Out of the Blue

Happy Leap Day! How do you plan on using your "extra" day? I plan on seeing a Knicks game with my friends. Stay at home most of the time and then going to a sports arena during fears of a global virus outbreak? I'm not sure I'm thinking this through properly. But one of my buddies scored some free tickets (the only reason to watch a team as terrible as the Knicks), and I never pass up a chance to hang with my crew.

Obituary: Nick Apollo Forte Dead: Actor in 'Broadway Danny Rose' Was 81. Thanks Neutronbeam.
Obituary: Joe Coulombe Dead: Trader Joe’s Founder Was 89.

Leap Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Play: Soccer Random.
Links: How a seasonal snarl-up in the mid-1500s gave us our strange rules for leap years. Thanks Acleacius.
Why you're washing your hands wrong. I think they mean "how." Thanks RedEye9.
How millennial authors are transforming the fantasy genre.
Stories: 5,000 Year-Old Anatolian Sword Discovered On Venetian Island.
Science: Why your brain is not a computer. Thanks Yiddish.
New study explains why superconductivity takes place in graphene.
Deaf moths evolved noise-cancelling scales to evade predators.
Media: Large Norwegian Wolves.
Snow Trip.
Auctions: Inside the wild world of government auctions. Thanks Digg.
Follow-up: 5 Ways To Prevent And Prepare For The Coronavirus. Thanks Acleacius.
View : : :
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Out of the Blue
Mar 1, 2020, 13:35
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2020, 13:35
Mar 1, 2020, 13:35

Mr. Tact wrote on Mar 1, 2020, 10:30:
jdreyer wrote on Mar 1, 2020, 10:17:
No less than Nate Silver believes that the Comey letter turned the election. Was there some grand conspiracy? No, but his actions had that effect.
Interesting. I hadn't seen that analysis previously (or any other like it). It does seem damning. I agree though, no grand conspiracy. And it makes me wonder what lessons were learned from it -- not any good ones...
His actions bucked decades of protocol. Pretty dumb for Comey to decide that this minor incident which turned out to be nothing was the time to break protocol. Strange that the top LEO was afraid of unwarranted criticism if he properly did nothing.
"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

Mar 1, 2020, 11:40
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2020, 11:40
Mar 1, 2020, 11:40

Wally World and that river company have the 3900x for $420. 12 c 24 t
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”
Pandemics don’t end because the economy is suffering and we want them to.

Mar 1, 2020, 10:30
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2020, 10:30
Mar 1, 2020, 10:30

jdreyer wrote on Mar 1, 2020, 10:17:
No less than Nate Silver believes that the Comey letter turned the election. Was there some grand conspiracy? No, but his actions had that effect.
Interesting. I hadn't seen that analysis previously (or any other like it). It does seem damning. I agree though, no grand conspiracy. And it makes me wonder what lessons were learned from it -- not any good ones...
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Mar 1, 2020, 10:19
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2020, 10:19
Mar 1, 2020, 10:19

Rectal Prolapse wrote on Feb 29, 2020, 18:03:
Cutter wrote on Feb 29, 2020, 15:41:
I was kinda thinking Mexico - especially after watching that Taco documentary on Netflix, and some other shows like Somebody Feed Phil and Rick Bayless and how much good food there is down there. I'd like to check out Oaxaca too. But as resorts go, any recs? One of the guys at the pub last night said the Mayan Riviera (?) is pretty sweet.

I don't really have a good suggestion for you - every time I go to Mexico either myself or my SO get massive food poisoning and end up out of commission for 3 to 4 days. Whatever you decide, bring *lots* of Imodium. At least a 12 pack. You may need to pop them like crack to minimize the projectile diarrhea.

Or drink Coke and eat Clif bars...
"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

Mar 1, 2020, 10:17
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2020, 10:17
Mar 1, 2020, 10:17

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 29, 2020, 18:01:
Cutter wrote on Feb 29, 2020, 17:47:
It's just a question if you can believe the results and if the fix wasn't in from the outset. I wouldn't even be surprised to see some states talking about secession in earnest if Trumpco manages to steal it all again. I think as the conventions happen this summer and it edges ever closer to November it's gonna' be a shit show down there however this all plays out.
I don't believe there was any "fix". There were minor influences from various sources (Comey & the Russians) but there is no way to conclude those influences turned the election. They didn't help, but they may have been inconsequential. Your mention of it is the first time I have heard "vote blue no matter who". What I have heard is people saying if it isn't X, they I won't bother voting. Which is insane, but people are saying it. I'm not saying Bernie can't win, I am saying it will tough and at best, very close. Being an incumbent D or R is a big advantage. And unless the economy continues like it has this last week, the continuing bullish economy is nearly a death blow to any D. The election will turn on the respective turnout of voters in those nine states, and more specifically about 100 specific counties in those nine states. Anyone who claims they know how that will go is lying.

Mar 1, 2020, 00:46
Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2020, 00:46
Mar 1, 2020, 00:46

Really? Wow! Any idea where you acquire it? Street vendors? The water maybe? Because all these shows - and stuff on Youtube - of people eating in Mexico, India, what have you, no one ever seems to get sick. The prevailing logic being that if people get sick because of your food you're going to go broke fast because no one will eat it.

I caught it at one of the all-inclusive resorts (I was avoiding salads but I am pretty sure the fruit smoothies got me - a worker may have not washed their hands after handling meat before mixing the drinks). My wife caught it on the next trip at a wedding reception - everyone who got sick ate the pasta. Lucky for me I wasn't in a pasta mood that night. Or maybe it was the soup at one of the (highly rated) restaurants. Who knows?

My father used to get sick all the time - then he built up an immunity on his 4th or 5th trip.

Many Canadians go to Mexico frequently so they probably built up immunities. Otherwise, everyone in Mexico would be sick all the time haha.

Feb 29, 2020, 20:01
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2020, 20:01
Feb 29, 2020, 20:01

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 29, 2020, 16:01:
Cutter wrote on Feb 29, 2020, 15:45:
Don't forget there are over 10 million more registered democrats than there are republicans.
First, 10 million more where? Second, just because they are registered doesn't mean they'll vote. Two Ds have already won the popular vote and lost in the EC twice in the last 20 years. As I have said before and many analysts have shown, the 2020 presidential election will come down to about nine states. Pennsylvania and Ohio are among them. I don't know if Biden (or any other D) could get those voters in western Penn. & eastern Ohio, but I know Sanders won't. And if you lose Pennsylvania and Ohio, you are very likely going to lose the EC college.
In simplified form.
“The time has come for us to move beyond seeing public health as the ax in the display case, where the sign says IN CASE OF EMERGENCY, BREAK GLASS.”

Feb 29, 2020, 19:28
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2020, 19:28
Feb 29, 2020, 19:28
 Cutter

Rectal Prolapse wrote on Feb 29, 2020, 18:03:
I was kinda thinking Mexico - especially after watching that Taco documentary on Netflix, and some other shows like Somebody Feed Phil and Rick Bayless and how much good food there is down there. I'd like to check out Oaxaca too. But as resorts go, any recs? One of the guys at the pub last night said the Mayan Riviera (?) is pretty sweet.

I don't really have a good suggestion for you - every time I go to Mexico either myself or my SO get massive food poisoning and end up out of commission for 3 to 4 days. Whatever you decide, bring *lots* of Imodium. At least a 12 pack. You may need to pop them like crack to minimize the projectile diarrhea.

Really? Wow! Any idea where you acquire it? Street vendors? The water maybe? Because all these shows - and stuff on Youtube - of people eating in Mexico, India, what have you, no one ever seems to get sick. The prevailing logic being that if people get sick because of your food you're going to go broke fast because no one will eat it.
"Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin…I don't know why I just said that. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but gonna stand by it. Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin! I'm owning it." - Rick Sanchez

Feb 29, 2020, 18:03
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2020, 18:03
Feb 29, 2020, 18:03

Feb 29, 2020, 18:01
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2020, 18:01
Feb 29, 2020, 18:01

Cutter wrote on Feb 29, 2020, 17:47:
It's just a question if you can believe the results and if the fix wasn't in from the outset. I wouldn't even be surprised to see some states talking about secession in earnest if Trumpco manages to steal it all again. I think as the conventions happen this summer and it edges ever closer to November it's gonna' be a shit show down there however this all plays out.
I don't believe there was any "fix". There were minor influences from various sources (Comey & the Russians) but there is no way to conclude those influences turned the election. They didn't help, but they may have been inconsequential. Your mention of it is the first time I have heard "vote blue no matter who". What I have heard is people saying if it isn't X, they I won't bother voting. Which is insane, but people are saying it. I'm not saying Bernie can't win, I am saying it will tough and at best, very close. Being an incumbent D or R is a big advantage. And unless the economy continues like it has this last week, the continuing bullish economy is nearly a death blow to any D. The election will turn on the respective turnout of voters in those nine states, and more specifically about 100 specific counties in those nine states. Anyone who claims they know how that will go is lying.
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

Feb 29, 2020, 17:47
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2020, 17:47
Feb 29, 2020, 17:47
 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 29, 2020, 16:01:
Don't forget there are over 10 million more registered democrats than there are republicans. And that doesn't even count the centrists. Those people you mention are a minority and they'd vote for Trump regardless if he killed and ate their children in front of them. Status quo centrism is over for the Dems. They need to embrace the left or keep losing. Gore, Hillary, perfect examples. Biden would end up losing hard, but not nearly as bad as Bloomberg, Steyer, or lil' Petey. Don't even know why Amy is sticking around at this point.
First, 10 million more where? Second, just because they are registered doesn't mean they'll vote. Two Ds have already won the popular vote and lost in the EC twice in the last 20 years. As I have said before and many analysts have shown, the 2020 presidential election will come down to about nine states. Pennsylvania and Ohio are among them. I don't know if Biden (or any other D) could get those voters in western Penn. & eastern Ohio, but I know Sanders won't. And if you lose Pennsylvania and Ohio, you are very likely going to lose the EC college.

In a normal election cycle I'd agree. This is anything but normal. And the refrain of 'Vote blue no matter who' I see everywhere. While a bunch of people would hate voting for whoever gets the nomination they'll hold their nose and do it because 'Stop Trump' is more important than who the candidate is right now. And if Trump can win, Bernie can win. No one thought Trump could even get the nomination much less win the Presidency. I remember Obama on Letterman - I think it was - and being all smug about it and said something to the effect of 'We're of course delighted with their choice' referring to the GOP picking Trump. And of course everyone laughed like it was a foregone conclusion at that point. American politics has changed forever now. I'd never say that anyone can't win XYZ political race in the US ever again.

"Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin…I don't know why I just said that. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but gonna stand by it. Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin! I'm owning it." - Rick Sanchez

Feb 29, 2020, 16:01
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2020, 16:01
Feb 29, 2020, 16:01

Don't forget there are over 10 million more registered democrats than there are republicans. And that doesn't even count the centrists. Those people you mention are a minority and they'd vote for Trump regardless if he killed and ate their children in front of them. Status quo centrism is over for the Dems. They need to embrace the left or keep losing. Gore, Hillary, perfect examples. Biden would end up losing hard, but not nearly as bad as Bloomberg, Steyer, or lil' Petey. Don't even know why Amy is sticking around at this point.

Feb 29, 2020, 15:48
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2020, 15:48
Feb 29, 2020, 15:48
 Cutter

Enh shit. A hawk just killed one of my critters in the backyard. Looked out the window and wondered what the hell it was so I walked over to the window and he up and flew off with something in his talons. Went out and there was just a tiny bit of blood in the snow, no feathers or fur, so it was a clean kill - which was at least merciful. Still, that's why I try and keep all their feeding spots in covered areas so they're not exposed when eating. Hawks gotta' eat too I suppose. Still sad. Nature is cruel. Just wish they'd leave my little guys alone. Not asking much.

Feb 29, 2020, 15:45
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2020, 15:45
Feb 29, 2020, 15:45
 Cutter

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 29, 2020, 14:38:
Cutter wrote on Feb 29, 2020, 14:14:
Great article on how Bernie will win the popular vote and EC. Booyah!

Bernie Sanders Can Beat Trump. Here’s the Math.
I'll only believe that if I see it happen. If he is the nominee, I hope he manages to do it.

That said, I don't see how he can win the swing states like Pennsylvania and Ohio. Western Penn. and eastern Ohio are in the middle of a boom due to... fracking. What does Bernie want to do? Ban all fracking. There is no way those areas are voting for him. And telling people he wants to eliminate all private health insurance isn't a winning strategy in the swing states.

Feb 29, 2020, 15:41
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2020, 15:41
Feb 29, 2020, 15:41
 Cutter

Oh yeah, since I'm moving my trip to Europe into the fall - hoping this coronavirus bullshit has blown over by then - I've decided to take off for a week down to the Caribbean or Mexico. Anyone have any suggestions? My mom and a lot of my family members go to Cuba all the time but they always say the food sucks.

Was thinking St. Lucia or Bermuda but they're expensive as fuck. Really want to keep it to a grand'ish. Definitely open to checking out one of the less traveled islands like Curacao or Antigua something. Someplace quiet, not party central.

Feb 29, 2020, 14:38
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2020, 14:38
Feb 29, 2020, 14:38

Cutter wrote on Feb 29, 2020, 14:14:

I'll only believe that if I see it happen. If he is the nominee, I hope he manages to do it.

That said, I don't see how he can win the swing states like Pennsylvania and Ohio. Western Penn. and eastern Ohio are in the middle of a boom due to... fracking. What does Bernie want to do? Ban all fracking. There is no way those areas are voting for him. And telling people he wants to eliminate all private health insurance isn't a winning strategy in the swing states.

Feb 29, 2020, 14:14
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2020, 14:14
Feb 29, 2020, 14:14
 Cutter

Feb 29, 2020, 14:13
Cutter

Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2020, 14:13
Feb 29, 2020, 14:13
 Cutter

So you're going to MSG? Does that mean you'll be staying in Manhattan for the evening? Party on, Wayne.

Evolution never fails to trip me out. Cool little moths.

And 70s gem The Swarm is on TCM atm. Strange coincidence after that bee attack story the other day.

Feb 29, 2020, 13:46
Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2020, 13:46
Feb 29, 2020, 13:46

The mad scientist in me wants to breed deaf moths with kangaroo rats.

The wolves of Norway meet an unsuspecting cougar. Amazing video that should be mixed with Enya's snow trip.

The more i learn about hand washing the less i know.

5 Ways To Prevent And Prepare For The Coronavirus.
Feb 29, 2020, 12:56
5 Ways To Prevent And Prepare For The Coronavirus. Feb 29, 2020, 12:56
Feb 29, 2020, 12:56

one cannot simultaneously prevent and prepare for war
albert einstein
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older