Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - RSS Headlines   RSS Headlines   Twitter   Twitter

Out of the Blue

Happy Valentine's Day! Here's hoping this brings your heart's desire, even if it's solitude. MrsBlue and I think we will celebrate with a romantic night of take-out Chinese food.

Thanks again to everyone who is participating in the ongoing discussions of our patronage plans, including the further feedback yesterday to my post Wednesday. A new sentiment emerged in yesterday's comments, as some expressed a willingness to support the site while continuing to allow ads to run once we get the ad-free version going. Frans and I discussed this, and it seems likely we'll be able to offer patrons the option of not opting out of ads if they so desire. Some also expressed interest in being able to pay for patronage via check. Please offer your outlook on this to help me figure out if I need to look into getting a post office box. We're not sure when all this will get underway, but next week is a distinct possibility.

Valentine Links: Thanks Ant and Neutronbeam.
Stories: Turtle fossil the size of a car unearthed, shows signs of ancient croc battle. Gamera! Thanks Max.
A man robbed a bank on a first date and forced his date to be his getaway driver. Like a movie plot.
Pizza sends record number of people to the ER in 2018. Thanks Acleacius.
Science: Want Unlimited Clean Energy? Just Drill the World's Hottest Well.
Bats’ immune system may be why their viruses can be deadly to people. Thanks Max.
With a litter of tactics, scientists work to tame cat allergies. Thanks Max.
Images: Aubrey Plaza posts adorable 'Parks and Recreation' reunion photo for Galentine's Day.
Media: Full "No Time to Die" Theme Released.
The Iron Mask Trailer: Schwarzenegger Vs Chan In Fantasy Epic.
How Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker Should Have Ended.
Astronaut Christina Koch Posts Video Of Reunion With Dog After Year In Space. Thanks Acleacius.
Follow-ups: Virus infects more than 1,700 health workers in China, 6 die.
In Defense of the Myers-Briggs. Thanks Max.
"Avenue 5" Renewed, Maybe "Donovan" Too.
View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2020, 00:40  RedEye9 

jdreyer wrote on Feb 15, 2020, 00:29:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 19:02:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 18:47:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 18:29:
Weird. I thought knew about Western Union... but when you try to go their website you ended up at an .ru web address. Goggling around a bit, didn't make me feel good about the company... $5 for $50 transfer as far as I could tell.
Step away from the keyboard and run a Malwarebytes scan
https://www.westernunion.com/
Uh yeah -- that gets redirected to a .ru address...
Goes here for me: https://www.westernunion.com/us/en/home.html
da comrade

Vaccines Cause Immunity
Welcome to the Anthropocene
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 15, 2020, 00:29  jdreyer 

Weird. I thought knew about Western Union... but when you try to go their website you ended up at an .ru web address. Goggling around a bit, didn't make me feel good about the company... $5 for $50 transfer as far as I could tell.
Goes here for me: https://www.westernunion.com/us/en/home.html

"Blizzard fucked up what should have been the easiest pile of free money ever." - NKD

29. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2020, 21:37  RedEye9 

1badmf wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 20:55:
Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 19:38:
Weird. It has now stopped doing it. I have no idea what was going on.. I launched a new window from your link and landed on the Russian Western Union site, but now I don't. Nothing changed (that I am aware of) on my end.

yeah i don't end up in .ru either. did you piss off putin or something?
Worse ... JaVanka

Vaccines Cause Immunity

28. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2020, 20:55 1badmf

Weird. It has now stopped doing it. I have no idea what was going on.. I launched a new window from your link and landed on the Russian Western Union site, but now I don't. Nothing changed (that I am aware of) on my end.

yeah i don't end up in .ru either. did you piss off putin or something?

27. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2020, 19:43  RedEye9 

wu.com sends me to https://www.westernunion.com/us/en/home.html
glad the gremlins left

edit
western union receipt
https://imgur.com/k7HpzPz
https://imgur.com/05Zvjx8

This comment was edited on Feb 14, 2020, 19:57.

Vaccines Cause Immunity

26. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2020, 19:41  Prez 

Bah. Who changed Bluesnews to an IT troubleshooting site while I wasn't looking???  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

25. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2020, 19:38  Mr. Tact 

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

24. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2020, 19:32  RedEye9 

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 19:26:
Well, it is the Western Union site in Russia -- I don't think it is malware or something... my DNS looks like it should...Malwarebytes found nothing.
Use a different browser and manually type in westernunion.com

Vaccines Cause Immunity

23. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2020, 19:26  Mr. Tact 

Well, it is the Western Union site in Russia -- I don't think it is malware or something... my DNS looks like it should...Malwarebytes found nothing.  

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedies." -- Groucho Marx

22. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2020, 19:09  RedEye9 

um, you got issues

Vaccines Cause Immunity

21. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2020, 19:02  Mr. Tact 

20. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2020, 18:47  RedEye9 

Vaccines Cause Immunity

19. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2020, 18:29  Mr. Tact 

18. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2020, 17:57  RedEye9 

Mr. Tact wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 13:48:
RedEye9 wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 13:34:
[Hence a $1 dollar money order from the local bodega. Keep the receipt , And if blue doesn’t get it you can get the money back.
What is the mechanism which would allow the local bodega to return your money? I guess if there was a way for them to verify whether or not it had been cashed and allowed them to cancel it. Is this a Western Union thing or something?
Yes.
Two main companies produce money orders, Western Union and MoneyGram. Grocery stores sell them, 7-elevens, walmarts sell them, my mom sells them. and bodegas and convenience stores etc etc
https://millennialmoney.com/money-orders-near-me/

Vaccines Cause Immunity

17. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2020, 17:29 Dirwulf

Happy Singles Awareness Day

16. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2020, 15:37  Mr. Tact 

RedEye9 wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 11:08:
https://wallethacks.com/post-office-po-box-rental-cost/
If box rent in your area is on the low end go for it (doubt it would be worth it if less than 10 folks want to do it this way). You can count me in and I’d send you a m.o.
I don’t have an issue w/patreon or PayPal either (I just shudder at their cut for doing fuckall)
The pricing here is lower than in your link, but still high enough it might not make sense without a large number of people saying they'd use it or if Blue had some other legitimate need for it.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2020, 15:36  Prez 

Cutter wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 15:31:
Prez wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 14:48:
I'm just fine being alone with my dogs this and every Valentine's day. And every other day out of the year. Relationships are so... messy.

Sounds like a good night to watch Wes Anderson's Isle of Dogs in that case. I think the best anti-Valentine's day flick to watch would probably be War of the Roses.

Maybe, The Shining? "I said, I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just going to bash your brains in. Gonna bash 'em right the fuck in! Ha ha ha!" Which reminds me, I need to watch Dr. Sleep

Yeah War of the Roses works as an anti-relationship movie. Also, I remember watching "Blue Valentine" and thinking that it served as a perfect public service message against marriage. Wow was that depressing. Perfect!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

14. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2020, 15:31  Cutter 

Prez wrote on Feb 14, 2020, 14:48:
I'm just fine being alone with my dogs this and every Valentine's day. And every other day out of the year. Relationships are so... messy.

Sounds like a good night to watch Wes Anderson's Isle of Dogs in that case. I think the best anti-Valentine's day flick to watch would probably be War of the Roses.

Maybe, The Shining? "I said, I'm not gonna hurt ya. I'm just going to bash your brains in. Gonna bash 'em right the fuck in! Ha ha ha!" Which reminds me, I need to watch Dr. Sleep

"Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin…I don't know why I just said that. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but gonna stand by it. Whatever you say Stone Cold Steve Austin! I'm owning it." - Rick Sanchez

13. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2020, 15:13  Mr. Tact 

Preach it Prez, preach it!  

12. Re: Out of the Blue Feb 14, 2020, 14:48  Prez 

- Mahatma Gandhi

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >