Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Gothic Remake Moving Forward

THQ Nordic announces plans to enter full production on a Gothic Remake following the positive reaction to the playable experimental prototype they released late last year. They report over 94% of the respondents to their survey were in favor of going forward with an updated version of the RPG: "Over 180.000 players have played the playable teaser so far. On the evening (CET) of February 16 2020, THQ Nordic took the survey offline, and hereby publicly releases the raw data of the survey, as well as highlight graphs. With more than 43.000 answered surveys and over 9.000 (yes, really!) reviews on Steam and various discussions on all social media platforms, there is enough data to check." The next step will be to set up a production studio in Barcelona, and they say they do not have a release window yet, but this will not be coming this year. Here's the official website, here's the trailer from their playable teaser, and here's more on the plan:
THQ Nordic will establish a new studio based in Barcelona, Spain, and will then assess what players liked and what they want to be different than in the playable teaser. One of the most common mentions was for example the demand for a grittier and less colourful world.

"We are up for the challenge to develop a full Gothic Remake which will stay as faithfully as possible to the original experience and transport the atmospheric world of Gothic into a high quality look and carefully modernizing certain gameplay mechanics." says Reinhard Pollice Business and Product Development Director at THQ Nordic.

The full Gothic Remake will go into production and will be developed for PC and next gen consoles. There is no release window available yet, but it will not be coming in 2020.
View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Gothic Remake Moving Forward Feb 20, 2020, 03:21 tanith

Like I said, I love Gothic more than any other video game ever. Gothic 2 with night of the raven was really good, too and gothic 3 was okay.

With that said I couldn't finish Risen, didn't finish Risen 2 and almost finished Risen 3. Elex, on the other hand, was a completely different experience. Although you notice that, even in a sci-fi setting, they cannot let go of the medieval fantasy aspect it's a stellar game. I just ate it up.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Gothic Remake Moving Forward Feb 19, 2020, 19:26 WannaLogAlready

Elex,

The game world is enormous, diverse, and so detailed.

If you play all possible quests on the 3 factions, 4 really, before commiting to one (as I did in Gothic), the number of experiences to enjoy multiplies greatly.

This comment was edited on Feb 19, 2020, 20:22.

16. Re: Gothic Remake Moving Forward Feb 19, 2020, 19:17 Razumen

Tavil wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 10:33:
Where are they getting that 94%? Everyone I saw who tried it said under no circumstances should they go forward with the remake based on that terrible
demo.

It wasn't a demo, and they're surely going to change a lot based on feedback. Not to mention many aspects were clearly rushed.

15. Re: Gothic Remake Moving Forward Feb 19, 2020, 17:22 yonder

The tiny bit I've seen makes me think this will be like 2016's Thief:. COMPLETELY missing a large % if the appeal.

The interface is among the most immersion-breaking I've ever seen, which is an incomprehensible sin in a game like Gothic.

Literally all you need to do is update the graphics, make the control scheme less mind-numbing, and fix a few huge flaws in combat.

But for some reason they seem to think we need massive outline-highlights on EVERYTHING that can be interacted with, huge on-screen arrows pointing to every potential quest objective, and a ? or a ! above the head of every NPC on-screen, because apparently the target audience is too stupid to know how to play a game without literally everything explained to them on-screen.

It would be like if the amazing 2016 DOOM played like a poor CoD clone.

I truly hope the horrendous pile of crap I saw being played was NOT a proper representation of what's in store.

14. Re: Gothic Remake Moving Forward Feb 19, 2020, 15:20  Darks 

Cant believe I never saw this demo released. Going to have to check it out.

Wonder if they will try to put some kind of two players Coop in this new release?

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

13. Re: Gothic Remake Moving Forward Feb 19, 2020, 15:07 Bill Borre

Yeah me too. I completed this recent demo which, irc is a reworking of the beginning of the original game. I got farther in the demo than the original because I found Gothic's controls awkward and it just didn't grab me so I never finished it.  

12. Re: Gothic Remake Moving Forward Feb 19, 2020, 13:50 Spektr

I tried Gothic 3 but I could not keep me interested. The graphics were awful but I was not amazed by gameplay either.
The bar has been raised for European RPGs with the Witcher and Kingdom Come,
Not sure those few seconds of gameplay are enough to make it interesting enough to me...

11. Re: Gothic Remake Moving Forward Feb 19, 2020, 13:48  Kxmode 

Tipsy McStagger wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 12:44:
WannaLogAlready wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 11:07:
Also Elex -fantastic game, Gothic with a jetpack, good times !

I have ELEX on my wishlist.. never got the urge.

Playing RDR2 right now, might want to give that a shot after.

I played ELEX to completion (have 83 hours logged). It plays like Gothic with a story and setting that mirrors Gothic but bigger. It's also impressive the amount of post-apocalyptic detail Pyranha added. You could walk into random buildings and see the results of what happened to its residents. The graphics are excellent especially in 4K with all settings maxed out. The control, as is typical of most Pyranha games, remains clunky. Like Gothic, ELEX is heavy on factions. Each faction has a rich history and cultural identity. Be aware, going from an incredibly polished game like RDR2 to ELEX is going to be jarring and may cause you to judge it severely. Just be mindful that ELEX had a budget significantly less, and it shows throughout the game. That said, the game is very charming and a fantastic spiritual offspring of Gothic.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

10. Re: Gothic Remake Moving Forward Feb 19, 2020, 12:44  Tipsy McStagger 

WannaLogAlready wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 11:07:

I have ELEX on my wishlist.. never got the urge.

Playing RDR2 right now, might want to give that a shot after.

9. Re: Gothic Remake Moving Forward Feb 19, 2020, 12:13  Cutter 

Gothic is easily one of the best CRPGs of all time so all they have to do is use some cutting edge graphics, clean up the controls, and we're good. Oh yeah, and the price needs to be reasonable - like $20 or something. I love the game but won't be buying it for $40-$60 simply because it's been updated.

"Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin…I don't know why I just said that. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but gonna stand by it. Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin! I'm owning it." - Rick Sanchez

8. Re: Gothic Remake Moving Forward Feb 19, 2020, 12:12 eRe4s3r

Prez wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 11:44:
Had to google remake vs. remaster vs. reboot. As long it isn't Reforged...

It could also be Refjorged and then things would be scary...

7. Re: Gothic Remake Moving Forward Feb 19, 2020, 11:44  Prez 

Had to google remake vs. remaster vs. reboot. As long it isn't Reforged...  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

6. Re: Gothic Remake Moving Forward Feb 19, 2020, 11:42 HorrorScope

Where are they getting that 94%? Everyone I saw who tried it said under no circumstances should they go forward with the remake based on that terrible
demo.

94% were favorable in making a good Gothic game, they use world play 94% of the respondents to their survey were in favor of going forward with an UPDATED VERSION. IMO with the feedback that really means, it has to be a lot different than what the demo showed. It was brutal all the way around.

5. Re: Gothic Remake Moving Forward Feb 19, 2020, 11:07 WannaLogAlready

Very happy and hope they do a good job !

Played and loved these games many times, and surely will again:

Gothic 1, recent graphics fan mod updates are very good.
Gothic 2 with night of the raven
Gothic 3 +expansion corrected and augmented with fan patch

Risen 1, 2, 3

Liked a lot Arcania Gothic 4, though it wasn't by Piranha Bytes.

4. Re: Gothic Remake Moving Forward Feb 19, 2020, 10:46 tanith

My most favourite game, the original Gothic.

This was okay.

I'm glad that they are going along with it, though.

3. Re: Gothic Remake Moving Forward Feb 19, 2020, 10:39  Primalchrome 

demo.
I wonder if the survey results were skewed by those excited responding...and those disgusted just throwing it in the trash.

2. Re: Gothic Remake Moving Forward Feb 19, 2020, 10:33 Tavil

demo.

1. Re: Gothic Remake Moving Forward Feb 19, 2020, 10:32  wtf_man 

Hopefully the controls aren't wonky like the original.

If they put it on GOG, I'll pick it up.

Get your games from GOG DAMMIT!

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >