Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Op Ed

• PC Gamer - As anger over the Epic Store subsides, what's next?
    "With over 100 million users now building libraries on the Epic Store, and a billion Steam accounts already in existence, how Valve and Epic work together, if at all, feels like the next stage in this story. If some of my friends are going to reject the Epic Store entirely, and others like me are going to have both Steam and Epic libraries, I'd love for those friends lists and multiplayer functions to talk to each other. That's something Epic CEO Tim Sweeney expressed interest in when I spoke to him at GDC last year, where he suggested that platform social features ought to be more like email: tyler@steam should be able to talk to james@epic. But as with crossplay, this is the sort of thing you'd expect to hear from the company that doesn't own a majority of the market. Meanwhile, Discord becomes more useful with every new platform.

Any hopes of total platform unification ought to be abandoned, though, as it seems like our libraries will only get more divided. Rockstar clearly wants more people to use its launcher, and Bethesda's got one now, too. One of the most surprising things about Amazon's upcoming MMO, New World, is that it's releasing on Steam and not some new Amazon launcher. Steam just isn't the assumed default now."
View
56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

56. Re: Op Ed Feb 25, 2020, 13:25 chickenboo

I admit I'm developing my own sense of ambivalence about the problem as well. I have yet to create an account or accept any of the free games from EGS, but it is interesting to see how games I'd normally have strongly considered buying which released on EGS have now been forgotten, Mech 5 Mercs as case in point.
GOG Galaxy 2.0 is the real news.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

55. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2020, 15:31 Nullity

Slick wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 02:37:
1) Exclusives for a store is FAR less insidious than exclusives for a whole platform. Go ahead, get 1/10th as mad at Playstation or Xbox exclusives. Oh wait, no one cares.
Whatiaboutism, and completely irrelevant.

Slick wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 02:37:
I don't have to buy a second PC to play games from a different store, i just have to double-click a different icon on my desktop.
Straw man. While yes, I'm sure there are a few people who genuinely refuse to use anything but Steam, the vast majority of people who are opposed to EGS feel that way due to their shitty practices, and for the most part, don't actually care which launcher they use.

(Or at least in principle, I'm sure most would prefer to use the software that contains more useful features. And yes, that was a well-deserved dig at the sorry state of EGS, especially after so much time.)

Please, try to keep the logical fallacies to a minimum.

54. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2020, 13:39  Beamer 

jdreyer wrote on Feb 24, 2020, 13:31:
Beamer wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 13:51:
Yeah, shovelware was not coined at Microsoft's expense. And I generally find it best to not listen to people on a topic they say things like "M$" for. It is a credibility killer. It's a way of saying "I hate something so much that my thoughts aren't going to be fully thought out, and I probably believe things I shouldn't due to confirmation bias."

Just a note to people - it's an easy thing to avoid, and keeps you more credible.
What if I call them "Microshaft," "Microshit," or "Microslut" instead? Will that help my credibility?

Ha!
I mean, there are, like, 3 posters here that generally do that. Acleacius otherwise has nothing in common with them.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

53. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2020, 13:31  jdreyer 

Yeah, shovelware was not coined at Microsoft's expense. And I generally find it best to not listen to people on a topic they say things like "M$" for. It is a credibility killer. It's a way of saying "I hate something so much that my thoughts aren't going to be fully thought out, and I probably believe things I shouldn't due to confirmation bias."

Just a note to people - it's an easy thing to avoid, and keeps you more credible.
What if I call them "Microshaft," "Microshit," or "Microslut" instead? Will that help my credibility?

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

52. Re: Op Ed Feb 24, 2020, 09:11 Acleacius

HorrorScope wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 21:28:
killer_roach wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 14:37:
The real question is why Valve is entitled to 30% of my gaming money

That's not an entitlement, it is a contract and this is business.
Not to mention it pays for the largest gaming store on the planet. It pays for the largest gaming server network on the planet. It pays for one of the, if not the largest gaming chat system on the planet. And security for all those and more.

killer_roach,it's called taxes. Unless you believe the world was magically here for you when you were born. All the roads and infrastructure, all the doctors, nurses, firemen, police, ambulance emts, engineers, scientists and teachers magically educated that keep the society "you live in" working long before you were born and long after you die. No society exists without taxes in any city, in any state, in any country, on any planet, in any universe or any dimension.

epic is like a drug dealer giving away free drugs, with no care the damage they cause, as long as you become their customer.

“The failure of normal empathy, is central to sociopathy, which is marked by an absence of guilt, intentional manipulation and controlling or even sadistically harming others for personal power or gratification.”

51. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2020, 22:30 Sepharo

killer_roach wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 21:56:

"You can buy whatever you want - so long as it's from this one place and at the terms they dictate!"

That's not business; that's a market failure.

<fry squint>

50. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2020, 21:56 killer_roach

"You can buy whatever you want - so long as it's from this one place and at the terms they dictate!"

That's not business; that's a market failure.

49. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2020, 21:28 HorrorScope

48. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2020, 19:07 Acleacius

Beamer wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 16:34:
Acleacius wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 15:38:

Nah, I would rather express it accurately with flourish, even though I'm willing to be corrected. m$ has a legacy of bulling at the least.
A History of Anticompetitive Behavior and Consumer Harm

But if you feel I've been judging them unfairly compared to that legacy, maybe it's you?
Also I don't need stinky credibility! Ahoy

You can't deny being unfair to them when you literally posted something false to try to prove your point (not claiming it was done intentionally or maliciously.) Not that they are owed anything, but being accurate is helpful.

Regardless, whether you are talking Microsoft, a politician, or just a boss you dislike, coming up with cutesy names to try to demean them make you seem like a walking Trump tweet. Rather than seeming objective, you seem untrustworthy.

General life advise.
I understand what your saying, and don't disagree in some settings like a legally binding statement. However in general I'm not intending to be a litigator and when I give information it's best of my memory att.

I still say your overreacting in this causal conversation forum. Nor do I believe I'm encroaching on trumpism of deliberate misinformation and sheer stupidity.
I'm mocking corporation because of corruption and I happen to personally like the name mockery, as a symbol of corruption over morality.

As I'm not advocating anyone else use it, nor am I using it out of hypocrisy, it clearly passes the morality filter, imo. Innocent

Lastly, they were accused of shovelware on consoles, all I got wrong was the origin of the phrase. So I'm not really aware how it really affects or effects any measure of fairness. Paperbag

“The failure of normal empathy, is central to sociopathy, which is marked by an absence of guilt, intentional manipulation and controlling or even sadistically harming others for personal power or gratification.”

47. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2020, 18:31  Jivaro 

My curiosity is piqued by Epic. I know they are aware that their store has to do more then give free games if they want to be competitive in the future. I am more then willing to just keeping taking all the free games in the mean time.  

46. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2020, 16:34  Beamer 

Acleacius wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 15:38:

Nah, I would rather express it accurately with flourish, even though I'm willing to be corrected. m$ has a legacy of bulling at the least.

But if you feel I've been judging them unfairly compared to that legacy, maybe it's you?

You can't deny being unfair to them when you literally posted something false to try to prove your point (not claiming it was done intentionally or maliciously.) Not that they are owed anything, but being accurate is helpful.

Regardless, whether you are talking Microsoft, a politician, or just a boss you dislike, coming up with cutesy names to try to demean them make you seem like a walking Trump tweet. Rather than seeming objective, you seem untrustworthy.

General life advise.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

45. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2020, 15:59  Prez 

LOL poor wittle victims Slick and Redeye. I'll start a Gofundme to help with all of the pain and suffering being such put upon victims has caused you.

Slick posted that because he was (correctly) called out as an EA shill - his signature was the result of being butthurt. You're in good company.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

44. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2020, 15:56  RedEye9 

For your transgressions you shall be labeled a shill, called an idiot and anytime you mention facts or disagree with a tribe member you will henceforth be known as a troll. The best you can hope for is that the labels won't haunt your offspring.
Original Post by RedEye9

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

43. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2020, 15:48  Prez 

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 15:46:
Prez wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 15:29:
You have the nerve to mention crunch while being an Epic shill when Epic is one of the worst offenders when it comes to abusing its own employees. Par for the course for you.

I choose which developers I support and how. I have mentioned in other threads that the one game I bought from EGS was "The Outer Worlds " because I love Obsidian and I wanted to reward them for sticking with making solid single player games in a day when it's all about live services and microtransactions. That's my choice. You have literally no say in how I choose to spend or not spend my money.
And nor do I care how you spend your money or who you support. Mandatory “shill” comment, thanks for supporting Epic w/your purchase.

You’re 2 for 3, now call me an idiot lest Slicks signature won’t be correct and we’ll call it a day.

So in other words you have literally no argument except to continue posting nonsense. It's telling that you pick Slick of all people to idolize.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

42. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2020, 15:46  RedEye9 

Prez wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 15:29:
You have the nerve to mention crunch while being an Epic shill when Epic is one of the worst offenders when it comes to abusing its own employees. Par for the course for you.

I choose which developers I support and how. I have mentioned in other threads that the one game I bought from EGS was "The Outer Worlds " because I love Obsidian and I wanted to reward them for sticking with making solid single player games in a day when it's all about live services and microtransactions. That's my choice. You have literally no say in how I choose to spend or not spend my money.
And nor do I care how you spend your money or who you support. Mandatory “shill” comment, thanks for supporting Epic w/your purchase.

You’re 2 for 3, now call me an idiot lest Slicks signature won’t be correct and we’ll call it a day.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

41. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2020, 15:43  Prez 

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 15:38:
Prez wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 15:04:
Prez wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 13:57:
The real question is "Why would I choose Epic over Steam?"

The real question is why Valve is entitled to 30% of my gaming money just because they were ahead on the market. Nothing they did was particularly novel; and it could be argued that they're still struggling to implement things their customers have been asking for over fifteen years.

I get it; Valve has a pretty sizable amount of goodwill in the gamer community. But that doesn't require them to have the market to themselves. It's possible they will continue to have an outsized role in that space even with competition; but it seems like people seem to get outraged over the idea that Valve, God forbid, actually has to work to make their product and service better.

Totally agree. Which is why wish Epic was better. Everything wrong with Steam could be fixed if they were forced to improve by actual competition. The way Epic is operating now, Valve seems to figure that they can just wait them out.
They didn’t wait very long.
Ease up on the revisionist history.

Dec 4, 2018
Epic Games is launching its own store, and taking a smaller cut than Steam

December 4, 2018
Steam Lowering Its Cut of Developer Revenues… for the Richest

Now what in the world made them decide to make this paltry move.

Wow you could make a career in false comparisons. Giving the most money for the developers whose games sell the best is ass-backwards and should be lamented, not applauded. I've criticized Steam for this because it ought to be an across the board cut. Why give more money to the developers that need it the least? Is that really all you can point to as being a positive change in response to Epic's new platform? That's pretty lame.

- Mahatma Gandhi

40. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2020, 15:38  RedEye9 

Prez wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 15:04:
Prez wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 13:57:
The real question is "Why would I choose Epic over Steam?"

The real question is why Valve is entitled to 30% of my gaming money just because they were ahead on the market. Nothing they did was particularly novel; and it could be argued that they're still struggling to implement things their customers have been asking for over fifteen years.

I get it; Valve has a pretty sizable amount of goodwill in the gamer community. But that doesn't require them to have the market to themselves. It's possible they will continue to have an outsized role in that space even with competition; but it seems like people seem to get outraged over the idea that Valve, God forbid, actually has to work to make their product and service better.

Totally agree. Which is why wish Epic was better. Everything wrong with Steam could be fixed if they were forced to improve by actual competition. The way Epic is operating now, Valve seems to figure that they can just wait them out.
They didn’t wait very long.
Ease up on the revisionist history.

Dec 4, 2018
Epic Games is launching its own store, and taking a smaller cut than Steam

December 4, 2018
Steam Lowering Its Cut of Developer Revenues… for the Richest

Now what in the world made them decide to make this paltry move.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

39. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2020, 15:38 Acleacius

38. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2020, 15:33 Acleacius

roguebanshee wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 13:29:
Acleacius wrote on Feb 23, 2020, 12:10:
Not to mention the term "shovelware" was created due to the crap titles m$ was rushing out the door.
The term "shovelware" was used in the 80s, usually for rushed movie license games released on multiple 8-bit systems. At least in the game magazines I read at the time.
Oh, looks like we both missed it by a decade.
Shovelware

37. Re: Op Ed Feb 23, 2020, 15:29  Prez 

- Mahatma Gandhi

56 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >