Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

MrsBlue and I had a fine old time last night for Valentine's Day. We stuck to our plan of taking out some Chinese Food and watching television. They say that being married as long as we have can have a negative effect on your romance, but I think we proved that theory wrong quite nicely, thank you.

Obituary: Caroline Flack- TV presenter dies at 40.

Romantic Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Play: Speed Racing Pro 2.
Stories: How Not to Get Sick While Traveling. Thanks Yiddish.
More than 70,000 Lowe's ceiling fans recalled because the blades and break and become dangerous projectiles.
Emerson, Lake & Palmer Song 'Karn Evil 9' Being Turned into a Sci-fi Feature Film.
Science: Training A Dog To “Speak” With A Sound Board. Thanks Max.
People Born Blind Are Mysteriously Protected From Schizophrenia. Thanks Max.
Intelligence, behavior shape adulthood for people with autism. Thanks Max.
Images: NASA releases new 'Pale Blue Dot' photo for 30th anniversary. Thanks Max.
Saw this guy as the ticket taker as I was leaving the movie, and it put a huge smile on my face (no spoilers) - SonicTheHedgehog.
Media: Ridiculous costumes in PUBG Mobile. NSFW.
Great East Japan Earthquake, Tsunami. Wow!
Massive old fully stocked Russian bunker complex.
Follow-up: Is Coffee Good For You? Thanks Max.
View
19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2020, 18:00 1badmf

i should've been more specific. there should be a sticker on every PSU that shows its capacities. under the +12 volt rail it should show a capacity of 50 amps or more. less than that and you risk triggering overvolt protection if you install too many devices.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2020, 15:57  RedEye9 

Jivaro wrote on Feb 16, 2020, 15:46:
....so I am tempted to go with "psu is taking a shit" and call it a day.
i think you've got it under control
https://thinkcomputers.org/settling-the-debate-multi-rail-vs-single-rail-power-supplies/

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2020, 15:46  Jivaro 

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 18:44:
Jivaro wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 17:32:
Question

I have 950w power supply that I have been using for about 3 years with various builds. Most recently an i7-4k, Geforce 760, and 4 internal HDDs made up the core power consumption. (not including system fans and water cooling)
I bought myself a RTX2060 Super as a birthday present a few days ago because I finally ran out of excuses to keep my aging 760. I game in 1080p currently, if that matters, but I don't VR nor do I plan to anytime soon. It boots and runs fine. Everything is running smooth util I start a game or a 3DMark test. System hard powers off and restarts. I mention the restarts bit because in the bios I have it set so a power outage should not reboot. Anyway...
After trying a various number of "entry level techie" level of stuff, I went and grabbed my back up power supply. It has a 80 gold rating but its only 750 watts. I thought this would be an issue but as it turns out, everything worked fine. I switched everything back to 950watt and 760, gaming works fine. 2060 and 950watt and I get reboots. 750 works with either card.
So, I get that my 950watt supply has an issue, I am just wondering what that issue is I guess. Seems weird to me.
Try different cables. If the gpu has more than one power connection try with a splitter on a single cable and try with 2 separate cables. If the psu is modular try a using one of its different connectors.

If you are plugged into a power strip or ups try bypassing them.

And what 1badmf said.

PSU could have shit the bed.

Is it a dual or single rail.
I think the general consensus is to buy/use single rail.

What’s the make/model/brand of both psu’s?

Thank you to both of you. The 950w PSU is an "Extreme", which is a generic brand. The 750w PSU is actually...lol...a 650w it turns out. I remembered it being higher I guess. It is a BFG and is powering the system just fine, even under intentional stress. I have no idea what the difference between single and dual rails are...so I can't touch on that. Neither power supply is modular and I tried switching up cables where possible with no change.

I did try to put the 950 into an older system with the old graphic card and some other salvaged parts. So far it can't make it through the windows install without hard powering off....so I am tempted to go with "psu is taking a shit" and call it a day.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2020, 07:18  RedEye9 

WTF is going on across the pond. Two other people involved with love island also offed themselves. Their version of faux noise, aka tabloids, must be really something. If simpletons didn't consume that crap scumbags wouldn't produce it.  

Vaccines Cause Immunity

15. Re: Out of the Blue - Valentines For Marrieds Feb 16, 2020, 06:50 Jonjonz

90% of marriage is shouting 'What' from different rooms.
Glad you found the other 10%.

"Meet the new Boss, same as the old Boss." - The Who.

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 16, 2020, 02:01 bigspender

NASA releases new 'Pale Blue Dot' photo for 30th anniversary. Thanks Max.

Beautiful. Carl Sagan's blue dot monologue changed my life. Do yourself a favour a listen to it. It's just as relevant, if not more so as it was when it was originally aired.

Is Coffee Good For You

Only if you ignore the fact that it raises your LDL cholesterol.....and elevated cholesterol kills 14 million people a year from heart-disease.... OK it's not quite that simple, but it's far from good for you. The only studies that show it's good for you are when already unhealthy people are consuming it.

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2020, 23:26  Burrito of Peace 

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 23:11:
Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 21:35:
In the next house, Mrs. Burriot has agreed that I have an underground bunker for my own, personal, evil lair. In reality, it's just going to be my personal datacenter and office but I'm so stoked!
Your secret underground lair can never have too many clones.

Meatware? Ewwwww! Hardware all the way!

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2020, 23:11  RedEye9 

Burrito of Peace wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 21:35:
In the next house, Mrs. Burriot has agreed that I have an underground bunker for my own, personal, evil lair. In reality, it's just going to be my personal datacenter and office but I'm so stoked!
Your secret underground lair can never have too many clones.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

11. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2020, 22:49  Kxmode 

I read a theory that said TENET, Nolan's upcoming film, is a sequel or rather a prequel to INCEPTION, and that they are supposed to be a reverse trilogy where the first film is the last in the sequence. That would explain why TENET is a palindrome. It would also be a magnum opus to his film Memento.

This comment was edited on Feb 16, 2020, 00:38.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

10. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2020, 21:35  Burrito of Peace 

In the next house, Mrs. Burrito has agreed that I have an underground bunker for my own, personal, evil lair. In reality, it's just going to be my personal datacenter and office but I'm so stoked!

This comment was edited on Feb 15, 2020, 23:25.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai

There are two types of computer users: Masochists and Linux users.

If you would like help or further details on a technical discussion we're having, email me at bnhelp (at sign) keepusiel.net . Pl

9. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2020, 21:17  Kxmode 

Blue wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 16:46:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 16:28:
jdreyer wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 16:21:
Oolala! Blue, you stud you!
I wonder if the takeout was from a golden rule violator? Chef

We found a new place that's so good it's startling. And no, they do not violate the golden rule.

That "golden rule" is interesting because the Mexican restaurants I visit who do that tend to have the best food. Most can't afford to update the menu so they show pictures of what the food looks like (that's essentially what I'm buying). They put forth an effort to make the food the good as possible. One restaurant by my work is operated by a nice couple who immigrated from Salvador. The food is amazing!

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

8. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2020, 18:44  RedEye9 

Jivaro wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 17:32:
Question

I have 950w power supply that I have been using for about 3 years with various builds. Most recently an i7-4k, Geforce 760, and 4 internal HDDs made up the core power consumption. (not including system fans and water cooling)
I bought myself a RTX2060 Super as a birthday present a few days ago because I finally ran out of excuses to keep my aging 760. I game in 1080p currently, if that matters, but I don't VR nor do I plan to anytime soon. It boots and runs fine. Everything is running smooth util I start a game or a 3DMark test. System hard powers off and restarts. I mention the restarts bit because in the bios I have it set so a power outage should not reboot. Anyway...
After trying a various number of "entry level techie" level of stuff, I went and grabbed my back up power supply. It has a 80 gold rating but its only 750 watts. I thought this would be an issue but as it turns out, everything worked fine. I switched everything back to 950watt and 760, gaming works fine. 2060 and 950watt and I get reboots. 750 works with either card.
So, I get that my 950watt supply has an issue, I am just wondering what that issue is I guess. Seems weird to me.
Try different cables. If the gpu has more than one power connection try with a splitter on a single cable and try with 2 separate cables. If the psu is modular try a using one of its different connectors.

If you are plugged into a power strip or ups try bypassing them.

And what 1badmf said.

PSU could have shit the bed.

Is it a dual or single rail.
I think the general consensus is to buy/use single rail.

What’s the make/model/brand of both psu’s?

Vaccines Cause Immunity

7. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2020, 18:34 1badmf

if it's an older PS it might not have adequate amperage on a single rail. i ran into this issue with my previous upgrade. i had an old 750 that was pre-modern high wattage monsters and distributed its amperage too evenly rather concentrating enough of it on a single, and my new vega 64 required more than any of its single rails put out.

your 80 gold 750w should be more than sufficient for a single card system.

6. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2020, 17:58  Cutter 

So I actually did get around to watching Dr. Sleep last night and it was pretty good. Definitely a slow burn kind of flick at 3 hrs but it didn't drag. It's a different beat from The Shining but it all seems familiar enough. Really solid film making and acting. 7/10 well worth the watch.

"Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin…I don't know why I just said that. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but gonna stand by it. Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin! I'm owning it." - Rick Sanchez

5. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2020, 17:32  Jivaro 

Question:

4. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2020, 16:46  Blue 

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 16:28:

We found a new place that's so good it's startling. And no, they do not violate the golden rule.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

3. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2020, 16:28  RedEye9 

Vaccines Cause Immunity

2. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2020, 16:21  jdreyer 

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

1. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2020, 15:47 Vincero

Right on Blue!  

19 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >