Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

No Man's Sky Living Ship Released

The No Man's Sky Website announces the release of a new Living Ship update for No Man's Sky. Hello Games says this is part of a move towards more frequent releases of new content that will be of interest to players of their space exploration game. Here's a Living Ship Trailer, and here are some details to scare the living ship out of you:
The Living Ship update introduces the first new starship since ATLAS RISES. But this is more than just a ship – these are strange and beautiful creatures with lives of their own. A new series of missions will take players through the ancient Korvax experiments that led to the birth of these interstellar beings. Players who wish to incubate, grow and ultimately fly their own living ship should visit the Space Anomaly and follow the call of the Void Egg…

These beautiful, organic, slightly psychedelic ships are uniquely grown (and as with everything in the No Man’s Sky universe, procedurally-generated). They can’t be upgraded in the same way as a traditional ship: each one is individually hatched, with a unique set of internal organs that determines its abilities. If you want a fast hyperdrive, you’ll need to nurture the right sort of life within your ship…

As much attention has been given to the interior of the ships as the exterior. Living ships house you within strange, organic cockpits, requiring players to fly their ship by grasping vein-covered tendrils. It looks and feels suitably unsettling to fly in VR!

The Living Ship update also brings a host of new discoverables to deep space, adding all-new space encounters to the off-planet experience. Strange new lifeforms and mysterious objects now wait between the planets, bringing more variety and unique experiences to space travel.
View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: No Man's Sky Living Ship Released Feb 21, 2020, 09:23 Drayth

Lurker's Guide was pretty much my homepage while that show aired.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: No Man's Sky Living Ship Released Feb 20, 2020, 19:10  Rigs 

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 21:51:
Drayth wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 20:56:
There's actually a few other parallels between the two shows than that, but I can't go there without getting all spoilery.
Yeah, I remember reading an article on it. There are many parallels, which in of themselves aren't prove of plagiarism, but it looks pretty suspicious...

Funny this subject came up as I was just reading about this very thing a few days ago for a friend who asked the same exact question. In an effort to find some detailed information one way or another, I ran into this, which seems to be as comprehensive a look into it as anyone could possibly want, or indeed, need.

On a semi-related note, the first place I looked was the B5 Lurker's Guide, which has been the BE ALL and END ALL of B5's production since before the beginning. I, personally, consider it required reading for any self-respecting B5 fan.

=-Rigs-=

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 2020, 19:21.

26. Re: No Man's Sky Living Ship Released Feb 20, 2020, 17:12 Drayth

MT Silver wrote on Feb 20, 2020, 06:33:
I can't believe there's a discussion of living ships and classic sci-fi shows and no one has mentioned Farscape so far.

Or Lexx!

Ok, maybe not Lexx.

25. Re: No Man's Sky Living Ship Released Feb 20, 2020, 06:33 MT Silver

I can't believe there's a discussion of living ships and classic sci-fi shows and no one has mentioned Farscape so far.  

24. Re: No Man's Sky Living Ship Released Feb 20, 2020, 03:24  jdreyer 

OpticNerve wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 14:40:
While I do appreciate that they're adding more to the space stuff in NMS, it still feels like Hello Games is missing a huge opportunity with the space combat of the game.

It's frustrating because the base groundwork is there for them to do great things with NMS's space combat but they either are not aiming high enough or their engine doesn't allow them to do much with what's there. Right now space combat consists of constantly fighting bandit ships over and over again. Once in a rare while, you'll stumble across an AI cap ship being attacked by bandits (which shows that the potential is there) but that's about it.

Even something as simple as having bigger pirate/bandit cap ships or outposts to fight would be better than what's available now. Or better yet, having competing factions warping in to battle each other to take over a sector would add so much to the bare loop of space travel. Just steal some elements from a good sci-fi 4X game and add it to NMS.

Agree with all of this. The combat needs to be less simplistic and more interesting.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

23. Re: No Man's Sky Living Ship Released Feb 20, 2020, 03:19  jdreyer 

Kxmode wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 16:00:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 14:25:
Kxmode wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 14:21:
The first time I heard of the concept of a living spaceship was in the ST:TNG episode Tin Man.
Not saying they did, but they might have stolen the idea from JMS (Babylon 5). He has accused them of stealing various ideas from when he made his pitch to them. And obviously, B5 had living ships (the elder races had them).

I'm not saying that episode was the first appearance of bioships. I'm saying it is the first time I've seen it.

I never got into Babylon 5. The CG effects were a huge turn off for me. When it aired in the 90s, I thought the CG at the time was terrible and only slightly better than the effects used in FMV video games at the time. I recently tried to get into B5 and the CG is worse.

"Tin Man" first broad cast in 1990. Bab 5 S1 broadcast 1994.

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

22. Re: No Man's Sky Living Ship Released Feb 19, 2020, 21:51  Mr. Tact 

Drayth wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 20:56:
There's actually a few other parallels between the two shows than that, but I can't go there without getting all spoilery.
Yeah, I remember reading an article on it. There are many parallels, which in of themselves aren't proof of plagiarism, but it looks pretty suspicious...

This comment was edited on Feb 20, 2020, 19:17.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

21. Re: No Man's Sky Living Ship Released Feb 19, 2020, 20:56 Drayth

Kxmode wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 20:24:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 19:14:
Drayth wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 17:48:
Also, JMS accused Paramount of plagiarizing his work in DS:9, he never mentioned TNG that I know of.
Right. I have no evidence nor can I quote a claim of plagiarism, it was just me speculating wildly...

I think the charge stems from a meeting he had with Paramount suits to pitch B5, which they turned down. A year or so later, DS9 premiered that had mirrored many aspects of B5. Admittedly that was a foundational point. The show ended up going in a different direction than B5, in the same vein, Blizzard originally ripped off Warhammer 40K for StarCraft but gave the series a unique path.

20. Re: No Man's Sky Living Ship Released Feb 19, 2020, 20:24  Kxmode 

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 19:14:
Also, JMS accused Paramount of plagiarizing his work in DS:9, he never mentioned TNG that I know of.
Right. I have no evidence nor can I quote a claim of plagiarism, it was just me speculating wildly...

I think the charge stems from a meeting he had with Paramount suits to pitch B5, which they turned down. A year or so later, DS9 premiered that had mirrored many aspects of B5. Admittedly that was a foundational point. The show ended up going in a different direction than B5, in the same vein, Blizzard originally ripped off Warhammer 40K for StarCraft but gave the series a unique path.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

19. Re: No Man's Sky Living Ship Released Feb 19, 2020, 19:14  Mr. Tact 

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

18. Re: No Man's Sky Living Ship Released Feb 19, 2020, 17:48 Drayth

Kxmode wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 17:30:
Unfortunately, I can't! I wish I could ignore the special effects, but I can't. I know that makes me shallow. The acting and plot are top-notch for the first few episodes I've seen, but those "$20 special effects" completely breaks the immersion for me. The quality has to be consistent throughout. I think The Expanse is my Babylon 5 (I know, it's not the same story). But it has top-notch special effects, excellent story, great acting, and unfolding and an ever-growing conspiracy that just keeps pushing the limits. I almost stopped watching because it was such a slow-burner in the first season, but once it got to its starting point, the show kicked into overdrive and never let go of the throttle.

Your loss, but The Expanse is great too. I bet if you just keep watching you would eventually get wrapped up in the stories and the characters enough to start ignoring the FX (they do improve as the seasons go too).

OR...!! Pretend B5 is a cheesy (yet great) tv show within the Expanse universe! Note that things take off after first season, but somehow 99% of all 1'st season episodes become relevant in some way or form eventually.

One thing to note about B5 is it was basically the first American show to have a complete story arc laid out instead of doing the Star Trek episodic thing.

17. Re: No Man's Sky Living Ship Released Feb 19, 2020, 17:40  Kxmode 

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 17:10:
MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 17:04:
Babylon 5 is one of the greatest sci-fi shows ever. Unfortunately it suffers from early 90s CGI space battles. Try to ignore those, and enjoy some great classic tv, but yes, the CGI will look pretty bad these days.
Reminiscent of someone not wanting to play Half-Life, Quake or Doom because teh graffix suxors. If the acting/story/gameplay is there the dated effects/graphics don’t matter and are easily ignored.
I doubt anyone here is bothered by the original Star Wars or Star Trek special effects.

The special effects for the original Star Wars hold up today because tangible models were used. Ironically, TOS was revamped with modern CG to make the special effects look better. The movies used physical models like Star Wars, and they still look great today. Even the CG animation for the Genesis planet fly-by in Wrath of Khan still holds up well today.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

16. Re: No Man's Sky Living Ship Released Feb 19, 2020, 17:30  Kxmode 

Babylon 5 is one of the greatest sci-fi shows ever. Unfortunately it suffers from early 90s CGI space battles. Try to ignore those, and enjoy some great classic tv, but yes, the CGI will look pretty bad these days. :o

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 17:05:
Yeah, it is bad. You just need to ignore it. The story is the thing in B5. I've watched a bunch of it in recent re-broadcasts on the "Comet" network. I still think it is well worth watching, even if the SFX suck.

Unfortunately, I can't! I wish I could ignore the special effects, but I can't. I know that makes me shallow. The acting and plot are top-notch for the first few episodes I've seen, but those "$20 special effects" completely breaks the immersion for me. The quality has to be consistent throughout. I think The Expanse is my Babylon 5 (I know, it's not the same story). But it has top-notch special effects, excellent story, great acting, and unfolding and an ever-growing conspiracy that just keeps pushing the limits. I almost stopped watching because it was such a slow-burner in the first season, but once it got to its starting point, the show kicked into overdrive and never let go of the throttle.

15. Re: No Man's Sky Living Ship Released Feb 19, 2020, 17:21 jacobvandy

Requiring the grasping of veiny tendrils? How many?  

14. Re: No Man's Sky Living Ship Released Feb 19, 2020, 17:10  RedEye9 

Babylon 5 is one of the greatest sci-fi shows ever. Unfortunately it suffers from early 90s CGI space battles. Try to ignore those, and enjoy some great classic tv, but yes, the CGI will look pretty bad these days.
Reminiscent of someone not wanting to play Half-Life, Quake or Doom because teh graffix suxors. If the acting/story/gameplay is there the dated effects/graphics don’t matter and are easily ignored.
I doubt anyone here is bothered by the original Star Wars or Star Trek special effects.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

13. Re: No Man's Sky Living Ship Released Feb 19, 2020, 17:05  Mr. Tact 

Kxmode wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 16:00:
I never got into Babylon 5. The CG effects were a huge turn off for me. When it aired in the 90s, I thought the CG at the time was terrible and only slightly better than the effects used in FMV video games at the time. I recently tried to get into B5 and the CG is worse.
Yeah, it is bad. You just need to ignore it. The story is the thing in B5. I've watched a bunch of it in recent re-broadcasts on the "Comet" network. I still think it is well worth watching, even if the SFX suck.

12. Re: No Man's Sky Living Ship Released Feb 19, 2020, 17:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

11. Re: No Man's Sky Living Ship Released Feb 19, 2020, 16:00  Kxmode 

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 19, 2020, 14:25:
The first time I heard of the concept of a living spaceship was in the ST:TNG episode Tin Man.
Not saying they did, but they might have stolen the idea from JMS (Babylon 5). He has accused them of stealing various ideas from when he made his pitch to them. And obviously, B5 had living ships (the elder races had them).

I'm not saying that episode was the first appearance of bioships. I'm saying it is the first time I've seen it.

10. Re: No Man's Sky Living Ship Released Feb 19, 2020, 14:40 OpticNerve

While I do appreciate that they're adding more to the space stuff in NMS, it still feels like Hello Games is missing a huge opportunity with the space combat of the game.

It's frustrating because the base groundwork is there for them to do great things with NMS's space combat but they either are not aiming high enough or their engine doesn't allow them to do much with what's there. Right now space combat consists of constantly fighting bandit ships over and over again. Once in a rare while, you'll stumble across an AI cap ship being attacked by bandits (which shows that the potential is there) but that's about it.

Even something as simple as having bigger pirate/bandit cap ships or outposts to fight would be better than what's available now. Or better yet, having competing factions warping in to battle each other to take over a sector would add so much to the bare loop of space travel. Just steal some elements from a good sci-fi 4X game and add it to NMS.

9. Re: No Man's Sky Living Ship Released Feb 19, 2020, 14:25  Mr. Tact 

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >