Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Op Ed

• PC Gamer - Corporate satire in games isn't funny anymore. Thanks Yiddish.
    "I quickly found the 'aren't big companies bad, haha' brand of jokes tiresome. Meanwhile, Journey to the Savage Planet's jests rubbed me up the wrong way, in precisely the same way. Like the factory workers of Edgewater, the explorers scouring the galaxy for humanity's next habitable planet on behalf of Kindred Aerospace are also treated as expendable property. After a laundry list of potential risks its staff could contract, ranging from nausea, feelings of emptiness, and death, travellers are urged in the event of an emergency to 'contact your Kindred representative as soon as possible' with the caveat: 'current rescue times exceed six months'."
View
22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

22. Re: Op Ed Feb 26, 2020, 07:25 Numinar

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 24, 2020, 18:36:
I found both Savage Planet and Outer Wilds.. Worlds.. whatever... extremely unfun.. so yeah. The problem with these games isn't the fictional corporations, it's the abysmal writing

Also it can't be just me, right? I can't remember what that Outer... whatever game was actually named... that's how.. impactful the story was

You and Everyone should play Outer Wilds. If it's not the best game I've ever played it's in the top 5 for sure. Kerbal meets Monkey Island... or maybe more subnautica but no inventory and amazing writing.

The Outer Worlds also outdid Bethesda for being something I can respect the artistry in, and the characters were pretty awesome, but only managed to finish a percentage of it before getting bored of the shtick like with every game like this since Fallout 4. It's sad that these two games get confused because one is aping an established and popular style with enough success that it's a victim of it and the other is something phenomenally unique.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

21. Re: Op Ed Feb 25, 2020, 07:46  Beamer 

Jonjonz wrote on Feb 25, 2020, 06:43:
Duh, what part of dystopian society run by immortal corporations doesn't this snowflake understand?

It is not satire, it's not supposed to be funny, it is just painting fairly accurately how going to space does not mean instant STNG, utopia.

Him: it's not funny

You: it's not funny, snowflake!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

20. Re: Op Ed Feb 25, 2020, 06:43 Jonjonz

Duh, what part of dystopian society run by immortal corporations doesn't this snowflake understand?

It is not satire, it's not supposed to be funny, it is just painting fairly accurately how going to space does not mean instant STNG, utopia.

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

19. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2020, 20:17  Cutter 

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 24, 2020, 18:36:
I found both Savage Planet and Outer Wilds.. Worlds.. whatever... extremely unfun.. so yeah. The problem with these games isn't the fictional corporations, it's the abysmal writing

Also it can't be just me, right? I can't remember what that Outer... whatever game was actually named... that's how.. impactful the story was

Correct. I thought OW was pretty bleh. Dropped it around halfway through - I guess. Didn't care for the visuals and combat at all either.

"Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin…I don't know why I just said that. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but gonna stand by it. Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin! I'm owning it." - Rick Sanchez

18. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2020, 19:19 HorrorScope

Spektr wrote on Feb 24, 2020, 13:06:
HorrorScope wrote on Feb 24, 2020, 12:46:
We should feel some sadness and who's to say it was meant to be funny? In Outer Worlds it is meant to hit you between the eyes, no joke. Yes it is sad, we need to do better with how Corps are ruling us.

Totally. well apparently we know where that paper is coming from if the author thinks the most worrying thing is corporation being mocked, we can tell what interests he is representing and it's not gamers.

PC Gamer really has been on the corp side at the very least lately, new form of paidr advertisement. Humor is to make fun of and there are way less deserving punching bags that have been shat on for years in the name of a joke. Corps are becoming the true snowflakes, they get protections of a human and aren't capable of being laughed at, just great.

17. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2020, 18:36 eRe4s3r

This comment was edited on Feb 24, 2020, 18:51.

16. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2020, 18:27 Slashman

What's worrying is some of the comments on PC Gamer from people who drink the koolaid that corps are benevolent and just want to to distribute hugs to us all.

15. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2020, 17:45 ChaosEngine

Totally. well apparently we know where that paper is coming from if the author thinks the most worrying thing is corporation being mocked, we can tell what interests he is representing and it's not gamers.

Did you read the article at all?

He's not worried about the corporation being mocked, he's saying that it's not funny because "big corporations are immoral" has gone from a cautionary tale to a fact.

Now, personally, I disagree about whether that's funny, because a) humour is subjective and b) satire is supposed to mock the current state.

But he's definitely not defending corporations.

14. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2020, 17:01  Jivaro 

There is a little truth in most jokes. There is a lot of truth in most satire. *shrug*  

13. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2020, 16:14  Cutter 

Good satire is incredibly difficult to do at the best of times. It's generally more miss than hit. Unless you're really good at it, don't do it.

"Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin…I don't know why I just said that. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but gonna stand by it. Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin! I'm owning it." - Rick Sanchez

12. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2020, 14:58  Prez 

I agree that it isn't satire - it's commentary on how things are and where they are going. In "The Outer Worlds" you take a quest where a worker is in debt because their co-worker committed suicide, which is illegal because it is destruction of company property and the remaining workers have to reimburse the company for it. It's over the top, but who really doubts that corporations would take it this far if they weren't held in check by laws and regulations? Maybe it isn't meant to be taken as funny.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

11. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2020, 13:40  jdreyer 

Beamer wrote on Feb 24, 2020, 12:42:
ldonyo wrote on Feb 24, 2020, 12:25:
Maybe it wasn't meant as satire. Someone sure got a twist in their knickers over something pretty trivial, though.

If you read, they think the satire isn't biting anymore, because it's more describing reality with some degree of accuracy, rather than future, absurd predictions.
In other words, Poe's Law.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

10. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2020, 13:21 aka_STEVE

Satire -> turns into irony -> turns into truth ( in this case )

This is even less funny...

9. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2020, 13:20  El Pit 

I agree that what some companies pull off is definitely NOT funny. And should therefore be absolutely be targeted in satires (movies, literature, games, stand-up comedy - wherever possible).  

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

8. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2020, 13:10  RedEye9 

We should feel some sadness and who's to say it was meant to be funny? In Outer Worlds it is meant to hit you between the eyes, no joke. Yes it is sad, we need to do better with how Corps are ruling us.

insert < Leave Britney Spears Corporations ALONE. > meme

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

7. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2020, 13:06 Spektr

6. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2020, 12:49  Burrito of Peace 

I get what the author is saying but I think he's overreacting a bit. Satire is often about mocking the present. Continuing to mock and point out the shitty state of current conditions is necessary because, honestly, some people need to be whalloped over the head with the clue hammer to obtain one.

We know the world is shit. We know just how fucked most every human being is.

If you wanted something fresh, start mocking the piss out of the apathy of the average individual too lazy, disinterested, and distracted to do anything on their part to change it in addition to mocking how we've returned right back to serfdom and corporations own and, in the background, run everything.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

5. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2020, 12:46 HorrorScope

4. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2020, 12:42  Beamer 

ldonyo wrote on Feb 24, 2020, 12:25:
Maybe it wasn't meant as satire. Someone sure got a twist in their knickers over something pretty trivial, though.

If you read, they think the satire isn't biting anymore, because it's more describing reality with some degree of accuracy, rather than future, absurd predictions.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2020, 12:39  Kxmode 

You know what isn't funny, corporations releasing an unfinished product, and justifying this with consumers who paid a lot of money with out-of-touch comments like "It's not how you launch, it's what it becomes." (Todd Howard for Fallout 76) or "This is fine. This is great. ... It's about a big, bold statement of where we are going." (Stadia's head of gamer experience Andrey Doronichev)  

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

22 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >