Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus

An Important GDC 2020 Update announces that the 2020 Game Developers Conference is being postponed due to concerns about the COVID-19 coronavirus. Word is they plan to reschedule the trade show to an unspecified time this summer:
After close consultation with our partners in the game development industry and community around the world, we’ve made the difficult decision to postpone the Game Developers Conference this March.

Having spent the past year preparing for the show with our advisory boards, speakers, exhibitors, and event partners, we're genuinely upset and disappointed not to be able to host you at this time.

We want to thank all our customers and partners for their support, open discussions and encouragement. As everyone has been reminding us, great things happen when the community comes together and connects at GDC. For this reason, we fully intend to host a GDC event later in the summer. We will be working with our partners to finalize the details and will share more information about our plans in the coming weeks.

For more information, please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page.
View : : :
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older

Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus
Mar 5, 2020, 23:51
Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 5, 2020, 23:51
Mar 5, 2020, 23:51

Prez wrote on Mar 5, 2020, 02:23:
Well, I do want the world to go away and leave me alone, but millions dying to a global pandemic is definitely not something I wish for.
Well leave me alone, definitely. But go away? Nah. Need those people to keep making me games to play, books to read, movies to watch. Grin

As for coronavirus, nothing to do but watch it play out at this point.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Mar 5, 2020, 02:23
Prez

Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 5, 2020, 02:23
Mar 5, 2020, 02:23
 Prez

jdreyer wrote on Mar 2, 2020, 22:53:
Prez wrote on Mar 1, 2020, 13:19:
I think the level of fear that this has generated is not proportional to the actual threat. It just seems everyone is grossly overreacting. I shudder to think of the mass hysteria that would occur if a virus that was actually a real global, high-lethality viral threat were to come along.

Cue the inevitable "Prez wants old people to die!" comments.

You just want to see the world burn, doncha.

As long as you had a PC and your dogs, no prob.

Well, I do want the world to go away and leave me alone, but millions dying to a global pandemic is definitely not something I wish for.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 3, 2020, 03:22
Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 3, 2020, 03:22
Mar 3, 2020, 03:22

Sneakycamper wrote on Feb 29, 2020, 22:46:
Trump 2020 !!! = https://komonews.com/news/local/1-dead-from-coronavirus-in-king-county-health-officials-confirm

Dreyerdaughter sectional swim meet just got canceled due to the 2nd death in King County. The meet was the next town over from the death.
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Mar 3, 2020, 03:17
Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 3, 2020, 03:17
Mar 3, 2020, 03:17

Beamer wrote on Feb 29, 2020, 18:54:

But the biggest issue, unsurprisingly, is that this will kill 15% of people over 80. You guys seem to think that's cool. Others of us feel like we need to be prepared to find ways to bring that number down.

I mean, what do the elderly do for us, really?
'I am' is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that 'I do' is the longest sentence? - GC

Mar 2, 2020, 22:53
Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 2, 2020, 22:53
Mar 2, 2020, 22:53

I think the level of fear that this has generated is not proportional to the actual threat. It just seems everyone is grossly overreacting. I shudder to think of the mass hysteria that would occur if a virus that was actually a real global, high-lethality viral threat were to come along.

You just want to see the world burn, doncha.

As long as you had a PC and your dogs, no prob.

Mar 2, 2020, 15:43
Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 2, 2020, 15:43
Mar 2, 2020, 15:43

By the way, that particular fact check site that was linked is itself a division of the daily caller which is a conservative site with a spotty record.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/daily-caller/

that being said, CheckYourFact has a better bias score and a high rating for factual accuracy still

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/check-your-fact/

Pretty nitpicky to say "He didn't call coronavirus a hoax, he called democrats complaining about his response to the virus to be a hoax..."
wat

We know his point, and it's "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!"

Mar 2, 2020, 09:28
Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 2, 2020, 09:28
Mar 2, 2020, 09:28

MrBone wrote on Mar 2, 2020, 09:07:
Please learn to research information before posting, Beamer.

https://checkyourfact.com/2020/02/29/fact-check-donald-trump-coronavirus-hoax-south-carolina-rally/

Beamer wrote on Mar 2, 2020, 07:24:
MrBone wrote on Mar 2, 2020, 07:20:
The president never said that it was a hoax. Stop spreading lies.

So what, exactly, did he call a hoax? The concern over it?
That he wasn't handling it very well?

He has misspelled the name multiple times in tweets, which implies to me he hasn't really been reading much about it. Anyone reading about it can spell it, and you'd hope a President would have daily briefings, even if just one sentence on it. Meanwhile, new reports are that it was being spread unchecked for weeks in Washington, where we're now seeing fatalities, despite the President saying it wasn't in the US.

What, exactly, was the hoax?

Use your words - what did he call a hoax?
That link isn't clear, so I'd like you to be. It says he calls the politicizing of the coronavirus a hoax. I'd love for you to detail that out. What have democrats said that is a hoax.

As a reminder, a hoax is a deception. What was said that was deceptive?

In 2014, the GOP tried extremely hard to politicize ebola, which was a weird one. No one said anything was a hoax.

So, again, what, specifically, is the hoax? That coronavirus is a highly contagious disease with a fatality rate above 2%? That it's in the US, and appears to have been for weeks? That we already have confirmed fatalities? That we actually have a whistleblower saying the government handled this poorly at the military bases, leading to it spreading to the public near them?

Mar 2, 2020, 09:15
Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 2, 2020, 09:15
Mar 2, 2020, 09:15

Do you seriously think that’s what the morons who worship him and attend his rallies like drooling brain-dead zombies think.
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Mar 2, 2020, 09:07
Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 2, 2020, 09:07
Mar 2, 2020, 09:07

Please learn to research information before posting, Beamer.

https://checkyourfact.com/2020/02/29/fact-check-donald-trump-coronavirus-hoax-south-carolina-rally/

Beamer wrote on Mar 2, 2020, 07:24:

He has misspelled the name multiple times in tweets, which implies to me he hasn't really been reading much about it. Anyone reading about it can spell it, and you'd hope a President would have daily briefings, even if just one sentence on it. Meanwhile, new reports are that it was being spread unchecked for weeks in Washington, where we're now seeing fatalities, despite the President saying it wasn't in the US.

Mar 2, 2020, 07:33
Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 2, 2020, 07:33
Mar 2, 2020, 07:33

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/85320e2ea5424dfaaa75ae62e5c06e61
- I refer to it as BC, Before Corona, and AD, After Disaster. -

Mar 2, 2020, 07:24
Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 2, 2020, 07:24
Mar 2, 2020, 07:24

Mar 2, 2020, 07:20
Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 2, 2020, 07:20
Mar 2, 2020, 07:20

Mar 2, 2020, 06:49
Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 2, 2020, 06:49
Mar 2, 2020, 06:49

It's odd when people that voted for a reality TV star, and post exclusively about their own politics, whine that entertainers with different politics than theirs voice them.

I doubt WaltC minds James Woods talking much.

Mar 2, 2020, 06:10
Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 2, 2020, 06:10
Mar 2, 2020, 06:10

WaltC wrote on Mar 1, 2020, 11:13:
Anthony Hopkins, when asked about his politics said, "I don't make political statements--because most actors look like idiots when they do!" I agree completely...;) Hopkins is one of the more intelligent, imo.

Love Anthony Hopkins. Stumbled on this video last year. Just a good measured talk, unlike what seems to be happening on many other platforms.

Mar 1, 2020, 20:55
Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 1, 2020, 20:55
Mar 1, 2020, 20:55

I think the level of fear that this has generated is not proportional to the actual threat. It just seems everyone is grossly overreacting.

I dunno about that. It is spreading to all corners of a round planet. Do you want to be in a large crowd with reports in your area? If not that cancels a lot of events, that effects all of travel. Be in a bad area, it is effecting work, that being China and they make too many of things, that starts hitting business in a lot of different ways. It is really effecting business and that isn't fear... this time. It is real.

Mar 1, 2020, 20:47
Prez

Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 1, 2020, 20:47
Mar 1, 2020, 20:47
 Prez

Beamer wrote on Mar 1, 2020, 17:13:

I haven't seen fear, I've seen precautions. Postponing conferences that tens of thousands go to? We don't have enough information, so it's smart. Wouldn't you want to, were you an organizer, if you thought it was possible even 1 person would die as a direct result?

I'm not saying it's anyone here; but I definitely see fear spreading. If it were my sole decision I'd have still had the conference. My perspective is that it's very possible that this virus might become one of those that just pops up every season and is never quite obliterated. Or it mutates, rendering any vaccine ineffective. Are we just going to hole up in our homes forever?

I work at an international hub; literally thousands of people come through every day. The one precaution taken has been not having our pilots fly to or from affected provinces in China, but work continues unabated. Life goes on - there will always be something to worry about. Take proper precautions to protect yourself and go on living.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

Mar 1, 2020, 17:13
Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 1, 2020, 17:13
Mar 1, 2020, 17:13

I haven't seen fear, I've seen precautions. Postponing conferences that tens of thousands go to? We don't have enough information, so it's smart. Wouldn't you want to, were you an organizer, if you thought it was possible even 1 person would die as a direct result?

Mar 1, 2020, 15:29
Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 1, 2020, 15:29
Mar 1, 2020, 15:29

Nimh wrote on Mar 1, 2020, 14:23:
I heard a quote last week regarding people in the current administration.. “Even if they wanted to do the right thing, they just don’t have the bandwidth”.
I don't know if that's accurate, but it certainly wouldn't be surprising if it was. It has been an on-going story that this administration has left literally thousands of positions open in the federal government.

As for comparing it to the 1918 pandemic, it is not even close, yet. Will it be? It seems unlikely, but only time will tell.
“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.” -- Carl Sagan

Mar 1, 2020, 14:23
Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 1, 2020, 14:23
Mar 1, 2020, 14:23

Perhaps, but it does have the potential of being quite bad. The 2% mortality figure (20x greater than the standard flu) is based on active medical intervention. Those requiring hospitalization is in the 15% to 20% range. So the goal is delaying it as much as possible to prevent hospital over-run in any one area at any given time.

For people in America this could potentially be a perfect storm. For-profit healthcare that is priced above the reach of the uninsured or those with budget insurance. The inability to quarantine due to a host of budgetary reasons, coupled with a fed that won’t provide assistance to those in need. And the virulence, longevity, and asymptomatic nature of the virus. This, in a lot of ways, is worse than the conditions in 1918.

Luckily progress is being made on treating and screening. The drive-through clinics in South Korea are a genius idea. I just suspect that this is not how it’s going to go in the US. I heard a quote last week regarding people in the current administration.. “Even if they wanted to do the right thing, they just don’t have the bandwidth”.

I hope this is all wrong and that something changes for the better.

Mar 1, 2020, 13:19
Prez

Re: Game Developers Conference Postponed Due to Coronavirus Mar 1, 2020, 13:19
Mar 1, 2020, 13:19
 Prez

- Mahatma Gandhi
61 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  2  3  4  ] Older