Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Servers Offline

A post on Steam from developer WOLCEN Studio explains the issues they are struggling with following the launch of Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem, their eponymous action/RPG (thanks Yiddish). Apologizing for the inconvenience, they say they have taken servers offline as they work to avoid users losing their items and progress until they've worked through the problems that were overloading their database on the back-end:
After applying a hotfix last friday, users reported that their characters were missing, their stashes emptied, and their endgame progression wiped.

Immediately, we took the decision to shut down servers to prevent this from happening to a large amount of players while we find a way to fix it.

This issue was caused by a too large amount of requests leading the database to drop. We contacted our partners and looked for a solution with them, but that implied rolling back to a previous save of the database shortly before the hotfix.

Since then, we are working with our partners to restore the database and merge it with the current one, while fixing the issues that caused these incidents.

Unfortunately, other complications appeared in the process that led us to continuously push back the ETAs we provided for the resolution of the situation, and we're still working hard to fix these issues and make sure that the game works properly Online, which can still take some time.

Know that we're aware of other issues, including issues impacting the game's economy, and we're also working on them.

We want to sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, and to assure you that we're working around the clock to fix everything and ensure that you will have a pleasant experience when the Online mode comes back.

We will keep you informed on the evolution of the situation.
View
20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 19, 2020, 07:51 Undocumented Alien

Played for a few hours last night, had a good time. Definitely a hybrid of Diablo and PoE, in a very good way. Very happy to see an OFFLINE mode for those of us that will mostly play SP and shouldn't need an internet connection to play. So far so good IMHO, glad I purchased it, fun ARPG!  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2020, 23:12 Teddy

Kxmode wrote on Feb 17, 2020, 23:58:
Prez wrote on Feb 17, 2020, 15:51:
phinn wrote on Feb 17, 2020, 14:40:
The name of this game is pretty terrible, but the game looks good. Once they fix the servers I'll give it a shot.

Is it pronounced 'WOL-SEN' or 'WOKEN'?

Wol-sen. Anyone who pronounces it "Woken" (the "l" isn't silence, and there's no "k" in the word) should have their PC taken away and only be allowed to play video games on a Nintendo Switch.

Funny, having never heard it before, I automatically assumed it was pronounced 'VOL-CHEN'.

18. Re: Wolcen Feb 18, 2020, 13:04 MoreLuckThanSkill

About the actual game: hrm sounds great, bugs aside. I'll pick it up in 6months or so, once they hopefully stabilize the servers.

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 18, 2020, 03:37  Prez 

Kxmode wrote on Feb 17, 2020, 23:58:
The name of this game is pretty terrible, but the game looks good. Once they fix the servers I'll give it a shot.

Wol-sen. Anyone who pronounces it "Woken" (the "l" isn't silence, and there's no "k" in the word) should have their PC taken away and only be allowed to play video games on a Nintendo Switch.

First off, the Switch is a fine gaming console. Second, there are variances in the English language for pronouncing the 'c' that is followed by a vowel with both a hard c (sound like a 'k') and soft c (sounds like an 's').

We can see the shift by comparing Fowler’s original Dictionary of Modern English Usage with Robert Burchfield’s revised third edition. Here’s Fowler, 1926: “The spelling C-, & the pronunciation s-, are the established ones, & no useful purpose seems to be served by the substitution of k-.” Burchfield, 1996: “Except for the football club Celtic (in Glasgow), which is pronounced /’seltik/, both Celt and Celtic are pronounced with initial /k/ in standard English.”

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 17, 2020, 23:58  Kxmode 

15. Re: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Servers Offline Feb 17, 2020, 17:00 gilly775

I've heard WOL-SEN by a Youtuber.

14. Re: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Servers Offline Feb 17, 2020, 15:56 Nate

Online mode has been up since Sunday. I'm up to level 23 and playing in Act 2.

There are still some minor bugs and other issues but the devs say they are working on them.

13. Re: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Servers Offline Feb 17, 2020, 15:51  Prez 

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

12. Re: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Servers Offline Feb 17, 2020, 15:17 rist3903

I also have an issue with the name.

11. Re: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Servers Offline Feb 17, 2020, 14:40 phinn

10. Re: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Servers Offline Feb 17, 2020, 13:30 Quinn

Cutter wrote on Feb 17, 2020, 13:14:
So is this online only?

No. I've played in Offline mode since release.

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

9. Re: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Servers Offline Feb 17, 2020, 13:14  Cutter 

So is this online only?

"Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin…I don't know why I just said that. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but gonna stand by it. Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin! I'm owning it." - Rick Sanchez

8. Re: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Servers Offline Feb 17, 2020, 13:01 Quinn

Best ARPG in a decade. Puts D3 into another walk of shame.  

"F!#& YOU, MISSILE!"

7. Re: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Servers Offline Feb 17, 2020, 12:04 gilly775

Still a better launch than D3. I joined the kickstarter because I wanted a SP game, esp. in the rural area I live where Internet connectivity is flaky as it is. And I'm having a blast with it. Haven't seen any game breaking bugs, issues with my stash or disappearing saves like others have. I have seen some textures missing weirdness with stumps on the ground. Other than that I love the classless abilities of choosing weapons and skills from melee , casting and ranged characters.  

6. Re: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Servers Offline Feb 17, 2020, 12:04  RedEye9 

Beamer wrote on Feb 17, 2020, 11:50:
So I had to see what Darks meant on the female character, and here she is, and next is someone trying to photoshop her to be more accurate. Pretty funny.
totally unplayable amirite

Breasts too small. No cleavage. Waist is obese. Not enough exposed skin. Chicken legs. Halitosis and poor complexion.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

5. Re: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Servers Offline Feb 17, 2020, 11:56  Darks 

Beamer wrote on Feb 17, 2020, 11:50:
So I had to see what Darks meant on the female character, and here she is, and next is someone trying to photoshop her to be more accurate. Pretty funny.

They are not even showing the side view Beamer, its atrocious. hes got her back arched so badly, they her breast dont even look right, so lame that the devs thought this was even a good look.

One other thing I should add is the friends list, they are making you use their own in game fiends list to add people. Again, baffling. they opted to not use Steams hosted services. SMH!!!

The devs are so worried about the players cheating and spamming gold in the game that they have lost sight of what they were really trying to accomplish in the long run, a good fun Coop experience. Instead they have chosen to go all anal on the players by trying to control every little aspect of the game, economy especially.

I mean I get it that they want to stop cheating, but at the cost of a friendly fun coop game is not the answer. The easy fix is to allow player hosted game characters to not be allowed and played with online hosted games. This game is not a competitive game, so I cant understand why they are trying to control the game so much.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

4. Re: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Servers Offline Feb 17, 2020, 11:50  Beamer 

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Servers Offline Feb 17, 2020, 11:43 Mac

To be fair - 2 days of downtime at launch is a shocker, but the servers have been up from 1700GMT yesterday and running fine.

Having a blast!

2. Re: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Servers Offline Feb 17, 2020, 11:03  Primalchrome 

The temptation was strong to purchase this one day one. With all the issues I'm reading about, I'm glad that I held off....

You also hit the nail on the head with their implementation of co-op, Darks. I have no clue why devs can't see that a fluid and player hosted co-op is the best way to entice players. There is a point to be made for 'phoning home' to minimize piracy, but hosted servers are more recurring overhead to eat into revenue.

1. Re: Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem Servers Offline Feb 17, 2020, 10:56  Darks 

This games release has been so frustrating, the biggest thing I'm peeved about is the lack of hosting options for us as the player. We are not able to host our own Coop servers. and on top of that, Coop is not drop in drop out.

The Female char you can play as is so broken in her looks and proportions, its not even funny, If the modelers who made her thinks that she OK in any way, then he should start looking for a new job. because shes as fucked up looking as they get.

The games fun to play, but defiantly has some design issues that needs to be resolved. some of the decision making in the game baffles the hell out of me.

I'm worried that this game could become the next Sword Coast Legends and any time they publisher could pull the plug on servers leaving this game crippled and a single player only game. Another reason why we need the ability to host our own Coop servers.

For an indie developer, I really dont understand why they would want to spend extra money on a hosting service for their online game when all of this could have easily been resolved and saved them a lot of money in the long run by allowing the players to host their own Coop. So baffling.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

20 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >