Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

I'm mostly caught up in the follow-up emails to try and connect participants in our new Supporter Campaign with their forum accounts, though I have a few bounces to work through. If you are one of our generous backers but have still not received a forum badge, please let me know. I cannot thank participants enough, as the response of this has exceeded expectations.

Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Links: What the cast of Babylon 5 is doing today.
Stories: Jungle Cruise boat sinks at Disney World, Twitter jokes rise to surface.
Coke and Pepsi sued for creating a plastic pollution ‘nuisance.’ Thanks RedEye9.
Science: Astronomers detect biggest explosion in the history of the Universe.
A World War I Vintage Helmet Bests A Modern Brain Bucket. Thanks RedEye9.
So, Amphibians Glow. Humans Just Couldn't See It—Until Now.
Media: A showdown for the ages - Pan vs Sniper.
Kangaroo Rats Are Furry, Spring-Loaded Ninjas.
Gymnastic's Coach Prevents an Injury. Thanks Boing Boing.
The Funnies: Comics by Jon Baker.
View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2020, 17:41  Kxmode 

Jivaro wrote on Mar 2, 2020, 11:07:
I wouldn't say Picard is the best Star Trek show ever, but it isn't half bad. It's different from the others and it sprinkles fan service in with the plot. It's better than I expected, I will give it that.

Just to clarify, I wrote, "Star Trek: Picard is honestly one of the best new Trek series." I'm not saying it is the best Star Trek show. I'm merely stating of the new breed of Trek shows (between the Star Trek reboot, Discovery and Picard) it is the best. It doesn't hold a candle to TNG and DS9. I don't think any series will.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 2, 2020, 11:07  Jivaro 

I wouldn't say Picard is the best Star Trek show ever, but it isn't half bad. It's different from the others and it sprinkles fan service in with the plot. It's better than I expected, I will give it that.  

26. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2020, 20:31  RedEye9 

Ant wrote on Mar 1, 2020, 20:19:
Picard is OK so far.
Friends is doing a reunion w/the old cast, Picard is no different except it's not based in New York. Is it too late for a M*A*S*H remake with the original cast.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

25. Re: Out of the Blue Mar 1, 2020, 20:19  Ant 

Kxmode wrote on Feb 29, 2020, 01:40:
Star Trek: Picard is honestly one of the best new Trek series! I'm not even kidding. It has plenty of nostalgia, moral dilemmas, closure, guest appearances by former Star Trek alumni, terrific acting by all, and a story that's engaging (see what I did there?). Scenes like this are just amazing.
Picard is OK so far.

Ant's Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) & The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.ma.cx / http://antfarm.home.dhs.org).

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2020, 08:12  Mr. Tact 

jdreyer wrote on Feb 29, 2020, 01:47:
Star Trek: Picard is honestly one of the best new Trek series! I'm not even kidding. It has plenty of nostalgia, moral dilemmas, closure, guest appearances by former Star Trek alumni, terrific acting by all, and a story that's engaging (see what I did there?). Scenes like this are just amazing.

Fascinating...

(see what I did there? )

I only watched the first two seasons of Voyager, so I still haven't seen any episodes with 7 of 9. I guess I'll need to catch up before watching Picard so scenes like that have context.
It is pretty straight forward, both of them are humans who were assimilated by the Borg and then freed from the collective.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2020, 06:35  Kxmode 

jdreyer wrote on Feb 29, 2020, 01:47:

Fascinating...

(see what I did there? )

I only watched the first two seasons of Voyager, so I still haven't seen any episodes with 7 of 9. I guess I'll need to catch up before watching Picard so scenes like that have context.

You don't need to watch all of Voyager. S03E26 is the season finale that introduces her to the series, and then all of Season 4 is where Seven assimilates into the crew (see what I did there?! ) Season 5 - 7 is a slow burn of her journey. It's not necessary.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2020, 02:53 Armengar

No mention of Bester. I know Walter Koenig was more of a cameo but Bester was my fav character.  

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2020, 01:47  jdreyer 

Fascinating...

(see what I did there? )

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 29, 2020, 01:40  Kxmode 

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2020, 15:11  Mr. Tact 

Blue wrote on Feb 28, 2020, 12:33:
He'll always be Bobby from Taxi for me.
Based on his quote on IMDB, he'd probably rather you didn't...

"[on leaving Taxi (1978)]: In 'Taxi,' I kept doing the same scene for three years. I was underused."

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2020, 15:08  Mr. Tact 

Cutter wrote on Feb 28, 2020, 13:17:
I also did not know this was based on a book series until Tact mentioned that yesterday. Are they worth the read?
*shrug* Tastes vary. I enjoyed the show so much I figured I'd read the book. They followed the book fairly closely, there were some differences but no big ones. Overall, I really liked the series, a fourth book came out last summer I am waiting for the paperback...

Edit: Looking more closely, it appears it was a graphic novel. Which might still be worth reading, but I would have preferred a new "normal" novel.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2020, 14:53  Primalchrome 

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 28, 2020, 12:39:
I had no idea he died at 60 from an overdose. Talk about a man who struggled.
I've tried to commit suicide 21 times. Mostly, it's been with pills.
His is a very sad story. He was on one season of Celebrity Rehab and it was gutwrenching to see how much the pills controlled him.

(edit : I loved B5.... "Hold the Line." )

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2020, 14:12  jdreyer 

"Vir, you moon-faced assassin of joy!"

Such a great show. I think S1 is my fav. I just prefer Michael O'hare over Bruce.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2020, 14:08 Verno

PHJF wrote on Feb 28, 2020, 11:30:
Color Out of Space is now available for rent. I'm gonna watch it tonight.

If you liked Mandy it's even more nuts, I thought it was very fucking weird and very good.

Playing: Days Gone
Watching: Altered Carbon

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2020, 13:48  MacLeod 

The Pyro wrote on Feb 28, 2020, 12:08:
MacLeod wrote on Feb 28, 2020, 11:56:
Michael O'Hare (Sinclair), Jerry Doyle (Garibaldi), Richard Biggs (Franklin), Stephen Furst (Vir), Andreas Katsulas (G'Kar)...

So many actors that played main characters on Babylon 5 have passed.

Alas, that list was not exhaustive: Jeff Conaway (Zack, security chief) has also passed.

I knew there was someone I was missing as I was typing it.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2020, 13:17  Cutter 

Anyone else watch some Altered Carbon S2 last night? Enh, not as good as S1 so far - only watched 3 eps. I'm also not a fan of Anthony Mackie so there's that too. It just seems way more convoluted and confusing than S1.

I also did not know this was based on a book series until Tact mentioned that yesterday. Are they worth the read?

"Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin…I don't know why I just said that. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but gonna stand by it. Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin! I'm owning it." - Rick Sanchez

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2020, 13:15  Cutter 

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 28, 2020, 12:10:
Alas, that list was not exhaustive: Jeff Conaway (Zack, security chief) has also passed.
Even though I am a B5 fan (I own the series DVDs) I still link Conaway more closely with Grease than with B5.

Everyone in that show was at their best for me they've ever been in anything, Devito and Hirsch in particular. And I had the hots for Marilu for the longest time. That was such a great show.

"Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin…I don't know why I just said that. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but gonna stand by it. Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin! I'm owning it." - Rick Sanchez

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2020, 12:39  RedEye9 

Even though I am a B5 fan (I own the series DVDs) I still link Conaway more closely with Grease than with B5.

I had no idea he died at 60 from an overdose. Talk about a man who struggled.
I've tried to commit suicide 21 times. Mostly, it's been with pills.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2020, 12:33  Blue 

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 28, 2020, 12:10  Mr. Tact 

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >