Out of the Blue

Beware the Ides of March! Today marks the day on which Julius Caesar was famously assassinated in 44 BC. And like the just-passed Friday the 13th, it is considered to be bad luck. And while I mentioned that I couldn't recall any bad luck befalling me on the 13th, I cannot say the same about the Ides of March, as it was one year ago today that we lost our beloved Gunnar-man. This actually didn't strike me until the wee hours of this morning, and it made me terribly sad. But MrsBlue has helped shake this out of me by reminding me what a healthy, happy run he had for over 14 years. I'll always miss him, but keeping his fantastic life in perspective is helping me keep my grief in check.

Obituary: Genesis Breyer P-Orridge, Musician, Artist and Provocateur, Dies at 70.
Obituary: '7th Heaven' Star Lorenzo Brino Dead at 21.

Links of March: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Play: Rubik’s Cube 3D.
Link: Are Movies Getting Worse Because We Don’t Have Warp Drive?
Science: Science Keeps Finding Links Between Autism And Gut Problems. Thanks Max.
Why Turtle Ants Undergo Reverse-Evolution.
How the world's fattest parrot came back from the brink.
Media: How Not to Wake Up a Lioness!
Mama-of-the-Year Opossum Carry 12 Babies on Her Back.
3 Men Help Elderly Couple Into Car in Touching Moment.
The Funnies: Stair Wars – Arcade Rage.
View : : :
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Mar 17, 2020, 15:43
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 17, 2020, 15:43
Mar 17, 2020, 15:43

RedEye9 wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 10:43:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 03:53:
Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 00:58:
Apple doing their best to be hated more than Microsoft: iPhones consuming mobile data without explaination

My daughter's phone is doing this. We're trying to figure out what the hell is going on since she's on a metered connection.
A GIGABYTE a day. Furious2
Don’t you people have phones unlimited data plans.

Yeah, hers did 600 MB in a few minutes. She gets a text every 100MB, so when they started pouring in, she cut the connection. I have her account capped at 1GB per month, and she's usually well under it (just uses wifi most of the time). My cell bill for the entire family (four phones) is usually $60-80 per month, depending on usage.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

Mar 16, 2020, 10:43
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2020, 10:43
Mar 16, 2020, 10:43

jdreyer wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 03:53:
Apple doing their best to be hated more than Microsoft: iPhones consuming mobile data without explaination

My daughter's phone is doing this. We're trying to figure out what the hell is going on since she's on a metered connection.
A GIGABYTE a day. Furious2
Don’t you people have phones unlimited data plans.
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”
Pandemics don’t end because the economy is suffering and we want them to.

Mar 16, 2020, 10:17
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2020, 10:17
Mar 16, 2020, 10:17

Beamer wrote on Mar 16, 2020, 08:20:
I feel like we should start reporting people constantly posting in direct contrast to the CDC. What they're saying is objectively incorrect and dangerous.

We know this forum has several people with serious pre-existing health conditions. And, I believe, regulars over 60. And plenty people consistently around those classes.

False information claiming we're overreacting is going to lead to people getting needlessly ill, or worse.
Blue is on it.
Remember not to quote blatantly wrong info lest your response gets caught up in the dragnet.

NPR food for thought - "More cases are now being reported [in Europe] every day than were reported in China at the height of its epidemic," said the head of the WHO.
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”

Mar 16, 2020, 08:20
Beamer

Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2020, 08:20
Mar 16, 2020, 08:20
 Beamer

I feel like we should start reporting people constantly posting in direct contrast to the CDC. What they're saying is objectively incorrect and dangerous.

We know this forum has several people with serious pre-existing health conditions. And, I believe, regulars over 60. And plenty people consistently around those classes.

False information claiming we're overreacting is going to lead to people getting needlessly ill, or worse.

Mar 16, 2020, 04:00
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2020, 04:00
Mar 16, 2020, 04:00

3 Men Help Elderly Couple Into Car in Touching Moment

Welp, there are two more people the coronavirus is gonna kill.
"The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." Isaac Asimov

Mar 16, 2020, 03:53
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2020, 03:53
Mar 16, 2020, 03:53

Mar 16, 2020, 00:58
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 16, 2020, 00:58
Mar 16, 2020, 00:58

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Mar 15, 2020, 23:56
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2020, 23:56
Mar 15, 2020, 23:56

1badmf wrote on Mar 15, 2020, 22:04:
went to ralphs today (kroger back east) to buy food for the week. looked like the zombie apocalypse swept through overnight. ALL the meat was gone. of course the entire paper waste isle was bare (TP, napkins, kleenex). most of the frozen and canned food too. produce... mostly untouched, except all the potatoes for some reason.

absolute insanity. esp. considering the virus doesn't affect our food supply so there WON'T BE A FOOD SHORTAGE.

Given that these are places where people congregate, restaurants, stores, bars, etc. are closing entirely or reducing hours, or they are being forced to close by state governments. While I don't think it will be impossible to get food, I think it could get challenging over the next eight weeks or so. And you may not wish to visit such places.

Mar 15, 2020, 22:39
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2020, 22:39
Mar 15, 2020, 22:39

1badmf wrote on Mar 15, 2020, 22:04:
... considering the virus doesn't affect our food supply so there WON'T BE A FOOD SHORTAGE.

Shouldn´t be.
The reaction is overboard, but not so insane.
For example, planting, sowing, reaping requires healthy working people.
Fertilizer, oil for tractors, farm machines, and transport, open factories for cleaning, pausterizing, packaging.
The same for all other foods, household products, conveniences and amenities.

Chains of production and factories in China are slowly normalizing and reopening, cautiously measuring the effect on contagion.

Let´s hope USA doesn´t come to that, but the idiotic treatment of the emergency till recently surely didn´t help or give people confidence.

“There will be, as we’ve seen in influenza, an occasional person, who’s young and healthy, who winds up getting COVID-19, seriously ill and dies,” said Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. **Though mostly they should be clear**.

Don´t panic, don´t dismiss, take precautions.

Mar 15, 2020, 22:04
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2020, 22:04
Mar 15, 2020, 22:04

went to ralphs today (kroger back east) to buy food for the week. looked like the zombie apocalypse swept through overnight. ALL the meat was gone. of course the entire paper waste isle was bare (TP, napkins, kleenex). most of the frozen and canned food too. produce... mostly untouched, except all the potatoes for some reason.

absolute insanity. esp. considering the virus doesn't affect our food supply so there WON'T BE A FOOD SHORTAGE.

Mar 15, 2020, 21:07
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2020, 21:07
Mar 15, 2020, 21:07

The Half Elf wrote on Mar 15, 2020, 21:00:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 15, 2020, 20:30:
Coronavirus public service announcement.

So I have some questions and my Google-Fu™ is failing me.

Why is everything (Disney etc) only closed till April? Should I go the horder route and stock up on food, etc for a month?
couldn't hurt

@jdreyer
I sent that to everyone. Thanks

Mar 15, 2020, 21:05
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2020, 21:05
Mar 15, 2020, 21:05

Thanks so much, jdreyer, the *best info* I´ve seen till now.
Kudos !

The Half Elf,

Disney etc, closing till April only, is a hopeful measure.
Probable longer ones are foreseeable.

It´s prudent to take all the precautions you can.

Buy lots of packets of dry beans (soy, green peas, lentils, etc, also corn -cereal-, split can be cooked in minutes, always soak and throw water).
After eggs, fish, meat or dairy, by weight, legumes are the best protein available, *long* way better than cereals, noodles or rice or tubers like potatoes.

Dirt cheap, shelf life around a year, little space occupied.
An overnight or 4 hours soaked, 45 minutes well cooked (little harder than puree) packet, swells to almost fill a sizeable pot.
1 little packet replaces some 10 hydrated product cans.
Feeds you for more than a day, or a family, or freeze part.
Try to have some cereal -bread, corn, rice, etc- with the legumes, results in better protein.
A little dairy mixed, cheese, goes a long way too.
Can be eaten with just oil and seasoning in a pinch.
Hot or cold like a salad if power outage, etc.

Also by hallowed tradition, buy 50 paper toilet rolls, they say it´s lucky !

This comment was edited on Mar 15, 2020, 22:08.

Mar 15, 2020, 21:00
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2020, 21:00
Mar 15, 2020, 21:00

So I have some questions and my Google-Fu™ is failing me.

Why is everything (Disney etc) only closed till April? Should I go the horder route and stock up on food, etc for a month?
Using a steering wheel on a Burnout game is like using the Space Shuttle controls to fly a kite.
https://www.twitch.tv/the_half_elf

Mar 15, 2020, 20:30
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2020, 20:30
Mar 15, 2020, 20:30

Mar 15, 2020, 19:04
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2020, 19:04
Mar 15, 2020, 19:04

Are Movies Getting Worse Because We Don’t Have Warp Drive?

The thoughts of Ross Douthat. Probably mispelt his name, but really don't care. Article can be safely ignored.

Mar 15, 2020, 16:32
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2020, 16:32
Mar 15, 2020, 16:32
 Cutter

Keep saying, possum are awsome!
"Well, he’s not a villain Summer, but he shouldn’t be your hero. He’s more like a demon, or a super fucked up god." - Morty Smith

Mar 15, 2020, 15:45
Nimh

Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2020, 15:45
Mar 15, 2020, 15:45
 Nimh

On grief.. Holland 1945

The only girl I've ever loved
Was born with roses in her eyes
But then they buried her alive
One evening 1945
With just her sister at her side
And only weeks before the guns
All came and rained on everyone
Now she's a little boy in Spain
Playing pianos filled with flames
On empty rings around the sun
All sing to say my dream has come

But now we must pack up every piece
Of the life we used to love
Just to keep ourselves
At least enough to carry on

And now we ride the circus wheel
With your dark brother wrapped in white
Says it was good to be alive
But now he rides a comet's flame
And won't be coming back again
The Earth looks better from a star
That's right above from where you are
He didn't mean to make you cry
With sparks that ring and bullets fly
On empty rings around your heart
The world just screams and falls apart

But now we must pack up every piece
Of the life we used to love
Just to keep ourselves
At least enough to carry on

And here's where your mother sleeps
And here is the room where your brothers were born
Indentions in the sheets
Where their bodies once moved but don't move anymore
And it's so sad to see the world agree
That they'd rather see their faces fill with flies
All when I'd want to keep white roses in their eyes

Mar 15, 2020, 14:31
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 15, 2020, 14:31
Mar 15, 2020, 14:31

How the world's fattest parrot came back from the brink.

Tl;Dr - stopped eating refined carbs and started running and lifting weights three days a week.
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older