Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week

Larian Studios announces plans for a gameplay reveal of Baldur's Gate 3 next week at PAX East. They say this will take place on February 27th at 3:30 p.m. EST. To help tide everyone over until then they offer a live action World Gameplay Reveal Announcement Teaser. Here's an outline of the plan:
Larian Creative Director Swen Vincke will be live on stage with a very special guest to reveal more about the game's story and mechanics. The show will offer seating for 1,000 people, and those in attendance can take part in a live Q&A with the developers, but don’t worry if you can’t make it in person - the action will also be streamed on YouTube.

Larian will also be bringing the excitement to fans at PAX East all weekend with an all-new booth (#14309) dedicated to Baldur’s Gate 3, where the team will be serving up live gameplay presentations starting after the big reveal.

Baldur’s Gate 3 was announced at E3 last year, and since then Larian has grown to nearly 350 people. The studio continues working on new technology to create a truly next-generation RPG, spanning over 100 hours of content with all the depth you’d expect, and many surprises along the way that even fans of the critically acclaimed Divinity Original Sin 2 won’t expect.
View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 20, 2020, 17:16 eRe4s3r

Verno wrote on Feb 20, 2020, 10:32:
No, it's the exact opposite of that. Older fans prefer TBC and hate RTWP.

I think you mean you do. You complained endlessly about how hard RTWP is despite never having actually explored the options provided to ease the experience. RTWP is totally fine and most RTWP games have numerous "pause" options for events if you need to "slow things down" due to age or whatever. RTWP is a whole different feel and balance than Turn Based and both approaches have their merits for RPGs.

I assume you never played pathfinder or 5e and thus have no clue why "pause on action" doesn't work for systems with modal out-of-turn abilities and where the entire combat balance is based on initiative and order of actions. Doesn't meant RTWP can't work to some extend, but Kingmaker is the perfect example why it doesn't when the ruleset is complex enough. Or rather, when the encounter becomes complex and deadly.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 20, 2020, 10:32 Verno

No, it's the exact opposite of that. Older fans prefer TBC and hate RTWP.

I think you mean you do. You complained endlessly about how hard RTWP is despite never having actually explored the options provided to ease the experience. RTWP is totally fine and most RTWP games have numerous "pause" options for events if you need to "slow things down" due to age or whatever. RTWP is a whole different feel and balance than Turn Based and both approaches have their merits for RPGs.

Playing: Days Gone
Watching: Altered Carbon

26. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 20, 2020, 06:43 Jonjonz

I have played both TBC and RTWP RPGS and to me what defines how well/fun they play is the party AI, not the time or turn formats. I prefer party AI that does not have to be micromanaged. I don't mind watching the game play itself, that entertains me, while I know some people dissed Dungeon Siege I and II for that.

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

25. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 20, 2020, 03:39 MoreLuckThanSkill

It's kind of a moot point, since apparently BG3 will offer some sort of toggle for RTWP or turn based, but I always felt that RTWP always made BG and IWD series easier, depending on the player's level of micro.

I guess I can see it being a hassle, but it allowed for kiting tougher creatures with one guy, while ranged characters and spellcasters burn it down, or just other methods of control in general. That's before getting into the semi-exploit nature of catching moving enemies in doorways or whatever choke point with your melee characters and getting in free hits before they retarget. Weimer Tactics and Sword Coast Stratagems almost seem like they were made for this sort of play; in a pure turn based mode you'd be totally outgunned in BG2 with mods, for almost the entire game.

Of course, a lot of people hate RTS type games, so this amount of RTWP dislike isn't surprising.

Anyway, hopefully it's all good news on the 27th.

24. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 19, 2020, 22:39  MeanJim 

Cutter wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 17:06:
No, it's the exact opposite of that. Older fans prefer TBC and hate RTWP. And Larian has shown how to do TBC right. No TBC is why I'm not backin the new Pathfinder game.

There is a mod that makes the combat turn based. Someone here recommended it, and I will definitely be using that whenever I get around to playing it. It looks like their new game is going to have both turn based and RTWP.

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 17:22:
Meh, it's probably 50/50 on people who want TBC vs RTWP. I loved the RTWP in BG1 and BG2 especially, but yes, Pathfinder:Kingmaker did NOT work well with RTWP. Mostly because towards the end of the game some enemies had complete bullshit 10 attacks a round with stuns and other nonsense.

However BG3 turns out though, I'll most likely be fine with it. D:OS2 turn based and Larian's engine was great, but if they want to go traditional BG series RTWP I'll still love it. Just pause more if you need to.

I hate RTWP. I like to play my games, not watch them play themselves. The auto-pause options are the only thing that makes RTWP barely tolerable, otherwise I'd most likely not play it, or put it on the lowest difficulty and let it play itself but only if the story were good enough.

The only reason RPGs went real time (with pause) is because of Diablow. After Diablo came out, everyone thought they had to with real-time combat because Diablow was a hit with ADHD gamers. There was an interview with Larian a while back where they talked about how the original Divinity game had a tactical, turn based combat similar to what Original Sin has. When Diablo came out right before Divinity was going to release, the publisher delayed it and made them switch it to a real-time system, so they had to dumb down the combat to make it work in real time.

I recently bought the enhanced editions of Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Icewind Dale and Neverwinter on GOG. I bought the Enhanced Edition of Planescape: Torment on GOG on sale for $5 a while back, and then a few weeks ago, they sent out a code to owners offering 85% off the other Enhanced Editions. That made them only $3 each, so I figured why the hell not. I just wanted to check it out and loaded BG1EE, created a character and played the first few hours. I had forgotten how frustrating the combat is in those games, and it gets more frustrating as your party grows. When I get around to playing it through, I'm probably going to turn the difficulty down, set AI behaviors on party members and just control my character.

I guess I've been spoiled by playing Pillars of Eternity, which has better options for auto pause, and a better interface that make RTWP more tolerable because it can be set up to play almost like a turn-based combat system. I can't wait to play Pillars 2 in turn-based mode.

eRe4s3r wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 21:47:
Even more so because the game I original didn't back because no turn based mode. Will have an optional turn base mode that you can toggle in and out of at will (which is the literal best of all worlds)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/2755596

I'm glad to hear that a turn based mode will be in the game this time. I might back this one now. Once they get it working, It would be nice if they go back and add it to the first game like Obsidian did with Pillars 2, or they could put it in as a beta patch for the first game for people test it and fine tune before a final release in both games.

"As a species, we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room,
we pick sides and start dreaming up reasons to kill one another. Why do you
think we invented politics and religion?"

23. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 19, 2020, 21:47 eRe4s3r

Prez wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 21:18:
Yeah, the classic D&D feel like with the Icewind Dale series and Baldur's Gate is best with turn-based combat imo. I absolutely love the Black Isle classics.

Even more so because the game I original didn't back because no turn based mode. Will have an optional turn base mode that you can toggle in and out of at will (which is the literal best of all worlds)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/owlcatgames/pathfinder-wrath-of-the-righteous/posts/2755596

22. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 19, 2020, 21:18  Prez 

Yeah, the classic D&D feel like with the Icewind Dale series and Baldur's Gate is best with turn-based combat imo. I absolutely love the Black Isle classics.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 19, 2020, 21:13 eRe4s3r

Darks wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 15:18:
Rhett wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 14:20:
Darks wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 11:02:
Anxiously waiting, but very skeptical about the game play.

TB combat - will be pissed to no end.

No Coop, again pissed.

Steam Release - Thrilled!

Trying to keep exceptions in check - Yes!

According to the Steam page, it has full co-op support though? I assume it'll be the same engine as DOS 2, which fully supported co-op.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1086940/Baldurs_Gate_3/

I'm sure it will be Coop, but its the TBC that's going to piss a lot of the older devoted fans off. And seeing how Larian is doing it and most likely with their DOS engine they have in place is what worries me.

No, it's the exact opposite of that. Older fans prefer TBC and hate RTWP. And Larian has shown how to do TBC right. No TBC is why I'm not backin the new Pathfinder game.

I don't think Darks even played anything modern or he'd know why 5th edition and pathfinder are 2 things that should never ever have been rtwp, pathfinder especially is basically unplayable without taking at least 30 seconds a turn. The entire combat and CR system is balanced around this and using your class and situational bonuses to your advantage, by carefully moving to specific locations etc. Pathfinder has all that, but in 6 seconds and with broken movement and combat order, it's an unplayable mess only because of this, the ruleset itself works fine if turns are taken properly in initative order as the entire ruleset is meant to be played. If Larian does real time combat in 5e I can already predict you 90% of steam reviews will call it "impossible difficult" because enemies in 5th edition can do shit outside of their turns. And that shit (called reaction casting) can not exist in real time.

In fact I'd argue Kingmaker would not be regarded a "difficult and unplayable mess" if it had been turn based from the start, because the game is actually pretty easy once you enable turn based mode.

20. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 19, 2020, 20:01 HorrorScope

They are saying it is a new engine because it is so different, was very surprised to hear this.  

19. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 19, 2020, 18:55 KS

No Coop, again pissed.

According to the Steam page, it has full co-op support though? I assume it'll be the same engine as DOS 2, which fully supported co-op.

I'm sure it will be Coop, but its the TBC that's going to piss a lot of the older devoted fans off. And seeing how Larian is doing it and most likely with their DOS engine they have in place is what worries me.

Pissed off a D&D game can be played with multiple people?

Show me.

18. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 19, 2020, 18:13  Primalchrome 

No true Scotsman....  

17. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 19, 2020, 17:52 clint

Exciting. Good luck to Larian as there is no way to keep everyone happy.
My first playthrough of bg2 was coop so that's my hope for the game.

There is also a lot of motion capture so it seems more than dos2 standard engine stuff, unless its just for cut scenes. Hoping for something more than a dos2 clone.

I am actually amazed it took this long to come. When kotor came out, I was fully expecting bg3 with a similar look and everyone was buzzing that this was the way to go for rpgs now. Mass effect proved the concept, dragon age etc. I personally dont need the top down, turn based look and feel of the previous games, or the newer dos games. Story and immersion are my needs.
Id be happy with a first person skyrim open world go at it.

good luck everyone!

16. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 19, 2020, 17:22 MoreLuckThanSkill

Meh, it's probably 50/50 on people who want TBC vs RTWP. I loved the RTWP in BG1 and BG2 especially, but yes, Pathfinder:Kingmaker did NOT work well with RTWP. Mostly because towards the end of the game some enemies had complete bullshit 10 attacks a round with stuns and other nonsense.

However BG3 turns out though, I'll most likely be fine with it. D:OS2 turn based and Larian's engine was great, but if they want to go traditional BG series RTWP I'll still love it. Just pause more if you need to.

15. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 19, 2020, 17:06  Cutter 

No Coop, again pissed.

"Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin…I don't know why I just said that. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but gonna stand by it. Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin! I'm owning it." - Rick Sanchez

14. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 19, 2020, 17:02 MoreLuckThanSkill

I loved D:OS and D:OS2, hopefully Larian does a great job with BG3.

I will buy it on Gog as soon as it's available; no doubt some time in 2023-2024.

In the meantime, March 3 is the Division 2 expansion, woohoo more third person shooter grindy murder fest!

13. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 19, 2020, 16:43 Osc8r

I really, REALLY enjoyed DOS... but DOS2 was kind of a let down in my eyes.

That said, if anyone can do BG3 right at this current time it's Larian so, *fingers crossed*.

So just as long as it has full co-op support I'm in...which it sounds like it does:

"In an interview with PCGamesN, Vincke confirmed that Baldur’s Gate 3 is “going to be single and multiplayer, and that [players] are going to be able to play the campaign cooperatively, because that’s something that we pioneered in the Divinity Original Sin series”. He went on to add that he thought this was a really important feature, saying “I think it should be part of every single RPG that comes out to be honest”.

12. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 19, 2020, 16:20 Rhett

Whatever it is, I have faith in Larian. DOS was so much fun.  

11. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 19, 2020, 15:39 ColoradoHoudini

I just wanted endless content for DOS2!

I hope BG3 is turn-based, so much better imho

10. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 19, 2020, 15:18  Darks 

No Coop, again pissed.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

9. Re: Baldur's Gate 3 Gameplay Reveal Next Week Feb 19, 2020, 14:20 Rhett

No Coop, again pissed.

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >