Newer [  1  ] Older

Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode
Feb 24, 2020, 13:17
Slick

Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Feb 24, 2020, 13:17
Feb 24, 2020, 13:17
 Slick

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 24, 2020, 07:47:
Folders to sort items? What is this, 1990?

Tag a file and, since it doesn't matter where it resides on any drive, search by tag. All files with the matching tag show up in less than two seconds. If you wanted to be super pedantic about it, multi-tag the files and narrow your search criteria that way.

I have a .json config file that will make my tag software autotag so about 90% of the work is automated.

I use tags for my active crates, but I love the simplicity of the 1990 way of doing things. Still 10x easier and more efficient than using auto-sorting middleware programs.
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Feb 24, 2020, 07:47
Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Feb 24, 2020, 07:47
Feb 24, 2020, 07:47

Folders to sort items? What is this, 1990?

Tag a file and, since it doesn't matter where it resides on any drive, search by tag. All files with the matching tag show up in less than two seconds. If you wanted to be super pedantic about it, multi-tag the files and narrow your search criteria that way.

I have a .json config file that will make my tag software autotag so about 90% of the work is automated.
"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

Feb 24, 2020, 03:37
Re: Skyrim Creation Club Launches with Survival Mode Feb 24, 2020, 03:37
Feb 24, 2020, 03:37

JTW wrote on Feb 24, 2020, 00:52:
At which point I installed Playnite (which is free) and ran everything through there. It isn't a launcher, it's just a library consolidator, letting you see everything on all of the services in one place. A also set up an automated backup of the Playnite files every day, just in case.
Playnite is VERY nice. But don't buy it on Steam

Re: Evening Legal Briefs
Feb 24, 2020, 02:35
Slick

Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2020, 02:35
Feb 24, 2020, 02:35
 Slick

I'm just severely prejudiced against these kind of "organizers" because I've been DJing for over 20 years, and I witnessed the rise of iTunes, which just does it's' own automated sorting which to me make NO SENSE AT ALL.

I want to have 100% control over my crates, and my playlists. I can make my own folders that make sense to me, then it just always works. I maintain 100% control over my library, I can back it up with a quick Ctrl+C Ctrl+V, and it will never stop working. All real DJs I know do the same thing, we all hate the iTunes automated sorting nonsense.

In the same vein, you could make playlists or subfolders with shortcuts to whatever games you want. If you REALLY want you can even just make a subfolder for all your Steam, uPlay, Origin, GoG, EGG, Blizzard, Rockstar games seperately, BUT WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU!? That to me is the "dumb" iTunes sorting that I can't stand. I don't need to know or care what store I bought ANYTHING from, let alone a videogame. I'll sort by date installed, genre, studio, or just by title. EASY!

And any extra layer of program that offers some "sorting" or "organizing" feature is just one extra layer of redundancy. I do all of that for a collection of tens of thousands of songs in Windows already. Anything else is just pretending to give you control, when really they're just another layer of bullshit to wade through. Keep it hands on and control your own sorting in the most direct way possible. All Steam is doing anyways is linking to a launch shortcut! Just cut out the middleman and get the launch shortcut!

#Triggered
For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring. -RedEye9

Re: Evening Legal Briefs
Feb 24, 2020, 00:52
JTW
Re: Evening Legal Briefs Feb 24, 2020, 00:52
Feb 24, 2020, 00:52
JTW

I used to do that. I imported everything into Steam, then categorized and organized them all so I could find exactly what I wanted. Until about the third time Steam hiccupped and deleted the whole shebang. My entire game library across the various platforms if probably ~1000+ titles, so it was a crapload of lost work every time.

At which point I installed Playnite (which is free) and ran everything through there. It isn't a launcher, it's just a library consolidator, letting you see everything on all of the services in one place. A also set up an automated backup of the Playnite files every day, just in case.

Re: etc.
Feb 23, 2020, 19:22
Re: etc. Feb 23, 2020, 19:22
Feb 23, 2020, 19:22

Slick wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 18:39:
ahahahahahAHAHAHAHA

So I need to launch Steam, to be able to launch another store, so I can launch the game. CONVENIENCE!

You guys know you can just make a bunch of desktop shortcuts of all your games and throw then in a folder on your desktop right? Have you heard of the Windows operating system? It's almost as if double-clicking a shortcut (while the correct store will automatically open and launch the game in the background) has been forgotten to the ages. It's amazing what you can do, you can make a playlist of game shortcuts any way you want, you can make an FPS folder, a Single-player folder, and RPG folder, and indie game folder, FOLDERS WITHIN FOLDERS! The possibilities are limitless!

We all already play on the same platform, it's called the personal computer. Stop making things more complicated than they need to be. If you are worried about too much headache because you only know how to launch games from the (OMG) 5 or 6 launchers on your desktop, then you really a refresher course in basic computer OS functionality.

Next they'll tell us that there's an app on your phone that you have to 2FA that will launch Steam on your computer, so then you can launch Uplay, so THEN you can launch the game. Or just double-click on a shortcut on your OS and literally never give a fuck about what store opens in the background ever again.

IMPOSSIBRUUUU!!!!

Sorry RedEye, this is too funny to me, and I know my tone is more than enough for everyone to discount my thoughts, but goddamn, fucking hilarious.
Absolutely no offense taken. I was pretty sure everyone knew this feature existed, but who can resist posting a link to pcgamer - the only link being more worthless would be wccftech.
Oh by the way, i think we're dating now
A mask is not a political statement.
It's an IQ test.
It's a compassion test.
It's a decency test.
It's a social responsibility test.

Feb 23, 2020, 18:58
Re: etc. Feb 23, 2020, 18:58
Feb 23, 2020, 18:58

It's not the amount of stores. It's the amount of effin' spyware / drm launchers.
Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

Feb 23, 2020, 18:39
Slick

Re: etc. Feb 23, 2020, 18:39
Feb 23, 2020, 18:39
 Slick

ahahahahahAHAHAHAHA

So I need to launch Steam, to be able to launch another store, so I can launch the game. CONVENIENCE!

You guys know you can just make a bunch of desktop shortcuts of all your games and throw then in a folder on your desktop right? Have you heard of the Windows operating system? It's almost as if double-clicking a shortcut (while the correct store will automatically open and launch the game in the background) has been forgotten to the ages. It's amazing what you can do, you can make a playlist of game shortcuts any way you want, you can make an FPS folder, a Single-player folder, and RPG folder, and indie game folder, FOLDERS WITHIN FOLDERS! The possibilities are limitless!

We all already play on the same platform, it's called the personal computer. Stop making things more complicated than they need to be. If you are worried about too much headache because you only know how to launch games from the (OMG) 5 or 6 launchers on your desktop, then you really a refresher course in basic computer OS functionality.

Next they'll tell us that there's an app on your phone that you have to 2FA that will launch Steam on your computer, so then you can launch Uplay, so THEN you can launch the game. Or just double-click on a shortcut on your OS and literally never give a fuck about what store opens in the background ever again.

IMPOSSIBRUUUU!!!!

Sorry RedEye, this is too funny to me, and I know my tone is more than enough for everyone to discount my thoughts, but goddamn, fucking hilarious.
8 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
Newer [  1  ] Older