Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

More VR Owners Than Linux Users on Steam

This tweet highlights a factoid from the Steam Hardware & Software Survey, noting that 1.31% of respondents report owning VR headsets, with Oculus Rift in the top spot at 0.4% (thanks Primalchrome). This is contrasted with the 0.9% of Linux users in the survey. It will be interesting to see how much next month's release of Half-Life: Alyx influences the stats in the survey.
View
18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

18. Re: Re: More VR Owners Than Linux Users on Steam Feb 16, 2020, 13:54 MattyC

Kxmode wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 23:53:
LC wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 09:44:
0.9% Linux usage is pretty impressive considering Linux only has at best 2% of the PC marketshare. More likely only around ~1.5-1.75%.

That means almost half of Linux's users are gamers, which begs the question: Why do they play on a platform that's not a gaming OS?

We dual boot. Which is ultimately a double edged sword because then, in turn, developers have to think “well, then should we really spend resources developing this when they already dual boot?” Whatever

I'm like the man who single-handedly built the rocket and went to the moon. What was his name? Apollo Creed?
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

17. Re: Re: More VR Owners Than Linux Users on Steam Feb 16, 2020, 07:55  Beamer 

Kxmode wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 23:53:
0.9% Linux usage is pretty impressive considering Linux only has at best 2% of the PC marketshare. More likely only around ~1.5-1.75%.

That means almost half of Linux's users are gamers, which begs the question: Why do they play on a platform that's not a gaming OS?

It means almost half of Linux PCs have Steam installed. If you had a Linux machine, would you not have Steam installed, even if you also had a PC? When work gave me a Mac, I put steam on it.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

16. Re: More VR Owners Than Linux Users on Steam Feb 15, 2020, 23:55  Kxmode 

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 10:53:
More m/kb owners than controller users on steam.

Thank you for sharing obvious information.

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

15. Re: More VR Owners Than Linux Users on Steam Feb 15, 2020, 23:53  Kxmode 

William Shakespeare's "Star Wars" Act I, Scene 1: Aboard the rebel ship. / Enter C-3PO and R2-D2. / C-3PO: "Now is the summer of our happiness / Made winter by this sudden, fierce attack!" / R2-D2 — Beep beep, Beep, beep, meep, squeak, beep, whee!

14. Re: More VR Owners Than Linux Users on Steam Feb 15, 2020, 23:52  Kxmode 

jdreyer wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 00:35:
Steam doesn't even know I have a VR headset cuz it wasn't plugged in when I took the survey.

The hardware survey doesn't read the device if it is plugged in, it reads the drivers that run it.

13. Re: More VR Owners Than Linux Users on Steam Feb 15, 2020, 23:49  Kxmode 

Dev wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 21:15:
Wow! I wonder if that's a million ish? If maybe they have 100 million accounts who let the survey collect the data?

Steam has over a billion registered accounts, with at least around 100 million monthly active users. 1.31% puts that number at around 1.31 million VR users, at least.

12. Re: More VR Owners Than Linux Users on Steam Feb 15, 2020, 22:49 Verno

No surprise, we've had many discussions about the deficiencies of gaming on Linux and it will never go anywhere without broad industry support from hardware manufacturers and developers. VR has a better shot at mainstream success than PC gaming on Linux and that's despite a massive hardware buy-in requirement vs Free.  

Playing: Days Gone
Watching: Altered Carbon

11. Re: More VR Owners Than Linux Users on Steam Feb 15, 2020, 16:53 Bob

El Pit wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 05:24:
Or how about VR versions of all old Half-Life titles? You ssem to like VR, so please go ahead.

You can play a half-life VR conversion on the Oculus Quest already: Lambda1VR

10. Re: More VR Owners Than Linux Users on Steam Feb 15, 2020, 14:38 saltedicecream

About what you'd expect of a medium that's only a few years old. Think back to the first PC games and smartphones. Certainly not in line with the initial hype though.

As I see it, going forward the main question is how quickly they can improve the hardware to eliminate the major issues plaguing the user experience (and thus improve retention) and also create a sustainable business model for smaller devs in the interim. Hopefully Alyx will help solve the latter problem

9. Re: More VR Owners Than Linux Users on Steam Feb 15, 2020, 13:50 MattyC

Cut to a shot of the one guy who has a Linux VR setup. Wearing a SteamOS t-shirt. A single tear runs down his cheek...  

I'm like the man who single-handedly built the rocket and went to the moon. What was his name? Apollo Creed?

8. Re: More VR Owners Than Linux Users on Steam Feb 15, 2020, 10:53  RedEye9 

More m/kb owners than controller users on steam.

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene

7. Re: More VR Owners Than Linux Users on Steam Feb 15, 2020, 09:44 LC

6. Re: More VR Owners Than Linux Users on Steam Feb 15, 2020, 05:24  El Pit 

Valve, how about letting Nvidia give Half-Life 1 the same facelift they gave to Quake 2?
Or how about VR versions of all old Half-Life titles? You ssem to like VR, so please go ahead.

"There is no right life in the wrong one." (Theodor W. Adorno, philosopher)
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes." (Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi)

5. Re: More VR Owners Than Linux Users on Steam Feb 15, 2020, 03:02 Armengar

VR is great and im lucky enough to afford a rifts and a pc capable of running it. We also have two at work and about a dozen oculus quest too. My son finished uni but they were introducing VR in classes for virtual task walkthroughs - whole class, not just ones and twos.  

Its not the cough that carries you off but the coffin they carry you off in.

4. Re: More VR Owners Than Linux Users on Steam Feb 15, 2020, 00:50  Topaz 

Yes, it's definitely an undercount. VR headsets with smaller quantities in use aren't counted at all. (Like my Pimax 8K wasn't.)  

3. Re: More VR Owners Than Linux Users on Steam Feb 15, 2020, 00:35  jdreyer 

Steam doesn't even know I have a VR headset cuz it wasn't plugged in when I took the survey.  

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

2. Re: More VR Owners Than Linux Users on Steam Feb 14, 2020, 21:31 HoSpanky

Dev wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 21:15:
Wow! I wonder if that's a million ish? If maybe they have 100 million accounts who let the survey collect the data?

Yeah dunno. VR is a hoot, although it's absolutely NOT a replacement for normal gaming. Just like an airplane is a terrible replacement for a boat. Both have strengths, and developers who stick to those instead of trying to shoehorn in traditional desktop gaming styles will succeed.

1. Re: More VR Owners Than Linux Users on Steam Feb 14, 2020, 21:15  Dev 

18 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >