Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today

GameStop tweets an announcement that they will begin selling DOOM Eternal today in advance of the official release date for id's shooter sequel, which is tomorrow. They explain this is to avoid overcrowding stores during the virus pandemic since Animal Crossing is also due tomorrow:
To ensure we adhere to CDC-recommended social distancing guidelines, we will be selling DOOM Eternal a day early on Thursday, 3/19 as a safety precaution for our customers and associates. Animal Crossing will release on Friday 3/20 to further help separate the crowds.
View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 20, 2020, 15:03 Drayth

Muscular Beaver wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 23:58:
Drayth wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 18:40:
Steele Johnson wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 12:21:
Yeah, not sure why games like this are still being made. I mean, I do respect id software for their contributions over the years, but really, who are they catering towards, 60+ year olds who can't tolerate change?

Beaver's rather particular about his games.He prefers a version of one where throwing a grenade while moving forward is the equivalent of an Olynpian picking up the Olympic torch and running with it for about 12 yards before finally tossing it at a bunch of people already pointing guns at him vs it's follow up that's been refined in nearly every aspect.
Your arrogance doesnt do you well.
I dont see much refinement. You talking about those upgrades? A few different weapons? Your Fortress of Easter Egg Storage? Nah, thats not much. As I said, feels more like maybe a pack of DLCs.
You must mean the jump and run stuff then. That really has been refined. I mean the last one had a touch of it too already, but this is just extremely... "refined".

I'm not trying to be as serious as that. At least you play ArmA.. but I've put countless hours into each iteration and I just can't fathom how anyone would prefer 2 over 3. And yeah, it's refined., Everything feels so much smoother and responsive. ArmA II just felt janky, but not nearly as bad as ArmA 1.

Anyways.. go, Doom!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 20, 2020, 00:00 Muscular Beaver

Ozmodan wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 23:00:
Not sure why a rehashed Doom is worth $60. As much as I liked Doom, I certainly won't be buying it at that price.
Yep, DLC-price at most.

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

26. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 23:58 Muscular Beaver

Drayth wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 18:40:
Yeah, not sure why games like this are still being made. I mean, I do respect id software for their contributions over the years, but really, who are they catering towards, 60+ year olds who can't tolerate change?

Beaver's rather particular about his games.He prefers a version of one where throwing a grenade while moving forward is the equivalent of an Olynpian picking up the Olympic torch and running with it for about 12 yards before finally tossing it at a bunch of people already pointing guns at him vs it's follow up that's been refined in nearly every aspect.
Your arrogance doesnt do you well.
I dont see much refinement. You talking about those upgrades? A few different weapons? Your Fortress of Easter Egg Storage? Nah, thats not much. As I said, feels more like maybe a pack of DLCs.
You must mean the jump and run stuff then. That really has been refined. I mean the last one had a touch of it too already, but this is just extremely... "refined".

About to give up on waiting for BIS to come back to their senses and do a real ArmA 2 successor.

25. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 23:26  jdreyer 

Kxmode wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 22:07:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 21:02:
There's this:

GameStop: We Can Stay Open During Lockdowns Because We're 'Essential Retail'

It's not "essential retail." It's "surprise mechanics," when someone dies after being infected in the store.

Okay, I got a good chuckle out of that.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

24. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 23:00 Ozmodan

Not sure why a rehashed Doom is worth $60. As much as I liked Doom, I certainly won't be buying it at that price.  

23. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 22:08  Kxmode 

jdreyer wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 17:33:
What's a "GameStop?"

"essential retail"

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

22. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 22:07  Kxmode 

There's this:

It's not "essential retail." It's "surprise mechanics," when someone dies after being infected in the store.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

21. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 21:54  Rigs 

Greentiger wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 19:56:
I'm unsure if I'll like Doom Eternal. I'm not a horrible player but the days of me caring about being a "l33t master" are long gone. I appreciate the idea of best wespon for the job gameplay but sometimes I just want to spam the SSG too.

I think the most boring way to play a game - any game but especially FPS's like DOOM - can be summed up as follows: Min-Maxing a character/profile/class

OMG, shove the needle in my eye now because I NEED to feel SOMETHING!

Coincidentally, something like this is why I tend to fall asleep watching those YT videos that are almost nothing but benchmarks of various new games. The game is meant to be played, guys, not analyzed on 40 different @#%&% system configs. (Now before I get a pitchfork up the backside, I realize there's a purpose to it...to a point, which is my point)

=-Rigs-=

20. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 21:44  RedEye9 

There's this:

un-fucken-believable
won't someone please tell this company that it died years ago

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

19. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 21:02  jdreyer 

There's this:

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

18. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 19:56 Greentiger

I'm unsure if I'll like Doom Eternal. I'm not a horrible player but the days of me caring about being a "l33t master" are long gone. I appreciate the idea of best wespon for the job gameplay but sometimes I just want to spam the SSG too.  

17. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 19:54  Rigs 

Well, I watched LGR's review the other day and he was disappointed with it. Which is surprising considering how bad he wanted it beforehand. He thought it was just too 'over-refined' with too much stuff added to it. Like upgrades upgrades for your upgrades. Civvie11 has just about had an aneurysm waiting for it...

I'm not gonna go crazy not playing it right away but I'll get it eventually. I rather liked DOOM 2016. I wasn't obsessive over it and I uninstalled it shortly after beating it because it was taking up over 100 freakin' gigs of hard drive space(!) but it was good for what it was and I guess that's all that really matters.

=-Rigs-=

16. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 18:40 Drayth

15. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 18:30 jacobvandy

Amazon did not stop shipping 'non-essential' products which they already have in stock, they stopped taking new shipments of such from their suppliers. It's a common misconception.  

14. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 17:38  jdreyer 

Beamer wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 14:00:
Amazon just emailed me to say that, due to covid, my order may be delayed.

My order, which was placed in August 2018!
Why? Because that's when Amazon stopped doing 25% off of preorders. Knowing I'd almost definitely buy this, and that I could cancel if initial reviews were bad, I figured 25% off was a good deal. And it's still a good amount cheaper than it's been elsewhere, by a few bucks, but I don't want it Monday or Tuesday, haha. Now! Now now now!

You may have seen this:

Amazon to stop accepting all products other than medical supplies and household staples to its warehouses amid coronavirus crisis

I guess Doom isn't essential?

It's weird though, I ordered a phone, charger, and case from Amazon a couple of days ago and they shipped this morning.

13. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 17:35  jdreyer 

Bumpy wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 13:17:
I went to Gamestop to buy Doom 2020.

They said they didn't have the PC version in stock.

#GameStopPCGamingIsDying

12. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 17:34  jdreyer 

Cram wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 12:28:

/s ?

Poe's Law.

11. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 17:33  jdreyer 

What's a "GameStop?"  

10. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 14:10  RedEye9 

Beamer wrote on Mar 19, 2020, 14:00:

Why? Because that's when Amazon stopped doing 25% off of preorders. Knowing I'd almost definitely buy this, and that I could cancel if initial reviews were bad, I figured 25% off was a good deal. And it's still a good amount cheaper than it's been elsewhere, by a few bucks, but I don't want it Monday or Tuesday, haha. Now! Now now now!
you make enough that you can cancel that order and buy it on steam, or better yet hit up a gamestop Sick Bed Puke Raincloud

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

9. Re: DOOM Eternal at GameStop Today Mar 19, 2020, 14:00  Beamer 

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >