, 05:09
Mar 23, 2020, 05:09

Jerykk wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 04:54:
MT Silver wrote on Mar 23, 2020, 01:05:
I really don't care what they called it. The 2017 Prey was excellent and I would love a sequel.

This. I enjoyed the original Prey but wouldn't call it a classic by any means. It's an 8/10 game. Prey 2017 was pretty great, though.

I disagree, but as with many games this is a matter of taste. Prey 2017 was technicaly perfect, but it had endless backtracking and respawning blowing up a handfull of maps to a full game. In that regards they really should have called it "System Shock X", because the same thing was true in "System Shock 2"...
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  ] Older