Call of Duty: Warzone Attracts 6 Million; Player Count to Expand

A tweet from Call of Duty talks about the number of recruits who have checked out Call of Duty: Warzone in the 24 hours following the launch of the free-to-play battle royale game. They're making a note here, huge success: "What a day! 24 hours in and over 6 million of you have dropped into #Warzone." On a semi-related note, a conversation with Infinity Ward's Patrick Kelly on USA Today from Monday (thanks VG247) indicates that experiments are already underway to increase the number of players in the Warzone from 150 to 200:
"We brought a number of twists to battle royale," Kelly told USA TODAY. "I do think the world you play in is going to be undeniably unique. For one thing, we are initially going to roll out with 150 players, when you are typically seeing 60 to 100. Actually, I can tell you we are already playing with 200 players. We are going to release that a little bit later."
View : : :
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Call of Duty: Warzone Attracts 6 Million; Player Count to Expand
Mar 16, 2020, 22:11
Re: Call of Duty: Warzone Attracts 6 Million; Player Count to Expand Mar 16, 2020, 22:11
Mar 16, 2020, 22:11

My friends and I won a game of Plunder the other day.
Really satisfying banking your money and then knowing that you're free to go Rambo with 0 in your current bags.
We hit boxes and missions super hard off the bat and then try to bank early in an out-of-the-way place before people start camping and fighting at those locations. Then with the 0 risk we start hunting the top players.

Mar 13, 2020, 04:49
Re: Call of Duty: Warzone Attracts 6 Million; Player Count to Expand Mar 13, 2020, 04:49
Mar 13, 2020, 04:49

I'm enjoying Plunder mode, because I'm usually first to die in BattleRoyal games so being able to respawn is really nice.

Mar 12, 2020, 21:28
Re: Call of Duty: Warzone Attracts 6 Million; Player Count to Expand Mar 12, 2020, 21:28
Mar 12, 2020, 21:28

Plenty of really good posts, cant really disagree with the pros or cons listed. I have won a few times with friends and randos. Plunder mode is pure DM chaos. Some really good fights.

Out of the gate they did an amazing job. Gameplay is fast and fun, not like pubg where there can be an incredible amount of downtime. I have wiped full squads, just need some tactics like flash bangs, tactical movememt, etc.

Had a few issues today with lag, latency, and packet-loss.

I think because of the speed, chaos, and 2nd, 3rd and 10th chances with the gulag and rebuys, I dont feel as invested or buttthurt when I die or dont win. Games are under 20 minutes.

Really enjoying it. Scratching the itch after thousands of hours in pubg (quit over a year ago and will never go back, and roughly a thousand in Ring of Elysium (quit in Oct and will never go back, and the game is dead).

The game is tight and fast. You can still do stealth and make it to the end, but it takes some finesse if you are that type of player.

Re: More players?
Mar 12, 2020, 16:43
Re: More players? Mar 12, 2020, 16:43
Mar 12, 2020, 16:43

It is really fun, probably the best BR I've played out of all of them so far. They'll need to keep mixing it up though, and get solos and duos at least, out there. Should be a 4 player mode, too, going by the wording.

It's got so many QOL features, some of which are completely absent for some reason (like not having to manage inventory space, not having to manually pick up ammo, no attachments to worry about). Fumbling over attachments, or at the very least not having them automatically go on guns when picked up, was so silly in other games.

Surprisingly had few issues. A laggy game-start here or there, but it was rare and/or fixed itself soon after. No real server issues. For once, a AAA publisher actually got enough servers for launch!?

Mar 12, 2020, 16:19
Prez

Re: More players? Mar 12, 2020, 16:19
Mar 12, 2020, 16:19
 Prez

I wish I was better at multiplayer games. Being the first to die in battle royale is not what I call fun. This looks pretty good - too bad I suck.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 12, 2020, 15:17
Re: More players? Mar 12, 2020, 15:17
Mar 12, 2020, 15:17

It's free ................that air ballon will fizzle out

Mar 12, 2020, 13:10
Re: More players? Mar 12, 2020, 13:10
Mar 12, 2020, 13:10

Money ? I ran into 3 Asian named Aimbot hackers who i just got head shotted from 900m with a shotgun ! I dont worry about the money when i just want the Kills to lvl up my gear and skills and weapons !!!!! Love sniping the Piggy bank on the ground !! Oink Oink !!!! Here Suueeeeyy !!!!!!

Mar 12, 2020, 13:04
Re: More players? Mar 12, 2020, 13:04
Mar 12, 2020, 13:04

I'm really liking the Plunder mode... not so much BR but rather a super huge DM... infinite respawns and you always start with your selected loadout.
The only penalty for dying is losing half your unbanked money. Have your squad reach $1M or have the most when the clock expires to win.

More players?
Mar 12, 2020, 11:50
More players? Mar 12, 2020, 11:50
Mar 12, 2020, 11:50

I'm having fun with it, but think they have the wrong focus with their "mOaR pLaYerS thAN tHe oTHEr gamez" strategy. (Just so they can tout it as some kind of competitive advantage over PUBG/Fortnite/EFT/Apex) After all, people actually want to win sometimes, or at least feel like they have a chance. In PUBG squad play, it was last team standing out of 20 squads. Right now in Warzone, it's already 50 squads competing to win and they want to increase it to 66? It's going to become literally impossible for a casual or below average player to literally EVER win a game...this isn't an efficient long-term strategy.

I like the fact that there are missions you can complete during the game, gives people an incentive to do more than just hole up in one spot camping until the end. The engine is also a lot smoother than PUBG for example, makes for more exciting and less clunky/frustrating gameplay.

I'd like to see them change the meta though. Right now it's "Drop, kill the players in your vicinity with picked-up weapons for 5 minutes, then ditch them for your Sniper/M4 loadout" every game. It gets rather stale after awhile due to how consistent it is, I'd prefer just having random weapons and attachments laying about, add more diversity to the game.

Time to kill is a bit high, would like to see it lowered a bit. (Complete 180 from MW) Winning a 1 vs 3 is incredibly difficult when you have to unload an entire clip into 1 person to kill them while their teammates are rushing you.

Vehicles are incredibly weak, we've easily killed every player we've seen in one, and died everytime we tried using one ourselves.

Having the ability to be respawned by winning a 1vs1 or your team buying you back in is nice, as even the best players can get RNG'ed on a bad drop, no fun having to spectate for 20 minutes.

Not sure how they're going to handle cheating either. Being free to play, it's going to be even worse than PUBG, where it was already an epidemic. Also, with 150 players and soon to be 200, you're going to be guaranteed to see them in every single game.

Despite the above concerns/criticisms, I still think it's a fun, solid game, and with some tweaks it could around for a long time.

Mar 12, 2020, 11:29
Re: Call of Duty: Warzone Attracts 6 Million; Player Count to Expand Mar 12, 2020, 11:29
Mar 12, 2020, 11:29

My install size was about 80GB.

Cross-play with consoles is MANDATORY. Cannot be disabled in Battle Royale mode.

But CoD gameplay doesn't really fit BR anyways: combat escalates quickly, and ends suddenly. It's the arcade nature of this style of shooter, which hasn't changed for over a decade. Little shooting recoil, high DPS, and overpowered kill streak toys.

So here's what the game designers did: when you die (the first time), you get sent to the gulag to 1vs1 someone else who has died, each of you using the same random weapon. Winner gets to instantly respawn. Otherwise your teammates have to loot enough cash to respawn you. It's not a bad system.

Still, I don't think this game will live on my hard drive for more than a week.

Mar 12, 2020, 11:17
Re: Call of Duty: Warzone Attracts 6 Million; Player Count to Expand Mar 12, 2020, 11:17
Mar 12, 2020, 11:17

Neat, but my competitive gaming friends been 4 players ever since PUBG and Fortnite. Making a game 3 player max all the sudden is dead on arrival.
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older