Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

As I mentioned last night, the response to our Support Campaign has been a pleasant surprise. To all of you who are choosing to participate, thanks so much for your help. I am very touched by the response and the nice comments that many have made along the way. So far a majority of you are using PayPal. This is fine, because as I said, it seems their cut is a bit smaller. Also, many are choosing one-time contributions over ongoing subscriptions. This is fine too, but often leaves a mystery over whether this should be represented by Gold, Silver, or Bronze forum badge for an appropriate period. I've been writing such users to ask their preferences, but in some cases have not yet received responses. To help with this, I've started trying to infer the most logical choice and written to explain this can be changed to match your intent. If you have made a lump contribution and have not received your correct forum badge, please check your email, or simply write me to clarify which level of badge you'd prefer, and we'll get it set up. Also, to reiterate a point I amended to yesterday's post about all this: It should be apparent from the above that connecting supporter's forum accounts to their pledges is a manual process, so please be patient if it takes a while. Especially for pledges that take place overnight. On the other hand, please do be sure to alert me if you fear your pledge has indeed fallen through the cracks. Thanks again for the support, you all are truly great.

Obituary: Hosni Mubarak: Former Egyptian President dies aged 91.

Grateful Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Links: The Most Influential Science-Fiction Books Of All Time.
Why America Is Losing The Toilet Race. Thanks Digg.
JIF vs. GIF- New Jif Peanut Butter jar addresses pronunciation debate.
Stories: A FedEx driver survived a 75-foot fall from a bridge.
Runner crawls for 8 hours in sub-freezing temperatures after injuring his leg on a trail.
Science: A billion-year-old seaweed fossil has completely rewritten ancient history. Thanks Acleacius.
Scientists discover first known animal that doesn't breathe.
The real ‘paleo diet’ may have been full of toxic metals. Thanks Max.
Media: Star Wars: The High Republic - Announcement Trailer.
Two More "Westworld" S3 Hidden Trailers.
A visit to the world's oldest surviving video rental store.
Follow-up: H1N1 Was The Last Pandemic. Here's Why COVID-19 Isn't Yet In That Category. Thanks RedEye9.
Vanessa Bryant sues helicopter operator in Kobe Bryant crash.
The Enduring, Understated Brilliance of ‘Better Call Saul.’ Thanks Yiddish.
View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Why America Is Losing The Toilet Race. Feb 26, 2020, 08:19 Verno

Sepharo wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 19:11:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 18:39:
wtf_man wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 17:51:
Beamer wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 13:47:
...or install those ones that go into existing toilets.

Ewe. Puke
I’ve pulled toilets, played with other peoples crystallized urine, plunged things plugged by other peoples insides, and smeared wax rings.
Payday is Friday, shit don’t run uphill and the most important of all Don’t Bite Your Fingernails
I bartended at a hole in the wall and some reprobate missed the toilet, plopping 2 cups of mud between the seat and tank. I said eff that and a regular who had 2 kids at home hopped up and took care of it, he’d seen worse.
He had money, twasn‘t like he couldn’t afford the free beers I gave him. But alas I was younger and smarter back then.

You got a customer to clean a destroyed toilet?

You should be in sales.

Sounds like a /r/ThatHappened story Devilish

Playing: Days Gone
Watching: Altered Carbon
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2020, 21:26  Mr. Tact 

Poshmark, one of my favorite commercials to hate -- get free cash, just sell your $10,000 worth of clothes for $1,000!  

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

26. Re: Star Wars: The High Republic - Announcement Trailer Feb 25, 2020, 21:07  Beamer 

jdreyer wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 18:28:
Beamer wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 13:44:
I have $212 in Paypal that is "delayed being released."

Frustrating and dumb. Though, worst case, they claim I'll have it by early March.
Missed a few BMW payments Beamer?

I'll never use that cash, so this is the right way.

Sold something on poshmark earlier this month, but since I'd never sold anything, it's on hold. I use PayPal like once a year... This just seems an ideal way to clear out that account.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2020, 21:00  Wolfen 

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 20:10:
Wolfen wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 18:54:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 18:37:
Thanks for the update Wolfen . My tourism-dependent city had an infected couple come through a week or so ago, so waiting for the other shoe to drop this week. If we get an outbreak, I'll definitely work from home for several weeks and keep the kids home. Probably go shopping at midnight to avoid crowds.

Very good idea. Once it gets out as we have seen with Italy and obviously China it can quickly get out of hand. Best to be cautious.

Wash your hands often, disinfect things, n95's are good for protecting yourself and others while a standard surgical mask helps protect others from you. N95's if properly worn and sealed are only really bearable for about half an hour though.
Wear clear, cheap safety glasses, Dont touch your face and Don’t touch the outside of the mask as it has all the things on it you were trying to avoid.

This too! Safety glasses obviously to avoid those sneeze and cough particles that make the extra distance.

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2020, 20:10  RedEye9 

Wolfen wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 18:54:
Thanks for the update Wolfen . My tourism-dependent city had an infected couple come through a week or so ago, so waiting for the other shoe to drop this week. If we get an outbreak, I'll definitely work from home for several weeks and keep the kids home. Probably go shopping at midnight to avoid crowds.

Very good idea. Once it gets out as we have seen with Italy and obviously China it can quickly get out of hand. Best to be cautious.

Wash your hands often, disinfect things, n95's are good for protecting yourself and others while a standard surgical mask helps protect others from you. N95's if properly worn and sealed are only really bearable for about half an hour though.
Wear clear, cheap safety glasses, Dont touch your face and Don’t touch the outside of the mask as it has all the things on it you were trying to avoid.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

23. Re: Why America Is Losing The Toilet Race. Feb 25, 2020, 19:11 Sepharo

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 18:39:

Ewe. Puke
I’ve pulled toilets, played with other peoples crystallized urine, plunged things plugged by other peoples insides, and smeared wax rings.
Payday is Friday, shit don’t run uphill and the most important of all Don’t Bite Your Fingernails
I bartended at a hole in the wall and some reprobate missed the toilet, plopping 2 cups of mud between the seat and tank. I said eff that and a regular who had 2 kids at home hopped up and took care of it, he’d seen worse.
He had money, twasn‘t like he couldn’t afford the free beers I gave him. But alas I was younger and smarter back then.

You got a customer to clean a destroyed toilet?

You should be in sales.

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2020, 18:56  jdreyer 

The real ‘paleo diet’ may have been full of toxic metals

One thing I have never understood about the Paleo diet is why you would want to eat the same way as a people who died at an average age of 35.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2020, 18:54  Wolfen 

20. Re: Why America Is Losing The Toilet Race. Feb 25, 2020, 18:39  RedEye9 

Ewe. Puke

Vaccines Cause Immunity

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2020, 18:37  jdreyer 

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

18. Re: Star Wars: The High Republic - Announcement Trailer Feb 25, 2020, 18:28  jdreyer 

Beamer wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 13:44:

Frustrating and dumb. Though, worst case, they claim I'll have it by early March.
Missed a few BMW payments Beamer?

17. Re: Why America Is Losing The Toilet Race. Feb 25, 2020, 17:51  wtf_man 

Ewe. Puke

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2020, 16:48  Wolfen 

COVID-19 My Shanghai update. I don't want to debate about numbers as there is obviously room for that when it comes to the honesty of the CCP historically.

What I do want to talk about or tell you is yet another update from my view in Shanghai. Mainly because it's fairly significant.

The roads are practically back to normal with the amount of people. Though this could be attributed to those returning to work also taking their cars now rather than the public transportation. A Chinese co-worker had mentioned there was a lot of talk on the social media in China about that. For obvious reasons (and if not, to avoid crowded virus infested areas).

Some of the shops and bars in my area are being given the go ahead to either re-open or be allowed to deliver again (these were non-essentials places, vape shops, bars, electronics stores, etc)

Most of the people are back in my office aside from those still stranded outside the country or in other provinces, cities. Our company still has not a single report of the virus out of the close to 2000 people world wide. A large chunk of that being here in China in a few different studios and provinces.

Still doing temp checks and wearing masks. Even the re-opening of my favorite bar is going to be requiring these things. That's the one stipulation they were given.

I can't wait till this all blows over. I mean it sounds like a first world problem but I really do miss getting my goods and foods delivered to my door and not having to have my temp checked every time I step outside for a deadly smoke and come back in.

Schools however are still closed but in Shanghai if I didn't mention before is on mandatory online schooling now. That either starts this week or beginning of March and is of course not been given an official end date. Makes sense. Want to wait till it's all truly blown over. Because while the numbers indicate a flattening out and even a bit of decline in new cases even in Hubei we just don't know what's going to happen. It could re-surge for all we know. Especially with all this intermingling going on now. That's got me more nervous really. The risk goes up as the quarantines start ending and more people are around.

Anyway, that's it. Time to go make coffee and head over to reddit now that I am caught up on blues this morning.

15. Re: Why America Is Losing The Toilet Race. Feb 25, 2020, 16:48  Burrito of Peace 

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 15:49:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 14:02:
You can install one, or install those ones that go into existing toilets. When I was at Amazon, we sold those by the truckload - I was pretty certain we'd sold 3 per toilet in the US.

You certainly can. The problem is that most of the US doesn't know they exist. Our next home is going to be a full custom build with bidets in all three bathrooms.
I know they exist but have never seen or used one.
That may change as I am at the age where I no longer can trust a fart and I never waste a hard on.

Regardless of one's age, one should not waste tumescence.

But you should really try one out if you can find one (albeit they are as rare as unicorns in our rather backwards state).

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

14. Re: Why America Is Losing The Toilet Race. Feb 25, 2020, 15:49  RedEye9 

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 14:02:
You can install one, or install those ones that go into existing toilets. When I was at Amazon, we sold those by the truckload - I was pretty certain we'd sold 3 per toilet in the US.

You certainly can. The problem is that most of the US doesn't know they exist. Our next home is going to be a full custom build with bidets in all three bathrooms.
I know they exist but have never seen or used one.
That may change as I am at the age where I no longer can trust a fart and I never waste a hard on.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 25, 2020, 15:34  jdreyer 

Darks wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 12:06:
I donated Blues!!

WOOT.

12. Re: Why America Is Losing The Toilet Race. Feb 25, 2020, 14:02  Burrito of Peace 

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

11. Re: Why America Is Losing The Toilet Race. Feb 25, 2020, 13:47  Beamer 

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 13:45:
America's sanitation systems are abysmal and barbaric. The fact that we still don't have bidets is laughably embarrassing.

Use one, you'll understand, and never want to go back to how we do it here in the US again.

-------------

10. Why America Is Losing The Toilet Race. Feb 25, 2020, 13:45  Burrito of Peace 

America's sanitation systems are abysmal and barbaric. The fact that we still don't have bidets is laughably embarrassing.

Use one, you'll understand, and never want to go back to how we do it here in the US again.

9. Re: Star Wars: The High Republic - Announcement Trailer Feb 25, 2020, 13:44  Beamer 

-------------

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >